Daisy2112

Posted by an unregistered user
Three weeks ago I had my oil changed at CT here in my home town.Last week I was driving along and my car just stalled.I tried boosting it to no avail.I had it towed to the nearest service station(Petro Canada) to determine what was wrong.To my shock and horror the mechanic told me my engine block is ceased to the point he has never seen before due to lack of lubrication.When asked if he has ever heard of a garage forgeting to actually put oil in the car his response."It happens alot more than you would think".
My car is a 99 tercel with 130k kilometres on it.Never leaked oil,never burned oil,and this CT has done all the sevice on this vehicle.Now I have no car!When asked about this at the store the mgr literrally shrugged his shoulders and asked,and I quote.."What do you want US to do about it?"
My question to the forum is has this happened to anyone else on the forum and what was the eventual outcome?Oh and one other thing the check engine light never came on nor did the oil light.Also there was no pinging smoking or noise of any kind before this happened.

Angry CT Guy

Three weeks ago I had my oil changed at CT here in my home town.Last week I was driving along and my car just stalled.I tried boosting it to no avail.I had it towed to the nearest service station(Petro Canada) to determine what was wrong.To my shock and horror the mechanic told me my engine block is ceased to the point he has never seen before due to lack of lubrication.When asked if he has ever heard of a garage forgeting to actually put oil in the car his response."It happens alot more than you would think".
My car is a 99 tercel with 130k kilometres on it.Never leaked oil,never burned oil,and this CT has done all the sevice on this vehicle.Now I have no car!When asked about this at the store the mgr literrally shrugged his shoulders and asked,and I quote.."What do you want US to do about it?"
My question to the forum is has this happened to anyone else on the forum and what was the eventual outcome?Oh and one other thing the check engine light never came on nor did the oil light.Also there was no pinging smoking or noise of any kind before this happened.

You definitely have a case against that store. Get a written explanation from the petro-can station (lack of oil), call CT customer relations and they will follow up with the store. I'm thinking they will be getting you a new engine.

Daisy2112

Thanks,I ceartinly hope so.Its not that Im being an idiot demanding this and that,yelling and screaming...in fact I really hav'nt had alot of problems generally with CT,but I do belisve they dropped the ball on this one.I just would like them to take the high road on this and do the right thig!

Angry CT Guy

Thanks,I ceartinly hope so.Its not that Im being an idiot demanding this and that,yelling and screaming...in fact I really hav'nt had alot of problems generally with CT,but I do belisve they dropped the ball on this one.I just would like them to take the high road on this and do the right thig!

Anything can happen, that's why they have insurance. No one is perfect, but when they make a mistake, they need to pay for the repairs.

Guest-0276

Where's your proof that Canadian Tire is responsible for wrecking your 10 year old car? You have no case. Don't pass go. Don't collect your $200. His word against yours. You're one of those union cry babies that whine and blame someone else for your stupidity and lack of car maintenance. Go ahead and take it to court. You'll be paying for CT's court costs and time when you lose.

Daisy2112

Where's your proof that Canadian Tire is responsible for wrecking your 10 year old car? You have no case. Don't pass go. Don't collect your $200. His word against yours. You're one of those union cry babies that whine and blame someone else for your stupidity and lack of car maintenance. Go ahead and take it to court. You'll be paying for CT's court costs and time when you lose.

Hey Ahole where were raised or better yet lack theeof.WTF do you know and where do you get off judging a case before you know the facts.I know idiots like you,stupidity?lack of car mtce?F*&k you're ignorant!

Guest-0276

Whatever you whiney lil bitch. Go ahead and sue. Go take it to CBC like that old man did. Nothing will ever happen because you're lying. If the car didn't have oil it would've never made it out of the garage period. You can't prove that we did anything wrong.

Daisy2112

Whatever you whiney lil bitch. Go ahead and sue. Go take it to CBC like that old man did. Nothing will ever happen because you're lying. If the car didn't have oil it would've never made it out of the garage period. You can't prove that we did anything wrong.

WE??? who the fuck are WE?Oh I get it you're the rat bastard who
A)Doesnt know shit about cars,(Would'nt make it out of the garage...LOL)
B)Works for Canadian Tire
C)Is'nt mature enough to post a helpful reply.

Guest-0276

I know more than you do about cars. Mines in the parking lot waiting for me after work. Where's yours LOL? Do you have to take the bus now LOL. So you think Canadian Tire is at fault? What are you going to do about it? Go call head office, we really shake in our boots. There's nothing, nada, ziltch that you can do or prove that we damaged your car

Maybe you should've had a 50 point inspection with the oil change LOL.

Daisy2112

I know more than you do about cars. Mines in the parking lot waiting for me after work. Where's yours LOL? Do you have to take the bus now LOL. So you think Canadian Tire is at fault? What are you going to do about it? Go call head office, we really shake in our boots. There's nothing, nada, ziltch that you can do or prove that we damaged your car

Maybe you should've had a 50 point inspection with the oil change LOL.

Maybe you should have read my original post.Did I blame Canadian Tire?...NO,I asked the board if they have had any expierince on this matter and if so what was the outcome.In fact they have already provided me with a loaner car free of charge and have paid Petro Canada for their towing and inspection charge.So next time you do not understand how to interpert what someone has written on the board please ask someone else to read it for you,perhaps then you'll get it right!

DavidLeR

Three weeks ago I had my oil changed at CT ... Last week I was driving along and my car just stalled ... the mechanic told me my engine block is [seized] ... due to lack of lubrication. ... this CT has done all the sevice on this vehicle.

I have not had your exact situation but something similar with a mechanic.

Are you a member of CAA? They have a “technical questions” line where you speak to someone about repair problems, and get some informed and independent advice.

In my case, the rear bearings were incorrectly installed, and quickly burned out. The mechanical claimed that it was my fault because if something went wrong, I should have noticed. Or, that I must have done something afterwards that caused the problem.

The advisor at CAA, as I recall, said that it was the mechanic’s responsibility to perform the work correctly, and it was not my responsibility to make sure they’d done the job right, and there was no proof that I had somehow damaged the bearings. I just drove it normally. And, had there been any issues with the car that would have affected its use, it was up to the mechanic to tell me.

But, get some good advice for yourself - do not go just by what I say. I'm just an anonymous person on the internet.

I wonder if you maybe should get another mechanic to verify that there wasn't a problem after CT serviced the car, such as a hole in the oil pan.

Something to think about: if CT offers to cover the labour if you pay for the parts, you might not want to go along with that. Remember, they weren’t able to change the oil, let alone replace an entire engine.

I've sure some CT stores have good mechanics, but there are so many stories like this one, that in my opinion nobody should ever trust CT with their vehicle.

-----

Also, please ignore the strange behaviour of the Unregistered "LOL" poster. I suspect they are just trying to interfere with anyone who tries to help (ex) CT customers.

P.S.: It's "seized".

Good luck!

Daisy2112

I have not had your exact situation but something similar with a mechanic.

Are you a member of CAA? They have a “technical questions” line where you speak to someone about repair problems, and get some informed and independent advice.

In my case, the rear bearings were incorrectly installed, and quickly burned out. The mechanical claimed that it was my fault because if something went wrong, I should have noticed. Or, that I must have done something afterwards that caused the problem.

The advisor at CAA, as I recall, said that it was the mechanic’s responsibility to perform the work correctly, and it was not my responsibility to make sure they’d done the job right, and there was no proof that I had somehow damaged the bearings. I just drove it normally. And, had there been any issues with the car that would have affected its use, it was up to the mechanic to tell me.

But, get some good advice for yourself - do not go just by what I say. I'm just an anonymous person on the internet.

I wonder if you maybe should get another mechanic to verify that there wasn't a problem after CT serviced the car, such as a hole in the oil pan.

Something to think about: if CT offers to cover the labour if you pay for the parts, you might not want to go along with that. Remember, they weren’t able to change the oil, let alone replace an entire engine.

I've sure some CT stores have good mechanics, but there are so many stories like this one, that in my opinion nobody should ever trust CT with their vehicle.

-----

Also, please ignore the strange behaviour of the Unregistered "LOL" poster. I suspect they are just trying to interfere with anyone who tries to help (ex) CT customers.

P.S.: It's "seized".

Good luck!

Thank You! At least there are some people who wish to help and thanks for the info,I will follow up on that.And that is a very valid point..."it's not up to the customer to make sure the mechanic has done the job properly "Everyone can make mistakes or get distracted hell we've all been guilty of that in our jobs at one point or another.
P.SThanks for the spelling correction,really I'm not trying to be an idiot, it is appreciated

Guest-0276

Customer service policy

...................../´¯-./)
..................../¯..../
.................../.... /
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Guest-0437

Thank You! At least there are some people who wish to help and thanks for the info,I will follow up on that.And that is a very valid point..."it's not up to the customer to make sure the mechanic has done the job properly "Everyone can make mistakes or get distracted hell we've all been guilty of that in our jobs at one point or another.
P.SThanks for the spelling correction,really I'm not trying to be an idiot, it is appreciated

You know, I originally thought that this was a legitimate post, but now I'm going to call bullshit on the entire thread. It's just too obvious that the unregistered poster is beyond normal for any retailer, and the response time between posts is just to close to make me think they are independent.
It never fails to amaze me how much bull this DavidLer spews, but he is either the adminstrator looking to profit off of this site, or he is a former disgruntled employee.
Something just doesn't add up.

CT Challenger

You know, I originally thought that this was a legitimate post, but now I'm going to call bullshit on the entire thread. It's just too obvious that the unregistered poster is beyond normal for any retailer, and the response time between posts is just to close to make me think they are independent.
It never fails to amaze me how much bull this DavidLer spews, but he is either the adminstrator looking to profit off of this site, or he is a former disgruntled employee.

call bs on whatever you want

and calling bs only works if there can be proof one way or another - rules of this site dont allow that

the real problem is just don't like anybody who tells the truth about cts bad practices

op has a typical ct horror story - no reason not to believe it

postings are at least 30 minutes apart - they get closer together as a conversation forms - nothing suspicous to a rational person

let along 'obvious'

you still seem to be in the delusional state where everyboyd you dont like morphs into davidler - its never too late to seek help

everything davidler wrote here sounds legit

good for him for taking his time to help someone out

the only person we know is spewing bull here is you.

and you cant add

Daisy2112

I don't understand what you're talking about at all but it really doesnt matter because CT( here in Chateauguay Quebec FYI) has taken the high road on this one and has actually replaced my engine free of charge.I'm actually stunned and amazed.This could have gone the other way and I would have to battle it out.Turns out it's not the first time this particular employee has screwed up before,it's unfortunate but he no longer works there.
This is defintely a case where the retailer acknowledged and more importantly, took responsibility for what happed and made it right.
Big props to Canadian Tire for standing behind their responsibilities!

DavidLeR

Congratulations!

It sounds like you didn't need my help after all, which is a relief.

Ideally, they would pay to have the work done by a mechanic of your choosing, and not by one of their own people.

Now that you've seen the kind of work they do, the reaction of the store manager, and the reaction of CT Rep's who post on this site, let me ask you:

Where will you take your car for its next oil change?