Guest-0500

Posted by an unregistered user
I work for Canadian tire, and I admit, the repair only warranties are rediculous. But people are ignoring the facts. There are people here who are simply trying to explain the warranties because they are misunderstood.

Saying the customer service reps have stupid policies is getting old.. The people working customer service don't make up these polices, the manager don't even have any control over them. Actually I know most people at customer service AGREE with the customers and hate all the repair warranties.

I don't agree with the fact that different items have so many return polcies.. 7 days, 14 days, 30 days, 90 days + the fact that it depends on the store, oh and some items have to be returned to the store you bought it from. I understand WHY they have those polices though, and I think thats what employees are trying to show people here.

It's mostly selfishness on the corporations part, they just don't want to lose money.

For sure, the CSRs shouldn't be taking all the flak for what the stores and corporation implemented. That's just shooting the messenger.

But, how does the corporation lose money? We've had people posting here, saying the corporation gets credited back by the manufacturer every time, for everythin.

CT Me / Lawguy

I don't understand the aversion to a repair warranty!?
it's like owning a car...it breaks it goes in the shop for repair. When it's done you get it back. If it's a warranty car, it doesn't cost you anything. If you pay 15-50 grand for a car and it gets repaired, why shouldn't a $300 lawn mower?
Can't live without your mower or trimmer for a few days? Come on get a grip

We are a VERY wasteful nation. Everything is disposed of to the detriment of the environment. I have only ever in my years at CT seen a small handful of items that couldn't be repaired when it was at a repair depot.

Heck i'm an owner and my chainsaw is at a repair depot right now for a minor defect.

CT Challenger

it's like owning a car...it breaks it goes in the shop for repair. When it's done you get it back. If it's a warranty car, it doesn't cost you anything. If you pay 15-50 grand for a car and it gets repaired, why shouldn't a $300 lawn mower?

We are a VERY wasteful nation. Everything is disposed of to the detriment of the environment. I have only ever in my years at CT seen a small handful of items that couldn't be repaired when it was at a repair depot.

Heck i'm an owner and my chainsaw is at a repair depot right now for a minor defect.

Spoken like a true store owner, rather than a consumer.

This twisted analogy to the 'repair only' is remarkably similiar to one from March:

https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/g...arranty-no-refund-no-exchange-4.html#post2943

That post explains why this analogy is so flawed, and how consumers can get a refund or at least an exchange at any major retailer, except for Crappy Tire, for unwanted or defective items.

And blaming the consumers for the wastefulnes of the Crappy Tires stores themselves is just ridiculous.

You should maybe take some lessons on customer service from the CT Clerk who's been posting here. He doesn't know much, but he's at least got some good ideas about helping out customers.

CT Challenger

It's mostly selfishness on the corporations part, they just don't want to lose money.

So, how do they lose money?

Some CT people have been saying the corporation gets reimbursed.

Then, another CT person (the one with anger-management issues), said they don't, at least not for $20 cedar trees.

So, which is it?

CT Challenger

Well, this person sounds like they own or manage a store, despite their elevated hostility levels.

And they seem pretty adamant that the store won't get a refund from their supplier for a plant that dies:

To the best of my knowledge, vendors do not refund for plants unless they are claimed upon shipment to the store. If a store accepts the shipment of goods and one dies, the store does not receive compensation. perhaps there's some vendors that I don't deal with that have that policy, in which case I want to find those vendors LOL mine don't pay back.

So, clearly the store would lose money in the case in question, where 1 plant out of 20 died.

That might explain why the store on Major Mackenzie was so hard to deal with - they didn't want to lose the $20.

I can just imagine how much grief a customer would get from this irate owner/manager, if the store stood to lose a few dollars. It doesn't matter what's on the receipt, either.

It's far better to buy plants (or anything else) from a store that has good policies, and actually follows them. Someone like Walmart or Home Depot. Costco is best, if you have a membership.

C

CT Manager

In most cases, no.

In the plant example above, my store wouldn't lose any money on that either, for trees and shrubs anyway (we can claim cost at end of season on lost plants with those). Dead annual or perennial, and I eat the cost on that.

I find that, especially with garden consumers, they're extremely loyal about where they purchase their plants. I'm not going to piss off someone over a 4.99 plant. It died? Here's your refund, or exchange.

CT Challenger

. I'm not going to piss off someone over a 4.99 plant.

No? Does that mean you could if you wanted to?

What's the policy on plants? Trees? Shrubs? Annuals? Perennials?

Is it 30 days? 90 days? 6 months? A year?

Under what circumstances can you refuse a legitimate return? Any old time you want? With some evidence of fraud?

No over $4.99, huh. How about a $20 cedar? A $600 swimming pool? A $1500 tread mill? Exactly what's the cut-off?

C

CT Manager

Under what circumstances can you refuse a legitimate return? Any old time you want? With some evidence of fraud?

No over $4.99, huh. How about a $20 cedar? A $600 swimming pool? A $1500 tread mill? Exactly what's the cut-off?

On trees and shrubs (like a cedar), there's a 1 year warranty.

On perennials, there's a warranty for that season.

On Annuals, there's technically no warranty, but if someone buys something from me and it's dead the next day, I'm going to replace it for them.

The $20 cedar is an easy return. Receipt, 1 year warranty.. done.

$600 Swimming pool, there's at least a year warranty on all of them to my knowledge thus far. Some are "repair only", but there are ways around that, such as a concealed damage claim (telling the manufacturer the pool came to the store in that condition, which is usually the case), or a code 50 (customer relations claim) or code 55 (all of the above claim, lol). The trouble with the "repair only" warranties that I see a lot of people complaining about here is that it's the manufacturer who sets those warranties. The store, unlike what some managers seem to think, can make their own decisions. When warranties are cooperative, great. When they're not, that's when we have to use the mechanisms that CTC provided to help out the customer. You buy a pool today, pay that kind of money for it, take it home.. go through all the trouble of getting it together and filling it with a pile of water, only to find out there's a leak.. I'm not going to stonewall you with a "repair only warranty" and a 1-800 number to call if you have a problem with that. Here's your refund, or new pool.

I don't have a "cut-off". Personally, I try to make sure every customer leaves happy, my 4.99 was another example of that. The only thing I'm sticky on is the receipt, I require a proof of purchase. That's the only time where I'm stonewalling a customer, and I think it's a reasonable request to have the receipt (I need to when you bought it, what you paid... or in some isolated cases.. if you paid for it at all, there are thieves out there, the good people unfortunately have to pay for the bad people's mistakes). If you have a receipt, and a legitimate problem... there's always a way to have the customer leave happy.

Like I've said before, bring up any situation and I can tell you how it could be handled. I think any other fellow employees or managers or dealers would agree that there are bad apples in the bunch. Some of the manufacturer warranties are nutty, and a lot of the managers aren't capable to see the shade of grey in between the black and white of the page on that warranty form. It's not perfect, but I've worked enough retail to know (My first management gig was Wal-Mart, then Home Depot, and now CT) that within every store's return policy, there's a demon out there that all customers complain about. It's just reality. To claim CT is far and away worse than everyone else is a fabrication. Saying CT is the worst, is the same as saying "this beer is the best in the world". Until you've tasted them all, you can't make that determination.

C

CT Manager

And in case the answer to your question is muddled, "under what circumstances can you refuse a return", they are the following:

1) No receipt

2) Not within warranty date, or reasonably close to it (i.e only a few weeks over the warranty time.. no big deal, we'll take care of you)

3) A rare one, fraud. Last week a guy was charged with fraud. He owned a roofing business, so he bought a brad nailer. A few of them actually 3 years ago. Turns out, what he was doing was using a receipt for a new nailer he bought recently, to get himself a replacement of the old one that's maybe 4 or 5 years old. I get called up to customer service and this tool had gone through the war and back. Barely, on the drill itself the manufacture date was still on it. I took a look at it, July 2001. Date of purchase? June, 2011. Yeah right, definitely not the same nailer he bought with that receipt. So with this information, I take a look at his return history. He's returned over 12 nailers over the past 2 years for exchanges, all likely using this receipt pattern. Afterwards, I call up a few stores nearby, give them the information.. bam.. he's hit them all too.

Cops start their investigation, not only was he using them for industrial use (which voids the warranty technically, but I don't enforce that rule unless it's outright abuse)... but he was also selling them.

I never mention the "fraud" word to customers, unless I'm absolutely sure they're committing it. Shoving that in their face is just going to piss them off.

CT Challenger

Interesting comments.

Different Crappy People have different ideas about when they'll lose money giving a legitimate return to a customer.

It's starting to sounds like depends on how each store runs it's business.

Sure are a lot of ways for the store to lose money, LOL!

CT Challenger

$600 Swimming pool, there's at least a year warranty on all of them to my knowledge thus far.

Again, you display a deep lack of knowledge about the policies of the store you say you represent.

A link was posted just a few days ago to a Crappy Tire pool with no warranty, so no refund, no exchange, no repair.

You can even look at the customer Q&A for a more details.

Even the other CT people say you are wrong. You really don't seem to know what you are talking about, just on the things we can verify.

Why should anyone believe anything you wrote?

C

CT Manager

Again, you display a deep lack of knowledge about the policies of the store you say you represent.

A link was posted just a few days ago to a Crappy Tire pool with no warranty, so no refund, no exchange, no repair.

You can even look at the customer Q&A for a more details.

Even the other CT people say you are wrong. You really don't seem to know what you are talking about, just on the things we can verify.

Why should anyone believe anything you wrote?

May I see that link?

Like my post said though, which you conveniently ignored.. the manufacturers warranty is not the be all end all for customer service. CT managers have the power to do something for the customer should they choose. If someone buys a pool from me, and there's an issue, they're going to get taken care of. I'm pretty sure I know which pool you're talking about, and it wasn't long ago I did an exchange for a customer with no problems, despite the lack of warranty other than a 1-800 number to call "to get a patch". Screw that.

CT Challenger

May I see that link?

Like my post said though, which you conveniently ignored.. the manufacturers warranty is not the be all end all for customer service. CT managers have the power to do something for the customer should they choose. If someone buys a pool from me, and there's an issue, they're going to get taken care of. I'm pretty sure I know which pool you're talking about, and it wasn't long ago I did an exchange for a customer with no problems, despite the lack of warranty other than a 1-800 number to call "to get a patch". Screw that.

Hydroforce Steel Frame Pool, 18-ft x 48-in | Canadian Tire

It's pretty easy to make big promises that you'll never have to keep. You haven't told anybody yet where this paradise of a store you describe is located, so nobody is able to take you up on your generous promises of amazing customers service and generous return policies.

Meanwhile, Canadians across the country are stuck with the official policies of Crappy Tire, which YOU continue to ignore. Policies that make it very difficult to get a refund, and hard to get an exchange. Policies that are far worse than all the other major retailer.

We keep hearing about more and more situations where Crappy Tire will lose money giving exchanges to customers, but you ignore this, too.

C

CT Manager

Hydroforce Steel Frame Pool, 18-ft x 48-in | Canadian Tire

It's pretty easy to make big promises that you'll never have to keep. You haven't told anybody yet where this paradise of a store you describe is located, so nobody is able to take you up on your generous promises of amazing customers service and generous return policies.

Meanwhile, Canadians across the country are stuck with the official policies of Crappy Tire, which YOU continue to ignore. Policies that make it very difficult to get a refund, and hard to get an exchange. Policies that are far worse than all the other major retailer.

We keep hearing about more and more situations where Crappy Tire will lose money giving exchanges to customers, but you ignore this, too.

The "No Warranty" showing on the website there is misleading. There is, except it isn't through Canadian Tire. There's a 1-800 number and the customer deals directly with the manufacturer. Most parts are warranted for 1 year, a few for only 90 days. Code 50/55 are both ways for stores to bypass this though.

CT Challenger

The "No Warranty" showing on the website there is misleading. There is, except it isn't through Canadian Tire. There's a 1-800 number and the customer deals directly with the manufacturer. Most parts are warranted for 1 year, a few for only 90 days. Code 50/55 are both ways for stores to bypass this though.

I'll say it's misleading!

There's nothing at all on the shelf near these products, on the web site, or on the wall at Customer Service, about the actual return policy, on this item, or the hundreds of others like it:

- No refunds, ever.
- No exchanges, ever.
- No free repairs, ever.

Yeah, pretty misleading, alright.

(And, by the way, nobody expects Crappy Tire to provide a warranty on anything. But a nice return policy, like all the other stores have, would be nice!)

Now, isn't it's interesting, how Crappy Tire would actually lose money, if they went ahead and gave a refund or exchange, or even just paid for a repair, on one of these notorious items.

Thanks again for the confirmation, Crappy Manager!

Guest-0276

This coming from a simoniz and jobmate seller lol. Whatever buddy, you just sell whatever crap the corporation tells you to. And it's piling up in the landfil with your Triangle of Crap logo all over it. So much for being the man lol.The problem here isn't repairs. It's your store policy, you sell crap, it breaks and there's no warranty, no refund period. Or if there is, you, your staff act like there isn't and the customer is still out money for something that doesn't work. Period.

CT Me / Lawguy

This coming from a simoniz and jobmate seller lol. Whatever buddy, you just sell whatever crap the corporation tells you to. And it's piling up in the landfil with your Triangle of Crap logo all over it. So much for being the man lol.The problem here isn't repairs. It's your store policy, you sell crap, it breaks and there's no warranty, no refund period. Or if there is, you, your staff act like there isn't and the customer is still out money for something that doesn't work. Period.

Period.? LOL like you get the final say. Get off the horse you rode in on sir, you are no authority figure on ...well anything as far as i'm concerned.

Again your lack of scope is glaring. As is typical here, when something goes wrong, a product fails, a customer service clerk makes an incorrect return/warranty decision etc.... you make it seem as if thats what happens all day every day across the board.

Think long and hard about that claim. If any company CONSISTENTLY, as in not 1 or 2%...as in 20, 30, 40 or more % of the time was denying legitimate refunds, warranties etc... how long would they be in business? How long would customers shop there? Not very long. That is CERTAINLY....100% not the trend at CT. Comp store retail sales do not grow if customers do not come back. Our comp store sales are on the rise. Customers are shopping at CT.

PERIOD.

Guest-0276

Period.? LOL like you get the final say. Get off the horse you rode in on sir, you are no authority figure on ...well anything as far as i'm concerned.

You've heard it here folks...again. Straight from the ass. Customers you have no final say on the crap you bought and the return you've been turned away from because ... retail douche bags like this behind the desk have little man syndrome and like the feeling of power. No you get off your high horse you retail loser. Most of us have made it and don't work in retail ripping people off.
Again your lack of scope is glaring. As is typical here, when something goes wrong, a product fails, a customer service clerk makes an incorrect return/warranty decision etc.... you make it seem as if thats what happens all day every day across the board.
it happens all day everyday. It's not an incorrect return/ decision on your part when customers are promised cash returns and get only a "store credit", recently demonstrated by store 164. Seems like policy to me.
Think long and hard about that claim. If any company CONSISTENTLY, as in not 1 or 2%...as in 20, 30, 40 or more % of the time was denying legitimate refunds, warranties etc... how long would they be in business? How long would customers shop there? Not very long.
. What's this you're throwing numbers around again that you still fail to understand from scores of past posts lol. It looks like the number, the number you'd like to ignore is gaining steam, as more and more people are becoming aware of how crappy you are. Too bad they're finding out first hand instead of reading consumer posts that'll save them the trouble of stepping foot in your crappy store.

Customers find out what Target has in store for you! 220 locations all across Canada coming to a place near you. Avoid the Crap Trap and shop any where else.

CT Me / Lawguy

Yes lets talk numbers....

customer complaints are gaining steam you say? Prove it. There is no data that will support this claim of yours AGAIN. The claim that will disprove this AGAIN. It's this simple

"Canadian Tire's flagship retail chain sales grew 5.1% this quarter of 2011"

What is there to dispute? sales grew! So either that's more customers through the door or more dollars per customer......OR BOTH! That is factual, verifiable data proving that customers are spending MORe money at Canadian Tire in 2011. MORE, not less.

so you lied, customers are in fact not growing with dissatisfaction. It's the exact opposite.

As far as your claim that "you've made it" - I don't think you understand the term made it! If you're a 9-5 working person or on an annual salary, you haven't made it. You're perhaps living comfortably at best. When I go home for the day, i'm still making money. Next week i'm away for a few days with my family, still making money.

CT Challenger

It's always good for a laugh, when a self-appointed Crappy Person decides to act all big & bad here, pretending they get to decide who has a "say" on things, especially a "final say".

Who's on a high 'horse' and has no "authority"? The Crappy People, of course.

It's amusing that many Crappy People will readily admit, consumers are what make their world turn, and yet they act so arrogant and dismissive towards legitimate concerns of consumers.

Sure, some people have not yet figured out what the real policies of Crappy Tire are, and how stores resist giving refunds, simply because the store made a crappy bargain with their suppliers, and will lose money if they give refunds.

Of course, some customers are willing to sacrifice customer service, and are willing to lower themselves by shopping at Crappy Tire to save a buck.

But that only shows how Crappy Tire is continuing the downward spiral, of chasing budget-minded consumers with ever-crappier goods at ever-lower prices, until Crappy Tire ends up going head-to-head with Giant Tiger.

Great strategy, Crappy Tire!

But how about letting consumers know in advance that you are cutting costs by refusing reasonable returns?

How about admitting that you'll lose money by giving refunds, instead of trying to hide it?