CT_MANAGER

Your suppliers are manufacturing/assembly slums in India and Asia,Rife with child labor (proven)
now Alberta CT stores are shipping in immigrants to work the low qualifying positions, as reported by the Calgary Herald.

FYI: Might want to get with the times and have a look at most products manufactured nowadays. Most of what you see sold in stores (whether it be Bestbuy, Canadian Tire, Future Shop, Zellars, Sears, anywhere) will say "Made in China"). This is nothing new and quite immature to use that as a grounds of insulting a particular store when most of what you have at home, including appliances would state it is made in "china".

Guest-0318

Posted by an unregistered user
FYI: Might want to get with the times and have a look at most products manufactured nowadays. Most of what you see sold in stores (whether it be Bestbuy, Canadian Tire, Future Shop, Zellars, Sears, anywhere) will say "Made in China"). This is nothing new and quite immature to use that as a grounds of insulting a particular store when most of what you have at home, including appliances would state it is made in "china".

That's supposed to be an excuse for child slavery...cause others are doing it???Now that is immature. At the end of the day it's
the dollars that count and stores like yours take advantage of folks with little to spare.You already dropped your online sales.What's
next? I'd say CT is on it's way to the same place as Eatons.

CT_MANAGER

That's supposed to be an excuse for child slavery...cause others are doing it???Now that is immature. At the end of the day it's
the dollars that count and stores like yours take advantage of folks with little to spare.You already dropped your online sales.What's
next? I'd say CT is on it's way to the same place as Eatons.

Might want to re-read what I replied with. I never indicated anything to do with "child slavery". All I stated was an act of trying to blame a particular store on the products sold due to where they are manufactured is not means to judge with. I stated that many stores and many products no matter where or who you buy from are "Made in china".

And you're right, at the end of the day it IS all about the dollars.. Which is precisely why many companies are going to imported goods for less cost. Products are NOT how they used to be.. It seems everything is based on the cost of manufacturing which results in poor quality merchandise. This not exclusive to any 1 store, or company.

Products are now being manufactured by cheap flexable plastics that easily break. Even the expensive computer desks you buy are usually made out of particle board that usually will have 1 or more either wrong drilled holes, missing holes, or misaligned. Nothing is like 30 years ago.. Cars are likely not to last.. I highly doubt new cars will last 30-40 years; they are made with too many brittle plastics and rubbers.

At the end of the day, many products are manufactured cheaply to save on costs and unfortunately we all suffer. We all want quality but as the years pass, especially with our financial economy and the cost of living, more and more manufactures of your favorite products will resort to "imported" manufacturing.

I am not here to be a target nor here to be on Canadian Tires sides for everything. I may be a Manager, I do NOT agree with everything. For what I find nothing wrong with, I will stand behind the company. What I don't agree with, I'll point out information and likely be on your side.

Guest-0318

So to all the CT shills on these forums. I ask, Is it considered good business etiquette to refuse a refund
to a customer because he refuses to produce personal details about themselves??Details that no matter
what your told, is used to generate profit for the share holders at the expense of the consumer.That could be mistaken
for extortion.on a small scale which is why CT gets away with it.
Capitalism is a failed experiment.

O

OttawaLocation

Same thing happened to me. I bought an air conditioner that was horrible, didn't work well. I tried to return it after paying $400, and they refused it, saying it wasn't in "original condition", even though that's a vague term. I took it back after only a day, put it in the original box and everything. The manager was unbelievable rude, as was the customer service supervisor- I actually thought she was a man with long hair(her body was covered in tattoos so I thought she was a Harley dude). She had really bad body odor and bad breath too, I was almost gagging.

Im going to dispute this with my credit card company instead.

Guest-0351

Just wanted to say I work at Bed Bath and beyond and we accept everything that we don't think was stolen and we don't even have a return date policy. so how the heck are we able to stay in business and not Canadian Tire if they did that.

Guest-0364

Hello everyone, my CT story has two parts :) It just goes to show that persistence pays off with stubborn management.

PART 1.

Yesterday we passed by a CT that was not our regular store. We first went to our neighborhood store, as the car battery we bought there 2 years ago died. It was still under limited warranty, so we wanted CT to fix that.

Get to our store, go to the garage, and the employee says that they are full, come back tomorrow, and insists that whether or not the guarantee is honored, we would HAVE to pay a $33 inspection charge, on top of labor costs, even if the battery truly was defective. This didn't sound right at all, so we went to another CT farther from us..

So at CT#2, the mechanics say they have room, it will take a couple hours, and they'll call us when it's ready. No problem there. 2 hours later, the car is ready and the Garage manager says the inspection fee is WAIVED because it was indeed the battery that was defective! We were happy, but couldn't help wondering if they were pulling fast ones at CT#1.

PART 2.

Here's where the story becomes twofold. While we were waiting for the car, we browsed, and we bought a hockey stick for our son.

We get home, and unfortunately the stick is the wrong kind.. not enough flex. Ok no problem, so we'll return it, right?

So naturally, the next day, I come home from work, grab the stick and go back to the closer store, CT#1

There, the manager comes and says he will NOT take the item back, as he does not stock it. I say, excuse me?? and I point to the back of my bill that says for easy returns go back to ANY CT store... He says I have to go to the store where I bought it. He says there are exceptions.. I say, which? where? He does not answer. I see he's just being stubborn and stupid. ** He even says that he turned away a woman that very morning for the same reason and she left**

I'm not taking this crap, So I pull up the corporate website on my phone and show him the same return policy there. This only frustrates him and he starts being petulant and rude to rude to me.

Now I've worked in retail a while.. I know how these individuals act and think..

So I call Head Office from my phone, right there.

Surprisingly, I am not on hold long and the guy on the line is very Kind. I explain the situation politely and he tells me that yes, the manager MUST take the hockey stick back.

He asks me to pass the phone to the manager. Manager sneers and brushes my hand away, saying he will not take the call! lol

So head office guy says whoa, ok.. tells me to wait with him on the phone while his supervisor calls the store. This guy stayed on the phone with me throughout, and tells me that there should be no problem.

While I'm waiting for their phone to ring, the manager sees me pacing and tells me don't complicate your life, go return it at the other store.. quite rudely..

So I tell him, don't worry your bosses will tell you to take it back.

He replies, I wouldn't take it back even if the POPE told me to! I say, seriously??? He says, yeah, and even if my boss calls he will agree with me and we won't take it back.

I'm like, this guy is on crack... You're the one complicating your life now buddy.. you are way out of line. i think he thought I was bluffing?

I tell Head office, who was still on the phone with me, what he just said.. The nice man on the line is apologizing to me and sounds very concerned, says he's informed his supervisor of what I've just been told.

Finally the manager is paged by head Office. And then the Head Office rep stays on the phone with me, offering consolation and taking the details of my complaint.

A few minutes later, manager emerges, looking defeated, dejected, and makes his way to the front where my stick was still waiting with the young lady employee ( who also told me they wouldn't take it back earlier)

Manager ignores me, but tells her, ok we'll take this stick back.

I was thanking the guy who was still on the phone with me and he said his manager would be calling me in the next few days.

So I take my cash, print my name and number on the back of the refund slip and as the manager is walking away, I kindly say.. Thank You Mr. Gagnon :)

There is no apology, no explanation, no nothing. The only thing he did say as he turned his back and walked away, irreverently, is I'M GOING TO REMEMBER YOUR NAME, YOU.

Ummm, was that a threat?? I don't know... but it wasn't what I expected from the manager of a national chain store.

EPILOGUE: I get home and tell my wife what happened.. She says REALLY?? I tried to go return the stick earlier when you were at work! The manager was not nice to me and told me he wouldn't take it back! I tried to reason with him but he sent me away! I didn't have time to go to the farther store so I came home.

How's that for a story? Bittersweet, but in the end I'm very satisfied with how corporate headquarters helped resolve this for me. Thank you Erin and Victor.

CT_MANAGER

Hello everyone, my CT story has two parts :) It just goes to show that persistence pays off with stubborn management.

PART 1.

Yesterday we passed by a CT that was not our regular store. We first went to our neighborhood store, as the car battery we bought there 2 years ago died. It was still under limited warranty, so we wanted CT to fix that.

Get to our store, go to the garage, and the employee says that they are full, come back tomorrow, and insists that whether or not the guarantee is honored, we would HAVE to pay a $33 inspection charge, on top of labor costs, even if the battery truly was defective. This didn't sound right at all, so we went to another CT farther from us..

So at CT#2, the mechanics say they have room, it will take a couple hours, and they'll call us when it's ready. No problem there. 2 hours later, the car is ready and the Garage manager says the inspection fee is WAIVED because it was indeed the battery that was defective! We were happy, but couldn't help wondering if they were pulling fast ones at CT#1.

PART 2.

Here's where the story becomes twofold. While we were waiting for the car, we browsed, and we bought a hockey stick for our son.

We get home, and unfortunately the stick is the wrong kind.. not enough flex. Ok no problem, so we'll return it, right?

So naturally, the next day, I come home from work, grab the stick and go back to the closer store, CT#1

There, the manager comes and says he will NOT take the item back, as he does not stock it. I say, excuse me?? and I point to the back of my bill that says for easy returns go back to ANY CT store... He says I have to go to the store where I bought it. He says there are exceptions.. I say, which? where? He does not answer. I see he's just being stubborn and stupid. ** He even says that he turned away a woman that very morning for the same reason and she left**

I'm not taking this crap, So I pull up the corporate website on my phone and show him the same return policy there. This only frustrates him and he starts being petulant and rude to rude to me.

Now I've worked in retail a while.. I know how these individuals act and think..

So I call Head Office from my phone, right there.

Surprisingly, I am not on hold long and the guy on the line is very Kind. I explain the situation politely and he tells me that yes, the manager MUST take the hockey stick back.

He asks me to pass the phone to the manager. Manager sneers and brushes my hand away, saying he will not take the call! lol

So head office guy says whoa, ok.. tells me to wait with him on the phone while his supervisor calls the store. This guy stayed on the phone with me throughout, and tells me that there should be no problem.

While I'm waiting for their phone to ring, the manager sees me pacing and tells me don't complicate your life, go return it at the other store.. quite rudely..

So I tell him, don't worry your bosses will tell you to take it back.

He replies, I wouldn't take it back even if the POPE told me to! I say, seriously??? He says, yeah, and even if my boss calls he will agree with me and we won't take it back.

I'm like, this guy is on crack... You're the one complicating your life now buddy.. you are way out of line. i think he thought I was bluffing?

I tell Head office, who was still on the phone with me, what he just said.. The nice man on the line is apologizing to me and sounds very concerned, says he's informed his supervisor of what I've just been told.

Finally the manager is paged by head Office. And then the Head Office rep stays on the phone with me, offering consolation and taking the details of my complaint.

A few minutes later, manager emerges, looking defeated, dejected, and makes his way to the front where my stick was still waiting with the young lady employee ( who also told me they wouldn't take it back earlier)

Manager ignores me, but tells her, ok we'll take this stick back.

I was thanking the guy who was still on the phone with me and he said his manager would be calling me in the next few days.

So I take my cash, print my name and number on the back of the refund slip and as the manager is walking away, I kindly say.. Thank You Mr. Gagnon :)

There is no apology, no explanation, no nothing. The only thing he did say as he turned his back and walked away, irreverently, is I'M GOING TO REMEMBER YOUR NAME, YOU.

Ummm, was that a threat?? I don't know... but it wasn't what I expected from the manager of a national chain store.

EPILOGUE: I get home and tell my wife what happened.. She says REALLY?? I tried to go return the stick earlier when you were at work! The manager was not nice to me and told me he wouldn't take it back! I tried to reason with him but he sent me away! I didn't have time to go to the farther store so I came home.

How's that for a story? Bittersweet, but in the end I'm very satisfied with how corporate headquarters helped resolve this for me. Thank you Erin and Victor.

WOW!! That manager went BEYOND extreme! Whether the product is purchase from that particular store you should be able to return it without problems under normal circumstances. The only exception I could see with this excuse of "not purchased from our store" is this was purchased from a store in which the product is not a GFMA product and solely sold from that store. (usually a 91 product) which causes problems. In that case, not that the store it's being returned at doesn't want to, rather they can't because the product number can't even be entered into the cash till "not found" in which case it can only be returned to the store in which the tills reconcile the unique product number.

I sure hope you can continue this further and show this "punk" that is NOT how to ask, especially in his position! He's supposed to set an example for the rest of the staff. Was the store manager not available (or was this the store manager)?

Guest-0366

There are a lot of things crappy tire dont tell you when you buy things and to be honest most times I have found them to be pretty good at returns.

HOWEVER that said I have a crappy tire HORROR story that so far has left me out of pocket by over $380 !.

Short story is that two snow blowers were purchased and that the first one failed after a short period of use and was replaced by St Thomas store.
Second one failed with the same symptoms as was brought to the store.
The store sent this off for repair and a short time after a telephone call was received to ask what that actual problem was with the one sent for repair.
I explained that it sounded like a machine gun when the start handle was engaged and then heard nothing more from Canadian tire.

I was forced to purchase a THIRD snow blower this time a gas powered one.

I moved home and with the season changing was going to probably sell the second snow blower still in the possession of Canadian tire.

When I called at the store I was told that no trace could be found.
After much searching I found the relevant paperwork and called the St Thomas store and to date have been in receipt of what I can only term as BS and excuses.

Note that on many occasions I have been told by staff that “the manager is unavailable, on holiday” or other variations of that excuse.
Mark “seasonal manager” (st thomas store) was adamant that it was nothing to do with the store that sent the snow blower away and that it should be
“Taken up with corporate”

This is unacceptable and that phrase was even mentioned by Canadian tire staff from another Canadian tire source

Guest-0380

[I bought a snow blower put gas in it for the first time and it ran out of the engine all over the ground. Call CT. told it is a repair and to take it to the shop would not refund my money since all powered equipment is buy and your stuck with it even if it is defective. Total disregard for my time and now the repair shop says 3 weeks before it will be fixed. Canadian tire policy is such because it is crap they sell and they know it. Lost total disrespect for this company and I will speak with my money as well and doing my best to tell everyone about my story.

DavidLeR

[I bought a snow blower put gas in it for the first time and it ran out of the engine all over the ground. Call CT. told it is a repair and to take it to the shop would not refund my money since all powered equipment is buy and your stuck with it even if it is defective.

Please have a look at my postings in the "Sale of Goods Act" thread:

I just found a new (December 6th) "Moneyville" artilce by Ellen Roseman on the Sale of Goods Act.

In most (if not all) provinces there is consumer protection legislation regarding defective merchandise.

Unfortunately for Canadian Tire owners, they are obligated to give you a refund on defective items.

Unfortunately for consumers, you may have to file a lawsuit to get your money back, which seems to cost $100 or so.

Canadian Tire is the only major retail chain I've found in Canada that has a policy against returns of defective items, even though this is in violation of the legislation.

Yet another reason to never buy anything from them.

S

Sharpster

No I had a reciept, it was within the 90 days. The jacket had been worn, I did not try to conceal that. I did not imbelish, I did not raise my voice or behave rudely. I asked to speak to the supervisors when my clerk could not help me.

I was the one who was treated badly. I didn't accuse the manager of selling me crap even after she went on about how she doesn't make down jackets and doesn't know whats wrong with it. She really wanted me to understand that this was CT's policy. I got it-I'm not buying anything at CT because of it.

The policy says that the store is not going to be held accountable for quality. Again I got it and I will choose to do business with retailers who are willing to stand behind there products.

Ps-You are not helping CT's cause, your attitude only proves that the store has contempt for it's customers. You assume and imply that I did something wrong or was being decietful! Wow.

I own a successful business, if I treated my customers the way that I've been treated I wouldn't have many.

Again I will be voting with my dollar. Thanks CT Manager for making it extra clear for me.

Hi

I am a completely different person reading this thread (also unregistered), and now I see why I should ban the whole company. I had a very similar experience where the store would not return the item. I had the reciept and item in the box, complete with canadian tire money and my debit card used to make the purchase. They would not return the item as I had no identification to prove I am who I say I am. Honestly who cares? The item is saleable condition, and I have proof of purchase....if you want to keep my bussiness, then take the item back. As it stands I will never shop there again. (Prince ALbert store) and due to the comments posted by a CT manager here exuding the same smug "we have your money who cares about your problem" attitude, I will not shop at ANY CT store again.

I am also voting with my dollars, hope to see you in bankruptcy soon.

F

Feeling Cheated

I agree with previous posters that Canadian Tire has a different return policy for different items and you wouldn't know this until it was too late.

My wife and I recently attempted to refund a toy Piano that was never opened at our local CT in Markham, Ontario. The reason for their refusal was because the toy is considered a Christmas item and not refundable after December 25th. Just how is a toy considered a Christmas item? It's not a tree nor a Christmas ornament.

So buyer beware! It appears that CT has different return policies for everything.

We will be voting with our dollar and not shop in another CT again.

CT_MANAGER

I agree with previous posters that Canadian Tire has a different return policy for different items and you wouldn't know this until it was too late.

My wife and I recently attempted to refund a toy Piano that was never opened at our local CT in Markham, Ontario. The reason for their refusal was because the toy is considered a Christmas item and not refundable after December 25th. Just how is a toy considered a Christmas item? It's not a tree nor a Christmas ornament.

So buyer beware! It appears that CT has different return policies for everything.

Hello,

I definitely don't agree with that. Our new policy for Christmas items were classified as Christmas tree's, ornaments, Christmas lighting but not toys. If the store you took it at doesn't normally carry toys all year around (ie. a small store), then they may not want to take it back because they don't normally carry it. But I am sure that if you take it to another store with your receipt that you would be able to return the unused item.

Christmas products would have been "stamped" on the receipt that the item was not returnable after the 24th. If on your receipt that it was not, then it shouldn't be considered part of the Christmas return policy.

Of course any store can adjust this policy. I would take it to another store.

Sorry you went thru this.

DavidLeR

The reason for their refusal was because the toy is considered a Christmas item and not refundable after December 25th.

We can now add this to the growing list of excuses that CT stores can surprise you with when you try to return something:

- The store no longer carries that item.
- It is a "return only" item.
- The item wasn't sold by this store.
- This item can only be returned in the first 30 days (or 14 days, or not at all).
- The package was opened (even though it was unopened right before the store opened it 30 seconds ago).
- The store thinks the item was used.
- The store thinks the item was stolen.
- It was a seasonal item.
- It was a Christmas tree, ornament or lighting.
- The customer refused to provide ID, or to let the store record all the personal and/or financial info. on their ID.
- The store sold a defective item, but that's not the store's problem (even though this is illegal in some provinces).
- The item had a 'lifetime' warranty, but the warranty is no longer being honoured.
- The item wasn't defective when the store sold it; the customer must have damaged it.
- The store's records show that the customer has returned too many items in the past.
- The store thinks the customer was rude or impatient with store staff.
- The store has decided to exercise its right to refuse the return, and they don't need to give a reason.

-----

Some people like to post relies here saying what the official policies are, and seem to be genuinely shocked each time that a store failed to follow the policy exactly.

And they are shocked over and over and over again .... despite the name of this thread.

At this point in a thread's life, a store owner or employee typically jumps in and says, "We are making lots of sales, we don't need your money, you are just one person, you are a loser, we don't like you either, you'll be back next week".

My usual advise: don't buy anything at CT unless you are absolutely 100% sure you will never need to return it.

Guest-0397

Just a small note,

I am quite surprised to read some of the comments from the so called CT employees, including you CT Manager. Looking at part of the GENERAL RULES posted below, some of you (including the complainers) should re-read them, specially rule 1 & 4.

1. Please DO NOT use abusive, vulgar, attacking and/or antagonistic messages.
2. Please DO NOT post anything PORNOGRAPHIC, EXCESSIVELY VIOLENT, ILLEGAL, ABUSIVE or HATEFUL.
3. Please post in the CORRECT forum.
4. All posts must be written in English or French.
5. No Harassment: Do not harass any other user posting messages to the forum. The determination of what constitutes harassment is at the sole discretion of canadiantiresucks.net web site staff.

As an employee, be it a cashier right to the top and whoever is in between, you have the unfortunate duty to treat customers with respect. I know what you will say to that....Whatever, you represent the store. There will always be that person that will bully, expecting that his/her attitude will put them at an advantage. Learn to deal with them. Every situation is different, doesn't matter. Again, learn to deal with them.

If I was to go to a CT store or any store for that matter, and get spoken to in ways that I have read in this blog, I can assure you that I would be talking to a lot of higher people in regards to my treatment. I have owned a business in the past, worked in customer service (after sales) for 2 different companies. So I have an idea what I am talking about.

CT Manager, please, show some respect, reply politely. You are way too defensive. It is easy to act tough when you are not face to face with a person. I guess this one also applies to the complainers. Also for you CT employees, including you CT Manager, show some level of education and correct yourselves before posting.............You are after all representing CANADIAN TIRE.

CT_MANAGER

Just a small note,

I am quite surprised to read some of the comments from the so called CT employees, including you CT Manager. Looking at part of the GENERAL RULES posted below, some of you (including the complainers) should re-read them, specially rule 1 & 4.

1. Please DO NOT use abusive, vulgar, attacking and/or antagonistic messages.
2. Please DO NOT post anything PORNOGRAPHIC, EXCESSIVELY VIOLENT, ILLEGAL, ABUSIVE or HATEFUL.
3. Please post in the CORRECT forum.
4. All posts must be written in English or French.
5. No Harassment: Do not harass any other user posting messages to the forum. The determination of what constitutes harassment is at the sole discretion of canadiantiresucks.net web site staff.

As an employee, be it a cashier right to the top and whoever is in between, you have the unfortunate duty to treat customers with respect. I know what you will say to that....Whatever, you represent the store. There will always be that person that will bully, expecting that his/her attitude will put them at an advantage. Learn to deal with them. Every situation is different, doesn't matter. Again, learn to deal with them.

If I was to go to a CT store or any store for that matter, and get spoken to in ways that I have read in this blog, I can assure you that I would be talking to a lot of higher people in regards to my treatment. I have owned a business in the past, worked in customer service (after sales) for 2 different companies. So I have an idea what I am talking about.

CT Manager, please, show some respect, reply politely. You are way too defensive. It is easy to act tough when you are not face to face with a person. I guess this one also applies to the complainers. Also for you CT employees, including you CT Manager, show some level of education and correct yourselves before posting.............You are after all representing CANADIAN TIRE.

Hello Unregistered,

Please quote me where I have used non-English writing (I know of no other language), and Please quote any replies in which I have replied with any abuse remarks?

I have always tried to help people out on here. If you look above I agreed with the poster in that I don't believe it was right for them to have been denied the return. I suggested that they take it to another store with their receipt and even apologized for them having to had gone thru this.

Regards

CT_MANAGER

If I have come across as an abusive, vulgar posting member, I do apologize as that is not what my intention was. I never said that I agree with everything that Canadian Tire does. I don't agree with much that goes on but like anyone else I have to follow the rules. Sure much can be desired as to how managers control their staff and how they commit and handle customer situations. I, many times use the "use your best judgment" much of the time. Rules can be broken to some degree; some cannot. Some managers won't break rules no matter how small, and others do.

I'm only here to help point out some of the questions people ask and help to help others to understand why some of the things that Canadian Tire does.

Regards

DavidLeR

CT Manager, please, show some respect, reply politely. .... Also for you CT employees, including you CT Manager, show some level of education and correct yourselves before posting.

I've been reading and posting on this site for a while, and I might even be one of Canadian Tire's most vociferous critics.

However, in my time here, I've observed CT Manager to be consistently patient, calm, respectful and polite.

(I would also say that CT Manager has excessively reluctant to acknowledge the poor practices that go on at CT stores, but that's a different issue.)

I wonder, Mr/Ms Unregistered, if you might be thinking instead of another person (or persons), such as those who recently posted here under the name "CT Me", and were deserving of your chastisement?

Guest-0276

Now you're using vociferous? Jeez Louise. Did you think their collective IQ gone up that much over the holidays?

I've found CT Manager posts to be quite unhelpful and more to the point, anti customer, pro stupid policy or just plain stupid will suffice. And so I would completely agree with the other unregistered posts that there "trying to be helpful but too dumb to get it posts" are offensive and deserving of a rule 1 citation for "antagonistic messages".