G

greg

I bought a battery from my local CT and after 4 months it went bad 9of course....only place around that was open when stuck in the parking lot...go figure). Took the battery out (eliminator) and went to the store. parts tested it for nothing as they should, declared it to be bad and replaced it with a new one with a new 3 year free replacement warranty...surprised the shite out of me but am happy camper.

S

Soexpensive!

I bought a battery from my local CT and after 4 months it went bad 9of course....only place around that was open when stuck in the parking lot...go figure). Took the battery out (eliminator) and went to the store. parts tested it for nothing as they should, declared it to be bad and replaced it with a new one with a new 3 year free replacement warranty...surprised the shite out of me but am happy camper.

which location was this located at? like i said time and time again NOT ALL CT stores are alike some treats their customers like dicks and some treats their customers with atleast a little bit of respect... and this is proof.. no, i still do not support the auto service centers since i worked for one before and i HEAR and SEEN and KNOW some nasty stuff they do. the stuff that happens would normally put a normal Canadian citizen in JAIL if they tried to pull the same nonsense as CT service centers do.

CT_MANAGER

I don't understand. Why would you be surprised? Your battery was defective under warranty...

Guest-0333

Posted by an unregistered user

he is probably suprised because CT usually make up nonsense so they dont have to warranty the battery or batteries, my experience when i had to get a eliminator 10-5010 (Honda Civic battery) warrantied, they booked it in to do a "load test" which was no charge to test, then some 30$ test called an AVR that suppose to test the alternators/starter to see if the alternator is charging the battery and the starter isnt drawing excessive amperage. as i was sitting inside the waiting room, with a huge glass window i can see into the shops working area, the tech or battery guy just drove my car in and it was in the bay that is 3 down from the waiting room. i was watching him do the battery test and the next thing he did really struck me as odd... he popped the top off the battery i just assumed that he was checking the acid level in each CELL of the battery. so after 20mins passed he comes in with the paper work and the advisor calls me over and said my battery failed and it needed to be warrantied, and if i still got the orginal pamphlet and the original receipt, i told them it was in the glove box, so the battery tech went into the shop into my car and retrived the paper work, at this time i was thinking everything was fine and the warranty would go smoothly boy was i mistaken... after 5mins the front desk advisor came and told me they cannot do the warranty because the paper work serial number did not match the one on the battery sticker... i was like uhh... that is the battery CT installed 1.5 years ago... then i thought it was odd that the serial number changed without anyone touching the battery .. so i asked the advisor nicely could i go into the shop and verify this myself he said ok but he had to walk my to my car and i agreed... and when we got to my car, and confirmed the serial numbers were different, the cap was also different, i had an eliminator battery in my car but the cap said 72months!!! then that instant i knew that punk switched the cap when he popped it off, and i thought he was checking the acid.. it was more like screweing me over! i told the advisor nicely to deal with it and he told me not to worry about it and he would deal with it, so i went back to the waiting room.. looking through that huge glass i see that advisor and the battery tech in a heated debate/argument ... then 15mins he came back and explained to me that it was all a mistake and they found the oringal cap with the RIGHT serial number (eliminator) and he said they will warranty the battery and gave me a free detailing job which i thought was very considerate, i gotta give the advisor some credit for sticking his neck out to help a customers when his own co-workers failed to do the right thing~. overall the job was done right was happy, and ontop of that a clean car, washed vaccumed and tire shined... 5 stars to the advisor, and a lawsuit to the TECH.

C

ct manager WHITE POWER

I don't understand. Why would you be surprised? Your battery was defective under warranty...

That was a bad hire. He's not doing the store favours by honoring warranties. If you let me know which store he at I can get him fired right away.

C

CT Manager WHITE POWER

We don't care what you bought or what the warranty says. You've known for years the simoniz product wasn't that great but you jerks still kept on buying it because of our weak return policies run by weak people. Same goes for batteries and everything else we sell in store.

Do you really think complaining to those idiots at head office is going to make a difference? Go right ahead. I'll even give you the number 1-866-846-5841. Go straight up to that CEO whatever his name is and let him know we were really mean and nasty. Feel free to embellish, you would really get his ear and help on it. I'm really shaking in my boots on this one.

We love simoniz repair only policy and extending it to other "affordable" we sell and it's saving us boat loads of money. Weak people weak policies don't pay.

Guest-0406

I bought their top of the line battery in 2010 and this year it will not start the car if it is below -15c . They tested the battery and said it was good and told me to have the car serviced. I did, not by them as i won't trust there mechanics with a go kart. Mechanic, test car a OK. -14 today again, again car won't start and I went to a different canadian tire store and got the same story. Battery ok Extreme Weather. If you are going to give a warranty in a certain climate then honnor it. Canadian Tire Sucks

K

B

buzzo1

I know this thread is old, but thought I would share. I have a CT battery in my Mustang, and couldn't start it a few days ago. I took the battery back to CT (only a year old), with my warranty package, and they did a free load test. Apparently the battery was perfect. I then took the Mustang to my local Ford dealership, and they did a full electrical system check, including the battery, and found that the battery was toast. Sooooo....I took the battery back to CT, where they tested it it again. Guess what? The test showed it was perfect. The store manager, however, gave me a new replacement at no charge, and said that perhaps the dealership was wrong with their diagnostic testing. I was actually surprised that there was no fuss from their end, so it was definitely a good experience. because of this, I will recommend CT to friends. Now I just need to find out who is pulling my leg!!

PS- This was the Shawnessy location in Calgary, Alberta.

S

SVC-CT-270

What I find crazy is how many terrible Canadian tires there are. Now, I am not saying I disagree with the posts, but my family and I have been going to the Canadian Tire on Regent Ave in Transcona since it opened 25 years ago. I am currently employed as a service advisor at this store. Now dont get me wrong. The shop has a lot of problems, it is poorly managed and moral in the shop is low. The quality of work that is done is typically very high. Some of our mechanics have been with the store since it opened. Mistakes get made and management tries to squeeze every dollar out of the problem, even if it means not paying the technician. I make sure the customer gets put first. In December I sold over 20 batteries a day. I would test about 5 "bad" batteries a day. Our store (at least) has a very nice Midtronics tester that is very accurate. This test is free. We do not test frozen batteries. In the event of a frozen battery it is policy to do one of two things. 1) Offer to thaw, charge and retest the battery for free or 2) customer may take the battery home and do the same thing.

Now, I have seen my share of people trying to take advantage of this policy. First off, without the panflet, or a history of the battery being installed at our store I can only date code warranty a battery, which uses a sticker on the side of the battery. This sticker states the manufacturing date. That assumes the role of purchase date and the customer must cover half the battery value. Why? because people grab batteries from cars at the wrecker and bring them in. Ive seen everything from stickers being transferred from a battery I personally warrantied to another battery. I even recognized the guy, to people who present a panflet which says the battery was purchased before it was made. Now if there are stores that try to lie to customers that this has happened thats a shame. But thats probably why store 270 (regent, winnipeg) is one of the most successful Canadian tires in the country. With one of the highest levels of customer satisfaction.

However the shop could see improvement. and between my Identity and you. If u get service there get the right tech for the right situation.
Seasonal Oil Change, ask for ed
Engine work, Rick
and Chrysler, Ron (20 years with Chrysler prior)
Suspention, Derek
Diagnosing Check engine ect, Robert (he sees each one as a personal challenge)

We deal with other stores as well, and even as an employee and have seen some of the things u guys talk about.

P.S. not every tech is 18. In my province you have to be licensed to even work on vehicles in a shop. Unless its Tires, batteries, Oil change or Light bulbs.

sarahWR

You should have brought it to another Canadian Tire. If it was under warranty.. You should be getting one for free.. IF it is under free warranty though, if the free warranty is over, then you get a battery for a cheaper price. Testing the battery should have been free too if you brought it in to the auto counter. I don't know what this service fee is though? Strange.

CT Challenger

You should have brought it to another Canadian Tire. If it was under warranty.. You should be getting one for free.. IF it is under free warranty though, if the free warranty is over, then you get a battery for a cheaper price. Testing the battery should have been free too if you brought it in to the auto counter. I don't know what this service fee is though? Strange.

we shouldn't have to drive all over trying to find a store that will actually do what they already promised.

what we should do is buy from somebody else in the first place.

a lesson learned, but now passed on so that others don't fall into the same ct trap.

Angry CT Guy

we shouldn't have to drive all over trying to find a store that will actually do what they already promised.

what we should do is buy from somebody else in the first place.

a lesson learned, but now passed on so that others don't fall into the same ct trap.

Yeah, it has nothing to do with poorly trained staff...lol. Don't believe faker advocate that it's only at one retailer. They all have shortcomings that need to be improved:

Walmart battery pro-rating policy

Don't buy a car battery at Walmart they won't honor Warranty - Topix

SEARS DOES NOT CARE ABOUT WARRANTY

You should probably get educated on where the battery warranty comes from:
Home Community

Guest-0477

Yeah, it has nothing to do with poorly trained staff...lol. Don't believe faker advocate that it's only at one retailer. They all have shortcomings that need to be improved:

Walmart battery pro-rating policy

Don't buy a car battery at Walmart they won't honor Warranty - Topix

SEARS DOES NOT CARE ABOUT WARRANTY

You should probably get educated on where the battery warranty comes from:
Home Community

once again the ct'ers are trying to blame their own staff - as if that still isnt the fault of management - LOL.

and its still a mystery why the ct'ers find americans so fascinating, that they can't help but post about them on a site for a crappy canadian retailer.

but it isn't hard to find lots of compaints about at least one canadian retailer: Canadian Tire Sucks Forum - Canadian Tire Sucks Portal

the logic of the owners and managers is still wrong - even if they somehow mangaged to show that other canadian retailers suck, that doesn't change one simple fact:

ct still sucks.

Angry CT Guy

once again the ct'ers are trying to blame their own staff - as if that still isnt the fault of management - LOL.

and its still a mystery why the ct'ers find americans so fascinating, that they can't help but post about them on a site for a crappy canadian retailer.

but it isn't hard to find lots of compaints about at least one canadian retailer: Canadian Tire Sucks Forum - Canadian Tire Sucks Portal

the logic of the owners and managers is still wrong - even if they somehow mangaged to show that other canadian retailers suck, that doesn't change one simple fact:

ct still sucks.

The point wasn't about other retailers, it was about other complainers. THAT'S why there are over 600 sucks.com sites, MANY more blogs, forums, and complaint boards....it is impossible to please every man, woman or child that walks through the door at ANY retailer or company.....you never know what kind of unrealistic expectation the fringe have when it comes to service, product or price. Luckily, the vast majority isn't like the fringe and that's the people, I will go out of my way to help and they're the ones that pay the bills. Unfortunately, forums allow people to tell only one side of the story as they vent, but normal folks know there is always 2 sides to that story. I don't care if faker advocate says CT sucks....800-1000 customers every single day, tell me otherwise.

CT Challenger

It's always interesting to read the distorted perceptions of a CT'er, isn't it?

They post links to complaints about Auto Zone store in Kentucky, and think this shows what a great job CT is doing in Canada. Very bizarre.

Yes, the only customers they are willing to help, are the one's who won't complain. Great problem-solving skills, CT!

In their mind, anyone who isn't happy because they weren't treated fairly or honestly is "the fringe", and got what they deserve.

And what of those consumers who drill down through their web of deception, to discover just how crappy their policies really are (compared to all their competitors)? They simply have "unrealistic expectations".

Yes, it's always an eye-opener to view things with CT-coloured glasses.

Guest-0477

i suppose the ct owners cant figure out why the citizens of kentucky arent recommending crappy tire as an alternative to walmart AND autozone.

if they are so interested in the us market maybe they should do one of their popular buyouts down there.

i mean, how badly could it turn out, lol!