Guest-0276

Posted by an unregistered user
Hi folks. I'll add my two cents to crappy policy. I exchanged an air filter, had to show my i.d. for that even and they put all that information into a computer. And on top of itall I had to pay them a 30% restocking fee. Can you believe that? A fee for just putting something back on the shelf that is not opened and still wrapped in plastic. I can't believe it. It felt like robbery. What if the thing was $1000, they would charge me over $300 just to put it back on the shelf? I spoke to the manager and he said it's the owners policy. And I spoke to Martine from head office. She says that there's nothing they could do as the stores are independantly run. What a crock. I will not shop their again.

So the stupid return policy is also to steal from the customers.

Guest-0276

Yes I had to pay an outrageous restocking fee at the Grand Prairie store. It seems that Canadian Tire is the only one giving customers a hard time with forcing to see drivers licenses for returns and gouging us with a restocking fees for perfectly good items. I called the head office again to complain after my elderly father had to pay the fee and was told that since it was our second call that the "good will" gesture in the form of a gift card, for the amount of the restocking fee paid, will not be given to us like they did the first time. Head office said they have no control over how dealers run the store.

Good thing Walmart and Home hardware is right arond the corner.

CT_MANAGER

Yes I had to pay an outrageous restocking fee at the Grand Prairie store. It seems that Canadian Tire is the only one giving customers a hard time with forcing to see drivers licenses for returns and gouging us with a restocking fees for perfectly good items. I called the head office again to complain after my elderly father had to pay the fee and was told that since it was our second call that the "good will" gesture in the form of a gift card, for the amount of the restocking fee paid, will not be given to us like they did the first time. Head office said they have no control over how dealers run the store.

Good thing Walmart and Home hardware is right arond the corner.

What was the item returned and what was the reason for returning it? What did they charge for the restocking fee?

Thanks

Guest-0276

What was the item returned and what was the reason for returning it? What did they charge for the restocking fee?

Thanks

They charged my father $120 to restock a $600 snow blower unused. As for the reason ? He found a better deal else where.

CT_MANAGER

How old was the item? Was it bought from that store? How was it brought into the store; Did your father bring it into the store? The receipt was present?

Guest-0276

How old was the item? Was it bought from that store? How was it brought into the store; Did your father bring it into the store? The receipt was present?

We had the the snow blower for longer than a month. The receipt and store policy says 90 Days refund. A receipt was presented, it was carted in through the front door in broad day light. He was also forced to show his drivers license. On that day he also wore gloves and boots, and there was light snowfall. Any more questions? What do I do next? Head office says to deal with the store owner. I contacted the store manager a few times who says he needs the owners authorization. So far the owner refuses to return calls and it's been 3 weeks. Are the owners hoping to wait this out past the 90 day limit for returns. I've also sent a certified mail telling the store the same facts etc and would like the restocking fee refunded. Why are they making this so difficult? What's the problem?

DavidLeR

Certain products tend to be purchased for a 'free rental' - the buyer never intended to keep it, but only wanted to use it once or twice, then return it. I suspect that's part of your problem, even though it's unopened.

Things like receipts and the amount of time that has passed can cause you problems - I guess that's why there are so many questions.

There is no law that says a store has to take an item back, just because you changed your mind, even if it's unopened, unused and pristine.

Many store offer true "no-hassles" returns, but lots of problems are reported with Canadian Tire stores. They say they "reserve the right" to refuse a return. It's at their discretion.

You might be able to talk them or the head office into giving you a refund. Some customers here have reported getting the Customer Service people at the head office to intervene on their behalf. It can work well if you call on a cell phone right in the store.

If your Dad bought it on the basis of the "easy return" policy, then maybe you could make an argument, there.

My main piece of advice: take this as "the cost of an education", and start shopping some place else.

Guest-0276

Certain products tend to be purchased for a 'free rental' - the buyer never intended to keep it, but only wanted to use it once or twice, then return it. I suspect that's part of your problem, even though it's unopened.

Things like receipts and the amount of time that has passed can cause you problems - I guess that's why there are so many questions.

There is no law that says a store has to take an item back, just because you changed your mind, even if it's unopened, unused and pristine.

Many store offer true "no-hassles" returns, but lots of problems are reported with Canadian Tire stores. They say they "reserve the right" to refuse a return. It's at their discretion.

You might be able to talk them or the head office into giving you a refund. Some customers here have reported getting the Customer Service people at the head office to intervene on their behalf. It can work well if you call on a cell phone right in the store.

If your Dad bought it on the basis of the "easy return" policy, then maybe you could make an argument, there.

My main piece of advice: take this as "the cost of an education", and start shopping some place else.

I'm very disappointed to hear that. I did contact service alberta 1-877-427-4088 and was told that there is no legislation governing store policies. Very disappointing. So if the store policy changes and adds a restocking fee after the purchase, the province has nothing to help you with. Still I'm not giving up without a fight. I'm filling out the small claims court forms. Great use of my free time.

DavidLeR

There might be a provision for misrepresentation. If your Dad only bought it because he relied on the written policy that said he could return it, and there was no mention of a restocking feel, you might be able to use that as a basis for a judgement from small claims court.

I'm not a lawyer, so maybe check the web sites and/or call Service Alberta again.

Good luck!

CT Me / Lawguy

I'm very disappointed to hear that. I did contact service alberta 1-877-427-4088 and was told that there is no legislation governing store policies. Very disappointing. So if the store policy changes and adds a restocking fee after the purchase, the province has nothing to help you with. Still I'm not giving up without a fight. I'm filling out the small claims court forms. Great use of my free time.

I call bullshit on this one. CT doesn't charge restocking fees on equipment.

Guest-0276

I call bullshit on this one. CT doesn't charge restocking fees on equipment.

Who cares what you think. Paper work has been sent out by certified mail. One good thing that has happened though is that word is getting out about my Dad's troubles with Canadian Tire. How un-Canadian for them to charge a retiree a $120 restocking fee.

DavidLeR

Who cares what you think.

An excellent response – you’ve cut to the chase.

It appear that nobody else on this forum cares, either, since I don’t recall a single user coming to her/his/its defence.

One good thing that has happened though is that word is getting out about my Dad's troubles with Canadian Tire. How un-Canadian for them to charge a retiree a $120 restocking fee.

Thanks for helping get the word out - that's one of the reasons I'm here.

It may be sadly true that the poor service you reported at the store, and the poor treatment you received here by this “CT Me”, thing is representative of how this corporation views the Canadian public.

Guest-0276

Canadian Tire Stores, as a matter of store policy searches everyones purses and bags before they are allowed to leave.

Since I've been on this site, things have gotten from bad to leaky-diaper-left-in-a-hot-car-worse. Unfortunately somebody has to drive home the point that Canadian Tire has become increasingly un-canadienne. So while Ct Me is focused with all her collective years and shallow knowledge in retail, on the existence of a mechanics line item 'hoist fee' and defending their store policies that TAKE customers money and ID, there are stores out there that go through everyones bags before the customers are allowed to leave.

So, grandma Vivienne herbert will have to open her purse up for some minimum wage loser to sift through, hoping that they won't find her private stash of depends.

Go ahead CT Me, one of you, I dare you, I double dare you MoFo, call bullshit on this one.

Canadian Tire Outrage
Our Rant –> Dr Gonzo » Subject: Intrusive loss prevention procedures…
Canadian Tire Associate Stores-Spruce Grove in Spruce Grove, AB - weblocal.ca

If you give up hope and your rights, you will have a pleasant shopping experience ~ Canadian Tire

Guest-0276

So CT Manager about the snow blower. Did you have any real, workable suggestions to help resolve the problem. Or are you drawing blanks as you have nothing else to say? I'm not that person with the problem but just curious as you've come up with either bad suggestions or no suggestions to help others with similar predicaments. I know you're only a manager and bound by rules that are made up on the fly, but come on buddy. A little compassion for the senior who got ripped off. What would you do if it was your father?

CT_MANAGER

So CT Manager about the snow blower. Did you have any real, workable suggestions to help resolve the problem. Or are you drawing blanks as you have nothing else to say? I'm not that person with the problem but just curious as you've come up with either bad suggestions or no suggestions to help others with similar predicaments. I know you're only a manager and bound by rules that are made up on the fly, but come on buddy. A little compassion for the senior who got ripped off. What would you do if it was your father?

Well honestly, considering the remark you made about my posts were bad suggestions, you don't really leave much for me to have any type of enticement to even reply.

But I don't exactly hang out on here, especially now which is the reason for the lack of postings. But I did mention in the earlier posts on this subject that I didn't know of any store charging a restocking fee. Since each store is privately owned, they can enforce their own set of rules (to a degree). While I am in no way saying what they did is right, because if you were to come into my store with the same product (brand new, unopened, resellable) with your receipt and photo ID. I personally would have not seen any reason to deny the return nor charge you any sort of "restocking fee" None of my 4 stores have ever charged a customer any type of fee for a return (in the way of a restocking fee).

Personally if I were in the situation (customer), I would not have let them charge me the restocking fee and would have taken it to another store and see what the other stores would say. Remember, valid products being returned are good for any store and not all stores apply the same return policies or have managers who are as strict.

While I will probably be told that I was not helpful since it seems that is all that my time here has resulted in, but let's be honest. I don't work at the store this return was done at. I have no way to force anyone at the another store to do anything. All that I can do is offer suggestions. My suggestion since I don't have much authority with this, would have been to take it to another store and see what they could have done. Perhaps talk to a manager at another store and say mention that you are interested in purchasing one but don't know if you would be using it and what their policy would be for a return with the receipt, unopened, resellable condition would be.

Unfortunately once that customer allowed them to charge them for the return, there really is nothing that can be done. Customer relations will state the same as any other store, and that each private store owner can enforce their own returns (especially if it means the product manufacturer won't credit the store and the store owner is to absorb the cost).

In this case, I don't see why a store would normally enforce a restocking fee. It was completely resellable and was not a cost to the store to resell it.

Guest-0276

After the holidays, it will be my last dime spent at Canadian tires. I swear! Christmas shopping is stressful enough but CT has to add more to it with unreasonable people and unreasonable policies. Returning an item was a monumental hassle, standing in a long line up with two toddlers. They could have staffed the customer service counter with more than one person, as there were 3 more computers sitting there unused. As if that weren't enough, the man was completely incompetent and gave in after I told him I wasn't leaving after I get some service. The 40 year old behind the counter refused my refund for a variety of false reasons.

"I didn't have receipt..." Well one was shown to him
"It's used and we can't refund it..." It's in the box and unopened
"It's beyond 90 days.." It was purchased last week
"It was purchased from another store..." Look there imbecile, there's the store address on the receipt.
"I need your name" It's a credit card refund. My name's on the credit card. And I also presented my drivers license.
"Thats not your picture" My god...At this time I was ready to punch him. I know that some people in the customer service industry have said that to be patient and they will go out of there way to help you. Definately not at Canadian Tire.

On my way out, two burly teens blocked the door. I was asked to show them my purse and diaper bag. At this point I was beyond mad and glared right at them I pushed through them with my kids in tow.

I wonder how many customers gave up on their return at that store?