Angry CT Guy

Posted by an unregistered user
Talk about a chainsaw of facts...lol. Lawguy, don't forget that Canadian Tire "invented" this illegal practice.....I guess every one else just adopted it.

DavidLeR

The recent discussions on this thread closely reflect the situation in the larger marketplace itself.

Most of these major stores’ polices provide at least a small period of time (at the very least 7 days) in which to bring back a defective item, either for a refund or exchange. I’ve referred to these as the “Minimum Time” policies, and they are not at all the same as a manufacturer’s warranty, or an extenson to the manufacturer's warranty.

The average shopper has come to expect that a major retailer will have policies that go above and beyond the very basic warranties that the manufacturers provide.

But the consumer will be disappointed to learn that Canadian Tire has, instead, a “No Minimum Time” policy, i.e. that “The manufacturer’s warranty will apply”. Nothing extra at CT.

It seems difficult for ‘lawguy’, Unregistered and the other self-appointed CT defenders like 'CT Me' who post here to even grasp this basic fact: that the OTHER stores have chosen to go BEYOND the manufacturer’s warranty when it comes to refunds and exchanges.

In fact, these CT defenders seem unable to even break free of that mind-set, and have instead been endlessly posting the manufacturers’ warranties, and even resorting to the various extensions to those policies. As if that somehow proves something.

Of course, there is also the possibility that these CT defenders are deliberately attempting to ‘bury’ the truth in an avalanche of irrelevant postings. That might say more about Canadian Tire's attitude than anything I could post here.

A similar mind-set exists regarding Crappy Tire's “repair only” policy, which does not allow for any refund or exchange, even for an out-of-the-box defect. Not within the first week, day, hour or even minute.

Despite considerable efforts, no-one has found a link or other reference to even a single major retailer who has even a variation of this policy. When I’ve described this policy at other stores, I’ve seen jaws literally drop. They cannot believe that a store would actually have such a policy.

But how are things viewed over at Crappy Tire? We need only look at the examples of confess store owner 'CT Me' and the CT defenders ‘lawguy’ and Unregistered. They actually seem to think this is the norm, and that other stores have the exact, same policy. They even believe they’ve proven this is the case at other stores!

(I have given CT credit for "inventing" this policy. However, I'll admit I might be giving them too much credit for creativity. They may actually have 'borrowed' the idea from some as-yet-unidentified retailer. Although there's no evidence of this, I should maybe just say that CT "is the only one to have such a policy", and leave it at that.)

Is the case simply that CT defenders 'lawguy', Unregistered and 'CT Me' have been too-deeply indoctrinated into the “repair only” way of business? Or, is it a deliberate attempt to ‘bury’ the truth?

CT Me / Lawguy

well there you have it folks. your fearless leader davidler has dropped his long fought argument that a repair only policy is illegal.

CT Me / Lawguy

oh and before i forget, you have grossly erred in your analysis and understanding of ct's policy on certain items. i made an inquiry with a local store this morning regarding their warranty on a simoniz electric pressure washer and guess what... 7 day over the counter exchange, then repair warranty applies after 7 days. hey look, same as other retailers. i also know, having purchased an rca lcd television there over the holidays that 30 days over the counter exchange if it dies, warranty applies beyond 30 days.

i don't know or care where you reside or which store(s) you beef with. the stores that i frequent have a really cool procedure in place for items that i assume to have customers attention when it comes to warranty. their cashiers have a folder at their tills with printouts of various warranty policies. a register warning pops up telling them to give the warranty sheet to the customer. i don't know in depth which items this covers but i do know most mowers, tractors and pressurewashers are there.

i would also like to thank unregistered for noting about the stop sign warning in the box of the item he got that says do not return to store. contact manufacturer tech line first. reminded me that when i bought my poulan pro chainsaw, the same document was enclosed.

DavidLeR

In case anyone is still wondering about the consumer protection laws in the province of Ontario, you can find links to reputable sources stating that a customer is entitled to a refund (or an exchange, if the customer prefers) for a defective item within this earlier post:

Thanks for the information, and especially for the tips on when to shop, how to shop, and how to deal with returns ….. However, some of your statements are incorrect, at least in provinces that have a Consumer Protection Act (CPA).

If you have any questions about the above statements, you are encouraged to contact the Ministry or the maintainers of the web pages directly.

If anyone has additional references to relevant, reputable sources regarding the laws in the province of Ontario, please let me know.

Notes:

- We already have that ambiguous BBB site in London.
- As proven in the prior post, retailers’ policies cannot ‘trump’ the laws of Ontario.
- Manufacturers' warranties and extended warranties are a separate issue, and will not be discussed.

-----

Canadian Tire attempts to enforce a policy (known as the “Repair Only” policy), which does not provide for refunds nor exchanges on some of Canadian Tire's items (such as some gasoline-powered equipment).

Evidence of this can be found at your local Canadian Tire store.

Based on the proven fact (see above) that the laws in Ontario require retailers to provide a refund or exchanged (at the customer’s discretion) for a defective item, it is clear that Crappy Tire’s “Repair Only” policy violates that law, and is therefore illegal.

Similarly, for Canadian Tire’s policy on defective items in general, it is illegal for Canadian Tire to refuse to provide a refund or exchanged (at the customer’s discretion) for any defective item, regardless of what the “manufacturer’s warranty” may state.

If you have any questions about the above statements, you are encouraged to contact the Ministry or the owners of the web pages referenced in the prior post.

-----

In case anyone is still wondering whether other major retailers in Ontario also try to enforce an illegal "no refunds, no exchanges" policy for defective items, you can find some links to various retailer’s policies within this post:

There are two major ways Canadian Tire’s policies are worse than other retailers (both of which violate the laws of Ontario):

Based on the accumulated evidence related to the policies of major retailers operating in Ontario, it appears that Canadian Tire is unique among them in attempting to enforce an illegal “Repair Only” policy.

I am still researching this topic, so if anyone has additional references to relevant, reputable sources regarding the policies of major Ontario retailers, please let me know.

Note that manufacturer’s warranties and extended warranties are different and unique from a retailer’s policy, and are not relevant to this discussion, as explained in this earlier post:

The recent discussions on this thread closely reflect the situation in the larger marketplace itself.

I hope that the above is helpful to those who may be genuinely seeking information.

DavidLeR

CT Me / Lawguy

holy cow man are you for real? you are stubborn like a mule

canadiantire's policy is exactly the same as all of the other retailers posted about 6 posts previously.
if it's broken, it gets repaired. simple. nothing illegal. they all same the same damn thing. power equipment is repaired or replaced at the sellers discretion during the warranty period and may utilize refurbished parts for the repair.

incidentally, please provide the exact link and page number, not your interpretation of... i mean the exact wording that says;

1) the right to repair an item policy is illegal
2) the customer decides how the warranty is handled

why is it that you refuse to answer questions and continually point to the CPA website which has legal terms open to interpretation?
do you consider links directly to the sites of retailers who clearly state repair warranty as reputable and relevant?

Guest-0421

In case anyone is still wondering about the consumer protection laws in the province of Ontario, you can find links to reputable sources stating that a customer is entitled to a refund (or an exchange, if the customer prefers) for a defective item within this earlier post:

If you have any questions about the above statements, you are encouraged to contact the Ministry or the maintainers of the web pages directly.

If anyone has additional references to relevant, reputable sources regarding the laws in the province of Ontario, please let me know.

Notes:

- We already have that ambiguous BBB site in London.
- As proven in the prior post, retailers’ policies cannot ‘trump’ the laws of Ontario.
- Manufacturers' warranties and extended warranties are a separate issue, and will not be discussed.

-----

Canadian Tire attempts to enforce a policy (known as the “Repair Only” policy), which does not provide for refunds nor exchanges on some of Canadian Tire's items (such as some gasoline-powered equipment).

Evidence of this can be found at your local Canadian Tire store.

Based on the proven fact (see above) that the laws in Ontario require retailers to provide a refund or exchanged (at the customer’s discretion) for a defective item, it is clear that Crappy Tire’s “Repair Only” policy violates that law, and is therefore illegal.

Similarly, for Canadian Tire’s policy on defective items in general, it is illegal for Canadian Tire to refuse to provide a refund or exchanged (at the customer’s discretion) for any defective item, regardless of what the “manufacturer’s warranty” may state.

If you have any questions about the above statements, you are encouraged to contact the Ministry or the owners of the web pages referenced in the prior post.

-----

In case anyone is still wondering whether other major retailers in Ontario also try to enforce an illegal "no refunds, no exchanges" policy for defective items, you can find some links to various retailer’s policies within this post:

Based on the accumulated evidence related to the policies of major retailers operating in Ontario, it appears that Canadian Tire is unique among them in attempting to enforce an illegal “Repair Only” policy.

I am still researching this topic, so if anyone has additional references to relevant, reputable sources regarding the policies of major Ontario retailers, please let me know.

Note that manufacturer’s warranties and extended warranties are different and unique from a retailer’s policy, and are not relevant to this discussion, as explained in this earlier post:

I hope that the above is helpful to those who may be genuinely seeking information.

DavidLeR

Ever notice that when challenged with facts from other retailers or even the apparently "ambiguous" Better Business Bureau (because they wouldn't know), DavidLer dismisses them.....this is what I mean in the Black is White comment.
He knows he's wrong, he insists he's right and for those of you really interested in the truth....just ask your retailer BEFORE you buy something what the warranty entails and how returns are handled.....That is a pretty consistent comment from the likes of Ellen Roseman (and she doesn't say "Only at Canadian Tire"....I wonder why THAT is)
DavidLer went from someone who seemed like he actually was looking to help, to someone that is presenting his version of the truth, with snippets from lengthy articles and legal acts and trying to pass them off as correct by his interpretation. He's been proven wrong at every turn, yet still says Black is White......I think it's time to call a spade, a spade.....DavidLer has a hidden agenda....which I'm sure will become more apparent as time goes on.

Angry CT Guy

I don't normally jump into these types of discussions, but DavidLer, where are you getting your information? I work at a Canadian Tire in Etobicoke and I can tell you that all of our products have an initial defect solution. It may be an exchange or the dealer may have to make an exception to satisfy the customer, but I can't think of anything that we sell where there is zero solution other than so sad, too bad. I know that each store is independently owned, so there may be differences between them, but I can honestly say that our store goes the extra mile to service our customer.

CT Challenger

I work at a Canadian Tire in Etobicoke and I can tell you that all of our products have an initial defect solution. It may be an exchange or the dealer may have to make an exception to satisfy the customer, but I can't think of anything that we sell where there is zero solution other than so sad, too bad.

sounds like theres a guy posting here in another thread that isn't gettin any of your tlc you are describing

its here

https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/g...snt-honor-their-return-policy-8.html#post2709

any way why should there have to be an exception to give an honest customer a working vacuum?

same kinda thing with this guy. same thread. air compressor in feb. now hes shopping at hd

https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/g...snt-honor-their-return-policy-8.html#post2755

repair only is maybe not so sad to bad at your store but tell that to these guys and all the others who have been ripped of by ct.

DavidLeR

On the 7th I wrote:
In case anyone is still wondering about the consumer protection laws in the province of Ontario, you can find links to reputable sources ... within this earlier post:

A few hours later, someone wrote:
DavidLer, where are you getting your information?

So, it sounds like I need to re-post the actually links right here. See below for the updated version.

-----

Regarding the requirement for Ontario retailers to provide refunds for defective products, two Ontario laws are especially relevant:
- The Sale of Goods Act (SGA of 1994), to be found at "Sale of Goods Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. S.1".

- The Consumer Protection Act (CPA of 2002) to be found at "Consumer Protection Act, 2002 - O. Reg. 17/05"
-----

To head off the usual questions, some notes are in order regarding policies and warranties:
- There is no law requiring a store to provide a refund or exchange simply because a customer changed their mind.

- However, most stores have their own policy regarding refunds and exchanges for ‘change of mind’ returns, in order to attract customers.

- When a product is defective, a customer may be able to obtain an exchange or a repair using the manufacturer’s warranty, or a separately-purchased extension to that warranty.

- A store provides a policy. A manufacturer provides a warranty. It's important to keep that straight.

- Nothing in the manufacturer's warranty limits what the store could choose for a policy regarding refunds or exchanges.

- If a customer would prefer a refund (instead of an exchange or repair), the laws of Ontario require that the retailer (not the manufacturer) provide a refund, as explained at the links provided.

Regarding the links I have listed:
- The links are to reputable sources who have experience with and understanding of the SGA and CPA.

- If you believe a statement on one of the referenced sites is incorrect, please contact the maintainer of that web site.

- The list of links is continuously being expanded, so I’m interested in additional links, if others know of them.

- Links to incomplete, ambiguous, or apocryphal sites are of little value. Especially links to manufacturers' warranties.
-----

1 – Ellen Roseman, “If the product's a dud, insist on your money back"

"If the product's a dud, insist on your money back - moneyville.ca Blogs"
“… retailers have to sell you a product that works.If you find a dud in the package when you open it, don't let them shrug off their obligation to give your money back.”
2 – Ellen Roseman, “Working to fix products that don’t work"

Roseman: Working to fix products that don't
"I’m shocked that some people wait so long to get appliances working again. Under the law, manufacturers and retailers have a duty to supply products fit for the intended purpose … If you’re stranded, go to small claims court and cite the Sale of Goods Act as an argument to get your money back."
3 – Miller Tomson, “ARE YOU READY FOR THE ONTARIO CONSUMER PROTECTION ACT, 2002?”

"http://www.millerthomson.com/assets/files/article_attachments/Ontario%20Consumer%20Protection%20Act%20-%20June%202005%20Final.pdf"
“When a consumer cancels an agreement, the supplier must refund any payment made and must return any good delivered in a trade-in arrangement … The supplier must do this within fifteen (15) days."
4 – O’Connor MacLeod Hanna, “Ontario’s New Consumer Protection Law”

"http://www.omh.ca/ontarios-new-consumer-protection-law.html"
Includes similar statements to Miller Thomson.
5 - “Is that legal”, the Free Online Legal Guides to Ontario and Canadian Law – General Rights

"LEGAL GUIDE: CONSUMER PROTECTION LAW (ONTARIO) - Ch.5: General Consumer Rights"

I included this for the clarity of some descriptions, such as:
“there is … an 'implied condition of merchantability' (freedom from defects) where the seller regularly deals in the product and the purchaser has not inspected the goods before purchase [SGA s.15].”
I also like:
“Any attempt by a supplier … to avoid or vary the above-noted (SGA and CPA) statutory warranties or conditions with respect to consumer transactions, is void … You cannot give these rights up, even if you want to.”
6 – “Is that legal”, the Free Online Legal Guides to Ontario and Canadian Law – Civil Remedies

"LEGAL GUIDE: CONSUMER PROTECTION LAW (ONTARIO) - Ch.7: General Civil Remedies (I)"
“As the consumer's consideration in a consumer agreement is invariably money paid (and maybe some 'traded-in' property), restitution to the consumer by a supplier is relatively straightforward. The supplier shall "within 15 days after the day the consumer gives notice to the supplier ... that the consumer is cancelling the consumer agreement"
7 – The Legislative Assembly of Ontario.

The most reputable source of all: the people who created the CPA.

"Legislative Assembly of Ontario | Bills & Lawmaking | Past & Present | 37:3 Bill 180, Consumer Protection Statute Law Amendment Act, 2002"

-----

Finally, I feel obligated to include one more link, even though it does not go as far as the other 7 regarding a mandatory refund. Although poorly-written, it does at least state that the seller has to "make good", rather than allowing them to pass the buck to the manufacturer.

It also makes the distinction between a “policy” and a “warranty” (which some people seem to find easily confused).

"Refunds & Exchanges - BBB News Center"
“Regardless of a store's policy, if the goods you have purchased were misrepresented or are defective, you have every reason to expect the store to provide a suitable substitute or refund, or make proper repairs. The laws in Ontario require a store to make good in such cases.”
----

I hope this is of assistance to consumers who are seeking to obtain a refund (or even just an exchange) for a defective item.

Angry CT Guy

Retailers set their own policies, they each have legal teams that ensure they comply with whatever law is applicable, your rationale still does not hold water.

CT Me / Lawguy

David nobody is disputing that your links and sources are reputable. the only dispute is YOUR interpretation of the links

i have asked several direct questions all which you avoided.

1) are all of the retailers links provided describing illegal policies? homedepot, walmart, apple etc...?
2) where is the direct wording in a law document that says repair is illegal?
3) where is the cpa, sga etc... consumer law wording that says CUSTOMER CHOICE on remedy

note: your post from the BBB right at the bottom of your last post says "“Regardless of a store's policy, if the goods you have purchased were misrepresented or are defective, you have every reason to expect the store to provide a suitable substitute or refund, or make proper repairs. The laws in Ontario require a store to make good in such cases"

this is precisely what we've been telling you. the law requires the seller to make good. it does not say the consumer gets to choose and it says repair. thanks for proving our point

H

Handiman

you ct boys are dumb as a pair a fence posts and sticky as august honey

i clicked the links and its all as described

"obligation to give your money back.”
"get your money back."
refund any paym
ent made
You cannot give these rights up, even if you want to.”
"within 15 days after the day the consumer gives notice to the supplier'

it seems as though you wanna just skip right past all that and go to the only one you like better.

where i'm from 1 outta 8 doesn't carry the vote.

so what the heck is the problem with the refund that you have to fight so hard to avoid it?

the thing they bought didn't work so the customer should get their money back. sounds fair and square no matter what the policies or laws say.

its like your standing on your head trying to make things look a way you want them to look.

DavidLeR

Recently I wrote:

… their precious “Repair Only” policy, which Crappy Tire has invented for notoriously faulty products like the Simonize pressure washers. That’s the policy that says it can’t be returned, even if it’s kaput, right out of the box.

Apparently some readers mis-read this as me claiming that the despicable “Repair Only” policy applies to every single notoriously faulty product in the entire store, including every model of the Simoniz pressure washers.

I would like to clarify that there may well be some notoriously faulty products that do not have the despicable “Repair Only” policy, including some models of the “horrible” (store manager’s written opinion) Simoniz pressure washers.

However, some of the notoriously faulty products, including the horrible Simoniz pressure washers, have the "Repair Only" policy stating that the store will refuse to provide an exchange or refund at any time at any time.

If anyone has suffered a loss by a delay in taking ownership of a notoriously faulty product, including a horrible Simoniz pressure washer, then I deeply apologize.

I hope that other posters will follow my example, and post corrections or retractions when they have 'grossly erred' in statements such as, “Simonize pressure washer....the manufacturer's warranty on that one is....initial defects, within the first 30 days will be exchanged for a new one.....”

CT Me / Lawguy

Recently I wrote:

I hope that other posters will follow my example, and post corrections or retractions when they have 'grossly erred' in statements such as, “Simonize pressure washer....the manufacturer's warranty on that one is....initial defects, within the first 30 days will be exchanged for a new one.....”

still avoiding the direct questions i see davidler. answering the questions does not suit your position i deduce.

there is no error in the warranty statement sir. i have sitting on my desk the fax from canadian tire with the warranty policy for all simoniz pressure washers. do you have the written warranty policy on your desk? i can read, and that's exactly what it says.

any intelligent consumer will ask for their warranty documents on major purchases. with that documentation in hand, it would be fairly easy to see someone at the customer service kiosk and say, it's within 30 days, please excahnge for a new one according to the warranty documentation you provided me.
i am also smart enough to understand that its possible some 17 year old girl on the desk doesn't know the policy off the top of her head and may tell a customer repair only, thereby pissing them off. i've told many consumers throughout the course of my work, don't expect any store to know everrything about every product in every store. it's almost guilty until proven innocent. know the facts, get the documents and you will be satisfied 99% of the time.

C

Curious

....simoniz electric pressure washer and needed the warranty details faxed to my office.

Warranted against defects in workmanship and materials as follows when accompanied by proof of purchase.
- 30-day over-the-counter replacement warranty

Simonize pressure washer....the manufacturer's warranty on that one is....initial defects, within the first 30 days will be exchanged for a new one.....”

i have sitting on my desk the fax from canadian tire with the warranty policy for all simoniz pressure washers.

Does Unregistered have a warranty for an electric pressure washer?

Does lawguy have a warranty for both kinds of pressure washers?

Does anybody have a warranty for a gas-powered pressure washer?

Are Unregistered and lawguy the same person?

CT Challenger

sounds like unregistered lied to crappy tires customer service people by saying hed bought a pressure washer when he didnt.

dishonest fellow I think.

CT Me / Lawguy

in this case unreg and me lawguy are same person. i just forgot to type in my name. i requested the warranty for a simoniz electric pressure washer, since it's the one most hotly debated here and the one davidler believes he has all the facts about.

yes i lied to the ct store.... only about having the item and wanting the warranty details lol hardly a big deal, who cares.

the point of the exercise was that davidler claimed that ct has a "too bad" policy in place for these items that once you've bought it, even ten minutes later you have zero options. so i decided to get the facts. the facts are clear, ct has a 30 day over the counter exchange on said items, documented.

davidler likes to interpret things, often incorrectly

C

Curious

You wrote "pressures washers", but you only have a warranty for "electric pressure washers". Maybe even only for 1 model.

If there are any pressure washers at all that are no refund, no exchange, does that make you grossly in error? do you like to interpret things, incorrectly?

Does it make your a liar?

What makes you think the electrics are most hotly debated? Do you have statistics?

Seem to me you are the only one talking electric.

DavidLeR wrote "pressure washers" and you are giving him a hard time. If more than one model (gas or electric) is no refund, no exchange, then DavidLeR is right.

This petty dispute you started looks to come down to whether or not any washers, maybe just gas powered, are no refund, no exchange.

Not that it matters much. Even one is too many.

CT Me / Lawguy

lol cool, another taker in the argument

the simoniz electric pressure washers all carry the same warranty details. the documentation i have specifies the range of products it covers.

i did not start this petty argument. in fact you will find an entire thread on simoniz electric pressure washers that has been ongoing long before i ever joined this board. this thread has connected to it in regards to davidler's claim that a warranty that specifies repair of defective is illegal. statistics that this is hotly debated? are you for real? the debate on this board has been going on for months in regards to it, so when i say hotly debated, i mean on here.

so i decided to take this a step beyond... phone call back to canadian tire for gas pressure washer warranty. repair only, do not return to store. if the debate had been about gas pw's, davidler would be correct. unfortuantely the debate was about electric pw's