1wildhorse

o and if i havent been added to the list of people who will NEVER shop in one of their stores ever again,then please add me.i actually spent $50 for a new oil filter and oil to do a change on my truck through a local business,rather than get the products from their stores,even though it would have been $20 cheaper.i dont care,is the principle of it!

1wildhorse

something i ascertained form my interview with the police officer was that a policy CANNOT trump the LAW.so do the same as i have guys.find a cop that is understanding and willing to listen to our complaints,and lets get these idiots in more than one province.

1wildhorse

like imagine if we are in the right.that by the fact of being an illegal policy.that by refusing refunds/exchanges they have committed FRAUD...how many examples have you guys recorded of this practice happening on a DAILY BASIS?from the simoniz scandel to the numerous of preassembled bikes that have disintegrated in a variety of forms like wheel fell off,handlebars came apart in my hand type of thing.lug nuts not properly put into wheel changes.these people have played with our very LIVES people,and im 100% serious here.the very dishumanity exhibited by the managers/sales staff/executives of this store(to which i have first hand knowledge)is (im not sure theres a word here that adequately explains what im thinking,deplorable would be mild compared....)BAD!
if guys are on the same wavelength,if you understand what i am saying and agree with it,then please go to the police and register a complaint.they are both morally and legally obliged to investigate each and every complaint by its merits,but also to follow up on these complaints in the matter that criminal law may apply.i have already registered mine.please let us sink buddys boat off st moritz,and i hope the supermodels survive.......

1wildhorse

yes.something not quite so funny.i have already emailed my member of parliament about this.again if you agree with me,please consider sending the same(or abridged) version of my words to your appropriate MP.its easy to contact them!!

as one of your constituents i am alarmed here.let me explain.
i have an ongoing dispute between myself and one of canada's largest retailers.
lately i have been questioning the legitimacy of one of their policies,as to whether or not it may be considered fraudulent/deceptive in manner,and with this in mind i attempted to contact the appropriate governing body to get some answers to my questions.
firstly i contacted the better business bureau,who informed me that they are just a mediating body,and have absolutely no way of helping me with my rights,although they gave me contact information for 2 other branches,consumer protection BC and the canadian anti-fraud centre(an RCMP division i am told).
i called consumer protection BC,who are a regulating body,to be told that they are not only unfamiliar with the law regarding the sale of goods act BC,but that they do not in any way regulate RETAIL sales.when i asked them who the appropriate body were to help with my dispute,i was informed that such a body does NOT EXIST.she then informed me that over half of all calls received by consumer protection are of this very nature.
which begs the question.
in a country where there are so many laws and regulatory bodies overseeing almost all aspects of our daily lives,that there is not one single department responsible for overseeing legislation i the retail sector?(which to my mind means that major companies are able to choose how they run things IRRESPECTIVE of the law)
as it stands i have 3 choices.i either walk away,i hire a lawyer(who requires $2000 before even looking at my case),or i bring the matter to the courts,and in the event i would lose the dispute,would probably be liable for corporate lawyer expenses.

in this day and age i am quite frankly appaled(and somewhat disturbed) that such a body does not exist within canada.

i understand that you are a busy man,but i hope you will take time to address my very real concerns.

yours sincerely

1wildhorse

ok after calling the canadian anti-fraud centre on 1-888-495-8501 and registering my complaint,i was told that there is indeed a regulatory body set up in canada to deal with such investigations,and that the RCMP will be passing details on to them.
they are known as INDUSTRY CANADA COMPETITION BUREAU,and can be reached on 1-800-348-5358.
basically i have to file an official complaint to the local RCMP,and get a case number.the bureau is obliged to investigate the complaint.
finally after a lot of bashing my head against a brick wall i feel i may be getting somewhere here.
further information to follow as and when it becomes available.

1wildhorse

nope.another blind alley.i just looked at their website.
Your complaint might be outside the Bureau’s jurisdiction. Have a look at various issues the Bureau does not deal with:

Bad service dealings with a person or business
Billing problems
Collection Agency harassment/problems
Contractual disputes
Information enquiry about a person and/or businesses standing or legitimacy
Refund issues
Store return and/or refund policy
Unethical behavior issues

1wildhorse

ok lets get even more serious(and a little wierd here).i have just looked up the turnover of the canadian retail industry.on a MONTH to MONTH basis i have the figures for january,february and march.Retail sales, by industry (monthly) (Seasonally adjusted)
january had turnover of $38,942 MILLION,february $39,488 MILLION and march $39,519 MILLION.

the figures here are incredible.

and yet there is no body(apparently) that oversees the compliance of practice within the LAW?

gobsmacked.

1wildhorse

im telling you guys in the UK it would have taken all of 2 minutes to have been directed to the appropriate body that would be assigned to directly oversee business practice,yet here in canada,noone seems to have a clue who actually deals with these things?like i say i have written to the MP,have registered a complaint,both with the anti-fraud bureau and the local RCMP,and hopefully we can eventually find some answers out.i set out the other day that it is my intent to expose the possible illegalities of canadian tires shocking policies,and to act on such findings,and even though nobody seems to know who the hell is responsible for these,i will peel back the layers of the onion one by one until there is nowhere left to hide.this is my intention,i believe that i have been defrauded by this company,and am perfectly happy to pursue these matters until i get some answers to WHATEVER LEVEL AND DEGREE such an undertaking requires of me.(hell im bored!)and by the way its not just canadian tire im sure,but i am unaware to date of other companies that have such shocking(and possibly unlawful) policies.what are they gonna do?hang me?FUCK YOU.

CTH8R

In Ontario, it is the Ministry of Consumer Services. They can be reached at 416-326-8800 or 1-800-889-9768.

There is an early report on this thread, of someone at the Ministry giving an explanation of how to apply the Consumer Protection Act to defective products. It hinged on an Unfair practice of representing the product as having benefits and features it does not have.

That allows the consumer to reject the goods, or some similar wording.

The Sale of Goods Act is similar to the BC version I've seen here, but I don't think the Ontario wording is as clear.

Try this link: Consumer Protection BC

CTH8R

The Competition Bureau looks as deceptive advertising, including Bait & Switch. I don't see why they wouldn't also address other retail sales issues, like failure to provide a required refund, or deceptions like claiming no laws require refunds.

1wildhorse

yes unfortunately the competition bureau categorically states on its webpage

Your complaint might be outside the Bureau’s jurisdiction. Have a look at various issues the Bureau does not deal with
and two of the issues listed are
Refund issues
Store return and/or refund policy

and as i said earlier,consumer protection BC doesnt actually have any kind of jurisdiction in the area of retail,including sale of goods act,even though over half of all enquiries actually fall under that bracket according to the phone conversation i had today.
so who the hell is responsible?
and i appreciate your help in trying to overturn these rocks,cos somewhere there has to be something under one of them.OR IS THERE?
no way should we have to rely on a possible deceptive advertising as recourse.their very policies are in direct contravention of the sale of goods act,and indeed if the sale of goods act can be taken as LAW,on their own code of conduct webpage.this is not deceptive advertising,the refusal of canadian tire service staff to refund your money when is comes to DEFECTIVE goods is tantamount to FRAUD.and yet again who is responsible for policing this multi billion dollar PER MONTH industry?

1wildhorse

so hang on.let me get this right.these retailers can basically say what they like.the LAW is clear.the only protection we have right now is to attempt to argue that such dishonest practices fall under a bracket in which these government appointed agencies can actually deal with i.e. that even though you have been denied your right to a refund because the heap of shit didnt work,that you have to claim FALSE ADVERTISING? i mean cmon.we are talking about a MULTI BILLION DOLLAR A MONTH FUKKIN INDUSTRY here.WHERE IS YOUR WATCHDOG?

1wildhorse

ive been looking at the fraud laws.
Canadian Criminal Laws Dealing With Fraud in Canada
under criminal code offences it says that the laws are built on the simple notion that exploititive dishonesty should be forbidden.starting from the premise that hinesty and dishonesty are such basic notions that everybody understands them,criminal law should clearly prohibit acts commonly considered dishonest to underline this understanding.

one of the things here is about unfair NONDISCLOSURE.the fact that often we are not actually told that a) a repair only warranty exists or
b) that the repair only warranty actually is in violation of the sale of goods act with regard to faulty goods,and that our rights are diminished to our financial detriment arising from said implementation.

the article actually says this.
b) conduct by the accused creating a false impression in the victim's mind

the false impression is that we cannot ask for a refund,we HAVE to get it repaired,which is not at all what the SOGA says.
so YES I THINK WE HAVE FRAUD HERE!

1wildhorse

something else i should point out is that there is legislation in place in a number of provinces which make any attempt to diminish or cancel the terms of the sale of goods act with regard to consumer purchases will be VOID,in other words they cant get away from the terms of SOGA.thankfully BC is one of the provinces that adheres to this legislation.