Guest-0534

Posted by an unregistered user
I return stuff all the time at our store. No problems at all...I figure I am on a blacklist for returning so much stuff.
Maybe says something for the quality...

I buy %70 sale and it makes it worth it.

Now their credit card services is something else to be desired.

Guest-0527

Ha-ha, even the Crappy Tire people admit that they don't even know their own policies! Priceless!

And then they want to make fun of customers to ask about each and every item in the store?

Only Crappy Tire is this crappy - and that's just trying to find out what the crappy policy really is.

And they can't all agree!

But it's the customer's fauld, if they believed the false information posted here, or neglected to ask about each individual item they are buying. Crazy!

But we should all know by now that the policies at CT are worse than any other major retailer. Just have a look at the other stores.

Save yourself some hassles - buy from anyone except Crappy Tire!

Different items have different warranties which affect the return policy sometimes. There is no way one person can memorize thousands of these policies.. So just ask when you buy it and the cashier can look it up, or it will be stated on your receipt.

Guest-0527

Interesting. So your store doesn't care if you can't resell it? That's the reason customers are being told the box has to be "unopened" or "sealed".

And how do your customers feel about buying something that's been opened before? Don't they want one that's guaranteed to be unused and have all the parts? That's another reason other stores have given for insisting that it be "unused", or even "opened".

Well many of these "open boxes" are defective so Canadian Tire doesn't resell those.

Other ones, if everything is there and the item is not USED, then why can't we resell it? I guarantee you at almost any store if you bring back the item in the packaging but the box is open, they'll take it back.

The problem here seems to be that Canadian Tires are independently owned. So dealers are implementing different policies on their own.. I've had people come into our CT saying that other ones wouldn't take a return because it was from our store!

Guest-0527

Here's an idea.

Maybe you CT guys just never thought of it?

How about putting the RETURN POLICY on a big sign at cusomter service?

That way, when scammers come into the store to defaud you, they'll know that CT's policy is to never give a refund for anything.

That should discourage them from messing with you!!!!

But I suppose it might tick off some customers to hear flat out just how bad your policies are ... I guess that's why you don't put them on the receipts either, huh?

Nope, all we get on the receipt is some stuff about a 'warranty' or whatever. Nothing to worry about until the 90 days are up, if we didn't break the seal, right?

At my Canadian Tire we do have a sign with the return policy at Customer Service.. We also have the warranties of certain items stated on the receipt. If it's repair only it's on the receipt. Unless it's just my store that does that..

CT Challenger

At my Canadian Tire we do have a sign with the return policy at Customer Service.. We also have the warranties of certain items stated on the receipt. If it's repair only it's on the receipt. Unless it's just my store that does that..

Really?

What does the sign say about the return policy for defective items? Does it say the customer has 30 days to bring it back for a refund, even if it's used, just like all the other major retailers?

Nice of you to ut the warranty statement on the receipt. But how about the return policy? Do you bother to put that on the receipt, too? Does it say anything about 30 days to bring it back for a refund if it's defective, like we'd get at any other major retailer?

Exactly what does your store do?

CT Challenger

I guarantee you at almost any store if you bring back the item in the packaging but the box is open, they'll take it back.

Really? You'll "guarantee" that? Is that a "money back guarantee"?

Please provide some contact information, so that the many consumers who've posted here about not getting a refund, or even a working replacement, can contact you so that you can set things right for them.

Thanks for the generous offer!!!

CT Challenger

Different items have different warranties which affect the return policy sometimes. There is no way one person can memorize thousands of these policies.. So just ask when you buy it and the cashier can look it up, or it will be stated on your receipt.

Really? Thousands?

But don't most products fall under one of the 3 return policies, for defects:

- Exchange only (no refund) items.
- Repair only (no refund, no exchange) items.
- "No warranty" (no refund, no exchange, no repair) items.

Sure, there are tires and batteries that have a "special" return policy for defects.

And don't all products have the same return policies if the customer isn't satisfied: "in its original condition and packaging".

Sure, there are the usual exceptions of underwear and ammunition.

Seems pretty simple to me. Four things. Why not just tell people, since no other major retailer has policies like these?

Angry CT Guy

Really? Thousands?

But don't most products fall under one of the 3 return policies, for defects:

- Exchange only (no refund) items.
- Repair only (no refund, no exchange) items.
- "No warranty" (no refund, no exchange, no repair) items.

Sure, there are tires and batteries that have a "special" return policy for defects.

And don't all products have the same return policies if the customer isn't satisfied: "in its original condition and packaging".

Sure, there are the usual exceptions of underwear and ammunition.

Seems pretty simple to me. Four things. Why not just tell people, since no other major retailer has policies like these?

No other major retailer? Really? I'm guessing you don't read very well with your shit colored glasses.

Return Policy | Home Depot Canada
What do you suppose the Home Depot reserves the right to refuse any return for any reason means?

Home Hardware - Terms & Conditions
What do you suppose unused, clean, complete and in it's original condition means?

Rona.ca - Cancellation and Return Conditions
See if you can find a hint of their inshore return policy.
But at least one guy complaining here they wouldn't take back an opened box the same day he bought it
Rona (www rona ca) Website Reviews

Customer Service / Return Policy - Walmart Canada - Save Money Live Better
Lots of exceptions, interesting GE warranty section
I know I had to deal with Fuji on a camera that was 8 days old and defective...they would NOT let me return it.

Faker advocates....so easy to fill in the blanks, they purposely leave out.

How's it coming with the letters to lawyers, Ellen Roseman, Ministry of Consumer Affairs and Better Business bureaus about illegal return policies? I guess you kinda got ass-whooped on that one.....LOL.

So easy.

CT Challenger

Ha-ha!

So, Walmart allegedly ‘pulled a Crappy Tire’ on Angry CT Guy, huh?

They made him deal with the manufacturer on a bad camera. Imagine the irony!

So, Angry CT Guy is still furious over a retailer who treated him just like Crappy Tire would – you can imagine the mouth-foam flying.

It’s important to keep the crappy policies of Crappy Tire in mind, which include:

1 – Defective products cannot be returned for a refund.
2 - Many defective products cannot be exchanged for one that works ("repair only" and “no warranty" items).
3 - An unwanted/unsatisfactory item must be returned “in its original condition and packaging”.

To vent his frustration, it seems Angry CT Guy tried to find some flaws with the policies of the major Canadian retailers. How did he do? Not so well!

Did he include Costco?

Nope. I guess their policies are too good.

How about Walmart's policies?

No, they don’t have policies anything like Crappy Tire.

And these "exceptions"? They aren't things that aren't returnable - they are just things that have less than 90 days! Yes, Walmart gives at least 14 days - which is 14 days longer than CT! And it includes things that are defective or unsatisfactory, even if used!
Some things are a full year! Woo-hoo!

Thanks you Angry CT Guy, for the chance to see just how good Walmart is!

Did Angry CT Guy find any of those nasty CT policies at the policies over at Home Depot?

Nope, just awesome policies. There is that “we reserve the right” statement, which we’ve reviewed before. But no actual statement of any of the 3 Crappy Tire policies. If you call the 1-800 number, or talk to Customer Service, you'll find that they "reserve the right" only in rare cases. But at Crappy Tire, those are the rules that are routinely applied.

And gee, now we're revisiting Home Hardware? Well, hardly a “major” retailer.

Sounds like HH’s policy might have some aspects that are nearly as crappy as Crappy Tires. Anything on there about “repair only” or “this product has no warranty”? Nope.

But something you will see on the Home Hardware site, is a 1-year exchange policy on some items: “If a qualifying product proves defective within one year of purchase, your HOME dealer will replace it with a new one”. Wow! Much better than anything Crappy Tire offers!

Thanks, Angry CT Guy!

So, HH is bad, but not nearly as bad as Crappy Tire. If you can't get it at the major retailers, maybe you can hunt down a Home Hardware to buy from. At least they aren’t quite as crappy as CT.

And that Rona link? It’s only for on-line purchases, LOL! Poor Angry CT Guy – too enraged to see straight, and still posting irrelevant links.

Yes, every place Angry CT Guy mentioned is clearly better than Crappy Tire.

Nice try though!

C

CT Customer Service Clerk

Hey there,

It's the same guy who posted this 2 years ago. Still with CTC, except in a different store now, and in the summer months am a Garden Centre/Seasonal manager. After being in a few stores, the most recent especially, I've learned that the best way to do business is serve the customer. As long as we (the store), get our credit... we're going to help you out. As long as you're completely honest with us, we're going to help you out.

You used a vacuum cleaner, but didn't like how it worked? Most stores would tell you you can't return that since you used it. Well, not necessarily. If you come to me with that, and you're clearly honest that you used it once and it's just not doing the job, and you purchased it within 90 days, I won't just shut you down. Instead, I'll write it off as "defective". The store will still get the credit, and you get what you want (exchange or refund, your choice). After 90 days? I'll still do it for you, but most of these people are dishonest and trying to take advantage of a current sale. But whatever, we've probably made a lot of money off of you as a loyal customer, so I'll still take care of you. After 90 days, I'll give you an exchange. You want a refund? Sorry, can't do that after 90 days on a used and not necessarily defective item, but I'll still write it off as defective and give you a Canadian Tire giftcard for your next purchase.

Repair only warranty? No big deal. Most stores tell their customers that it's a repair only warranty. They're right, it is. But there are ways around that. I can take back the defective lawn mower or whatever this thing is, I'll get it repaired, and I'll sell it again at a reduced price. You see, I can claim the amount we had to take off of the price of the lawn mower through the corporation, with a simple "code 55" on the adjustacard. I can also get a full credit on the lawnmower from corporation, simply by putting a "code 50" on an adjusta card. No big deal. Same rule applies as before. If the purchase was recent, here's your refund, or you can exchange it. After 90 days, if repair isn't something you want to go through, I'll do an exchange.

The truth is, there is always a way around the policy for both the store and the customer. I'll tell you guys right now with full sincerity, every CT dealer wants their managers to do the best they can for the customer, such as the avenues discussed above. But, unfortunately, most managers don't get paid that well and many are extremely small minded. They follow the policy to the letter, at their own peril.

If you have a situation, and are wondering how it can be resolved, post it here. Go back to your Canadian Tire store that's giving you trouble and show them how it can work. There is always a way.

The one rule I always stress is the "receipt" or "proof of purchase". Tough to get around that one. However, if you purchased it by debit or credit, we can search it in the system within a certain amount of time. If you have a statement from your bank or credit card company, I'll accept that too. I need something to show me you bought this product, as theft and then then attempted returns are becoming more and more prevalent.

C

CT Customer Service Clerk

Hey there,

It's the same guy who posted this 2 years ago. Still with CTC, except in a different store now, and in the summer months am a Garden Centre/Seasonal manager. After being in a few stores, the most recent especially, I've learned that the best way to do business is serve the customer. As long as we (the store), get our credit... we're going to help you out. As long as you're completely honest with us, we're going to help you out.

You used a vacuum cleaner, but didn't like how it worked? Most stores would tell you you can't return that since you used it. Well, not necessarily. If you come to me with that, and you're clearly honest that you used it once and it's just not doing the job, and you purchased it within 90 days, I won't just shut you down. Instead, I'll write it off as "defective". The store will still get the credit, and you get what you want (exchange or refund, your choice). After 90 days? I'll still do it for you, but most of these people are dishonest and trying to take advantage of a current sale. But whatever, we've probably made a lot of money off of you as a loyal customer, so I'll still take care of you. After 90 days, I'll give you an exchange. You want a refund? Sorry, can't do that after 90 days on a used and not necessarily defective item, but I'll still write it off as defective and give you a Canadian Tire giftcard for your next purchase.

Repair only warranty? No big deal. Most stores tell their customers that it's a repair only warranty. They're right, it is. But there are ways around that. I can take back the defective lawn mower or whatever this thing is, I'll get it repaired, and I'll sell it again at a reduced price. You see, I can claim the amount we had to take off of the price of the lawn mower through the corporation, with a simple "code 55" on the adjustacard. I can also get a full credit on the lawnmower from corporation, simply by putting a "code 50" on an adjusta card. No big deal. Same rule applies as before. If the purchase was recent, here's your refund, or you can exchange it. After 90 days, if repair isn't something you want to go through, I'll do an exchange.

The truth is, there is always a way around the policy for both the store and the customer. I'll tell you guys right now with full sincerity, every CT dealer wants their managers to do the best they can for the customer, such as the avenues discussed above. But, unfortunately, most managers don't get paid that well and many are extremely small minded. They follow the policy to the letter, at their own peril.

If you have a situation, and are wondering how it can be resolved, post it here. Go back to your Canadian Tire store that's giving you trouble and show them how it can work. There is always a way.

The one rule I always stress is the "receipt" or "proof of purchase". Tough to get around that one. However, if you purchased it by debit or credit, we can search it in the system within a certain amount of time. If you have a statement from your bank or credit card company, I'll accept that too. I need something to show me you bought this product, as theft and then then attempted returns are becoming more and more prevalent.

I should clarify, I'm the same guy who started this thread two years ago.

Ask away with any current dilemmas, I can help you out. If you have past dilemmas, I can tell you what could have been done.

CT Challenger

Can you please clarify if you are the same guy who started this thread 2 years ago?

Because I'd like to know if there are two guys who know squat about the policies of Crappy Tire, and zero about the policies of the other major Canadian retailers.

Or, are there two clued-out guys who keep posting the same mis-information on this thread?

Guest-0538

Can you please clarify if you are the same guy who started this thread 2 years ago?

Because I'd like to know if there are two guys who know squat about the policies of Crappy Tire, and zero about the policies of the other major Canadian retailers.

Or, are there two clued-out guys who keep posting the same mis-information on this thread?

Where am I wrong? Give me a hypothetical, anything... and I'll tell you how it should be handled by the manager approached with it.

CT Challenger

Where are you wrong? Too many places to count.

Here's a start:

"As long as we (the store), get our credit... we're going to help you out."

There are numerous reports, on this site and on others, where customers haven't been 'helped out'. I've seen it myself, and heard similar cases from people I know. Maybe some customers get help, but many do not. And the lame policies facilitate this.

"As long as you're completely honest with us, we're going to help you out."

See above. Lots of honest, innocent people get screwed over, in ways that are supported by the store's own, crappy policies, and wouldn't have happend at any other retailer.

"Most stores would tell you you can't return that since you used it."

Not true. Every major retailer will let you return it if you are not happy, and can show that you bought it recently from them.

Maybe you don't follow the official policies, but Crappy Tire is the only one with a policy to refuse returns on items customers purchased but are not satisfied with.

"After 90 days, I'll give you an exchange."

Crappy Tire's policy is not to give exchanges after 90 days, even on items that are unused or even unopended. Maybe you do things differently, but that's the policy.

"Repair only warranty? No big deal. "

A VERY big deal. Many customers report being stuck waiting for a repair for weeks or even months on a product they just bought, which didn't even work, right out of the box. If the product turns out to be poorly designed, they are lucky if they even get an exchange for an identical, crappy product. Maybe you do things differently, but many customers aren't able to get a refund, and can't apply that refund to a better model or make. It's a big deal to them (check out the "Simonz Scam" thread).

"Most stores tell their customers that it's a repair only warranty."

Most major retailers haven't even heard of this. Most will take back products that are unwanted or defective. Costco, Walmart Sears, and Home Depot, for starters.

"If the purchase was recent, here's your refund, or you can exchange it. After 90 days, if repair isn't something you want to go through, I'll do an exchange. "

Again, maybe you do things differently, but there's nothing in the policy of Crappy Tire that compels stores to do this.

"The truth is, there is always a way around the policy for both the store and the customer."

The truth is, Crappy Tire stores don't have to exceed the basic policy if they don't want to. Unlucky customers who relied on statements like yours, and bought from Crappy Tire, can easily find themselves stuck with unwanted or defective goods, with no recourse except a complaint or maybe a lawsuit.

"every CT dealer wants their managers to do the best they can for the customer"

We've heard from many self-declard dealers, who only want to make money, and if that means screwing over customers, then that's what they'll do. You can read their opinions on this site for yourself.

"If you have a situation, and are wondering how it can be resolved, post it here. Go back to your Canadian Tire store that's giving you trouble and show them how it can work. There is always a way. "

Interesting. You are suggesting that all 30 million Canadians should educate themselves on the ins and outs of Crappy Tire's internal polices, in order to teach the Crappy People how to give them a fair shak, when the store screwed up. A fascinating plan, but not very realistic.

Here's another idea: how about you share your special knowledge with the 400 or 500 other dealers, so that they do their jobs right in the first place? Might be more efficient. 33,000,000 people learn this from you on this web site, or 500 people lean this from you somewhere else. Hey, just an idea.

In the meantime, I think it's better to just teach Canadians that Crappy Tire sucks, and that they are safer to take their business elsewhere, because of the hassles they could face at the hands of ignorant/lazy dealers.

There's more, but I'm sure you get the idea.

CT Challenger

Guest-0570

"finally, please stop bitching at me at the customer service counter. I didn't make these rules, it's just my job to enforce them."

i can't believe this is coming from a customer service rep. Now i understand why ct created some many unhappy customers. Being a customer service rep myself, the first the goal is to "make sure no customer leave the store with an unhappy face". And if you are looking for a job to "enforce the rules", please quit ct and join rcmp. If i can't make customer completely satisfied, i would apologize to customer, simply say "sorry, i don't have the authority to do that, but wait, let me talk to my manager and see what we can do for you". That's exactly what lack with my experience with ct.
Anyway, it doesn't really matter to me anymore. I will never ship at ct again, and i wish one day ct will be under a new management with better attitude.

oh shit guys!!! Look out! He's never going to ship again! He's returning his boat because of canadian tire! The bastards!