Guest-0320

Posted by an unregistered user
I will never shop here again. I tried to get a price adjustment on an item that there were now advertising on sale at a lower price and I was within the 90 day return policy. They state that you only have 14 days for a price adjustment. Instead of just buying the item again at the lower price and returning the original higher priced items I was being honest and simply asked for the price adjustment. It does not pay to be honest. The so called managment associate suggested that I buy the item at the lower price and return the higher priced item. She was rude about it though. When told that this was a ridiculous suggestion she became even ruder and would not listen at all. We wanted to escalate this situation to the store manager level and were told that she was the manager and we can not have the store manager's name or contact information. How's that for customer service!!!???

CT_MANAGER

Personally I see nothing wrong with being told to return the product. Price Adjustments are at the store discretion and are not a policy in any store. Some stores will do 7 days, others 14, or 30, or full 90 days. Due to the receipts and the problems and confusion that has occurred with prices, usually stores will require that product to be returned, re-purchased for the lesser amount and the difference given to you.

The problem that resides doing an actual price adjustment is that if you were to return the product, your receipt would not be correct and would show the price adjustment and not the price of the product. This meant that customers would have a hard time both getting the correct amount back if it were returned, and what the cashier is to refund with.

DavidLeR

I will never shop here again. I tried to get a price adjustment on an item that there were now advertising on sale at a lower price and I was within the 90 day return policy. They state that you only have 14 days for a price adjustment. Instead of just buying the item again at the lower price and returning the original higher priced items I was being honest and simply asked for the price adjustment. It does not pay to be honest. The so called managment associate suggested that I buy the item at the lower price and return the higher priced item. She was rude about it though. When told that this was a ridiculous suggestion she became even ruder and would not listen at all. We wanted to escalate this situation to the store manager level and were told that she was the manager and we can not have the store manager's name or contact information. How's that for customer service!!!???

This seems to be one of those policies that some CT locations are cutting back on, which is unfortunate. Stores used to have a 30-day price adjustment, and at some point it was reduced to 14, and some no longer do it at all. There are other similar trends, which makes me think CT is going down-hill.

The Associate was actually trying to be helpful, I think. I've witnessed people driving in from out-of-town, and be told flat out that they can't get the adjustment nor can they return it! Usually these are older people who haven't realized that policies are getting more restrictive. So, she was basically telling you a way to get around the policy, which you could use to your advantage. A pain to be sure, a waste of time, but at least it would get you what you want.

If you do decide to venture back into a Canadian Tire, beware of the other change in return policies: some items (usually the really crappy ones) are not-returnable. So, if the item goes on sale, you can't use this work-around to get the sale price. Plus, if it is defective (even if it's right out of the box), you cannot return it - buyer beware.

I haven't experienced the rudeness and stubourness that you describe, but enough people have stories like yours that I believe you. However, she might have been offended that you didn't like her sharing this little insider trick with you. Still, she could have been polite about it, and given you the manager's information. Sometimes stores post this information, so you don't need to be told by someone.

DavidLeR

Personally I see nothing wrong with being told to return the product. Price Adjustments are at the store discretion and are not a policy in any store. Some stores will do 7 days, others 14, or 30, or full 90 days. Due to the receipts and the problems and confusion that has occurred with prices, usually stores will require that product to be returned, re-purchased for the lesser amount and the difference given to you.

The problem that resides doing an actual price adjustment is that if you were to return the product, your receipt would not be correct and would show the price adjustment and not the price of the product. This meant that customers would have a hard time both getting the correct amount back if it were returned, and what the cashier is to refund with.

CT_MANAGER:

I'm surprised that you can't put yourself in the customer's shoes, and see what's wrong here. Instead of giving the customer the price difference, they were asked to go into the store, buy a second identical item, then come back to the same desk and return the origninal item. Can you not see how this is inconvenient, and a waste of the customer's time? This is the opposite of Customer Service: making customers jump through hoops in order to get around a ridiculous policy.

(At least the Associate offered the customer a work-around to get the price difference - I'm watched some clerks won't even bother doing that).

I really don't see what you mean about the "problem" with the price adjustment. The associates usually (and should) make a note on the original receipt that a price adjustment was made. There is no risk for dishonest customers.

Guest-0276

CT_MANAGER:

I'm surprised that you can't put yourself in the customer's shoes, and see what's wrong here. Instead of giving the customer the price difference, they were asked to go into the store, buy a second identical item, then come back to the same desk and return the origninal item. Can you not see how this is inconvenient, and a waste of the customer's time? This is the opposite of Customer Service: making customers jump through hoops in order to get around a ridiculous policy.

(At least the Associate offered the customer a work-around to get the price difference - I'm watched some clerks won't even bother doing that).

I really don't see what you mean about the "problem" with the price adjustment. The associates usually (and should) make a note on the original receipt that a price adjustment was made. There is no risk for dishonest customers.

Why waste your breath on CT Manager if at all? He's nothing more than a corrupt mouth piece for assisnine policies. This is one of them. You've actually stumbled upon a hard truth of Canadian Tire and that is they DON'T want you to take advantage of the price difference and make it as inconvenient as possible. As for CT Manager, please don't tell me that you and your Corporation don't know how to make a simple price adjustment!!! That would be beyond embarrassing for you, but rather substantive for shoppers like us, as we've known for years that CT has been run amok by dummies. That's right I said it. Dummies who hide their mental deficiencies behind stupid polices and take it out on the good people of Canada.

Guest-0276

CT_MANAGER:

It's called business you jerkoff. Some people pay higher prices some lower for the same stuff so what? If you don't want to come back with the item and follow store policy then I can't and won't help you. We're here to sell as that's our business. We're not here to help you save a buck or two or bend over backwards to help with your return. If you don't like it, go cry about it somewhere else. The last time I worked with a company that didn't have an eye on the bottom line, it wnet bankrupt. So go home and cry to your husband about what a big bad place CT is. The truth is we really don't care about people like you.

CT_MANAGER

CT_MANAGER:

I'm surprised that you can't put yourself in the customer's shoes, and see what's wrong here. Instead of giving the customer the price difference, they were asked to go into the store, buy a second identical item, then come back to the same desk and return the original item. Can you not see how this is inconvenient, and a waste of the customer's time? This is the opposite of Customer Service: making customers jump through hoops in order to get around a ridiculous policy.

I never said to re-buy it, return it.. All I said is that you would return it (Using the product number on the receipt), and buy it again at the current price (cheaper selling price). You don't even need to bring in the product. You would obviously have the receipt. We return the product (#) using the receipt, by the same product # using the tender that would have been refunded and return the difference between the two costs.

As I stated before, the reason we would rather do it this way is because if you were to simply get a price adjustment, your receipt would have the price adjusted price. Let's say you bought a toaster for $59 and it went on sale for $49. Your receipt would indicate the product and $10.00

If you were to return it, we would not know what you original paid and what you should be getting back. The customer would need to hold onto 2 receipts (with the adjusted price and the original price voided). Plus if you were to to the return, rebuy technique, then your warranty would reset since we would give you a new receipt.

DavidLeR

It's called business you jerkoff. Some people pay higher prices some lower for the same stuff so what? If you don't want to come back with the item and follow store policy then I can't and won't help you. We're here to sell as that's our business. We're not here to help you save a buck or two or bend over backwards to help with your return. If you don't like it, go cry about it somewhere else. The last time I worked with a company that didn't have an eye on the bottom line, it wnet bankrupt. So go home and cry to your husband about what a big bad place CT is. The truth is we really don't care about people like you.

Wow. Interesting that you, who identify yourself as a representative of CT, would chose the "Rude Management" thread to be, well, Rude Management!

Sure, you can run a cut-throat, discount business, and skimp on training and returns. You will attract budget-minded customers who will tolerate poor treatment. And, you can make some money.

But you should be aware that there is another business model: good customer service and good return policies. Other stores (for instance, Wal-Mart and Costco) offer this, and people choose to go there, knowing they will probably be treated well, and can return things if they are unhappy. This creates customer loyalty, and can create long-term profits.

Here’s the irony: CTC used to have exactly the policies you seem to despise, and a generation of Canadians were loyal customers.

It seems that people with your new business model have taken over CTC, but the average Canadian hasn’t heard the news, yet. That’s why this forum is so valuable. Thanks for clarifying the new way of business.

Will the stores soon be changing all their signs to read “Crappy Tire”? (May as well make it official).

Maybe the new slogan should be “We really don't care about people like you”.

Guest-0276

I never said to re-buy it, return it.. All I said is that you would return it (Using the product number on the receipt), and buy it again at the current price (cheaper selling price). You don't even need to bring in the product. You would obviously have the receipt. We return the product (#) using the receipt, by the same product # using the tender that would have been refunded and return the difference between the two costs.

As I stated before, the reason we would rather do it this way is because if you were to simply get a price adjustment, your receipt would have the price adjusted price. Let's say you bought a toaster for $59 and it went on sale for $49. Your receipt would indicate the product and $10.00

If you were to return it, we would not know what you original paid and what you should be getting back. The customer would need to hold onto 2 receipts (with the adjusted price and the original price voided). Plus if you were to to the return, rebuy technique, then your warranty would reset since we would give you a new receipt.

You sir are wrong about not having to bring back the product for a price adjustment. I suggest you review store policy as I did exactly just that and the general manager said it was policy for fraud prevention. Some one posted a question about being inconvenienced by trying to get the lower price and you CT Manager answered along the lines of store policy. Why can't you or the corporation do that in one go with one bill? Seeing as CT has been in business so many years and these situations are common place in retail. I'm not in retail but wouldn't something as easy as that go something like this:

Old price - new price = difference
New warranty date.

One receipt and one trip for the customer.

Unless, the true reason for not doing it, as another poster suggested is that you are truly stumped by it, or more than likely to withhold the difference from the customer.

Guest-0276

Wow. Interesting that you, who identify yourself as a representative of CT, would chose the "Rude Management" thread to be, well, Rude Management!

Sure, you can run a cut-throat, discount business, and skimp on training and returns. You will attract budget-minded customers who will tolerate poor treatment. And, you can make some money.

But you should be aware that there is another business model: good customer service and good return policies. Other stores (for instance, Wal-Mart and Costco) offer this, and people choose to go there, knowing they will probably be treated well, and can return things if they are unhappy. This creates customer loyalty, and can create long-term profits.

Here’s the irony: CTC used to have exactly the policies you seem to despise, and a generation of Canadians were loyal customers.

It seems that people with your new business model have taken over CTC, but the average Canadian hasn’t heard the news, yet. That’s why this forum is so valuable. Thanks for clarifying the new way of business.

Will the stores soon be changing all their signs to read “Crappy Tire”? (May as well make it official).

Maybe the new slogan should be “We really don't care about people like you”.

Listen son, ever here the expression the grass isn't greener on the other side? Let me tell you something and maybe help smarten you up. Costco and Walmart are also getting strict with there policies. Think it's easy to return something there without a reciept or beyond 90 days. Go right ahead. Canadian Tire is the first to put there boot down on stupid customers who buy and return endlessly. It's working great as instore sales and profits have actually gone up and my bonuses are getting better. Those same people that bitch about our return policies are back next week buying some more. Can you guess why? It's because our products and prices are better than those two you mentioned.

Guest-0276

allow me to translate in every day CT speak,

Stop whining about it you pathetic douche bags and go to Walmart and buy american you pathetic traitors.

CT_MANAGER

You sir are wrong about not having to bring back the product for a price adjustment. I suggest you review store policy as I did exactly just that and the general manager said it was policy for fraud prevention. Some one posted a question about being inconvenienced by trying to get the lower price and you CT Manager answered along the lines of store policy. Why can't you or the corporation do that in one go with one bill? Seeing as CT has been in business so many years and these situations are common place in retail. I'm not in retail but wouldn't something as easy as that go something like this:

Old price - new price = difference
New warranty date.

One receipt and one trip for the customer.

Unless, the true reason for not doing it, as another poster suggested is that you are truly stumped by it, or more than likely to withhold the difference from the customer.

In all the stores I have worked in, I have never heard of any store requiring that the customer bring in the product just to do a price adjustment. All you need is a valid receipt of the product and if the price is part of regular price or regular sale price, then we would have you do a return of the product number, rebuy it and have 1 receipt.

If you're telling me they told you, you had to bring the product itself, I would have to see that for myself. That just makes no sense. You buy a 52" flat screen tv.. That store you dealt with would require that you bring in the tv just to do the price adjustment?

Guest-0276

In all the stores I have worked in, I have never heard of any store requiring that the customer bring in the product just to do a price adjustment. All you need is a valid receipt of the product and if the price is part of regular price or regular sale price, then we would have you do a return of the product number, rebuy it and have 1 receipt.

If you're telling me they told you, you had to bring the product itself, I would have to see that for myself. That just makes no sense. You buy a 52" flat screen tv.. That store you dealt with would require that you bring in the tv just to do the price adjustment?

That's what I'm telling you and everyone else out there. When I called customer service at head office for help. They tell me the store policies vary and the owner is within their rights for asking to see the merchandise for all exchanges, returns or price adjustments. It certainly is a wake up call of how rotten your store has become CT Manager.

CT_MANAGER

That's what I'm telling you and everyone else out there. When I called customer service at head office for help. They tell me the store policies vary and the owner is within their rights for asking to see the merchandise for all exchanges, returns or price adjustments. It certainly is a wake up call of how rotten your store has become CT Manager.

My store? I'm trying to defend the person who was told they had to bring in the product to get a price adjustment. I don't work in that store; I have never mentioned what store I work at.

Guest-0276

My store? I'm trying to defend the person who was told they had to bring in the product to get a price adjustment. I don't work in that store; I have never mentioned what store I work at.

translation: Eat store policy you worthless worm. You may as well keep your wallet open stay bent over. Me and the rest of the CT boys are taking a little break and then we'll be back for more. We don't care what we do or who we do. My store, my policy. You don't like it? Leave!

CT_MANAGER

translation: Eat store policy you worthless worm. You may as well keep your wallet open stay bent over. Me and the rest of the CT boys are taking a little break and then we'll be back for more. We don't care what we do or who we do. My store, my policy. You don't like it? Leave!

Please send your reply to the right person. Thanks.

V

verywary

I tried to do exactly as you suggest recently when an item went on a lower sale than when i bought it. The agent refused to do a price adjustment due to a 14 day restriction. I did specifically ask her to just return the item using the product number, and then re-purchase under today's price, she refused. When I suggested that I could just go purchase another item in the store at the cheaper price and then return that item using my old, higher price receipt, she threatened to put a note on their wall to refuse me the return. How she planned to advise future agents of my identity I do not know.

So - off to another store, pay cash for another item, then return it to the first store using my more expensive receipt. I could go to any store, but I want the satisfaction of making her take it back.

CT Me / Lawguy

I tried to do exactly as you suggest recently when an item went on a lower sale than when i bought it. The agent refused to do a price adjustment due to a 14 day restriction. I did specifically ask her to just return the item using the product number, and then re-purchase under today's price, she refused. When I suggested that I could just go purchase another item in the store at the cheaper price and then return that item using my old, higher price receipt, she threatened to put a note on their wall to refuse me the return. How she planned to advise future agents of my identity I do not know.

So - off to another store, pay cash for another item, then return it to the first store using my more expensive receipt. I could go to any store, but I want the satisfaction of making her take it back.

14 days is quite generous. My policy is 10 days price adjust for items on sale.
You're taking advantage, and apparently quite proud of it, which really is a shame. You wonder why owners like me try to protect ourselves....that's why. Buy shit when it's on sale!!! Not when YOU want it to be on sale.

Consumers have to understand there is no way for a store to offer unlimited price adjustments or we might as welll just put the whole on sale every day.

Angry CT Guy

Nice false pretences or fraud. Glad to see the morally bankrupt people who post on this site.