Guest-0381

Posted by an unregistered user
On December 12, 2010 at 1.40 pm my girlfriend and I went into Canadian Tire on 6670 Meadowvale Town Centre Circle, Mississauga, ON to install previously purchased winter tires. I have been quoted $199.99 ($50 per tire) to complete this work to which I objected questioning why it is this expensive. The response I have received was that this price was set for all Canadian Tire stores for low profile tires. My tire size is 205/55/16 and I said that my tires are not low profile. I was told that the Canadian Tire Corporation has recently changed its policy and now considers 55 to be a low profile tire as it is one of the most popular sizes and it allows Canadian Tire to make more money on it. I was a little surprised but the sales representative assured me that the Canadian Tire Corporation matches all the prices in every location and I would not be able to find a cheaper rate. I signed the quote and left my car.
My car is a company car, so I called my boss to tell about the charges. The response I got was “That is insane!”. I called several other Canadian Tire stores asking for the quote. The prices were ranging from $16.99 to $24.99 for a tire. I quickly returned to the store and asked to stop, however, the summer tires were already off the wheels. I started arguing about the prices and wanted to get my car back but the shop manager told me he will not let my car out of the shop unless I pay $199 + taxes. One of the store representatives made calls to several Canadian Tire Stores in the area but didn’t get a quote over $24.99. After that the shop manager told me that every Canadian Tire store sets its own prices. The sales representative refused that he ever said about matching prices for all the stores even though my girlfriend and I both heard it. I had nothing to do but to pay in order to get my car back.
I told the shop manager that I am going to call the corporate office and the branch manager but he replied that these calls will be unnecessary.
I am seeking reimbursement in the amount of $113.03 in order to regain my trust and ever for me and my family to do business again with any Canadian Tire.
I hope that the Canadian Tire Corporation closely review my case and reimburse the above mentioned amount.

Last edited by a moderator:

CT_MANAGER

Hello, That definitely does not sound right to charge that type of coin just to change a tire. Normally you just pay for the balance of the tire (install is included) and in the 4 stores I have been in, they ranged from $15 - $20. I've never heard of any store charging more than $25.

It is true they labor can be different between stores but a price that is more than twice the amount than most others should definately be looked into. I would suggest that you call a number of CT stores in your area and get quoted costs for changing a tire (balanced and put onto car) and once that is in hand, contact the CT customer relations in your area telling them the various quotes and demand some type of refund (likely a labor credit back would be issued).

DavidLeR

I have been quoted ... $50 per tire ... the sales representative assured me that the Canadian Tire Corporation matches all the prices in every location and I would not be able to find a cheaper rate. I signed the quote and left my car .... I called several other Canadian Tire stores ... The prices were ranging from $16.99 to $24.99 for a tire ... the shop manager told me he will not let my car out of the shop unless I pay $199 + taxes .... I had nothing to do but to pay in order to get my car back.

Sorry to hear that you have to pay CT a ransom to get your car back.

If the store and/or head office do not help you get the refund you deserved, I recommend that you contact the Ministry of Consumer Services to file a complaint:

Filing a Complaint - Consumer Complaints, Consumer Rights

They made a misrepresentation when they said other CTC stores would not be cheaper, and that they would match the price. Otherwise, you would not have signed.

"Under the Consumer Protection Act, 2002, you have the right to cancel an agreement and have your money returned to you if ... The vendor has made a false, misleading or deceptive representation about the goods or services you agreed to buy or lease. "

Hopefully a well-worded letter will knock some sense into them.

And, hopefully you won't make the mistake of putting your vehicle into the clutches of these rip-off artists again.

Good Luck!