DavidLeR

It comes as a shock to say this, but we now know about another Canadian Tire policy that is even more despicable than the dreaded “Repair Only” policy.

(If you’ve been following this site, you may be aware that CT designates some products as having a “Repair Only Warranty”, and that these are non-returnable. Even if the product has a factory defect, the store policy is to refuse to give a refund, or even an exchange for a working one – the only remedy the policy provides is a repair of an item.)

I thought the Repair Only policy was pretty awful, especially since every other major retailer will provide a refund for a factory defect.

However, we are now learning about the many items CT sells that have the following warranty:
“This product has no warranty”.
What is the official Canadian Tire return policy for a product that has “no warranty”?
- No Refund.
- No Exchange.
- No Repair.
Oh, it doesn’t work? Too bad – you own it now. Get it fixed yourself.

Nice, huh? And I thought CT sucked before I even knew about this one.

You might think this only applies to a few items in the store. After all, there are standard items that are not returnable in most stores, like underwear and ammunition. This is very common, and these items are usually signs telling you this in the stores.

However, there is a very long list of items that CT sells that are “No Warranty” (i.e., no refund, exchange or repair).

You can find these easily by Googling:
"canadian tire" "this product has no warranty"
Be sure and include the double-quotes. If you only get 5 or 6 pages of results, go to the last page and click “repeat the search with the omitted results included”.

There are so many pages of products, I couldn’t easily count them all.

I will be posting a partial list of the Categories of products that have at least one “No Warranty” item. It's quite alarming. And that's not the list of actual products, just the categories.

Buyer Beware!

Shop anywhere except Crappy Tire!

CT Me / Lawguy

Posted by an unregistered user
Well i am going to eat some crow on this repair policy

i made a phone call yesterday to Home Depot in Saskatoon to inquire about two products. A club cadet 42" riding lawn tractor and a John Deere model. I spoke to the seasonal Manager and asked abut the warranty. One question was asked. I told her I was comparing retailers to decide which tractor to buy. The question posed was "If i buy this unit and it breaks down, what happens?" The club cadet unit gets brought to an authorized repair depot and serviced under warranty. transportation to the facility is at the customers cost. JohN Deere is also serviced at John Deere authorized depot, but they will pick it up and transport it within a certain distance. the manager even noted that the policy was fairly standard across major retailers.

IN all fairness since a CT rep yesterday admitted that she didn't know there was no warranty items, we should represent ourselves equally as humble when we are wrong.
It's a sad day today

Guest-0367

Replies to this CT Rep's transparently bogus and factually incorrect post should be directed to the "Repair Only" thread, located here:

https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/general-canadian-tire-complaints-chat/748-repair-only-warranty-no-refund-no-exchange.html"

Or maybe, to save time, directly to:

"https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/general-canadian-tire-complaints-chat/761-why-do-ct-defenders-post-so-many-lies-here.html".

DavidLeR

Regarding the many "No Warranty" products CT sells, much of that discussion took place on other threads.

So, here's a quick review:

A customer noticed that lots of things CT sells have the following warranty statement:

"This product has no warranty".

The customer was curious about the refund/exchange/repair policies on all these items, and posted some questions about it.

The CT Reps who post on this site reacted quite aggressively when they read those posts.

Were they perhaps aware that these statements were true, and attempted to hide it?

Or, did they genuinely have no clue about this policy of their own store?

Either way, it's a disgrace.

But it was made worse by their reactions:

oh and before I forget, what product has no warranty as you claim?

unless it's an as is on a clearance rack somewhere, everything has a warranty ... liar

Hate to call you on your lies, but can you name one of the "many" items that don't have any warranty at all? I just need one to further disprove your lies.

What item offer zero warranty? The only thing I can think of is a live plant...every thing else has a warranty.

There has never been a time where a customer has been stuck with a defective item with no resolution...that's what the CPA protects.

I just wish you could get your facts straight.

With pressure mounting over a few days of silence, eventually one of the CT Reps did offer a very touching and moving apology.

In recent news, one the Reps wrote the following:

... there's atleast two ct owners here, very versed in the laws and rules.

Were they "very versed" before the Rep's denounced the customer as a liar? Or after?

Regardless of when they knew about the "No Warranty" items, they should now be ready for a few questions I have for them.

Questions about their prior statements on the CPA, and what it might mean for a "No Warranty" product ....

CT Challenger

Regardless of when they knew about the "No Warranty" items, they should now be ready for a few questions I have for them.

Questions about their prior statements on the CPA, and what it might mean for a "No Warranty" product ....

i wouldnt bother asking the ct defenders any questions at all

all they will do is tell more lies - typical for them

it might be fun to see how they try to backtrack and deny earlier statements

but in the end it only matters what the evidence shows

so people will know how to pressure ct to follow the laws

and know not to let friends shop at ct

Angry CT Guy

i wouldnt bother asking the ct defenders any questions at all

all they will do is tell more lies - typical for them

it might be fun to see how they try to backtrack and deny earlier statements

but in the end it only matters what the evidence shows

so people will know how to pressure ct to follow the laws

and know not to let friends shop at ct

Silly rabbit, trix are for kids. Your opinion and interpretation isn't the law. Got any lawyers that would back you up on your ludicrous claims? Got any credible sources that state CT is breaking any return laws? Nope!

DavidLeR

Canadian Tire sells many products that have no warranty, and cannot be returned for a refund, exchange or repair.

(It's like a "Repair Only" policy - without the Repair!)

In fact, there are so many that it's hard to count them all.

To see the long, long list for yourself, do a Googling search for:
"canadian tire" "this product has no warranty”
Remember to include the quotes, and to click "repeat the search with the omitted results included."

To give consumers an idea of just how many there are, I decided to make a partial list of some of the Categories of products that have at least one “No Warranty”:

Keep in mind, this list isn't of individual products; they are entire Categories of products. And it’s not even a full list!

Some of the categories I found are:

AA Batteries
Adhesives & Sealants
Antifreeze, Coolant and Accessories
Bedroom Organization
Baseball Accessories & Footwear
Basketball Equipment
Battery Chargers & Accessories
Boats
Camping Stoves & Appliances
Chamois & Towels
Coffee Carafes & Filters
Copper Pipe & Fittings
Fuel System Treatments & Cleaners
Game Cameras
Hand Soaps
Hockey Sticks - Goalie
Hockey Sticks - Wood
Hunting Accessories
Interior Car Care
Kids' Hockey Sticks
Kids' Inline Skating
Kids' Soccer Balls
Lawn Tractor Accessories
Marine Safety
Pest Control
Pet Crates & Carriers
Pilates & Yoga
Plumbing Parts & Fittings
Poly Pipe
Replacement Blades
Sanding & Polishing Accessories
Socket Sets
Specialty Cleaning Products
Specialty Repair
Street Hockey
Steel Rims
Tape, Glue & Sealants
Tire Storage
Transmission Fluids & Treatments
Windshield Washer Fluid
Winter Automotive

I suppose some products might be listed under more than one Category.

However, I know that many categories have more than one product listed.

Buyer Beware!

It isn't hard to find another retailer who won't cut corners on returns, and will stand behind what they sell.

Angry CT Guy

Canadian Tire sells many products that have no warranty, and cannot be returned for a refund, exchange or repair.

(It's like a "Repair Only" policy - without the Repair!)

In fact, there are so many that it's hard to count them all.

To see the long, long list for yourself, do a Googling search for:
"canadian tire" "this product has no warranty”
Remember to include the quotes, and to click "repeat the search with the omitted results included."

To give consumers an idea of just how many there are, I decided to make a partial list of some of the Categories of products that have at least one “No Warranty”:

Keep in mind, this list isn't of individual products; they are entire Categories of products. And it’s not even a full list!

Some of the categories I found are:

AA Batteries
Adhesives & Sealants
Antifreeze, Coolant and Accessories
Bedroom Organization
Baseball Accessories & Footwear
Basketball Equipment
Battery Chargers & Accessories
Boats
Camping Stoves & Appliances
Chamois & Towels
Coffee Carafes & Filters
Copper Pipe & Fittings
Fuel System Treatments & Cleaners
Game Cameras
Hand Soaps
Hockey Sticks - Goalie
Hockey Sticks - Wood
Hunting Accessories
Interior Car Care
Kids' Hockey Sticks
Kids' Inline Skating
Kids' Soccer Balls
Lawn Tractor Accessories
Marine Safety
Pest Control
Pet Crates & Carriers
Pilates & Yoga
Plumbing Parts & Fittings
Poly Pipe
Replacement Blades
Sanding & Polishing Accessories
Socket Sets
Specialty Cleaning Products
Specialty Repair
Street Hockey
Steel Rims
Tape, Glue & Sealants
Tire Storage
Transmission Fluids & Treatments
Windshield Washer Fluid
Winter Automotive

I suppose some products might be listed under more than one Category.

However, I know that many categories have more than one product listed.

Buyer Beware!

It isn't hard to find another retailer who won't cut corners on returns, and will stand behind what they sell.

From CTC's website:
Canadian Tire has attempted to match online prices to those in store; however online prices, product and service selection and availability, and sale effective dates may differ from those in store and may vary by geographic region. Due to differences in sale effective dates across the country, items may be available online at the sale price before they are available in store. Dealers are under no obligation to make promotional products available, or to match online prices until the sale begins in their region. Market conditions and competitive pressures may cause prices and availability to change without further notice. Canadian Tire Associate Dealers may sell for less. Additionally, although great care is taken in the production of the canadiantire.ca web site, typographical, illustrative or pricing errors may occur. We reserve the right to correct errors at any time

Almost everything listed has a minimum 1 year exchange warranty up to lifetime (we're well known for that on socket sets). Wood hockey sticks definitely have no warranty once used.
The problem with believing anything you read, especially if it's on the web, is it may not be accurate....not a perfect world, and I've yet to see a legitimate website without that disclaimer.
I guess when looking at something with shit colored glasses, you'd miss that little point.
You could always put your time to good use and contact CTC's head office to correct their website....I'll just continue to take care of my customers in the store like I do every day.

DavidLeR

Almost everything listed has a minimum 1 year exchange warranty up to lifetime ...

Funny how the CT Rep's never provide any verifiable evidence to confirm their claims - just a lot of speculation and opinions.

Has the Rep. provided a list to us, the customers, of items that actually have a warranty? Of course not. Just some vague guess-work.

Has the CT Rep. contacted CTC with a list of incorrect "warranty" statements, for them to correct? We can check to the site in a few days, to see.

This is especially important if innocent customers may be misinformed, and think that the store will provide an exchange or repair, when in fact they will not. (Not to mention that the store should be providing refunds for defective items.)

Regarding the Duracell charger, one of the CT rep's already confirmed that it has "no warranty", so there will be no return or repair. I was told the same thing at the 1-800 number, and was advised: "Don't buy it". I also went to a store, and asked the lady at the Customer Service about that product. She re-confirmed that it has no warranty, and cannot be returned for any reason. Her advice? "I wouldn't buy it".

The customer service line also confirmed that many hockey stick have "no warranty".

So, it is accurate to say that 100% of the items that have been checked, have been confirmed as being 'no return, no repair'.

This means that consumer must now check every single item prior to purchasing, to determine which policy will apply:

- No refund (exchange only)
- No refund, no exchange (repair only)
- No refund, no exchange, no repair ("No warranty).

Or, just shop pretty much anywhere else, and they will be better off.

(By the way, has anyone found any item that CT's policy is to provide a refund? Any at all?)

Angry CT Guy

Funny how the CT Rep's never provide any verifiable evidence to confirm their claims - just a lot of speculation and opinions.

Has the Rep. provided a list to us, the customers, of items that actually have a warranty? Of course not. Just some vague guess-work.

Has the CT Rep. contacted CTC with a list of incorrect "warranty" statements, for them to correct? We can check to the site in a few days, to see.

This is especially important if innocent customers may be misinformed, and think that the store will provide an exchange or repair, when in fact they will not. (Not to mention that the store should be providing refunds for defective items.)

Regarding the Duracell charger, one of the CT rep's already confirmed that it has "no warranty", so there will be no return or repair. I was told the same thing at the 1-800 number, and was advised: "Don't buy it". I also went to a store, and asked the lady at the Customer Service about that product. She re-confirmed that it has no warranty, and cannot be returned for any reason. Her advice? "I wouldn't buy it".

The customer service line also confirmed that many hockey stick have "no warranty".

So, it is accurate to say that 100% of the items that have been checked, have been confirmed as being 'no return, no repair'.

This means that consumer must now check every single item prior to purchasing, to determine which policy will apply:

- No refund (exchange only)
- No refund, no exchange (repair only)
- No refund, no exchange, no repair ("No warranty).

Or, just shop pretty much anywhere else, and they will be better off.

(By the way, has anyone found any item that CT's policy is to provide a refund? Any at all?)

I don't really care what you think....you're a faker advocate who can't find even one example that mentions CT's return policy and your claims that it's illegal together...NOT ONE!
I don't need to contact CTC about their errors on their website....over 60000 items....I'll let you spend your time for such a "worthy" cause. I checked our own system at work and socket sets said "lifetime exchange" under the warranty. Over the counter batteries said 1 year exchange. I already know that wood hockey sticks carry no warranty....same policy as many places and I've already posted the manufacturers's own policynon this.
And NO....there are no refunds for USED items, unless I decide to make an exception. All the borrow, rent for free, and claim fake defect people are more than welcome to try their luck at another retailer.....that is NOT who I cater to.
The 800 plus customers that graced my store today seemed to be pretty happy....we received lots of compliments on our staff and how we have the best plants in town in our garden centre.....not every one sees through the shit coloured glasses you wear.

CT Challenger

So, the CT Liars (or the Fake CT Reps, who are making the genuine owner/managers look like jerks) are saying that CT's web site has hundreds of errors, huh?

And they want consumers to do their testing for them and find the errors?

Well, I'm not convinced there are any errors at all. The only thing we've got so far is:

- a verifiable report of a call to the 1-800 number, confirming that various Duracell chargers really do have "no warranty".
- Two reports of CT personnel recommending against buying these chargers.
- The same chargers being sold at other stores with the standard "satisfaction guaranteed" refund policies.
- everybody agreeing that CT won't warranty various hockey sticks.

And now we've got a CT Liar (or fake there-of) saying that's those are the only "no warranty" products on the whole web site? And therefore "almost everything" on the list is an error on the CT site?

Now, assuming there are really that many errors, that's a pretty appalling lack of quality control and accuracy.

They should be kicking some serious butt over in IT.

But what do they do instead?

Ask consumers to help catch their mistakes!

Without even the incentive of $10, like the Scanning Code of Practice requires.

But actually, I'm personally opposed to CT fixing it, or any consumers helping them to fix it.

Why? Because these error (assuming they are errors) might be helping to scare away customers, who don't want to risk buying a "no warranty" product.

Does CT's own mistake make their policies look even crappier that they really are? GOOD!

This is reminiscent of that other owner (or faker there-of) whose incompetent staff were giving out too many exchanges for non-defective products - and he had the nerve to blame the customers, rather than fix the problem! Incredible!

Yeah, sorry CT Liars/Fakes - you won't be getting any help from consumers to fix THIS mess!

CT Challenger

This was a response on the "CT Liars" thread, but is very relevant to this thread, too:

I was shocked at the $90 Duracell charger that Crappy Tire sells without even a policy to provide a refund, exchange or repair.

But then I saw the inflatable kayak for $249.99:

Renegade Inflatable Kayak Set | Canadian Tire

As with so many other items, the web site says, "This product has no warranty".

$250 is a lot to pay for something that could easily be useless, right out of the box.

Could this be just a mistake on the web site? If so, it looks like CT doesn't even know enough to check, or care enough to fix their own mistake on their own web site.

To check for myself, I paid a visit to a CT store.

I found the item on the shelf. There were no signs saying, "As is" or "no refund, exchange or repair". No indication that this was a "no warranty" item at all.

So, maybe this is a mistake, after all? I mean, if this was a special "No Warranty" product, wouldn't there be some indicaton to the unsuspecting customer, to warn them?

I went to Customer Service and spoke to Becki. I gave her the product number, but she needed to know the brand ("Renegade") before she could find the information.

Becki confirmed that it had "no warranty", so it is "no refund, no exchange, no repair".

Becki also told me that, for many inflatable items, as soon as you buy it, "you own it", and if it won't inflate, the store won't help you. Huh!

So, we've confirmed several "no refund, no exchange, no repair" items:

- Various hockey sticks.
- Some Duracel chargers.
- An $250 inflatable kayak.

Plus, possibly other inflatable items.

It now seems far too risky to just walk into a Crappy Tire, pick an item off the shelf, and trust that CT is going to warn you ahead of time that they won't 'stand behind' it if anything is wrong with it.

You really DO NEED to follow the full, 17-step process before making any purchases from Crappy Tire:

https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/personal-stories/32-return-policy-8.html#post3806

(Plus, you need to record the brand in Step 1.)

Then again, why take a chance on buying anything from Crappy Tire at all? There are lots of other retailers where you can buy inflatable boats, chargers and other products, and they will give you a refund for a genuinely defective product. (Or even an exchange or repair, if that's all you want.)

And that's just for defective items. Most other retailers will provide a refund, even if you just tried it out and didn't like it. Imagine: "Customer service" - an idea that seems to just make the CT people angry at consumers.

"Crappy Tire: So many reasons ... to buy somewhere else"

CT Challenger

How about we have a contest?

Who can find the most expensive item at CT that has a "No Warranty" warranty?

There are lots of them on the site, but which is the priciest?

We've already confirmed that the $249 inflatable kayak has no warranty, and therefore cannot be returned.

(Imagine buying this thing, taking it up to the cottage, finding out it has a big hole in the side & can't be inflated, but then being told "too bad, so sad", you can't get your money back, you can't get another one, and the store won't even help you get it fixed! Ouch!)

To get things started, I did a little checking, and found this gem:

Humminbird ICE 35 Flasher Fish Finder | Canadian Tire

With tax, over $400.

But what if the darn thing won't work, right out of the box?

You're screwed! Say 'bye-bye' to 400 dollaros!

Anybody find anything pricier? I'm thinking maybe air compressor ...

R

rabbit

says here the $250 inflatable renegade has a 1 year warranty.

Inflatable kayak set includes a 2800 cc hand pump with inflation adapters

Set features a heavy duty carry bag with convenient shoulder strap

Includes a collapsible aluminum oar for easy storage

Padded seat and foot holds for a comfortable ride

Uses a large capacity valve for easy access

Adjustable back support ensures the right fit when you sit

Made of heavy duty 26 gauge PVC material

Includes a 420 and 840 denier nylon cover to protect the kayak

Gear pouch to store your valuables

Inflated dimensions 260 x 76 x 15 cm

Canadian Tire Warranty:

This product carries a 1 year exchange warranty redeemable at any Canadian Tire store.

Guest-0532

Funny. I even confirmed this one in the store. Now, the old link gives an error, and there's a new link with a warranty:

Looks like CT smartened up on this one.

But still lots of items that still say, "This product has no warranty".

Plus, Crappy Tire is still trying to deny customers refunds for defective items. Pathetic!

CT Me / Lawguy

Funny. I even confirmed this one in the store. Now, the old link gives an error, and there's a new link with a warranty:

Looks like CT smartened up on this one.

But still lots of items that still say, "This product has no warranty".

Plus, Crappy Tire is still trying to deny customers refunds for defective items. Pathetic!

ahhhhhhhhahaha that's brilliant. I suspect you're lying. Here's why
That product has not been updated in the Canadian Tire system for 6 months. I can see that information in my system.

It's great how the arguments of CT haters keep boiling down to generic throw away statements. "Still trying to deny customers refunds for defective items" - No specifics, no experiences... just a throw away comment, likely from a throw away individual.

Of course there are items with no warranty. Of course there are items that get denied refund. it's not consumer free-for-all do as you please Tire. There are rules, regulations, policies etc...

Go find a hobby, for real. the annoyingness of how simple minded you are is well...annoying

CT Challenger

Yeah, these “No Warranty” products sure are items the Crappy People don’t want consumers to know about, LOL.

So what if the Crappy Tire people removed an old page for a “No Warranty” product? It's not a big deal if that crappy kayak now has an “exchange only” policy - it’s still a much crappier deal than any other major retailer would offer. They'd give you a full refund if it were defective, for at least 30 days. Heck, they'd refund it you just weren't happy.

That's how much CT just plain sucks.

And how about that $400 fish finder? Still “no warranty” at Humminbird ICE 35 Flasher Fish Finder | Canadian Tire

What about the Duracell charger that started it all, and was confirmed as “no warranty” by the Crappy People themselves?

Still “no warranty” at Duracell Instant Power Reserve Charger | Canadian Tire

Maybe CT will get around to offering actual repairs or even (if you are lucky) an exchange on all these crappy items, some day. But in the meantime, you can’t get any of that. Defective right out of the box? Too bad – you own it. Fix it yourself.

And if consumers have any lingering doubts, about the hundreds of "No Warranty" products that Crappy Tire sells, just try that infamous Google search again, to turn up all these nasty product that have "No refund, No exchange, No repair”.

Google

Angry CT Guy

Yeah, these “No Warranty” products sure are items the Crappy People don’t want consumers to know about, LOL.

So what if the Crappy Tire people removed an old page for a “No Warranty” product? It's not a big deal if that crappy kayak now has an “exchange only” policy - it’s still a much crappier deal than any other major retailer would offer. They'd give you a full refund if it were defective, for at least 30 days. Heck, they'd refund it you just weren't happy.

That's how much CT just plain sucks.

And how about that $400 fish finder? Still “no warranty” at Humminbird ICE 35 Flasher Fish Finder | Canadian Tire

What about the Duracell charger that started it all, and was confirmed as “no warranty” by the Crappy People themselves?

Still “no warranty” at Duracell Instant Power Reserve Charger | Canadian Tire

Maybe CT will get around to offering actual repairs or even (if you are lucky) an exchange on all these crappy items, some day. But in the meantime, you can’t get any of that. Defective right out of the box? Too bad – you own it. Fix it yourself.

And if consumers have any lingering doubts, about the hundreds of "No Warranty" products that Crappy Tire sells, just try that infamous Google search again, to turn up all these nasty product that have "No refund, No exchange, No repair”.

Google

Can you provide the link to even one retailer that has a no questions asked policy on inflatable kayaks? Even one? No?
Tsk, Tsk faker advocate....you royally lose again.