1wildhorse

its nonsensical to think that you can have a 'buyer beware' policy on new items,and actually get away with it.or at least thats the impression im getting from you.

1wildhorse

ooh did i just see a tumbleweed blow by?actually on a more serious note,i honestly think that the crappy owners/managers/employees actually believe the nonsense they keep spouting time and time again,and i do admire their integrity in trying to defend the company they work for.its a shame its all a crock.....

CTH8R

If there is a real person named Trevor Green who works at the Cobourg, Ontario store, then this could get very interesting.

For one thing, I've heard that all Canadian Tire employees sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement, whereby they can be fired for posting information about the company on a public web site (which Trevor did), or for portraying themselves as a representative (which Trevor did). That's why almost all the Crappy employees use screen names like "Angry CT Guy" or "Moaner1".

Another interesting thing, is the various claims that are being made, about length of return policies.

But the most interesting of all, is the claim that the dreaded "Repair Only" policy at the Cobourg store is "only on refurbished products and generators", and therefore does not apply to ANY OTHER products, including gasoline-powered outdoor equipment, or motorized equipment, such as vacuum cleaners, compressors, etc.

If this is true, then the Cobourg store is truly a shoppers' paradise, compared to those other stores that strictly enforce the Repair Only Warranty, to the detriment of their customers.

But if it is NOT true, the Trevor Green needs to be called out for his attempts to deceive customers, and to make is sound like the Cobourg Crappy Tires sucks quite a bit less than the other Crappy Tires.

(Even though it still sucks because it has a Repair Only Policy on at generators.)

It will be interesting if someone can call or drop by to verify, and maybe meet this Trevor Green in person ...

CT Challenger

He seems to be real enough:

- On Facebook.
- Says he's from Cobourg.
- Says he now lives in Peterborough, Ontario.
- Says he works seasonally at the Garden Center at a Canadian Tire in Cobourg.
- Probably doesn't know anything that happens inside the store - like policies, etc.

Last edited:

CTH8R

I see that young Trevor G. has the same hostility towards the customers who pay his salary, that many Crappy People have already shamelessly announced.

Trevor has offered up the usual "blame the victim" reasoning for the dreaded "Repair Only Warranty", that we've all heard before.

He claims that the Repair Only Warranty is going to somehow protect against "renters", who will use products for a while, then try to return them when they are done. Yet the Repair Only Warranty clearly DOES NOT APPLY to the case of a working product! It is only used if the product is DEFECTIVE!

Utter nonsense!

Regarding true 'renters', who are allegedly lying when they say they are dissatisfied, how come every other major Canadian retailer is able to offer some kind of "Satisfaction" guarantee, yet avoid being non-stop victims of fraud??

Is Crappy Tire somehow a target, and the 'renters' simply steer clear of every other retailer?

Or are the staff at Crappy Tire (like Trevor?) simply incompetent at detecting genuine fraud, so the store decided to put in a draconian policy, rather than train people like Trevor to reach the industry standard level?

Clearly, these are just excuses to try to make their unique "repair only warranty" sound justified.

CTH8R

This is interesting, too:

we have had to defect other products to replace patio furniture that is missing a piece, or a lawn mower that someone has used but returned after the 7 days

I gather from Trevor's statement that the verb "to defect" means to falsely claim that a product is defective, when in fact it is not.

Presumably the store can get a refund from the manufacturer when a product is genuinely defective, but will get nothing from the manufacturer if they give a refund to a customer who is merely dissatisfied.

Seems to me that young Trevor is admitting to deliberately defrauding the manufacturer, in order to save his employer from a financial loss!

Good job at warranty fraud, there, Trevor!

You bosses must be so proud!

And yet you DARE to blame your store's crappy, money-grabbing policies on dishonest customers!

Outrageous!!

CT Challenger

Because of some awful customers still thinking they are above our policy ... we have had to defect other products to replace patio furniture that is missing a piece

Hold on. What?

So, your crappy store sold someone patio furniture that was genuinely defective - it was missing a piece (as you say).

Then, the customer comes back, wants a replacement piece. Sounds reasonable - and they've already made an extra round-trip, due to the crappy product you sold them.

(And I guess you could be real jerks about it, make them bring the ENTIRE SET back to the store, return it as defective, then make them drag a whole new set home and start the assembly process all over again ...)

That's when you, I guess trying to give some semblance of Customer Service, find a 2nd set, pull the missing piece from that set, and give the piece to the customer.

That actually sounds like a little bit of genuine "service".

(But wouldn't it be worth while to figure out why the piece went missing in the first place? Just an idea ....)

And yet, in your mind, Trevor G. this is a clear example of "awful customers still thinking they are above our policy"?

Seriously?

You are going to use this as yet another example to 'blame the victim'?

I hope your career as a grinder in Port Hope really takes off, young man, because you have no future whatsoever in Customer Service!

1wildhorse

as you know from my other posting,my court case is revolving around the shameful policy regarding a GENERATOR,which even though it was returned on no less than three occasions for repair,still continued not to work.and the fact that not only did ct refuse to either refund or exchange,which i am entirely within my rights to do so for a faulty product,but they also refused to even repair the unit,even though it was well within the warranty period.challenger i hope you agreed with my comments that i posted in response to mr trevor green......anyway im leaving you with a quote

He claims that the Repair Only Warranty is going to somehow protect against "renters", who will use products for a while, then try to return them when they are done. Yet the Repair Only Warranty clearly DOES NOT APPLY to the case of a working product! It is only used if the product is DEFECTIVE!

AMEN!!!!!!

1wildhorse

i mean how can they explain that i live about a 5 hour drive from the store,and so to buy a generator,and then return it 'when the power goes back on',would mean 2 drives of 10 hours each,gas cost,wear and tear on the truck(which incidentally i would never even consider letting their mechanics within 100 miles of),food,accomodation etc.to try to get a refund cos i dont need it any more.........
that makes real sense NOT

1wildhorse

as ive said before,its a real shame that ive been totally put off buying ANYTHING from ct.they used to be so good.they accepted that they sold crappy products,but there was never a problem getting a refund or exchange when something didnt work.i notice that this site and most of the postings have only really started around 2010,which i gather is approximately when the policy makers in their misguided wisdom decided to fuck their loyal customers off.

CTH8R

1wildhorse:

You've got more credibility on this topic than anyone else we've heard from, having already won a battle with CT over their hideous Repair Only Warranty.

Next time, hopefully you go up against a more worthy adversary, than some college kid who works part-time in the parking lot of a suburban Crappy Tire!

1wildhorse

1wildhorse:

You've got more credibility on this topic than anyone else we've heard from, having already won a battle with CT over their hideous Repair Only Warranty.

Next time, hopefully you go up against a more worthy adversary, than some college kid who works part-time in the parking lot of a suburban Crappy Tire!
thankyou for your kind words.yes the fact that mr green didnt even touch on the part of the sale of goods act that actually refers to products having to actually work made me laugh,and as youve probably read,i wasted no time.....its a shame we havent heard from him since,i would have liked to carry it on!!!

1wildhorse

o and some advice for mr green,when you choose to play chess against a grand master,make sure you know which way the horsey moves

CTH8R

The Canadian Tire store I work at has a 7 day return policy on all seasonal products, more so patio furniture, and lawn mowers etc. ... Repair only policies for us are only on refurbished products and generators ...

Seems young Trevor hasn't even bothered to visit the Crappy Tire web site.

Maybe he worked at some kind of Shopper's Paradise in Cobourg, but tomorrow morning that store could decide to start sticking' it to customers, and enforce the Repair Only Warranty that's in place on products such as these:

Yardworks Lawn Mower, 24V, 14-in | Canadian Tire, "2 year repair-only warranty; 1 year repair-only warranty on battery"

Troy-Bilt Push Lawn Mower, 160 CC | Canadian Tire "4 year repair only warranty"

Yardworks 16.5 HP / 42-in Transmatic Lawn Tractor | Canadian Tire "4 year repair only warranty"

You get the idea.

Well, maybe Trev won't, but the rest of Canada will, hopefully.

And that store in Cobourgh? They might already be enforcing the Repair Only Warranty on all the above products, and more.

'Cause Trevor don't seem to be quite so well-versed, you know?

1wildhorse

yes.repair only warranty is not only immoral,it quite clearly goes against the sale of goods act,so could probably be construed as far as to say its actually ILLEGAL!

CTH8R

Oh-oh!

You must KNOW how upset the Crappy People get, when someone says "ILLEGAL!"

(But, hey: "against the law, is illegal".)