Page 3 of 17 First 1234513 ... Last
Results 21 to 30 of 165

Thread: Return policy

  1. #21
    Posted by an unregistered user Guest-0097's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Return policy

    Only if you act rudely or suspicious? no... read the posts or better yet, just google and read all the same complaints. We bought a tube that kept taking on water & deflating so decided to upgrade to the only other option-$100 more.(Same brand name) After unfolding it in our living room we realized it's bigger than our boat so returned it for a refund since now we have to look elsewhere for a medium sized tube. They refused to take it back, only gave us the credit slip for their store(no other CT's) & guess what?? It expires in one month!! The manager called my husband a "weekend renter" and implied we used the tube and brought it back (still in the box) if it was pumped up of course it never would have fit back into the box. What's the difference anyways?? We weren't happy with the product and we have shopped at CT our whole lives like every other Canadian. I felt sorry for them when Walmart opened accross the highway in our town but now I will never buy one other item from them and I will tell every single person I talk to NOT to shop there. I wish I would have checked the blogs before buying. I'm p'd off we bought all our camping equipment, boating, etc etc there.

  2. #22
    Posted by an unregistered user Guest-0177's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Return policy

    I shop at Canadian Tire frequently, but only when the price is right. On occasion I have returned items. One was a made in China POS scissor Jack that had a safety affecting defect. That was when I discovered that the Country Hills Canadian Tire in Calgary would not accept a return from the Dalhousie Canadian Tire because the franchisees are different owners. WTF? LMAO. You have got to be kidding right? Regarding the driver’s license thing. Forget it. Once a DL number goes into a data retrieval system, or gets written onto dumpster fodder, your privacy is compromised. Period. If you think that is trivial, try Googling "Identity Theft".

    If you have the receipt, the whole “Protect us from fraud” argument is ca-ca anyways. They have no justifiable reason to require your identity.

    Before somebody puts my personal details (like Name, Birth Date, DL Number, or SIN) into a computer, or writes it on a slip that will end up in their dumpster unshredded, they need to do two things:

    1) Convince me it is required by law or is a reasonable component of thier return policy.
    2) Convince me that they have taken all the extraordinary and very hard to maintain security precautions necessary to protect that information from unauthorized access.

    Since the keystone-cop clown show that has become the Calgary Canadian Tire operation has little hope of doing either, and since I usually keep my receipts, I only give them my “name of the day”, and of course, my “phone number of the day”. No stress, Everyone happy. Bob’s your uncle. In fact, on some days, I am Bob. Not once have they complained that the name on the receipt, or my credit card, does not match the "name of the day", nor that the phone numbers don’t match the name in thier database. They just add it to the other guy's name who was dumb enough to give it to them in the first place.

    Frank, James, Alex, Monica, Bob

    P.S. Regarding that guy who was ranting and swearing: Empty vessels make the loudest noise. I think your brain might have fallen out on that last curve. Run along now, and clean up your mess

  3. #23
    Posted by an unregistered user Guest-0178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Return policy

    It's definitely against privacy laws to record your ID without permission....check out PIPEDA....but it is not a privacy violation to view the information to verify you are NOT dealing with a fraudster, scammer or thief. Don't want to show your ID at a retail store, bank, government office.....no problem, only go to the places that don't request this info.....just to be clear, the reason they ask for this info is because of people like the last poster.....he's one of the idiots that make us all pay with inconvenience.

  4. #24

    Re: Return policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I shop at Canadian Tire frequently, but only when the price is right. On occasion I have returned items. One was a made in China POS scissor Jack that had a safety affecting defect. That was when I discovered that the Country Hills Canadian Tire in Calgary would not accept a return from the Dalhousie Canadian Tire because the franchisees are different owners. WTF? LMAO. You have got to be kidding right? Regarding the driver’s license thing. Forget it. Once a DL number goes into a data retrieval system, or gets written onto dumpster fodder, your privacy is compromised. Period. If you think that is trivial, try Googling "Identity Theft".

    If you have the receipt, the whole “Protect us from fraud” argument is ca-ca anyways. They have no justifiable reason to require your identity.

    Before somebody puts my personal details (like Name, Birth Date, DL Number, or SIN) into a computer, or writes it on a slip that will end up in their dumpster unshredded, they need to do two things:

    1) Convince me it is required by law or is a reasonable component of thier return policy.
    2) Convince me that they have taken all the extraordinary and very hard to maintain security precautions necessary to protect that information from unauthorized access.

    Since the keystone-cop clown show that has become the Calgary Canadian Tire operation has little hope of doing either, and since I usually keep my receipts, I only give them my “name of the day”, and of course, my “phone number of the day”. No stress, Everyone happy. Bob’s your uncle. In fact, on some days, I am Bob. Not once have they complained that the name on the receipt, or my credit card, does not match the "name of the day", nor that the phone numbers don’t match the name in thier database. They just add it to the other guy's name who was dumb enough to give it to them in the first place.

    Frank, James, Alex, Monica, Bob

    P.S. Regarding that guy who was ranting and swearing: Empty vessels make the loudest noise. I think your brain might have fallen out on that last curve. Run along now, and clean up your mess
    Canadian tire does not record your drivers license NUMBER. If they did, that could very well be illegal in many places.

  5. #25
    Posted by an unregistered user Guest-0204's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Return policy

    When I was 20, I tried to return something but couldn't because they needed a drivers license...Catch is I don't drive and don't have a drivers license.

    Had no other choice but to make a big stink about it.
    CT is one Canadian owned store I can't wait to be taken over by an American company.

  6. #26
    Posted by an unregistered user Guest-0204's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Return policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    When I was 20, I tried to return something but couldn't because they needed a drivers license...Catch is I don't drive and don't have a drivers license.

    Had no other choice but to make a big stink about it.
    CT is one Canadian owned store I can't wait to be taken over by an American company.
    Also, why is it they demand ID when returning, yet when you purchase something they don't? They also don't indicate you need ID to return something UNTIL you've already purchased the item.

    Walmart, Zellers, Home Depot, Giant Tiger don't require ID's.

  7. #27
    Posted by an unregistered user Guest-0205's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    83
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Return policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    When I was 20, I tried to return something but couldn't because they needed a drivers license...Catch is I don't drive and don't have a drivers license.

    Had no other choice but to make a big stink about it.
    CT is one Canadian owned store I can't wait to be taken over by an American company.
    Not even remotely how that works, firt they cant demand your drivers licence. All they can do is REQUEST id to help reduce fraud, and any ID would work so there is no way they would deny your return becasue you didn't drive.

  8. #28
    Posted by an unregistered user Guest-0204's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Return policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Not even remotely how that works, firt they cant demand your drivers licence. All they can do is REQUEST id to help reduce fraud, and any ID would work so there is no way they would deny your return becasue you didn't drive.
    Why is it that *ONLY* CT that requires ID when you return something with a receipt? And yes, they did demand ID if I wanted to return the item, something that wasn't indicated before I purchased the item. The only ID's that they accepted were drivers licence or passport.

    Help reduce fraud? Home Depot, Walmart, Zellers and countless other stores don't encounter fraud? This is obviously what CT employees are taught to say.

  9. #29
    Posted by an unregistered user Guest-0164's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    140
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Return policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Why is it that *ONLY* CT that requires ID when you return something with a receipt? And yes, they did demand ID if I wanted to return the item, something that wasn't indicated before I purchased the item. The only ID's that they accepted were drivers licence or passport.

    Help reduce fraud? Home Depot, Walmart, Zellers and countless other stores don't encounter fraud? This is obviously what CT employees are taught to say.
    First off... CT in not the only one that *requests* ID. I have been ID'd at both Futureshop and bestbuy (which i gues is really the same thing). Furthermore your story is clearly exagurated becasue that would be illegal... as in an infrigment of privacy law. And before you respond by saying CT does illegal things dont... As bad as they may or may not be they are still a business and run as such

  10. #30
    Posted by an unregistered user Guest-0204's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Return policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    First off... CT in not the only one that *requests* ID. I have been ID'd at both Futureshop and bestbuy (which i gues is really the same thing). Furthermore your story is clearly exagurated becasue that would be illegal... as in an infrigment of privacy law. And before you respond by saying CT does illegal things dont... As bad as they may or may not be they are still a business and run as such
    I've returned things at FS and BB and have never had to give any piece of ID, of course you probably didn't have a receipt.

    How is my story greatly exaggerated? They asked for a drivers license, something I don't have, therefore they won't accept my return, which was never opened with the receipt. This is something I purchased just hours earlier.
    I then came back with my health card (photo) and a piece of mail (to prove my address) and they still wouldn't accept it until I made an issue of it.
    Funny how the government accepts my health card and a piece of mail as legit ID yet CT won't.

    Exaggeration would be saying CT wanted my drivers license, passport, health card, bank card, birth, marriage, death certificate...Although I suppose it won't be all that long until they do 'require' all those.

Page 3 of 17 First 1234513 ... Last

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions