CT_MANAGER

Re: Canadian Tire doesn't honor their return policy?---VERY VERY TRUE

It is so true. I bought a vacuum cleaner in 10-30 shopping mall CANADIAN TIRE, brossard, quebec. The vacuum was broken, not working for the carpet, even the light was not on. Next day I went back to return, I was told the same thing, NO RETURN, EXCHANGE ONLY TO VACUUM FAMILY PRODUCT!!! I regreted so much I bought it in canadian tire. NEVER BUY FROM CANADIAN TIRE!!! I will tell all people around me too. CANADIAN TIRE SUCKS!!!

Hello. Which vacuum was this? Did you have the receipt? What was the reasoning that they would not allow for a return? Thanks

H

handiman

Hello. Which vacuum was this? Did you have the receipt? What was the reasoning that they would not allow for a return? Thanks

don't see how the particular vacuum matters hes sayin this holds true for all of em

id expect if hed a had a receipt an exchange for a newun wouldnt even be put on the offer

reason seems to be cause its a vacuum. end of story

dont sound right to me. ya need to have faith in your machinees or they aint worth a darn

maybe laws in q beck are different. i thought they were better at least for the customer

never heard o this before for vacuums. seems like perty much anything whats got a motor in it is fair game

Angry CT Guy

Posted by an unregistered user

WTF is that rambling?

don't see how the particular vacuum matters hes sayin this holds true for all of em

id expect if hed a had a receipt an exchange for a newun wouldnt even be put on the offer

reason seems to be cause its a vacuum. end of story

dont sound right to me. ya need to have faith in your machinees or they aint worth a darn

maybe laws in q beck are different. i thought they were better at least for the customer

never heard o this before for vacuums. seems like perty much anything whats got a motor in it is fair game

H

Handy man

WTF is that rambling?

Sorry. First time posting here and not so good at the typing yet. i'll take more time at it.

seems this man or woman was told its the same rule for a whole Family of vacuums so why does it matter which particular one it was? that's the reason they were given. wrong family of vacuums, so exchange only, end of story.

i expect if he or she had come in without a receipt they'd a turned him away right off the bat. instead they offered an exchange.

it just seems like a whole lotta questions just to figure out if this machine can be returned or not. the store already said no twice by the sound of it

it just don't sound right or fair to me. i know it's not something you use out in the yard or nothin like that. still you want to know its going to hold up. seems like this is one customr who lost faith in the vac, and now lost faith in the whole store to boot.

sorry. i meant Quebec. pretty sure they've got better laws to help people out with stuff like this. don't rightly know though.

seems like ct is getting stickier on things like this. every time you go into a store theres something else they won't stand behind.

snow blowers. tread mill. lawn mowers. weed whackers. now vacuums.

just seems to me if the things got a motor in it, them ct will drop you like a hot coal once they've got your cash.

one more way to pick the pocket of the average person who just wants a clean carpet.

CT_MANAGER

Hello,

It could definitely depend on whether the customer had a receipt and what vacuum that was being returned under warranty. If the vacuum was a Roomba for example, the manufacture may allow for exchange only for the same product (IN/OUT) which can be the case for very expensive units like the $500 Roomba. If there was no receipt present, then there definitely would not be an allowable "return" on the product and the store may at their discretion allow for a replacement of another vacuum and to pay the difference. Regards.

CT_MANAGER

i expect if he or she had come in without a receipt they'd a turned him away right off the bat. instead they offered an exchange.

Hello.

If the customer indeed come in without a receipt, then the product is not under the terms on the warranty conditions. (Proof of purchase with either a receipt, or itemized credit card statement [options visa/mastercard] ),
The receipt is used so it can be determined whether the product is indeed within the warranty period.

This is why a receipt is given; a proof of purchase and for warranty means in case the product were to be discovered defective. regards.

Guest-0434

I was at the Bentall Street Canadian Tire location in Vancouver this evening with a family member who was wanting to return an unopened smoke detector trio. It was within 90 days, I think it's only been 33 days. I don't believe smoke detectors fall under the category of the 'electronics that may only be returned within 30 days'. The manager certainly didn't say so. What the rude manager did say that it had to be returned within 14 days, and that was the refund policy and it's like that in all stores in general, that we should know that- it's common sense. Now nowhere on the receipt does it say it's 14 days. When my family member asked for the manager's name, she walked away VERY quickly, ignoring the question. Is it just me, or is this just plain ridiculous on the part of Canadian Tire? I tried calling Corporate Customer Relations but they're closed. I may try again tomorrow but I don't know if there's a point. Does anyone know anything about a supposed CT 14 day refund policy?

I have had a bad experience at the vancouver - cambie & 7th avenue store with customer service supervisor 'lolita' stating that they will not do return for refund even when I attempted to return a product within 90 days.

CT Challenger

I have had a bad experience at the vancouver - cambie & 7th avenue store with customer service supervisor 'lolita' stating that they will not do return for refund even when I attempted to return a product within 90 days.

It's easiest (but not always easy) if it's in an unopened box and you have a receipt.

If it's at least resellable, that helps.

Lots of people just try another store when they have problems. Results vary.

If it's defective, the stores might stand to lose money, so it can be an issue.

If it's one of their nasty "repair only" items, you will probably have a problem.

Angry CT Guy

It's easiest (but not always easy) if it's in an unopened box and you have a receipt.

If it's at least resellable, that helps.

Lots of people just try another store when they have problems. Results vary.

If it's defective, the stores might stand to lose money, so it can be an issue.

If it's one of their nasty "repair only" items, you will probably have a problem.

There is no 14 day return policy on any item CT sells. If it was unopened and unused, then you have 90 days on that item. Call corporate customer relations, they will call the store to have it resolved.
There is no defective issue "where the store stands to lose money". And repair only items have that printed on the receipt. Smoke detectors are not one of those items.

CT Challenger

The web site says 90 days with "in its original condition and packaging". So does the receipt.

The web site lists some exceptions. For electronics it says 30 days. Presumably this is "in original condition and packaging" also.

For a few items (media and ink etc.) the web site says "unopened", which would logically include "unused" (although it doesn't say that anywhere).

As you can learn elsewhere on this site, for defective items that are "repair only", the store cannot get a refund or exchange from their suppliers.

Make no mistake, if they gave a customer a refund or an exchange on one of those items, they will have to sell it as 'used', and thus will lose money.

Unless, I suppose, they sell a repaired items as 'new'. Very dishonest if they did that.

It is easy to see why stores will be reluctant to give a customer a refund or exchange, if they then have to get it fixed themselves and sell it for less, thus losing money.

Really very simple and logical, if you think about it for a second.

CT_MANAGER

There is no 14 day return policy on any item CT sells. If it was unopened and unused, then you have 90 days on that item. Call corporate customer relations, they will call the store to have it resolved.
There is no defective issue "where the store stands to lose money". And repair only items have that printed on the receipt. Smoke detectors are not one of those items.

Hello,

I'm sorry but that is not entirely true. That are many cases in which the store is not credited unless certain steps are taken by the store in regards to defective items. For example, many faucets are required by the manufacture to have a "RMA" number when returning. Before that faucet can be returned, the store must contact the manufacture for authorization number. Many times customers return a faucet when it is leaking (part of regular maintenance of "wear and tear") and use this as a reason for return. In these cases authorization would be denied if it is a simple matter of giving the customer the correct replacement washer/cartridge.

If the store does not contact for Authorization first, that store is *NOT* credited for the return.

In regards to the 14 day policy, since many stores are franchised, the return policy can vary by store, same with price adjustments (which is not actually a policy of any store)

Regards

Guest-0491

Hello,

I'm sorry but that is not entirely true. That are many cases in which the store is not credited unless certain steps are taken by the store in regards to defective items. For example, many faucets are required by the manufacture to have a "RMA" number when returning. Before that faucet can be returned, the store must contact the manufacture for authorization number. Many times customers return a faucet when it is leaking (part of regular maintenance of "wear and tear") and use this as a reason for return. In these cases authorization would be denied if it is a simple matter of giving the customer the correct replacement washer/cartridge.

If the store does not contact for Authorization first, that store is *NOT* credited for the return.

In regards to the 14 day policy, since many stores are franchised, the return policy can vary by store, same with price adjustments (which is not actually a policy of any store)

Regards

Sorry, have to disagree with CT Manager....a store can not set it's own return guidelines for number of days. Against the dealer contract, so they have to adhere to corporate guidelines.
All proper steps have to followed to get credits, but as long as that's done, then we get credit.