M

myownmechanic

Back in 88 or 89 I believe it was, Canadian tire offered a life time warrantee on their Motomaster Eliminator battery. There were no conditions (that I remember) such as "as long as you own the car", in fact I bought the battery over the shelf and did the installation myself , so there is not even a service record which links it to a particular vehicle. Over the years I have had the battery replaced on average about every 4 years, free of charge. The last few times however, the salesperson has ben increasingly difficult with me, insisting that there is no such thing as a life time warrantee even if it clearly indicates so on my last invoice. Up till now I have always won my battle but this time they claim that they cannot proceed because the battery no longer has a serial number sticker on it. I really have no idea if it ever had one or not, I did not really pay attention and as far as I was concerned was never mentioned as a condition of the guarantee. For all I know, thier flimsy serial# sticker may have blown off in the wind. Anyhow, I may be paranoid, but I really think they have an internal policy to try to reduce or eliminate the number life time warrantees held by clients. The story goes a little deeper than this, with the usual parts counter clerk bungling (yes the battery needs replacement.... oh, whats that? a life time warrantee?....let me test it again....it will take a week)

I am not finished with them yet but, my question is, has anyone else suffered this same situation? Anyone have access to the exact details of the original lifetime warrantee? Anyone scanned a copy of this?

Guest-0220

Posted by an unregistered user
I can't remember a lifetime warranty on a battery from Canadian Tire, but it could have been in place years ago. The battery warranty is actually through Exide, the manufacturer, and they make about 2/3rds of all batteries in North America. They may have changed their rules....the Eliminator warranty now tops out at 9 years pro-rated, with free replacement only for the first 3 years. It's important for people to understand what a warranty is....even if it's a lifetime warranty, that doesn't mean you only have to buy 1 for the rest of your life.....it only covers manufacturer's defects...not normal wear and tear, abuse, misuse, accidental breakage, etc. Not sure that batteries would be included, but any company that offered customers "buy 1 for the rest of your life" are long out of business...it's just not realistic.

Guest-0164

I can't remember a lifetime warranty on a battery from Canadian Tire, but it could have been in place years ago. The battery warranty is actually through Exide, the manufacturer, and they make about 2/3rds of all batteries in North America. They may have changed their rules....the Eliminator warranty now tops out at 9 years pro-rated, with free replacement only for the first 3 years. It's important for people to understand what a warranty is....even if it's a lifetime warranty, that doesn't mean you only have to buy 1 for the rest of your life.....it only covers manufacturer's defects...not normal wear and tear, abuse, misuse, accidental breakage, etc. Not sure that batteries would be included, but any company that offered customers "buy 1 for the rest of your life" are long out of business...it's just not realistic.

There were infact life time (limited) warranties, however they have been gone for a long time now. For anyone who has them we ofcourse still honor them. However the warranty is for a single owner and a single vehicle and is non transferrable, so it is hardly 1 battery for the rest of your life.

M

myownmechanic

A little update....

With a little convincing I recieved my battery replacement today = free of charge. When I bought the battery 20+ years ago, it was a lifetime warantee with very few conditions. I bought it over the counter and installed it my self, so it was never linked to any "specific" car. As I explained earlier, this offer was for a very limited time, (possibly only a few months). When you see someyhing like that you have to jump on it. Then you have to hold the vendor to the agreement. It is likely that Canadian tire is trying their best to deny as many warantee requests as possible in an effort to thin out and then eventually eliminate all of the life time warrantee claims, but in my case I did not let go on principle.

Guest-0220

A little update....

With a little convincing I recieved my battery replacement today = free of charge. When I bought the battery 20+ years ago, it was a lifetime warantee with very few conditions. I bought it over the counter and installed it my self, so it was never linked to any "specific" car. As I explained earlier, this offer was for a very limited time, (possibly only a few months). When you see someyhing like that you have to jump on it. Then you have to hold the vendor to the agreement. It is likely that Canadian tire is trying their best to deny as many warantee requests as possible in an effort to thin out and then eventually eliminate all of the life time warrantee claims, but in my case I did not let go on principle.

I'm glad you got what you were entitled to....20 plus years and for life is not something any of us are going to see in the future, that's for sure. Reminds me of the toaster that my parents still use.....it was a wedding gift 52 years ago. Sunbeam, stainless steel and has never broken down. Those were the days, those were the days.

Guest-0293

be aware that the legally lifetime of a thing is not 100 hundred years, i think it is somewhere between 15 to 25 so at this time your first spent has greatly worth the money ...

glad that it worked for you but lifetime warranty as disapeared because of poor quality of "made in foreingn country" and also by peoples abusing of it...

C

cmatthew4

mine has a 2 year warantee... i make sure to keep the warantee papers close and in a safe spot because my battery tends to die and not work after letting my car sit for a few months (4-5months) while im away for work
happen every few years i have to go away for work for a few months and when i come back almost every time my batter is flat out dead and wont recharge... so of course if the warantee is still valid... i bring the baterry in and they come up with all this bull crap to try and tell me there must be something wrong with my car blah blah if theres a draw theres a chance we cant warantee the battery blah blah
just give me my battery... of course last time it happenned there like well were gunna have to test the car.... i went to the next canadian tire 5 km over and they replaced it without even asking a single question

ps. when i was trying to get my first car on the road... canadian tire was charging me 4500$ to have it done not including e-test, i went to green and ross they charged me something like 1200$ most of it being a new exhaust system, axel, and coil overs
never ever trust what Canadian tire says... always get a second opinion from a smarter repair shop

P

Parts Clerk (employee)

Yeah lifetime batteries now have a single car/owner condition but in all honesty it depends on who you deal with at the counter, personally I don't really care as long as the paper work is there I put it through, that is unless that person is...unpleasant. In any event the serial number not being there physcially on a battery isn't a big deal for Canadian Tire because Exide never sees that battery, ever; so as long as the paper work with LI (or standard warrenty date) printed in the warrenty period space it's not a problem. However remembering what I said before about who you get is important because some will want to see the vechicle ownership, the battery serial number, blah blah etc etc. So basically as long as you have the paperwork with either the recipt or slip-printed copy they have to follow through unless you're dealing with what we'll call a "lifer or one that really is into the company"

CT_MANAGER

Yeah lifetime batteries now have a single car/owner condition but in all honesty it depends on who you deal with at the counter, personally I don't really care as long as the paper work is there I put it through, that is unless that person is...unpleasant. In any event the serial number not being there physcially on a battery isn't a big deal for Canadian Tire because Exide never sees that battery, ever; so as long as the paper work with LI (or standard warrenty date) printed in the warrenty period space it's not a problem. However remembering what I said before about who you get is important because some will want to see the vechicle ownership, the battery serial number, blah blah etc etc. So basically as long as you have the paperwork with either the recipt or slip-printed copy they have to follow through unless you're dealing with what we'll call a "lifer or one that really is into the company"

Hello,

That is not entirely true. The battery *must* have a vent sticker on it with the matching serial number either matching on the warranty pamphlet or a service work order. The vent sticker is placed on the warranty form. Without the vent sticker with the matching serial number, your store will not be reimbursed for the battery that was given to the customer.

It is *very* important ALL information is correct and all proof is obtained (except for the vehicle owner which is honestly never checked) otherwise the form(s) are sent back to the store without reimbursement.

HandyMan

i've heard plenty a scary stories over the years about poor auto repairs at canadian tire stores.

things done wrong or not done at all. lots of my friends have told me in time for me to not let them get their paws on my vehicles.

lucky for me i've got a good set of tools and learned young how to fix things on my own. don't need to rely on a mechanic much. just for the big jobs you can't do in you own garage.

seems to me that a warranty is a warranty, and they should honor it for the whole time they say. not try to back out of it part way through or claw it back a little each year.

it was up to them to pick a number of years they could live with. just be a man and stick to your word.

CT Me / Lawguy

only in the province of quebec are warranties transferred from owner to owner, by law. this is not exclusive to batteries, it applies to most merchandise. only warrantied to the original purchaser.

Verreault

Ok so I'm in a situation I have a motto master eliminator battery with the 3 year free replacement it was mfg in July 2010 I bought it in Edmonton about a year ago and moved to British Columbia I no longer have the reciet for it since I had to fill it away for my company the battery is now stone dead and won't take a boost or hold a charge the serial number is still on the battery but I can't find my warranty paper work shouldn't Canadian tire have my info in there system Canada wide and shouldn't they honor there warenty anyways

CT_MANAGER

Ok so I'm in a situation I have a motto master eliminator battery with the 3 year free replacement it was mfg in July 2010 I bought it in Edmonton about a year ago and moved to British Columbia I no longer have the reciet for it since I had to fill it away for my company the battery is now stone dead and won't take a boost or hold a charge the serial number is still on the battery but I can't find my warranty paper work shouldn't Canadian tire have my info in there system Canada wide and shouldn't they honor there warenty anyways

Unless it was installed by the service center (they record the serial on the service invoice), then the battery would then be date coded. A charge of at least 50% of the battery would be charged and the warranty for the new replacement battery starts over again in full.

There is nothing that can be done to trace out your warranty simply because no information from you is recorded into any system and the serial number off the battery is required in order to match the battery to the customer.

Owner 1

This has been a discussion that any Canadian Tire auto employee has had many many times.

Without proof of purchase you will not receive full credit, regardless of dates stamped on the battery. The purchase is only warranted to the original purchaser, and for the original vehicle. without correct documentation which is proof of purchase and corresponding serial number which is in the warranty folder, full credit is not given.

Although maybe not the case with this particular customer I am always intrigued by the double standard. Customers saying that they don't feel comfortable giving out private information to a company because they don't know what will be done with that info, but when they need us to have it eg. missing battery paperwork, they are upset that we didn't record it. I wonder why that is?

CT Challenger

Oh, boy – here we go again.

Our old buddy Angry/CT-Me/Law/Guy has decided to harrass innocent consumers, once more.

No, the real problem is their archaic ‘green screen’ computer system, that isn’t even able to track warranties.

You know: the way many other retailers are able to track warranty information as an added service to consumers.

When customers expect a modern operation, they are still being surprised by how much Crappy Tire sucks in this regard, too.

And, once again we are subjected to the bizarre theories of Angry/CT-Me/Law/Guy on privacy issues.

It’s always amusing how the Crappy People try to turn these topics upside down, and pretend it’s the Customer’s fault.

If a consumer wants to agree to collection of information, in order to get an extra service, then that’s the consumer’s own choice. Like, warranty tracking, for example.

But it’s laughable for Crappy People to pretend this is similar to violating consumer’s privacy. I.e, by recording and retaining unnecessary personal information.

More info. can be found here: https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/g...t/777-collecting-id-personal-information.html

Nice try, Angry/CT-Me/Law/Guy!

Owner 1

This isn't my spin, these are your own words

Don't give a customer service clerk your information, who knows what they do with it.
Now you're saying, why isn't my information recorded for warranty purposes so any store can find it.

You can't have it both ways! If you don't want the information recorded, then you own the risk of having to keep your receipt. If you lose your receipt, you lose your warranty. If you'll let us record your info, there will be a National record of the purchase date, serial number of the battery etc... and you don't need it for warranty. Your choice.
There's nothing complex or shady about it.

PS - green screen technology no longer exists at CT Auto Service - check your facts before making claims.
So with the computer system we are able to track purchase history, warranty info etc... but you're required to provide your super private name, phone number, address and vehicle information so that we may link the serial number of the battery or tire to you the purchaser.

CT Challenger

Fellow Consumers:

Here we see the typical attitude of a Crappy Tire owner.

Customers ask for something reasonable, and the owner tries to make it out to be the customer's fault.

It is indeed your right as a consumer to provide personal information in exchange for a service that is valuable to you.

It is also your right to refuse to provide information that is not needed.

Clearly, the Crappy Person resents customers who know their rights, and refuse to give Crappy Tire information that is not legally required.

For more, see: https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/g...t/777-collecting-id-personal-information.html

Regarding battery warranties, it's clear that Crappy Tire has a very bizarre and convoluted process of stickers and codes, none of which are explained to customers, but which they will use as an excuse to refuse a legitimate warranty claim for a defective battery.

So, if you decide to take a chance & buy a battery from Crappy Tire, be aware of the risks, hold onto every scrap of paper (in hopes that this ammunition will help make them cave in & honour their promises).

But really: shouldn't you just take your business elsewhere - to one of the many stores that value customers and treat them (and their personal information) with the respect they deserve?

Owner 1

Lifetime Warranties have not been offered for many years on MotoMaster batteries. Any exisitng lifetime warranty is honoured, new ones have warranties up to 10 years depending on the brand.

You asked for something simple, and it exists. I will repeat
If you wish to have your battery purchase recorded in the system, accessible at any CT store across Canada, we do offer that. It requires your personal data be stored in our computers. If you opt for this, then without your receipt and serial number info, you are still covered for the warranty. It can be looked up with a few clicks of a mouse.

If you opt not to have your information stored in the computers, then the onus is 100% on you to retain your purchase information (receipt and warranty folder with corresponding serial numbers) that is provided to you at time of purchase. If this is the route you choose and you fail to retain the documentation required, then your warranty will not be honoured.

Option A or Option B
pretty simple

There's no blaming any thing on anyone.
Canadian Tire has the best warranty in the business. The longest warranties for batteries, and also offers a roadside help program if the battery fails. no extra charge!

No reply necessary, this one is simple guys. Don't make an issue out of a non-issue

CT Challenger

Canadian Tire has the best warranty in the business. The longest warranties for batteries, and also offers a roadside help program if the battery fails. no extra charge

Really?

You have absolute proof to back up those claims?

Great! Please post your reference material, so consumers can decide for themselves, if you are telling the truth on this one.

First, we'll need a list of every retailer who is "in the business". Every single one.

For each, we'll need a side-by-side comparison of all the features and benefits of their warranties.

Not just the major retailers, like Sears, Costco, Wal-Mart, CAA, etc. It'll need to be every one "in the business".

This will naturally include the length of the warranties offered by each retailer, to substantiate your claim that Crappy Tire has the longest one.

Don't forget to include the option for roadside assistance, and whether or not it's free!

I'm sure you wouldn't be so foolish as to boldly make those claims on a "Canadian Tire Sucks" site, without having all this information at your finger-tips.

So, let's see your proof!

Or, should we simply conclude that Angry/CT/Me/Law/Guy is just making up crap - again?

No reply necessary, this one is simple guys. Don't make an issue out of a non-issue

Ha-ha!

Always entertaining when the Crappy People want to decide on behalf of consumers, what is "necessary", "simple" or "an issue".

We'll be the judges, thanks very much.

Looking forward to your prompt posting of that proof!

Last edited:

Owner 1

Go find the information yourself. i already know the answer.

120 months warranty on CT's best battery.
4 years free replacement 6 years pro-rated
optional 10 years free replacement
4 years roadside assitance included

The max anyone else aftermarket offers is 108 months
3 years free, 3 years roadside

Some dealers depending on the vehicle will warranty battery as part of 4 year 80,000km bumper to bumper

Go check yourself
Interstate, Napa, Walmart, Stealerships.... have fun