CT Challenger

*Exceptions include but are not limited to the following:

I guess you missed that line right before Ink cartridges were mentioned.

The only thing that got missed, was when the self-appointed CT rep missing (maybe deliberately?) the point of the post.

Oh, well - so it goes when dealing with things related to CT.

But, it's nice that the CT rep helped emphasize my point:

If there are no exceptions, then it's deceptive for CT to write about "exceptions".

It gives the false impression that some things can be returned opened (but unused and in original condition and packaging).

It is, in short, a lie, if there are no exceptions.

Customers should ask what a return policy is before they buy something. Saves a lot of hassle later.

Ah, another fine opportunity to drive home a point:

If the customer checked the web site, or a recent receipt, which had a mis-stated return policy, then it is the fault of the store, which mis-informed the customer.

Make no mistake, if a store is going to state a policy, it is absolutely up to the store to state it accurately and honestly.

No, it is not up to the customer to constantly second-guess the information that CT has already provided.

It is ridiculous to suggest that every customers must re-check every policy for every item, on every single visit to the store.

No other retailer has such poor policies, and no reasonable store repeatedly blames their customers for the store's own mistakes.

I suppose you can't blame CT for trying to hide their lousy policies - it seems even they know how poor they are, compared to CT's competitors.

But you can't blame the customer for learning to stay far away from these stores, which engage in these poor practices.

Just one more reason that ...

"Friends Don't Let Friends Do Business With Canadian Tire"

Angry CT Guy

Posted by an unregistered user
The only thing that got missed, was when the self-appointed CT rep missing (maybe deliberately?) the point of the post.

Oh, well - so it goes when dealing with things related to CT.

But, it's nice that the CT rep helped emphasize my point:

If there are no exceptions, then it's deceptive for CT to write about "exceptions".

It gives the false impression that some things can be returned opened (but unused and in original condition and packaging).

It is, in short, a lie, if there are no exceptions.

Ah, another fine opportunity to drive home a point:

If the customer checked the web site, or a recent receipt, which had a mis-stated return policy, then it is the fault of the store, which mis-informed the customer.

Make no mistake, if a store is going to state a policy, it is absolutely up to the store to state it accurately and honestly.

No, it is not up to the customer to constantly second-guess the information that CT has already provided.

It is ridiculous to suggest that every customers must re-check every policy for every item, on every single visit to the store.

No other retailer has such poor policies, and no reasonable store repeatedly blames their customers for the store's own mistakes.

I suppose you can't blame CT for trying to hide their lousy policies - it seems even they know how poor they are, compared to CT's competitors.

But you can't blame the customer for learning to stay far away from these stores, which engage in these poor practices.

Just one more reason that ...

"Friends Don't Let Friends Do Business With Canadian Tire"

Who said there were no exceptions...I must have missed that....I think most retailers have exceptions to their general return policy. You also don't think it's realistic for a customer to ask what the refund or warranty is for every item they purchase?....that would be prudent.....here this might help you understand:

Roseman: Check the refund policy before buying - Moneyville.ca

The phrase is "buyer beware" ....not, " retailer should think for the customer or guess what they're thinking"

What I DON'T see in Roseman's article is that retailers are doing anything illegal. Why don't you call her and ask why she overlooked this important tidbit...LOL

CT Challenger

Well, consumers, the self-appointed CT rep sure is good at misrepresenting what other people write, and missing important facts.

Smart consumers are wary of what CT reps write, due to their long history of dishonesty, both in the stores, on their own web site, and on sites like this one.

But, it always nice to have a chance to clarify things for consumers.

Who said there were no exceptions...I must have missed that....I think most retailers have exceptions to their general return policy.

We have reports on this site from many consumers, and confirmation from people who represent stores, stating that stores will refuse returns of any unwanted items that have been opened.

We even have reports of stores opening packages, and then immediately refusing to provide a refund ... because the package has been opened!

The observation was made that it is against the store policy written on the web site, and on the receipts.

Therefore, it is dishonest to suggest that the policy only applies to a few items, when it applies to all items. (Pretending it is an 'exception' rather than a 'rule'.)

If there really are only a few exceptions, where things cannot be returned once opened, it would be honest and not inconvenient for the stores to indicate that few items with signs (as they should do for other exceptons, like "as-is", "clearance" or other items like ammunition and underwear).

A store being open and truthful shouldn't be too much to ask for.

You also don't think it's realistic for a customer to ask what the refund or warranty is for every item they purchase?....that would be prudent

Well, consumers, here we have another example of CT's take on "customer service".

If they have a policy that applies to every item in the store, will they put up a couple of signs saying what that policy is? No way - they want you to ask every time, for every product.

Kind of like what they put customers through for their policy on defective items - only this time, its for unwanted items.

Actually, what is prudent for consumers, is to never do business with Crappy Tire, who have crappy policies, which they try to hide, and then don't even follow.

.....here this might help you understand:

As usual, the article is being misrepresented.

Ellen did not say quite what the CT rep would like you to think.

The CT rep is blaming customers for the mis-information provided on their own web site, then saying Ellen Roseman backs up the store on this point.

Well, I really like the part where Ellen wrote, "So, it’s worth checking what they say at their websites."

Well, consumers, that won't help you much with Crappy Tire - they don't even follow the policy that's on their site.

So, CT is so crappy, that even that advice won't help you.

The phrase is "buyer beware"

Yes, and people who risk shopping at CT must be very, very wary indeed.

....not, " retailer should think for the customer or guess what they're thinking"

But it wouldn't it be nice if this retailer would stop lying to consumers? Don't wait around too long for that to happen.

Yes, "Friends Don't Let Friends Do Business At Canadian Tire".

Angry CT Guy

I love it when faker advocate gets all riled up....each and every day when his ranting and raving gets called for opinions and lies, everything suddenly becomes misstated and everyone else is wrong and a liar. I can hear the proverbial stamping of his feet now....LOL

Guest-0510

I love your post! Canadian tire is the worst! I will never step in that store in my life! Crapy tire indeed!!!

A topic that deserves its own thread is the Canadian Tire policies for the return of unwanted goods.

Note that this is NOT the same thing as a consumer returning:

- A defective product.
- A product that is not fit for its intended purpose.

(Defective and unfit products are discussed under existing threads.)

The first thing to note: in most provinces, if a customer changed their mind about an item, a store is not required (in that specific situation) to give a refund or exchange.

Reasons that a customer might change their mind include:

- They don’t like the item any more.
- They want a different colour, size of style.
- They decide it was too expensive.
- They found it cheaper elsewhere.

See Office of Consumer Affairs (OCA) - Common consumer questions for related information on general Canadian laws on unwanted goods.

Please note that consumer protection laws are under provincial jurisdictions, so it is important to check the laws in your province or territory.

It is worth repeating at this point that there are specific laws in various provinces and territories that cover defective goods, and goods that are not fit for the intended purpose.

That being said, most retailers allow the return of products if a customer is not satisfied with the product, as a courtesy to customers.

Costco:

Costco Canada’s policy says, “We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell and will refund your purchase price”. Of course, this includes outdoor power equipment. Here are some links describing their policies:

https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/g...rranty-no-refund-no-exchange-20.html#post3166

https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/g...rranty-no-refund-no-exchange-20.html#post3179

Note that Costco puts the restriction that the product must be “in the original packaging”, but the packaging does not need to be unopened, and the product does not need to be "unused”.

Walmart:

Walmart Canada has similar policies, as described in this posts:

https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/g...rranty-no-refund-no-exchange-21.html#post3238

One Walmart restriction is that, for gasoline-powered equipment, the gasoline should be drained before returning it for a refund. This is for safety reasons, and not some excuse to deny a refund.

Home Depot:

Home Depot Canada also has a “satisfaction guarantee”, and will provide refunds for at least 30 days on items such as pressure washers and lawn mowers, if the customer is unhappy – even if the customer used it, and even it if is gas-powered.

See https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/g...rranty-no-refund-no-exchange-28.html#post3445 for details.

Canadian Tire:

And so, we come to the store we all love to hate, Crappy Tire.

As with so many of Canadian Tire’s other policies, these are far worse than those of other major retailers. Plus, they are not clearly stated.

Let’s look at the web page (Returns, Refunds & Exchanges | Canadian Tire) and at a receipt, to see what they say about unwanted goods.

“Easy returns: Save your receipt”

Sounds good - maybe things will be easy, if you just save your receipt, right? Wrong!

The site and the receipt both go on to state, “in its original condition and packaging”

That’s a pretty broad statement. It means that most items cannot be used, if doing so will change it from being in “original condition”, such as putting gas in the tank of a gas-powered machine.

Speaking of “unopened”, does that word appear on the receipt? No, it does not. On the web site? Only for specific products like ink, media and some beds/mattresses.

But what will befall the innocent consumer who brings in an opened (but unused, original condition) item for a refund, in accordance with the terms on the receipt and web site?

They will likely be told that they can't get a refund unless the package is still “sealed” or “unopened”, and maybe even that must be “unused” (which is redundant for anything that was in a package).

Surprise! CT has your money, and won’t be giving it back!

Conclusion:

Consumers have a choice: do their shopping at CT, or do it at any of the other major retailers, who are honest and open about their policies, stand behind what they sell, and offer refunds if the customer is not happy.

It is worth repeating that, if a consumer is not 100% sure they will continue to like the product, they should check the store’s policy for the return of unwanted goods before they buy.

It is also worth repeating that the store’s policy is irrelevant when it comes to a defective product, or to one that is not fit for its intended purpose. In those cases, check the legislation in your province or territory.

Recommendations:

- If you think you want to buy something from Crappy Tire, be sure to use 17-step process for “Easy Returns” (here: https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/personal-stories/32-return-policy-8.html#post3806).

- Always keep the original packaging, tags, etc., until you are certain you will not need to return the product for a refund or exchange, or (once the return period has elapsed) for warranty repairs.

- Do not buy from CT, because they have the worst policies (including for returns of unwanted goods) among major Canadian retailers.

Guest-0510

I actually love this post...goes back to one of my original comments that said "we are not the borrow it for the weekend" store. Thanks for pointing that out, yet again.
Just for the record, "original condition" does mean unused....but many stores, like mine actually put on the receipt "unopened and unused", just so there isn't any confusion. If you're looking to try something out to see if you like it, or borrow it for a project, or return a Christmas Tree on Jan. 2nd......then by all means, shop at the stores that let you. Here's a little eye opener for you though, we used to have a no questions asked policy on returns....but because people abused it....it no longer exists. Other retailers have been tightening their return policies as well (I'm sure Ler has read Ellen Roseman's commentary on the subject)....face it, it's not realistic and open to abuse. Then of course there are those people that decided that lying was a better option...."it's defective"....until we started to test out items.....and low and behold....we caught a lot of liars. They must shop elsewhere now.....good.

CT is a scam, and you are pathetic for saying that everyone just wants to abuse the system. I dont know what planet you live on, but CT should try to go above and beyond for their customers.. but hey it's easier to call people-customers liars and criminals, right?

I must say-You are unbelievable! This is why Canadian tire will never live up to be as big as walmart, homedepot etc.. Never! I dont know where CT got this "genious idea" for scaming but hey you can fool me once....
Anyway, CT is scaming people for their money, and I strongly believe it's time for some of us to do something about it! I'm glad I found this site with ease and that more and more ppl are seeing the truth!

If I'm a liar for buying an item that didn't work and wanted to exchange or refund it the next day- and get a NO from CT- Then what is CT? A store that doesnt care about anything but to steel your money. Even if they sold shit wraped up as something else, and you came home and unpacked it only to find shit- well that's not CT's problem anymore, cuz they got your money, and now that you've opened it it's not "original condition" So ct will basically tell you to piss off and that you are a liar and a criminal for wanting to return a piece of shit that got sold to you by CT as something else. So seriously what should we call CAnadian tire? Canadian ripoff! And the "save your receipt for easy return" on the back of your receipt, well you should put "we got your money now, you can take the receipt and shove it!"

And for all you that work there, I'm not sure if you have some self esteem issues, but to abuse customers like that,I bet you do- that's why some one would choose to work @ CT
Well I hope that CT will get rich by ripping me off a couple hundred bucks! But from now on all my money goes to everyone else but CT!

Canadian tire is nothing but a SCAM!

Angry CT Guy

CT is a scam, and you are pathetic for saying that everyone just wants to abuse the system. I dont know what planet you live on, but CT should try to go above and beyond for their customers.. but hey it's easier to call people-customers liars and criminals, right?

I must say-You are unbelievable! This is why Canadian tire will never live up to be as big as walmart, homedepot etc.. Never! I dont know where CT got this "genious idea" for scaming but hey you can fool me once....
Anyway, CT is scaming people for their money, and I strongly believe it's time for some of us to do something about it! I'm glad I found this site with ease and that more and more ppl are seeing the truth!

If I'm a liar for buying an item that didn't work and wanted to exchange or refund it the next day- and get a NO from CT- Then what is CT? A store that doesnt care about anything but to steel your money. Even if they sold shit wraped up as something else, and you came home and unpacked it only to find shit- well that's not CT's problem anymore, cuz they got your money, and now that you've opened it it's not "original condition" So ct will basically tell you to piss off and that you are a liar and a criminal for wanting to return a piece of shit that got sold to you by CT as something else. So seriously what should we call CAnadian tire? Canadian ripoff! And the "save your receipt for easy return" on the back of your receipt, well you should put "we got your money now, you can take the receipt and shove it!"

And for all you that work there, I'm not sure if you have some self esteem issues, but to abuse customers like that,I bet you do- that's why some one would choose to work @ CT
Well I hope that CT will get rich by ripping me off a couple hundred bucks! But from now on all my money goes to everyone else but CT!

Yeah, that's how it works...lol....right! Low level thinking....a successful business makes it's money by ripping people off....get a life.

Guest-0511

Yeah, that's how it works...lol....right! Low level thinking....a successful business makes it's money by ripping people off....get a life.

Oh bite me! Who are you to tell me to get a life? Maybe you are the guy that works at "customer service" counter? I hope CT is treating their employees very well since you would take a bullet for them- it seems!
They will never be like walmart, home depot, lowes... NEVER! And how successful they really are, is not my to decide, i hope they use those 200$ bucks of mine on medications! But since they have so much free time to worry about customers bringing back the crap they sell, and then go test it out even- well that should tel you everything. And wait till every money spending- hard working customer gets a piece of "customer service" at Canadian Tire like I did, we shall see for how long they will be in business indeed.
I'm on this page because I had a really really bad experience and no one didn't want to help me. Not the store, not the call centre for customer service. I want to let people know what happen to me!
And how about you? Why the heck are you here? Don't tell me you are getting paid by CT to do so, cuz there is no way in hell that that's the case. So you get a life or a real job and piss off!
I Bought a product, didn't like it, brought it back the next day for an EXCHANGE!!to spend more money was th plan,but hey, the people over at CT ( the ones that call themselves customer service reps) told me no!The box is opened so we can't exchange it.. It's not in it's original condition! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? To make things worse I bought it opened!
Now where else can you get Service like that??? Name one store that won't return a product the next day with the receipt and the original box and everything, only because it was opened, taken out of the box and put back in!

And I was talking to friends and neighbors, and some of them don't even step foot in CT. Go to home depot, and you will see what friendly and qualified staff, and real customer service is!

I said it before and I'll say it again Canadian Tire is a scam!

Angry CT Guy

Oh bite me! Who are you to tell me to get a life? Maybe you are the guy that works at "customer service" counter? I hope CT is treating their employees very well since you would take a bullet for them- it seems!
They will never be like walmart, home depot, lowes... NEVER! And how successful they really are, is not my to decide, i hope they use those 200$ bucks of mine on medications! But since they have so much free time to worry about customers bringing back the crap they sell, and then go test it out even- well that should tel you everything. And wait till every money spending- hard working customer gets a piece of "customer service" at Canadian Tire like I did, we shall see for how long they will be in business indeed.
I'm on this page because I had a really really bad experience and no one didn't want to help me. Not the store, not the call centre for customer service. I want to let people know what happen to me!
And how about you? Why the heck are you here? Don't tell me you are getting paid by CT to do so, cuz there is no way in hell that that's the case. So you get a life or a real job and piss off!
I Bought a product, didn't like it, brought it back the next day for an EXCHANGE!!to spend more money was th plan,but hey, the people over at CT ( the ones that call themselves customer service reps) told me no!The box is opened so we can't exchange it.. It's not in it's original condition! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? To make things worse I bought it opened!
Now where else can you get Service like that??? Name one store that won't return a product the next day with the receipt and the original box and everything, only because it was opened, taken out of the box and put back in!

And I was talking to friends and neighbors, and some of them don't even step foot in CT. Go to home depot, and you will see what friendly and qualified staff, and real customer service is!

I said it before and I'll say it again Canadian Tire is a scam!

Sounds like you used it, if that's the case then you own it. There was a reason that the customer service line supported the store, they didn't do anything wrong. Why did they have to "test" it out....did you say it was defective?
If you use something and no longer want it, then sell it....pennywise, kiiji, craigslist....you've got choices, but don't expect a store to scrap an item that is perfectly good and our customers expect to get something NEW when they pay top dollar.
Depending on the attitude of the person who bought something in error, I may choose to help them and allow an exchange....I've done it lots of times....but the second they give my staff grief over their poor purchasing decision, they're on their own....you want an exception....better own up to your poor decision and be thankful an exception is being given. Quit blaming others for your shortfall.

CT Challenger

Welcome to the site! I see you've 'met' the self-appointed CT Liar/Rep. You can pretty much disregard anything they say - it's either a pointless insults or a lie.

For a list of their most-common lies about stores and retail in general check out this thread: https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/g...y-do-ct-defenders-post-so-many-lies-here.html

I noticed you mentioned defective items. I agree with your sentiments, but this thread is about the return of non-defective items, and ones that perform their intended function. CT is allowed to set their own policy for this, but they need to be honest about it. As you've noted, all other major Canadian retailers have far superior policies.

For defective/non-performing items, at least in Ontario, consumers are entitled to a refund, or an exchange (if they prefer), due to the Sale of Goods Act and Consumer Protection Act of 2002. See this thread for details: https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/general-canadian-tire-complaints-chat/707-sale-goods-act.html

If a defective/non-performing product happens to have CT's rip-off "repair only" policy, the same law applies (refund or exchange, customer's choice). More details on what's been called the "Simoniz Scam" are here: https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/personal-stories/68-simoniz-scam.html, and here: https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/g...pair-only-warranty-no-refund-no-exchange.html.

Happy reading!

Angry CT Guy

Welcome to the site! I see you've 'met' the self-appointed CT Liar/Rep. You can pretty much disregard anything they say - it's either a pointless insults or a lie.

For a list of their most-common lies about stores and retail in general check out this thread: https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/g...y-do-ct-defenders-post-so-many-lies-here.html

I noticed you mentioned defective items. I agree with your sentiments, but this thread is about the return of non-defective items, and ones that perform their intended function. CT is allowed to set their own policy for this, but they need to be honest about it. As you've noted, all other major Canadian retailers have far superior policies.

For defective/non-performing items, at least in Ontario, consumers are entitled to a refund, or an exchange (if they prefer), due to the Sale of Goods Act and Consumer Protection Act of 2002. See this thread for details: https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/general-canadian-tire-complaints-chat/707-sale-goods-act.html

If a defective/non-performing product happens to have CT's rip-off "repair only" policy, the same law applies (refund or exchange, customer's choice). More details on what's been called the "Simoniz Scam" are here: https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/personal-stories/68-simoniz-scam.html, and here: https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/g...pair-only-warranty-no-refund-no-exchange.html.

Happy reading!

Don't forget to also check out this:
http://www.sse.gov.on.ca/mcs/en/Pages/Buying_Merchandise_Refunds
and this
Deposits, Refunds and Exchanges - Canadian BBB

Faker advocate will be calling these misstated or lies....but you'll be wondering how come faker advocate doesn't provide evidence of that....I mean, after all one is actually the Ministry's own site and the other is the Better Business Bureau. Shouldn't they be relied upon more than some anonymous poster on a sucks.com site? LOL

CT Challenger

Not sure what the CT'er is trying to prove. On this "Unwanted Goods" thread, it's already been agreed that stores can set their own policies for non-defective items that are fit for their intended purpose. I sure hope the self-appointed CT Rep isn't wasting time trying with proof of something that's already been agreed to!

The main thing customers want is to be given honest, truthful information, but we don't get much of that at Crappy Tire. Check out their web site, and read what it says about unwanted items (i.e., non-defective and fit). It doesn't say that everything has to be "unopened", but that's what happens in some stores. Pretty deceptive - consumers are given the advice of checking the web site, but then they find out the information there is misleading and inaccurate. How can CT get away with that?

Sure, the site says there are "exceptions" and that some items must be returned "unopened", but that mis-leads consumes into thinking that some can be returned "opened", as long as they are "in its original condition". Customers get a surprise at some stores when they are told everything has to be "unopened". Sounds like an 'unfair' practice to me.

Then there's the in-store suprise of adding "unused" to the requirements. Nowhere on the web site or on the receipt is this stated. Another deception and unfair practice.

(By the way, you won't experience crappy policies like this at any other major Canadian retailer - just Crappy Tire.)

It would be at least honest and truthful if the stores posted signs warning customers that the store wasn't going to follow CT's own crappy policies. But that would be too much to expect from the deceptive and deceitful people at Crappy Tire.

Oh, and the links the self-appointed CT rep provided?

Go ahead and try to click on that first link. It doesn't go anywhere - I guess I'm not allowed to call that "misstated", huh? LOL!

Yes, the - CT'er love to post incorrect or out-of-date information. Nice attempt to cover themselves ahead of time. Hilarious!

The other link is to out-dated information. It's been brought up so often, it has it's own "Lie Number", LOL. Yes, the self-appointed CT Rep was a real clairvoyant, to predict that someone would point this out, yet again. The full story is here: https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/g...efenders-post-so-many-lies-here.html#post3773.

If you want to see some up-to-date and accurate information, check out this thread. 15 or 16 links - and they all should still be working, LOL!

By the way, if you want to see the full list of the dozens of lies the self-appointed CT Rep routinely posts, check out this link:
https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/g...efenders-post-so-many-lies-here.html#post3772

Happy reading!

CT Me / Lawguy

Yes that's right folks, welcome to CanadianTiresucks.net
where customers get to select their own warranty and returns policies.

Don't like the 2 year warranty, make it 4.
Lost your receipt? No problem, you can return it for cash. You say so
Spent 2 grand on a lawn tractor and can't get it to start? Don't have it checked my a professional for spark plug or air filter maintenance, bring it back to the store, you get a new one on the spot. it's only been 3 years, and it's covered for 4.

CTH8R

The CT people sure do get confused easily, now don't they?

Consumers have been writing about return policies, and somehow the CT'ers go off on a tangent about manufacturer's warranties. Seems to happen a lot with them!

I think it's built into their thinking - CT is the only Canadian retailer we've seen, who try to make some kind of strange connection between the two, when dealing with defective products.

(Heck, if they want to tie their return policies to the phases of the moon, that's their business. Just as long as they are honest and truthful about it, and abide by the law - that shouldn't be too much for us to ask for, now should it?)

Fortunately for consumers, we are able to be clear on the 'subtle' difference between a store policy, and a manufacturer's warranty. I guess that's because we shop at other stores - hopefully more and more, as we learn that CT has the crappiest policies out there.

For more details on defective items (and the laws regarding consumer's right for refunds and exchanges) see the links at https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/g...aints-chat/707-sale-goods-act-6.html#post3613.

CT Challenger

Lets not lose focus:

1 - CT has the worst policies among major Canadian retailers for the return of “unwanted” items. Most will take back open packages, and even used items. Instead of informing consumers of these changed policies, the signs and web site say, “Easy Returns – Keep Your Receipt”, and say you have 90 day.

2 – CT stores may not follow the written policy, and may require all items be “unusued”, even though this isn’t on the web site or receipt. These stores may not have posted any notices about this additional requirement.

3 – CT stores may insist that all items must be “unopened”, even though this is listed on the web site as an “exception”, and these stores may not have posted any notices about this being the rule for all items they sell.

Angry CT Guy

Lets not lose focus:

1 - CT has the worst policies among major Canadian retailers for the return of “unwanted” items. Most will take back open packages, and even used items. Instead of informing consumers of these changed policies, the signs and web site say, “Easy Returns – Keep Your Receipt”, and say you have 90 day.

2 – CT stores may not follow the written policy, and may require all items be “unusued”, even though this isn’t on the web site or receipt. These stores may not have posted any notices about this additional requirement.

3 – CT stores may insist that all items must be “unopened”, even though this is listed on the web site as an “exception”, and these stores may not have posted any notices about this being the rule for all items they sell.

Correct....the try me out store is not CT. The borrow it for the weekend store is not CT. The use it and return it store is not CT. The lie and say it's defective because you no longer want it store is not CT. The I didn't follow the directions and broke it, so I want to return it store is not CT. The I ripped the packaging to shit and want to return it store is not CT.
Yes folks, when you want to purchase used items, please go to Walmart. LoL!

CT Challenger

We've been through this before.

And we've heard the CT vulagrity before, too. Nice way to represent their business, LOL!

No consumers have said they want to just borrow things for the weekend. Everyone agreed that consumers should not do this.

(This is just a way for CT to dodge the issue of their poor policies, which they don't even follow.)

No consumers have said they should get a refund or exchange if they didn't follow directions and broke something.

(This is just a way for CT to dodge the issue of their poor policies, which they don't even follow.)

No consumers have said they should be able to damage the packaging, then change their mind.

But every other major retailer wants their customers to be satisifed. CT doesn't care about their customers, clearly.

CT is really just the "we have your money and don't want to give it back" store.

And they'll say just about anything to get their way.

That's fine, as long as the stores clearly state their polices, and then stick to them.

But CT doesn't do that. They hide their policies, then fail to even follow them.

Don't forget: CT has the worst policies among major retailers.

No matter how hard they try to justify themselves.

CT Challenger

You might want to create a thread about coupons in US Walmarts.

But this thread is about returing unwanted goods in Canadian Tire.

Just sayin'.

Guest-0515

The way i read that is actually a retraction of previous statements made by ct haters. It has been stated over and over that "consumers are entitled to a refund by law" - and now thank you for posting the truth which is a retailer does NOT have to offer a refund by law. Thanks for your clarification and honesty. it's about time

It's unfortunate that shortly thereafter you've chosen to embelish some findings, and speculation
"Treat EVERYONE like a criminal" - yes every return at every store every day. --
"routinely viewed as liars by staff and Management" lol routinely? yes we put that in our employee handbooks. nobody is honest, treat them all like liars.
"borrow it for the weekend store" - Happens about twice a week in most stores. reality. Prime example a guy came in yesterday morning, bought a pipe wrench and a couple of fittings. Was back in 2 hours, said he didn't need the wrench to do the job and asked for his cash back. Despite the fact there was marks on the wrench including a bit of paint likely from the old pipe, and galvined shavings from what he had bought. - It happens and we protect ourselves from it. Don't blame us because roughly one in 1000 consumers does something crooked.

This would mean that 999 people pay the price becuase of 1 person. This sounds like communism. New name - Canadain Communist Tire