Page 2 of 10 First 1234 ... Last
Results 11 to 20 of 93

Thread: Canadian Tire doesn't honor their return policy?

  1. #11
    Posted by an unregistered user Guest-0168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Canadian Tire doesn't honor their return policy?

    No CT doesn't honor their return policy. CT is disgusting, like their managers attitudes(example above) When you want to return a defective product they make an issue out of it and refuse to return the product. The general manager lied through her teeth and tried to make me look like a lier. She said the reason for not returning the item was because she didn't know if she would get the money back from the manufacturer, pig.

  2. #12
    Posted by an unregistered user Guest-0169's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Canadian Tire doesn't honor their return policy?

    From the various feedback I've read it on this & other complaints sites, it would appear my experience last night is not isolated. CT appears to have a pattern of:
    1) having different return/exchange/repair policies for different items, and not sharing them with the customer until the time of return;
    2) only providing a hassle-free refund if it's in some obviously sealed packaging that has obviously never been opened;
    3) if it has been opened/used at all then it is not "resellable" and they won't accept the return;
    4) if it has been opened/used AND defective, they expect the customer to bear the burden of defective products through the warranty process.

    We'd had only 2 return experiences with the Bentall St location in Vancouver, and they were both negative. We have witnessed many others and they all seem unfair and insulting to the customer.

    I have never heard of a large retailer complain to their customer that they can't be sure they'll get money back from the manufacturer due to a faulty product -- and that's why they cannot accept a defective return. How is this a customer's problem?!?!

    I am thoroughly confused how CT manages to stay in busienss and how they haven't been taken to court for fraud yet.

  3. #13

    Re: Canadian Tire doesn't honor their return policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    From the various feedback I've read it on this & other complaints sites, it would appear my experience last night is not isolated. CT appears to have a pattern of:
    1) having different return/exchange/repair policies for different items, and not sharing them with the customer until the time of return;
    Returns are at the discretion of the dealer. It is true that some dealers may be more strict with returns (For example: Returns that are being abused and returned after use . ie. we aren't in the business for loaning out products). There is ALWAYS fine print no matter where you go, what you buy. "Some Exception apply".
    Common sense says if the product is opened and USED, obviously it's not considered NEW and so how can we sell it. If it's sealed still, or opened but in perfect condition (not used, not modified, new reselling state) then it is more than likely you will have no problem returning it (exceptions do apply tho.)

    If the product is defective the warranty takes over.

    Forgive me but I don't see what is wrong here.


    2) only providing a hassle-free refund if it's in some obviously sealed packaging that has obviously never been opened;

    Refer above on seal packaging.

    3) if it has been opened/used at all then it is not "resellable" and they won't accept the return;

    Again, what else would you expect? To put this used product back on the shelf? We aren't a garage sale selling used products and I am pretty sure everyone would complain on buying a vacuum full of cat fur since we wanted to ensure the customer didn't share the same complain as #3.

    4) if it has been opened/used AND defective, they expect the customer to bear the burden of defective products through the warranty process.

    Again, It's quite evident you are not understanding what a warranty entails

    Warranty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Warranties are not free. Business's must pay for warranties for the products they sell. These warranties are a type of contract for the business. A customer who returns a product due to being a manufacturer defect (btw: dropping your drill down the stairs does NOT classify as a DEFECT ), the business is reimbursed ONLY if the warranty contract is met. If it does not meet the contract terms for what can be returned, (when, how, the means of the defect, proof of purchase) then the store eats the cost as the warranty contract is null.

    I have never heard of a large retailer complain to their customer that they can't be sure they'll get money back from the manufacturer due to a faulty product -- and that's why they cannot accept a defective return. How is this a customer's problem?!?!
    And again, I ask.. why should the store pay the cost of the product being return when the manufacturer is at fault (if it IS indeed defective, MANY times products are being returns claiming they are defective when they are either abused, dropped, or no longer need it once they used it). (And NO, returning a rusted tape measurer is NOT considered defective ) People like this is what makes it harder for honest people. Abuse.

    I am thoroughly confused how CT manages to stay in busienss and how they haven't been taken to court for fraud yet.
    Once again, what illegal act have we played? We apologize for not returning your used products to resell. Apologize not allowing you to use your booster pack and returning it once you are done with it. We apologize for not returning your tire chain once you went up the mountain having it on the seat so you can pass customs and expect a refund.

  4. #14
    Posted by an unregistered user Guest-0184's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Canadian Tire doesn't honor their return policy?

    Why should the store pay the cost of the product being returned when the manufacturer is at fault?

    Because you sold it!!! You are responsible for the goods you supply to your customer.

    How about you protect your customers and go to bat with your manufacturer's instead of protecting your supplier and manufacturer causing you to fight your customer on everything? If CT did more of accepting their customers concerns and start expecting more out of your suppliers and manufacturing things would go much better.

    Also franchised or not why the hell is there a different set of rules under different stores? The sign on each building is Canadian Tire, should you not be consistent then? If you have different rules because there is different owners you should put "Bill's Auto and Hardware Store" on the wall. And don't give me the every franchise does this because you look at Tim Hortons, Shopper's Drug Mart, Home Hardware. 3 successful Canadian companies who are franchised and have the same set of rules across the country for each of their stores.

  5. #15
    Posted by an unregistered user Guest-0164's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    140
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Canadian Tire doesn't honor their return policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Why should the store pay the cost of the product being returned when the manufacturer is at fault?

    Because you sold it!!! You are responsible for the goods you supply to your customer.

    How about you protect your customers and go to bat with your manufacturer's instead of protecting your supplier and manufacturer causing you to fight your customer on everything? If CT did more of accepting their customers concerns and start expecting more out of your suppliers and manufacturing things would go much better.

    Also franchised or not why the hell is there a different set of rules under different stores? The sign on each building is Canadian Tire, should you not be consistent then? If you have different rules because there is different owners you should put "Bill's Auto and Hardware Store" on the wall. And don't give me the every franchise does this because you look at Tim Hortons, Shopper's Drug Mart, Home Hardware. 3 successful Canadian companies who are franchised and have the same set of rules across the country for each of their stores.

    First of all, those stores are completely different than the CT bussiness model, second of all CT takes care of almost everything at store level.

  6. #16
    Posted by an unregistered user Guest-0184's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Canadian Tire doesn't honor their return policy?

    And just how are those stores different business model than Canadian Tire. They are all owner operator operated under a licenced name using the companies buying power, warehousing and logistics systems.

    Or by different business model did you mean they believe in a customers comes first type where as Canadian Tire business model is I have your money, now its mine so go fudge yourself type of system.

    To me it says something when a company upsets its customers so much that a website forum like this is created.

    This here is the truth, when something like this is created, and continues to gather story after story it must tell you something. And that something isn't good for CT

  7. #17
    Posted by an unregistered user Guest-0164's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    140
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Canadian Tire doesn't honor their return policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    And just how are those stores different business model than Canadian Tire. They are all owner operator operated under a licenced name using the companies buying power, warehousing and logistics systems.

    Or by different business model did you mean they believe in a customers comes first type where as Canadian Tire business model is I have your money, now its mine so go fudge yourself type of system.

    To me it says something when a company upsets its customers so much that a website forum like this is created.

    This here is the truth, when something like this is created, and continues to gather story after story it must tell you something. And that something isn't good for CT
    Its fairly easy for anyone to make a website in this day and age, just becasue someone made a web page and people post on it doesnt necessarily make any of it true. Futhermore, most stores have a thousand or more customers a day and there are hundreds of stores. If we were to acctually look at the ratio of satisfied customers to non satisfied customers i would be willing to bet it would lean in ct's favor. Also you must remember that (for the most part) a person will rarley stop and go out of there way to congragulate on a job well done but will be very quick to critisize. If the general public was as displeased with CT as the people here it would not stay in business.

  8. #18
    Posted by an unregistered user Guest-0201's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Canadian Tire doesn't honor their return policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I was at the Bentall Street Canadian Tire location in Vancouver this evening with a family member who was wanting to return an unopened smoke detector trio. It was within 90 days, I think it's only been 33 days. I don't believe smoke detectors fall under the category of the 'electronics that may only be returned within 30 days'. The manager certainly didn't say so. What the rude manager did say that it had to be returned within 14 days, and that was the refund policy and it's like that in all stores in general, that we should know that- it's common sense. Now nowhere on the receipt does it say it's 14 days. When my family member asked for the manager's name, she walked away VERY quickly, ignoring the question. Is it just me, or is this just plain ridiculous on the part of Canadian Tire? I tried calling Corporate Customer Relations but they're closed. I may try again tomorrow but I don't know if there's a point. Does anyone know anything about a supposed CT 14 day refund policy?
    I've worked at CT for years, and if you are being completely honest you should not have had a problem. There is no 14 day refund policy with CTC, though stores do sometimes make their own policies. I can't see this being the case for smoke detectors though.

    I know this is late, but you should have called the Customer Service hotline, they would at least be able to request a reasonable answer from the store. The manager at the time should have told you her name.

    I'm assuming you're being completely honest. With that said, in my years with Canadian Tire this story is quite surprising and unheard of in my experience.

  9. #19

    Re: Canadian Tire doesn't honor their return policy?

    If you have worked with/for Canadian Tire for years and have not heard this story time and again you are not paying attention, perhaps if you were the customer being treated poorly you would have a differant attitude dude.

    And this Icon doing the yap-yap or bla-bla just shows the Crappy Tire Crappy attitude, and you wonder why people find you and yours rude.

  10. #20
    Posted by an unregistered user Guest-0205's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    83
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Canadian Tire doesn't honor their return policy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    If you have worked with/for Canadian Tire for years and have not heard this story time and again you are not paying attention, perhaps if you were the customer being treated poorly you would have a differant attitude dude.

    And this Icon doing the yap-yap or bla-bla just shows the Crappy Tire Crappy attitude, and you wonder why people find you and yours rude.
    Vica versa...... with ignorant people like you no wonder there are CT customer horror stories.

Page 2 of 10 First 1234 ... Last

Similar Threads

  1. Return Policy is false advertizing
    By Guest-0042 in forum Personal Stories
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: April 14th, 2014, 05:50 PM
  2. Return policy
    By Bob in forum Personal Stories
    Replies: 164
    Last Post: June 14th, 2012, 09:38 PM
  3. Ask a question: TIRE CHAIN RETURN
    By CT_MANAGER in forum Employees Speak Out
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 1st, 2010, 11:13 AM
  4. Canadian Tire thanks you
    By 1jacques in forum General Canadian Tire Complaints / Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: June 29th, 2010, 11:46 AM
  5. Canadian Tire Return issue
    By Christopher in forum Personal Stories
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: January 6th, 2010, 06:48 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions