Page 5 of 8 First ... 34567 ... Last
Results 41 to 50 of 79

Thread: From A Customer Service Rep

  1. #41
    Posted by an unregistered user Guest-0256's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: From A Customer Service Rep

    People are kind of all over the map on this one... ignoring (mostly) the mid back and forth between the vulgar idiots, here's my two cents. America has a very "instant gratification" attitude for most everything, and consumerism is no different. Unfortunately stores, much like the rest of the universe, have rules to try to harmonize the chaos within which we all dwell. These rules and laws are designed to work in some general capacity; they are not to, or at least should not, be applied with a sense of rigid fanaticism. There are always those few on the fringe who deserve a bit of leniency.

    I once bought a fishing rod that I intended to use in September; I bought it early so I could put it out of my mind, and it sat unused for a couple of months awaiting that first use. Twenty minutes of light usage (and I mean light...) caused it to snap at the tip. Of course I didn't keep the receipt; I'm not obsessive-compulsive, or religious enough to keep every receipt for every little purchase I make.

    Some of the comments I've read here would imply that I don't have the right to return this piece of junk. It's a very strait-forward rule in black and white (or red and white I think with CT); no receipt, no return. I couldn't help but get pissed, but I didn't feel the need to compound the situation with the lady at the counter, who wasn't a bitch, or a nazi (again... you're an idiot; notice that I used "you're" in its proper context... lol). She was just a person who has a really crappy job "Customer Service" Did it matter that it was past the three month period? Had I had my receipt, would I have been been denied anyway?

    My point is, Keep your damned receipt, and make sure your product is working right away, otherwise you'll be stuck having to buy another cheap rod.

    Boo hoo some kid overfilled my truck on its oil change, or my tire wasn't sealed properly by that 17 year old working there, or my 16 dollar drill burnt out after a month because I didn't know how to maintain it (and because it only cost $16 dollars in the first place moron). Go to a professional garage if you want something done right rather than saving $0.12 going to the cheap guys only to be hassled by secondary problems. Buy the $150 tool that will last 20 years (then read the fuckin' maintenance manual). Also, be it forbid that anyone actually do a little research on an item before buying it, only to discover that it wasn't what they wanted, or that, like the price suggested, it wasn't worth the garbage it was packaged in.

    You can blame the store for peddling you this crap if you must, but really I don't see how that could make you feel any less stupid for buying it in the first place... (please, I use the word "You" in an editorial manner, I count myself among you). What's Walmart's slogan?: "Save money, live better"? "Better" are the cheaper knock offs that cost half as much and last half as long... you suppose they should say that they apply the word "better" as a relative term?

    At least buying quality items means you only have to cry once.

  2. #42
    Member RogerRZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Miramichi, NB
    Posts
    88
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: From A Customer Service Rep

    The bitter taste of poor quality lingers far longer than the initial sweetness of a cheap price.


    Words to shop by...

  3. #43
    Posted by an unregistered user Guest-0276's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    690
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: From A Customer Service Rep

    Quote Originally Posted by CT_MANAGER View Post
    From a current manager to a fellow manager? Amen to that! How can people even think about arguing the fact that in order to return a product it must be RESELLABLE.. In otherwords, would you the customer want to buy a vacuum that is full of cat fur? no? well that is why we want it sealed, unused.. In otherwords, you basically decided you didn't need it after all (BUT DID NOT USE IT).

    Some products we don't return or are more strict on for OBVIOUS reasons!

    ie. Booster packs and battery chargers (auto) = We don't return them or are more strict to stop people from using them and returning them (WE SELL PRODUCTS, WE DON'T LOAN).

    GPS = If it's opened, people usually just use it for the weekend trip and want to return it..

    THE BIG ONE.. TIRE CHAINS.. We DON'T EVER give refund on tire chains.. why? didn't use it? so.. you don't have to INSTALL THEM to USE THEM. They can be used completely sealed in the box and still be used. You have 72 hours (3 days) to see if they fit and if not, we will exchange for another size.
    I've opened up a few appliances just to see if they have all the parts. If they do then I open up another. It's a nervous tick I have. I even do it infront of the employee and keep on doing it even after they tell me to stop. And then I run out of the store knocking things over.

  4. #44
    Junior Member Annoyed-of-C-Tire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: From A Customer Service Rep

    I agree with the guys about the return...90 days is just fine. Why do you need more? If you baught something and it breaks...I'm assuming you want it back so exchange for an other. Now, if it's the 3rd exchange, then I would ask for my money back since its not getting you anywhere...I don't know how that would fly! You would hope that they would understand since it keep getting returned.

    I've purchased a car jack and it broke, was able to exchange with-out receipt since it was obvisouly one of theirs and I just wanted the same thing. So, with returns, it can be tricky depending on the situation.

    And no, I don't work for C-T...anymore, screwed me over way to badly! But I'm not gonna talk shit when it hasn't happen to me.

  5. #45
    Posted by an unregistered user Guest-0285's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: From A Customer Service Rep

    I must say KUDOS Mr/Miss Customer service rep.
    I to have work the customer service at canadian tire (as wells as cash, a department and promotions), and I agree with you and feel your pain.

    People listen up, do your part and we will do ours. Do you like being ripped off? No! Neither do we, that is our money as well, we work. Do you like it when someone opens up a box and it's the last one there? No! Neither do we, we have to stuff it back it. Majority of the time people grab one box, rip it apart, leave the stuff everywhere, then buy the one that's not opened. Do you like it when you go to buy a product and the packaging looks horrible and like someone probably use it? NO! NEITHER DO WE! Would you wanna buy a scummy used tent or nasty mattress/sleeping bag that gosh know's sleep on it?? HELL NO! NEITHER DO WE! We are consumers too, we want to walk into a store and expect a product to be in a reasonable packing, all the parts inside, unused, and be able to return that product with out a lengthy proccess.

    People who bitch and complain about returns, the more crap you try and bring back, the more restrictions they are gonna put up. If the problem the actual product being defective NOT A PROBLEM! But if it was out of your own stupidity that it is broken, don't try and come to us and expect us to return it.

    By the way, the quote "The customer is always right" is bull, no one follows that. The REAL qoute that got misread was "The customer has a RIGHT TO AN OPINION". And guess what? I have every right to kick you out of my store if your causes stuff!

  6. #46
    Posted by an unregistered user Guest-0527's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: From A Customer Service Rep

    Quote Originally Posted by ogopo View Post
    Woah! Woah! Ok, everyone take a deep breath. Name calling is not necessary.

    I see the repeated saying about how a customer would not want to buy an opened package product. Of course, this makes sense, but I see an overall negative attitude toward the customers in the CT return policy.

    Sure, no one wants to buy a product with open packaging. But doesn't CT stand behind the products it sells? When I managed a stored (not CT) we would not sell any products that we didn't genuinely believe in. If someone was not satisfied, we would take it back immediately. And of course we would take back something that had already been opened because how else would the customer know if it worked for them?!

    There was also a lot of talking about people lying. When the CUSTOMER SERVICE rep is first assuming that the customers are lying rather than first ensuring that they have a good experience at CT, then we have a problem. It is exactly this attitude which gets in the way of good interactions. When people go to customer service, it is usually because the already have a grievance. Treating people badly is not going to make them feel better. I understand that it's difficult to receive people who are unhappy but it's your job! Perhaps customer service reps need extra training to learn to deal with people? Even if CT is not a career, this would be great for the resume.

    Everytime I go to CT I end up having a terrible experience. And then I promise myself I won't return but after some time I find myself there again, usually because at the time it is the only option.

    Let me tell you about one of these experiences. I went in one day looking for a thermostat. I searched for a while and did not find it. So had to track down an employee, asked them where I would be able to find a thermostat, he gave a confused look I explained what at thermostat is, and he directed me to the kitchen section. Of course, there were no thermostats. Just large thermometers for cooking.

    So then I lined up for 15 minutes or so at customer service. I explained my problem and asked them where the thermostats are, they gave me the aisle number and I went there. Of course, the thermostats were locked away behind glass and a key was required to get in.

    I returned to customer service, stood in line again and told them my problem. So they made an announcement on the intercom for staff to go there to help me. I returned to the aisle and waited. And waited. And no one came. So I searched for someone. The first person I asked said, "I'm busy, ask someone else". The second person sighed heavily then finally opened the glass cover. Finally! I had a thermostat! But seriously, I was feeling like I would have to jump through hoops and do a dance just so that I would have the privilege of spending my money at their store!

    I could not let this go. So I returned to customer service and asked to report a grievance. There was no offer of manager, no form to fill out. Nothing. So I finally asked for a piece of paper and just wrote a note about how dissatisfied I was with my experience. And of course, no one ever contacted me about this.

    Never in my life have I had such trouble finding things or getting help at ANY store. CT is absolutely terrible.
    Looks like you as well as other customers.. are confused. We take back open boxes, ALL THE TIME. The only time we don't if it is passed the 90 day return policy and the item has no warranty. OR if it's past the return policy, defective, and you have a warranty where you have to call the manufacturer.

    I'm not sure why you waited at customer service for a thermostat. They are the people who deal with returns and you could really ask any cashier/person in the store to get someone to unlock the cabinet. It IS an autopart so common sense should tell you to wait at the autoparts counter, not customer service.

    If you wanted to report a problem, just ask to speak to a manager. You don't need an offer, they have to call one if you ask for one.

  7. #47
    Posted by an unregistered user Guest-0477's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: From A Customer Service Rep

    You made some interesting claims about how generous the policies supposedly are, at one un-named store.

    However, it is important to realize the difference between the official policies of Canadian Tire, and whatever practices may be in place at a particular store.

    Your description is nothing like the actual, written policies, which can be found at the web site (Returns, Refunds & Exchanges | Canadian Tire), and by calling the main Customer Service number at 1-866-746-7287.

    The written policy for refunds (at the site and on the receipt) is, the item has to be “in its original condition and packaging”. There is no guarantee that a particular store will bend the rules or do the customer a favour by giving refunds for any item that is not “in its original condition and packaging”.

    In addition, if you call the 1-866 number, they will also say that the item must be “unused” and that the package must be “unopened” or “sealed”. Many customers report being told similar things in the stores, and many people who claim they represent CT have posted the same practice here.

    You will find many stories on this and other web sites, where the store didn’t even follow that limited policy, and refused reasonable returns for a variety of reasons.

    This is one of the ways customers get screwed over by Canadian Tire. They are told by people like you that the policy is to give refunds, that there are “easy returns”, and to just “keep your receipt”. It isn't until they get to the Returns desk at a store near them, that they find out about CT's actual policies.

    After customers find out that the store won't give them a refund (and sometimes not even an exchange), they sometimes posts on this or other sites complaining that they were misled about CT’s policies. A typical response from the CT people is, ‘well, you should have found out about the policies before you bought anything, so it’s your own fault’.

    So, you are actually part of the problem, by misleading innocent customers into thinking all stores will give refunds (or even exchanges), when in fact there is no official, written policy that the customer to rely on.

    This is one of the many reason why people refer to CT’s return policies as a “scam” – people like you say returns are “easy”, but they turn out not to be easy at all for many customers.

    Before you go propagating any more incorrect information, consider educating yourself on the actual policies of Canadian Tire, as opposed to the more-lenient practices that your claim your store follows.

    You might also be interested in checking the official, written polices of your competitors, to see how good they are, compared to CT. Every other major Canadian retailer has superior polices to Crappy Tire, but many customers are unaware that CT as cut back in this way. So, when people like you start telling consumers what great policies CT has, you are just setting them up for frustration and loss.

    And you should check the Sale of Good Act and Consumer Protection Act (or similar legislation) that apply in your province or territory. You will probably find that your store is obligated to provide a refund (or at least a replacement) for a defective item, despite what CT’s policy is.

    (You might also wish to stop blaming the manufacturers for the terms of contract the Canadian Tire voluntarily entered into).

    Regarding the thermostat, it is obvious that this is the kind a home-owner mounts on the wall of their house or apartment, to control the furnace and/or air conditioner. It sounds like you would have sent the customer to the wrong department, too.

  8. #48
    Posted by an unregistered user Guest-0527's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: From A Customer Service Rep

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    You made some interesting claims about how generous the policies supposedly are, at one un-named store.

    However, it is important to realize the difference between the official policies of Canadian Tire, and whatever practices may be in place at a particular store.

    Your description is nothing like the actual, written policies, which can be found at the web site (Returns, Refunds & Exchanges | Canadian Tire), and by calling the main Customer Service number at 1-866-746-7287.

    The written policy for refunds (at the site and on the receipt) is, the item has to be “in its original condition and packaging”. There is no guarantee that a particular store will bend the rules or do the customer a favour by giving refunds for any item that is not “in its original condition and packaging”.

    In addition, if you call the 1-866 number, they will also say that the item must be “unused” and that the package must be “unopened” or “sealed”. Many customers report being told similar things in the stores, and many people who claim they represent CT have posted the same practice here.

    You will find many stories on this and other web sites, where the store didn’t even follow that limited policy, and refused reasonable returns for a variety of reasons.

    This is one of the ways customers get screwed over by Canadian Tire. They are told by people like you that the policy is to give refunds, that there are “easy returns”, and to just “keep your receipt”. It isn't until they get to the Returns desk at a store near them, that they find out about CT's actual policies.

    After customers find out that the store won't give them a refund (and sometimes not even an exchange), they sometimes posts on this or other sites complaining that they were misled about CT’s policies. A typical response from the CT people is, ‘well, you should have found out about the policies before you bought anything, so it’s your own fault’.

    So, you are actually part of the problem, by misleading innocent customers into thinking all stores will give refunds (or even exchanges), when in fact there is no official, written policy that the customer to rely on.

    This is one of the many reason why people refer to CT’s return policies as a “scam” – people like you say returns are “easy”, but they turn out not to be easy at all for many customers.

    Before you go propagating any more incorrect information, consider educating yourself on the actual policies of Canadian Tire, as opposed to the more-lenient practices that your claim your store follows.

    You might also be interested in checking the official, written polices of your competitors, to see how good they are, compared to CT. Every other major Canadian retailer has superior polices to Crappy Tire, but many customers are unaware that CT as cut back in this way. So, when people like you start telling consumers what great policies CT has, you are just setting them up for frustration and loss.

    And you should check the Sale of Good Act and Consumer Protection Act (or similar legislation) that apply in your province or territory. You will probably find that your store is obligated to provide a refund (or at least a replacement) for a defective item, despite what CT’s policy is.

    (You might also wish to stop blaming the manufacturers for the terms of contract the Canadian Tire voluntarily entered into).

    Regarding the thermostat, it is obvious that this is the kind a home-owner mounts on the wall of their house or apartment, to control the furnace and/or air conditioner. It sounds like you would have sent the customer to the wrong department, too.


    Sorry I don't think I fully explained everything about original packaging. If the item is defective, and purchased less than 90 days ago, we don't need the original packaging. This is because the item is defective and won't be going back on the shelves. All Canadian Tires SHOULD be following that same policy, because the original packaging is not needed for anything when it's going to defective. The other Canadian Tires in my city actually go by the same policy. If the item is in a box that was opened. We usually open the box, check everything that is inside, then seal the box back up if we are going to resell it.

    About the thermostat, I thought it was about a thermostat for a car, which would be found in automotive. Either way, there's no need for a long wait at customer service (and trust me I know how long of a wait it can be..)

  9. #49
    Posted by an unregistered user Guest-0477's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: From A Customer Service Rep

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Sorry I don't think I fully explained everything about original packaging. If the item is defective, and purchased less than 90 days ago, we don't need the original packaging. This is because the item is defective and won't be going back on the shelves. All Canadian Tires SHOULD be following that same policy, because the original packaging is not needed for anything when it's going to defective. The other Canadian Tires in my city actually go by the same policy. If the item is in a box that was opened. We usually open the box, check everything that is inside, then seal the box back up if we are going to resell it.

    About the thermostat, I thought it was about a thermostat for a car, which would be found in automotive. Either way, there's no need for a long wait at customer service (and trust me I know how long of a wait it can be..)
    Agreed that the packaging won't make a difference for getting a refund on a defective item.

    However, you are still wrong about the reason why it won't matter: it's because the official policy says that the store can refuse to give a refund, so the packaging won't help.

    Also, if the item is "repair only", then the policy says the store doesn't have to even give an exchange.

    And you are still wrong about the policies for 'unwanted' or 'change of mind' returns. The policy says the store can refuse to give a refund if the item is not "in its original condition and packaging", and the store have been adding the requirement that the item be "unused" and the package be "unopened" or "sealed".

  10. #50
    Posted by an unregistered user Angry CT Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    933
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: From A Customer Service Rep

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Agreed that the packaging won't make a difference for getting a refund on a defective item.

    However, you are still wrong about the reason why it won't matter: it's because the official policy says that the store can refuse to give a refund, so the packaging won't help.

    Also, if the item is "repair only", then the policy says the store doesn't have to even give an exchange.

    And you are still wrong about the policies for 'unwanted' or 'change of mind' returns. The policy says the store can refuse to give a refund if the item is not "in its original condition and packaging", and the store have been adding the requirement that the item be "unused" and the package be "unopened" or "sealed".
    Not sure why unopened and sealed is an issue? Is someone putting a gun to the customer's head and making them buy the item. Why does the store have to pay for a bad purchasing decision? When would the customer be responsible for their purchase?

Page 5 of 8 First ... 34567 ... Last

Similar Threads

  1. Customer service
    By galaxy in forum Personal Stories
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: October 13th, 2010, 03:52 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions