garagevictim

Anyone who had same experience, please come forward. We need to stand together and fight against the monster.

Here is what happened. I recently CT Pit Stop to get a quick oil/filter change. A young mechanic checked my transmission oil and said it needed to be flushed. I declined and I just had oil, oil filter and air filter change.

About 5 minutes after leaving the Pit Stop, I could tell my automatic transmission wasn't working properly. Later the car starts dragging and next thing I knew, white smoke was billowing from the exhaust pipe.

I stopped the car and checked under the hood with guidance assistance on the phone. It turns out the engine oil was way too high, and the transmission oil dip stick was not even registering a drop and it had a burnt smell. We went back to that garage total 3 times and they just tired to patch up the damage and deny their wrong doing.

I have been told and strongly believe they deliberately drain my transmission oil for up marketing practice to especially single, innocent, vulnerable woman. I am gathering all the proves and facts. At the same time I need your help and support. Anyone who had similar experience, please contact with me. Let us talk and have our power together. Thank you!

DavidLeR

About 5 minutes after leaving the Pit Stop, I could tell my automatic transmission wasn't working properly. Later the car starts dragging and next thing I knew, white smoke was billowing from the exhaust pipe ... It turns out the engine oil was way too high, and the transmission oil dip stick was not even registering a drop and it had a burnt smell. We went back to that garage total 3 times and they just tired to patch up the damage and deny their wrong doing.

You story is all too typical of the auto service that people can expect to receive at Canadian Tire.

We try to get the word out, but many innocent people like yourself are fooled into thinking CT is a safe place to take your car. As you've learned too late, it's a very poor choice.

Here are some similar stories. The answers people gave them, may be of assistance you to:

"https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/c...s-advantage-18-yr-old-university-student.html"

"https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/general-canadian-tire-complaints-chat/752-ceased-engine.html"

There are lots more stories out there, including my own.

Try CAA and the APA.

Also, be prepared for CT store representatives to start posting here, saying you are a liar, you deserved it, they are glad your car is damaged, etc. That's just how they choose to run their business.

Let us know how it goes, and good luck!

CT Me / Lawguy

Posted by an unregistered user
You bet i'll chime in with a rebuttal

Everything and anythign related to transmission will NOT, absolutely positively NOT cause white smoke to come out of the exhaust pipe!

so let's have DavidLER, law expert turning auto expert have some sort of diagnostic

Guest-0276

Anyone who had same experience, please come forward. We need to stand together and fight against the monster.

Here is what happened. I recently CT Pit Stop to get a quick oil/filter change. A young mechanic checked my transmission oil and said it needed to be flushed. I declined and I just had oil, oil filter and air filter change.

About 5 minutes after leaving the Pit Stop, I could tell my automatic transmission wasn't working properly. Later the car starts dragging and next thing I knew, white smoke was billowing from the exhaust pipe.

I stopped the car and checked under the hood with guidance assistance on the phone. It turns out the engine oil was way too high, and the transmission oil dip stick was not even registering a drop and it had a burnt smell. We went back to that garage total 3 times and they just tired to patch up the damage and deny their wrong doing.

I have been told and strongly believe they deliberately drain my transmission oil for up marketing practice to especially single, innocent, vulnerable woman. I am gathering all the proves and facts. At the same time I need your help and support. Anyone who had similar experience, please contact with me. Let us talk and have our power together. Thank you!

I'm sorry to hear that but you have no proof that your car troubles were the result of the canadian tire mechanic. Canadian Tire takes pride in our mechanics as each person working on cars is certified to do so.

B

bokchoi

You bet i'll chime in with a rebuttal

Everything and anythign related to transmission will NOT, absolutely positively NOT cause white smoke to come out of the exhaust pipe!

so let's have DavidLER, law expert turning auto expert have some sort of diagnostic

I didn't say the smoke was due to the transmission oil. The smoke was because the mechanic overfilled the engine oil -- and they admitted that fault, because it was too obvious to ignore. They also admitted the transmission oil was low (they claim 1 litre down, but we saw them pour two brand new 985 ml bottles down there so it was likely more than 1.7 L down -- why did they have to lie about that?!). But they claim no knowledge of how the transmission oil could have been lowered.

I told them I suspected the same mechanic accidentally drained the oil thinking i was going to do the flush and simply forgot to replace what he'd drained, but they denied that possibility despite acknowledging the mechanic did make a mistake with the engine oil overfill.

Either way, where the low transmission oil was concerned, they (1) claimed that 1 L down was nothing, would not have damaged the transmission line at all, and (2) as mentioned above, they just topped up the oil without checking for burns or leaks.

I reckon they didn't want to take the time & expense to check out the transmission line & burn smell properly because (1) it's time they're not earning money, and (2) if they did find a fault, it's an expensive fix to claim responsibility for.

The reason we went back 2 more times for follow up fixes was because it turns out the O-ring was burned out from the heat, so transmission oil had started to leak at the bottom. They finally had to change the gasket too. These components were all fine before the car went in for the oil change. All the trouble started after the car came out of the pit stop -- the common denominator here is CT. But they say the gasket & O-ring is a result of rust damage. They refuse to go down the "burnt transmission line" route.

But I have checked with online car forums, and the replies have all come back that 1 L down would definitely have damaged the transmission and decreased the transmission life by a lot. It will be damage that I have to pay for down the line, and all agree CT should be responsible to replace the damaged tarnsmission. This is where the stalemate is.

One more thing -- it's not like I was cheap and didn't want to do a transmission flush. I didn't have the 1 hour time to do it and said I'd do it another time. The whole point of using the Pit Stop was to get in and out in 20 minutes, because I was very busy that whole week because I have work to do. Turns out I lost even more time having to handle the car problems and keep going back.

To the CT mechanics who go on this forum to dismiss folks' concerns and spew negative remarks, all I can say is "Shame on You" for not even being able to be objective and provide constructive advice. Everyone makes mistakes, and in this case, the mechanic was definitely at fault (this was his 2nd write-up and three strikes he'll be out, according to the foreman).

So just because he has a certificate like you do obviously doesn't mean diddly squat! Certification does not always equal competence & honesty & integrity!!

Angry CT Guy

I didn't say the smoke was due to the transmission oil. The smoke was because the mechanic overfilled the engine oil -- and they admitted that fault, because it was too obvious to ignore. They also admitted the transmission oil was low (they claim 1 litre down, but we saw them pour two brand new 985 ml bottles down there so it was likely more than 1.7 L down -- why did they have to lie about that?!). But they claim no knowledge of how the transmission oil could have been lowered.

I told them I suspected the same mechanic accidentally drained the oil thinking i was going to do the flush and simply forgot to replace what he'd drained, but they denied that possibility despite acknowledging the mechanic did make a mistake with the engine oil overfill.

Either way, where the low transmission oil was concerned, they (1) claimed that 1 L down was nothing, would not have damaged the transmission line at all, and (2) as mentioned above, they just topped up the oil without checking for burns or leaks.

I reckon they didn't want to take the time & expense to check out the transmission line & burn smell properly because (1) it's time they're not earning money, and (2) if they did find a fault, it's an expensive fix to claim responsibility for.

The reason we went back 2 more times for follow up fixes was because it turns out the O-ring was burned out from the heat, so transmission oil had started to leak at the bottom. They finally had to change the gasket too. These components were all fine before the car went in for the oil change. All the trouble started after the car came out of the pit stop -- the common denominator here is CT. But they say the gasket & O-ring is a result of rust damage. They refuse to go down the "burnt transmission line" route.

But I have checked with online car forums, and the replies have all come back that 1 L down would definitely have damaged the transmission and decreased the transmission life by a lot. It will be damage that I have to pay for down the line, and all agree CT should be responsible to replace the damaged tarnsmission. This is where the stalemate is.

One more thing -- it's not like I was cheap and didn't want to do a transmission flush. I didn't have the 1 hour time to do it and said I'd do it another time. The whole point of using the Pit Stop was to get in and out in 20 minutes, because I was very busy that whole week because I have work to do. Turns out I lost even more time having to handle the car problems and keep going back.

To the CT mechanics who go on this forum to dismiss folks' concerns and spew negative remarks, all I can say is "Shame on You" for not even being able to be objective and provide constructive advice. Everyone makes mistakes, and in this case, the mechanic was definitely at fault (this was his 2nd write-up and three strikes he'll be out, according to the foreman).

So just because he has a certificate like you do obviously doesn't mean diddly squat! Certification does not always equal competence & honesty & integrity!!

Certification should equal competence but mistakes can happen and errors occur in any profession...I have a problem with not owning up to it.....that's where the honesty and integrity come in. It should be simple, we screwed up and owe you for what it takes to get it right. So simple, I'm not sure why it isn't automatic. It's got to be poor training.
Most automotive work is a grudge purchase, you know, I had my car yesterday, I have my car today, but I'm 500 to 600 bucks poorer. These types of stories definitely don't help the fear.
Great story.....I think they should make it right, bite the bullet and either fix the issues, or pay for another mechanic to do it.....they mucked up.

CT Challenger

its disgusting the way the stores damage people vehicles and then dont take responsibility for it, forcing the customers to sue.

this is a repeat of what they did to that man in BC.

https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/new-site/731-cbcs-go-public-reports-canadian-tire.html

if the mechanic worked on part of the car, and it wasn't in drivable condition immediately afterwards then it is clearly the mechanics fault

there may be a slim chance that some part would randomly fail just after you drive away, but a competent mechancic - ie one who doesnt work for ct - will hopefully be able to tell

despite the claims being made here, many of us have experienced similar incompetency with supposedly certified people damaging our vehicles

yet another sad story to add to the pile

you seem able to take care of youself but i still hope this advise helps

thanks for letting people know that ct still sucks

Angry CT Guy

its disgusting the way the stores damage people vehicles and then dont take responsibility for it, forcing the customers to sue.

this is a repeat of what they did to that man in BC.

https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/new-site/731-cbcs-go-public-reports-canadian-tire.html

if the mechanic worked on part of the car, and it wasn't in drivable condition immediately afterwards then it is clearly the mechanics fault

there may be a slim chance that some part would randomly fail just after you drive away, but a competent mechancic - ie one who doesnt work for ct - will hopefully be able to tell

despite the claims being made here, many of us have experienced similar incompetency with supposedly certified people damaging our vehicles

yet another sad story to add to the pile

you seem able to take care of youself but i still hope this advise helps

thanks for letting people know that ct still sucks

The four years of schooling and the apprenticeship hours are the same for any technician to become certified. It's no different at Canadian Tire or any other garage, moron. Try not to be so dumb.

Guest-0276

CT owners are people too. I'm sure if you're pleasant and admit your part in the car failure that the owner will be more than happy to fix it for you for a good price!

Guest-0367

CT owners are people too.

Well, technically, yes. But only barely, judging by the way they treat other people.

I'm sure if you're pleasant and admit your part in the car failure ....

Yes, pleasantly admit that your gravely erred by not asking enough people about their experiences with CT auto, and therefore not knowing what a horrendous reputation they have.

Admit that you further errred by entrusting a vehicle to the care of Crappy Tire.

Admit that, once their incompetent (yet "certified) 'technicians' (i.e., not a mechanic), declared that your vehicle was ready to be driven, you didn't immediately have your vehicle towed a compenent mechanic for a thorough damage report.

Admit that you were so careless as to actually attempt to drive a vehicle which had been worked on by thier 'certified technician'.

Admit that, as soon as problems were noticed, you didn't immediately pull over, shut off the vehicle, and have it towed to a competent mechanic.

Because that's about all you could have done.

Sounds like a clear case of 'blame the victim'.

... that the owner will be more than happy to fix it for you for a good price!

Yes, I'm sure you'll be only too happy to allow these morons another crack at your vehicle.

And based on the reports we've heard, the price will be very good .... assuming you are the one being paid.

Another sad tale of abuse by CT.

Guest-0502

Certification should equal competence but mistakes can happen and errors occur in any profession...I have a problem with not owning up to it.....that's where the honesty and integrity come in. It should be simple, we screwed up and owe you for what it takes to get it right. So simple, I'm not sure why it isn't automatic. It's got to be poor training.
Most automotive work is a grudge purchase, you know, I had my car yesterday, I have my car today, but I'm 500 to 600 bucks poorer. These types of stories definitely don't help the fear.
Great story.....I think they should make it right, bite the bullet and either fix the issues, or pay for another mechanic to do it.....they mucked up.

This is all your fault you have to relize that when you take your car to a big franchize company like canadain tire the techs dont go the extra mile to look into it your just a costumer they dont care if your tranny fluid is low if your not gonna pay and fix it its not there concern. go to a local shop localy owned your more than a customer because they cant afford to make a mistake or cut corners. pay the extra 50 bucks and get away from canadian tire and you wont be in this situation

Angry CT Guy

This is all your fault you have to relize that when you take your car to a big franchize company like canadain tire the techs dont go the extra mile to look into it your just a costumer they dont care if your tranny fluid is low if your not gonna pay and fix it its not there concern. go to a local shop localy owned your more than a customer because they cant afford to make a mistake or cut corners. pay the extra 50 bucks and get away from canadian tire and you wont be in this situation

???? Techs don't go the extra mile because it's a big franchise? How about Midas, Speedy Muffler, Ford? GM? Honda? Are they all cutting corners too? Pretty big franchises.

Guest-0477

???? Techs don't go the extra mile because it's a big franchise? How about Midas, Speedy Muffler, Ford? GM? Honda? Are they all cutting corners too? Pretty big franchises.

Hey, thanks for the suggestions!

Let's all take our vehicles to THOSE gusy, instead of to CT!

(Personally, I've had very good results with Midas. But a bad experience with Speedy, years ago.)