CT Challenger

So, how do Costco’s return policies compare to Crappy Tire’s, for unwanted/unsatisfactory items?

The Costco policies for unwanted/unsatisfactory items are taken from this site: Costco Merchandise Returns

Packaging: Not required, but they “ask that you return (it) … in the original packaging”.

(Does not need to be “in its original condition” like Crappy Tire.)

Minimum Time: 90 days (electronics)

(76 days longer than at Crappy Tire.)

Maximum Time: No limit given. Up to a year is commonly reported.

(Much longer than Crappy Tire’s 90 days.)

Personal Information Required: Yes (using membership information).

(Same as Crappy Tire.)

Other Limitations:
- Membership is required.
- Customers must show their receipt when leaving the store.

(Nothing has to be “unused” or “unopened”.)

Other Benefits:
- Free “Concierge” technical support for use and setup.

Summary:
- Costco is better than Crappy Tire on every criteria, except that Costco also needs Personal Information (which is already on file).
- None of Crappy Tire’s other limitations are present.
- The main limitation is the need for a membership, and to show your receipt when leaving.

- Overall: these policies and benefits are vastly superior to Crappy Tire, but require memebership.

CT Challenger

Let’s have a look at Walmart Canada’s return policies for unwanted/unsatisfactory items.

The following summary is based on this site: Customer Service / Return Policy - Walmart Canada - Save Money Live Better

Packaging: “… along with all original ... packaging”.

(Does not to be in the original packaging, as Crappy Tire requires.)

Minimum Time: 14 days (some electronics).

(For some electronics, this is the same as Crappy Tire, but many electronic items can be returned in 30 days, which is better than Crappy Tire.)

Maximum Time: 90 days.

(Same as Crappy Tire. However, trees and shrubs are 1 year, which is much better than Crappy Tire.)

Personal Information Required: No.

(Crappy Tire requires it.)

Other Limitations:
- Digital media and ink must be returned unopened.

(Same as Crappy Tire.)

Other Benefits:

- None.

(The policy at Walmart is at least as good as the ‘benefits’ you might get from a lenient Crappy Tire.)

Summary:

- Walmart is better than Crappy Tire on almost every criteria.
- For other criteria, Walmart is at least as good as Crappy Tire.

CT Challenger

What are Home Depot Canada's policies, for unwanted/unsatisfactory items?

The following is based on this site: Return Policy | Home Depot Canada

Packaging: No special requirements (even for on-line purchases, the site only says, “Use the original packaging or a strong corrugated carton.”)

(Does not need to be in the original packaging, as Crappy Tire requires.)

Minimum Time: 30 days (gasoline-powered equipment. Not listed on this web site, but this information is available in stores. )

(Crappy Tire has a minimum of 14 days.)

Maximum Time: 90 days.

(Same as Crappy Tire, but it can be opened, used, and without packaging.)

Personal Information Required: No, not required. “The Home Depot reserves the right to request valid identification prior to accepting merchandise for a return.”

Other Limitations:
- None.

(Crappy Tire has additonal limitations.)

Other Benefits:
- None.

(The policy at Home Depot is at least as good as the ‘benefits’ you might get from a Crappy Tire store that might be more lenient than others.)

Summary:

- Home Depot is far better than Crappy Tire on almost every criteria.
- For other criteria, Home Depot is at least as good as Crappy Tire.

CT Challenger

Yet another customer discovered the truth about Crappy Tire's policy for unsatisfactory products: if it's been used, you own it.

This customer found out the hard way that the Crappy Policy is "... drastically different than all other major stores".

It's impressive that they devoted their valuable time to educate their fellow-consumers, "so that others are spared from this experience and potential loss of ability to obtain a full cash refund."

CambridgeTimes Article: Time to review refund policies

I assume the Crappy People will offer up the usual lame excuse: it is up to all consumers to stop by Customer Service before they make any purchases, to find out the real policies that will apply to each item.

Sadly, consumers are still incorrectly assuming that Crappy Tire is like all the other stores, and will stand behind what they sell.

Yes, consumers have to learn to apply the adage "Buyer Beware" each time they venture into a Crappy Tire store.

I also expect the Crappy People will claim that this unlucky consumer should have devoted sufficient research effort prior to purchasing a simple dehumidifier, so that they would have fully understood every mode of operation, and thus known that the fan operates continuously.

Yes, Crappy People are fond of blaming consumers for every problem that arises.

Well, we are sorry for what you went through, Cambridge Consumer!

But thanks for helping get the word out!

Well done!

Angry CT Guy

Posted by an unregistered user
Yet another customer discovered the truth about Crappy Tire's policy for unsatisfactory products: if it's been used, you own it.

This customer found out the hard way that the Crappy Policy is "... drastically different than all other major stores".

It's impressive that they devoted their valuable time to educate their fellow-consumers, "so that others are spared from this experience and potential loss of ability to obtain a full cash refund."

I assume the Crappy People will offer up the usual lame excuse: it is up to all consumers to stop by Customer Service before they make any purchases, to find out the real policies that will apply to each item.

Sadly, consumers are still incorrectly assuming that Crappy Tire is like all the other stores, and will stand behind what they sell.

Yes, consumers have to learn to apply the adage "Buyer Beware" each time they venture into a Crappy Tire store.

I also expect the Crappy People will claim that this unlucky consumer should have devoted sufficient research effort prior to purchasing a simple dehumidifier, so that they would have fully understood every mode of operation, and thus known that the fan operates continuously.

Well done!

returns | Sears Canada

Unused....nothing new here.

Home Hardware - Terms & Conditions

Unused...been posted lots.

Angry CT Guy

Target.com - Furniture, Baby, Toys, Electronics, Gifts, Video Games

Unused....I'm sure they will change their corporate policy to appease faker advocate when they come to Canada...LOL.

Buy something and don't like it? No problem....classified ads, eBay, craigslist, penny saver....you have lots of options.

With tens of thousands of customers every day, lots of retailers understand that they can't meet everyones expectations to quality and performance. Luckily, the vast majority have realistic expectations. Ie. If you pick the $100.00 version over the $300.00 version, it won't have the same performance as the latter.

3 retailers posted have figured it out, do you need more examples?

Hilarious!

CT Me / Lawguy

Well done!

Interpretation:

Customer service girl did her job, followed the rules, informed the customer, summoned a Manager when asked.
Manager refunded money to customer as she requested.

What's the problem here? oh I know what the problem is.......you hate Canadian Tire so you ignore the part that says, she got her money back.

Oh and yes...if you have questions about warranty or returns............ASK!!!!

Angry CT Guy

Absolutely not!! People need to think for me! I will not decide for myself, you need to decide for me. It's your job and I am never responsible for my own decisions. Hilarious!

Guest-0276

Interpretation:

Customer service girl did her job, followed the rules, informed the customer, summoned a Manager when asked.
Manager refunded money to customer as she requested.

What's the problem here? oh I know what the problem is.......you hate Canadian Tire so you ignore the part that says, she got her money back.

Oh and yes...if you have questions about warranty or returns............ASK!!!!

No interpretation for "CT Easy returns " experience necessary.

The customer only mentions the hassle she's had at Canadian Tire and does not "hate".
Customer brings back equipment because it wasn't working as she had hoped. She gets a "no" from the returns desk woman. Then the customer has to repeat her story again to the manager.

Which brings me to my next point. She did her job "followed the rules". Interpretation, she turned off common sense and acted like a robot following the self serving CT rules to dissuade and deny returns of products that don't work to the satisfaction of the customer, so that the millionaire-every-afternoon-off-owners can keep our money, the customers money . What's wrong with this picture. How many of you were promised a cash refund but were tricked into a time limited store credit instead????

CT Me / Lawguy

No interpretation for "CT Easy returns " experience necessary.

The customer only mentions the hassle she's had at Canadian Tire and does not "hate".
Customer brings back equipment because it wasn't working as she had hoped. She gets a "no" from the returns desk woman. Then the customer has to repeat her story again to the manager.

Which brings me to my next point. She did her job "followed the rules". Interpretation, she turned off common sense and acted like a robot following the self serving CT rules to dissuade and deny returns of products that don't work to the satisfaction of the customer, so that the millionaire-every-afternoon-off-owners can keep our money, the customers money . What's wrong with this picture. How many of you were promised a cash refund but were tricked into a time limited store credit instead????

Read again
I said YOU hate Canadian Tire, and as such have made some additional comments about what went on, when you weren't there.

Secondly, the role of a customer service member is NOT to interpret the policy, they are black and white. If it says no return, she has to stick by the no return policy. Tha's when she escalates to a Manager who has authority that others don't. Just like whatever you do for a living, you don't have 100% authority for everything, somethings need to run up the chain. Question for you hot shot.... if there was something you were asked to do by a customer or co-worker that you knew was a policy violation and would cost you your job...as in fired, see you later, would you do it out of common sense? Nope...I guarantee you that you would go through the appropriate channels to get approval'"
That's exactly what she did

CT Me / Lawguy

Oh you mean ask like this couple did ask 3 employees before they bought from CT and were still given a major run-around!!!

https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/g...plaints-chat/785-ct-employees-rudeness-3.html

Correct. One scenario in one store with one customer does not mean it happens everytime someone asks about a waranty! I'm shocked constantly how thick you are. A couple of complainers about pressure washers, one about a plant and this is your ENTIRE view of Canadian Tire. I say that because you keep going back to the same two or three situations over and over and over. Blind leading the blind on here as far as I can tell. Blind hate that is

Guest-0276

Read again
I said YOU hate Canadian Tire, and as such have made some additional comments about what went on, when you weren't there.

Secondly, the role of a customer service member is NOT to interpret the policy, they are black and white. If it says no return, she has to stick by the no return policy. Tha's when she escalates to a Manager who has authority that others don't. Just like whatever you do for a living, you don't have 100% authority for everything, somethings need to run up the chain. Question for you hot shot.... if there was something you were asked to do by a customer or co-worker that you knew was a policy violation and would cost you your job...as in fired, see you later, would you do it out of common sense? Nope...I guarantee you that you would go through the appropriate channels to get approval'"
That's exactly what she did

Same old CT attitude painting everybody with the same brush. So is that why everybody has to show their ID's and why you record all their private information into your computers for returns and exchanges because you think your customers are thieves? Never mind, it's already been covered extensively.

So, by your tone, you're allowed to interpret but no one else is allowed???? Interesting that you had plenty to comment on but weren't there either. Also interesting that you had nothing to say about the other thread where customers did ask 3 employees before they bought and they still got screwed over and had their character dragged through the mud by the management of that store

As for you comparing me to your retail clerk structure LOL. hilarious. Maybe that's why she's worth every cent of minimum wage given that it's your business environment that would fire her for using "common sense" and have her " look up every little thing in a thick book " like a worthless drone.I answer to no one. Some of us grew up years ago and don't work in retail and have stopped following the chain of command decades ago, because we can and have made it on our own.

Guest-0276

Correct. One scenario in one store with one customer does not mean it happens everytime someone asks about a waranty! I'm shocked constantly how thick you are. A couple of complainers about pressure washers, one about a plant and this is your ENTIRE view of Canadian Tire. I say that because you keep going back to the same two or three situations over and over and over. Blind leading the blind on here as far as I can tell. Blind hate that is

Hey slow poke, you're the one in retail, not even in the top 20 list. Your day begins and ends with customers and screwing them over. Don't blame the customers and ex customers for speaking up on getting screwed over by folks like you day in and day out. Your bad reputation has existed for many decades. Is it any wonder why people know you as crappy tire and warn each other NOT to take their cars to you??? You're doing an excellent job of building on your notoriety. So a few bad experiences you say? LOL.Hilarious. Try thousands and thousands all over Canada.

CT Me / Lawguy

Same old CT attitude painting everybody with the same brush. So is that why everybody has to show their ID's and why you record all their private information into your computers for returns and exchanges because you think your customers are thieves? Never mind, it's already been covered extensively.

yes it's been covered extensively and you STILL don't get it. Drivers license information is NOT recorded. there is no place in the returns system to do it! We use drivers licenses in some cases to verify customer information (name address) when they have no receipt or are using a credit card. That information is readily available. Ever go to a bar? Guess what....some big bouncer at the door asks to view your ID as well! Is he stealing your personal information too you paranoid freak?

So, by your tone, you're allowed to interpret but no one else is allowed???? Interesting that you had plenty to comment on but weren't there either. Also interesting that you had nothing to say about the other thread where customers did ask 3 employees before they bought and they still got screwed over and had their character dragged through the mud by the management of that store

Actually I had lots to say about that issue in that thread. Character dragged through the mud? LOL holy exxagerate much. I agree, based on what we are being told that they may not have received the best information, leading to some confusion but my policy is the same, no cash refund on plants. period.

As for you comparing me to your retail clerk structure LOL. hilarious. Maybe that's why she's worth every cent of minimum wage given that it's your business environment that would fire her for using "common sense" and have her " look up every little thing in a thick book " like a worthless drone.I answer to no one. Some of us grew up years ago and don't work in retail and have stopped following the chain of command decades ago, because we can and have made it on our own.

Way to miss the point.
Regardless of the job that you do and the related pay, the point is the point. If your job, your kids job, your neighbours job...any job, has rules and regulations attached to it. if he, she, you or i voilate those rules we are subject to discipline, some of which could include termination. I made it on my own too...and guess what I still have to follow the rules CTC sets out for my franchise or I get in trouble.

...and yes she has to look up stuff in a "thick book" which is actually a computer. With 18000 products, do you really expect someone, anyone to know the policy for every one of 18000 sku's? the contacts for them all in case a part needs to be ordered? the vendor phone number for any technical support? Oh that's right, we should know all of them top of mind. Come one, for a guy who "made it on his own decades ago" you really should have more realistic view and understanding of how things work

CT Me / Lawguy

Hey slow poke, you're the one in retail, not even in the top 20 list. Your day begins and ends with customers and screwing them over. Don't blame the customers and ex customers for speaking up on getting screwed over by folks like you day in and day out. Your bad reputation has existed for many decades. Is it any wonder why people know you as crappy tire and warn each other NOT to take their cars to you??? You're doing an excellent job of building on your notoriety. So a few bad experiences you say? LOL.Hilarious. Try thousands and thousands all over Canada.

Hey speedy, without retail, you'd be growing your own food, and your wife would be sewing your clothes from bulk fabric!!!

Again with the mystery Top 20 list hahah are you ever going to back up this top 20 claim? What is this top 20 list? who created it? what does it measure? Or is it just something you made up again'?

Our bad reputation has existed for many decades has it? So that claim would indicate one of several possibilities....
1) Millions of people that shop Canadian Tire are all wrong
2) Millions of people all have no other options for shopping and purchasing the goods they get from CT
3) All of these customers you claim are "getting screwed" day in day out simply don't care and enjoy being ripped off so they return to places they hate to shop
4) you're claims are grossly overstated

Why do our sales grow? Why do we add more stores? Why has our stock price doubled and outperformed home Depot, Lowes, Walmart in the last decade if our reputation is eroding according to your claim?

We've been known as Crappy Tire for years. Even by some of our most loyal customers it's a nickname, that carrys no weight. Just like Walmart is the MallWart, Lowes is known as The Low's and Home Depot referred to as Home Desperot
(desperate)

You are right about one thing....I'm in retail! Right now, mid afternoon i'm looking on my camera and see approximately 45 cars in the parking lot. Each one of those customers represents someone who chose to shop at Canadian Tire. Each one will make me some money, and each team member on the floor helping them is earning money for their lives. Yeah i'm in retail, so is my team...and if retail didn't exist, you'd be fucked!

Guest-0276

Drivers license information is NOT recorded. there is no place in the returns system to do it!

Name, address, phone number, birth date, sex etc...copied into your computer. All that readily available online and in the phone book as you claim? Bull shit! It aint. Again already covered and even your IT pro cable puller liar has even conceded that point. Why is that? Because land line usage is way down and has been replaced by cell phones. Cell numbers aint in phone books.

We use drivers licenses in some cases to verify customer information (name address) when they have no receipt or are using a credit card.
Bull, you no longer accept returns without receipts. You also require ID with receipts and TAKE our info from our ID's as well. Do you really think the clerk isn't copying our information into the computer as you claim because that's what you do thousands of times a day all over Canada.
Ever go to a bar? Guess what....some big bouncer at the door asks to view your ID as well!

What are you 19 and that slow? We all know they don't have computers at the door with the bouncer thumbing our info in

Actually I had lots to say about that issue in that thread. Character dragged through the mud? LOL holy exxagerate much.

Yes you did to the point where everything was misconstrued on CT's part and painted the customers as stupid, ignorant and overly aggressive for not knowing they couldn't get a cash refund on a credit card but were " smart enough" to get baited in for a cash refund and walk out with store credit instead, and toss the CT money at the clerk in front of security before heading out. Yeah I was on that thread too.

Don't need to know how a thing about your internal policies and operations to know that you really do treat the customers bad.

CT Me / Lawguy

Name, address, phone number, birth date, sex etc...copied into your computer. All that readily available online and in the phone book as you claim? Bull shit! It aint. Again already covered and even your IT pro cable puller liar has even conceded that point. Why is that? Because land line usage is way down and has been replaced by cell phones. Cell numbers aint in phone books.
There is not a field in the returns computer system to enter birth date or sex.... and etc does not cover anything. Customer information fields are limited to name phone number and address. Period. Nothing else goes into the computer. there's not even a spot to enter it if a clerk wanted to!

Bull, you no longer accept returns without receipts. You also require ID with receipts and TAKE our info from our ID's as well. Do you really think the clerk isn't copying our information into the computer as you claim because that's what you do thousands of times a day all over Canada.
I KNOW that the clerk is not copying the information into the computer beyond name and address. I know this because it simply isn't possible. NOT POSSIBLE, NO PLACE TO ENTER IT! Most stores accept returns without a receipt in the form of in store credit for last sale price. Although it is certainly not required, if its an unused item, most stores will accept it back to stock.

What are you 19 and that slow? We all know they don't have computers at the door with the bouncer thumbing our info in
missed again. Point was a bouncer looks at the ID and hands it back. Customer service does the same damn thing.
Yes you did to the point where everything was misconstrued on CT's part and painted the customers as stupid, ignorant and overly aggressive for not knowing they couldn't get a cash refund on a credit card but were " smart enough" to get baited in for a cash refund and walk out with store credit instead, and toss the CT money at the clerk in front of security before heading out. Yeah I was on that thread too.

Don't need to know how a thing about your internal policies and operations to know that you really do treat the customers bad.

I was not directly involved in the plant situation so I do not know what they were told. What I do know is that every store that i've either run or owned has not accepted plant returns for cash. dead or alive.

Here's what I know about how we treat customers. Long weekend Saturday (today) - I've been here for 6 hours. My General Manager is away this weekend and since i'm home for the weekend decided to be in the store. Through several hundred customers and $20,000 dollars of sales so far, there has not been a single call for a Manager to resolve a pricing issue, a warranty issue or a returns issue. Not one. That's pretty odd considering we have treated them all so poorly apparently.

Guest-0276

missed again. Point was a bouncer looks at the ID and hands it back. Customer service does the same damn thing.
No you tried to deceive again which was my point . Your returns desk does more than just look at customers ID for returns/ exchanges with receipt. You take the customers private information down.

Way to miss the point ...
No you missed my point on the returns. Somebody has a legitimate return and you want your toady manager to have the final say regardless of the situation. I wonder how many people are denied return legitimate and exchanges because of your "black and white no thinking required " policies.

Hey speedy, without retail...
Oh you're comparing yourselves to the good retailers now? Without BAD retailers like you, my wallet might be a tad thicker, the landfill less full of your crap, and 10's of thousands of car owners would get good repairs instead of bad ones and not have their lives at risk like the lady in the east coast who went through a red light after CT's bad brake jobs. She sued and won. Thousands more like me who feel the same way.

Come one, for a guy who "made it on his own decades ago" you really should have more realistic view and understanding of how things work
I still do know how the world works and because of that I don't buy into your self serving crap.