CTH8R

Icy Truck spam:

Brian C.A.: My mechanic said Walmart's batteries are better then Canadian Tire but when I needed a new battery I went to Napa Auto Parts !!

Lana R.: We can't even buy that battery in Sudbury, Ontario because Canadian Tire won't honor the warranty, "it's too cold" that they can't replace it if your car won't start the next day! I didn't buy it but stood in line for 20 minutes behind an older gentleman who had just night one the day before but was being told he just wasted his money, pathetic manager at the Hanmer location!

CTH8R

Icy Truck Spam:

Mike B.: i gave up on their crap batteries, they used to be good.

Joan L.: We just bought a new battery from Canadian Tire, and the car wouldn't start until the afternoon, when the sun shone on the front! I know we have had extremely cold weather, but according to this add, it really shouldn't matter!

CTH8R

Tire Spam:

William C.B.: yuppers I bought two batteries from them with a 30 month warranty and one is leaking battery acid but since my reciept is now worn out and illegible they are refusing to give me new battery or a refund, they did offer a reciept lookup but since I do not know the exact day and time I made the purchase they told me I was out of luck and should have taken better care of my reciept. On that trip I spent over $5000 outfitting my camper in the future I think I may go somewhere else since the customer service was awful and they refused to do the exchange or refund. I used to love this store my dad brought me there to shop all the time when I was a kid and I thought I would do the same with my kids, but now I am thinking that will not happen.

CTH8R

Peter D.: This is a really cool ice truck, but I am not sure what they are implying by this. Today I took my 2 year old Eliminator battery to the local Canadian tire because it was continually needing to be charged and has left me stranded without my car for several weeks now. I did have the 4 year replacement warranty however the service staff has seem to be able to determine the battery had been frozen somehow. I would have to agree since we have had some record cold this winter. Went on to tell me my warranty was VOID because it was frozen.... as I am standing next to a photo... of an ice truck... with an eliminator battery inside it. I honestly started to look around for cameras,thought I was on just for laughs. Basically told me I was out of luck and nothing can be done. I don't know who takes the batteries out of their cars at night and takes them inside the house with them on cold nights but that's news to me. In any case that's why I bought the warranty in case it did freeze or not work right. This is the second warranty related issue I have had at this location. Thanks so much to Canadian tire in West Saint John 855 Fairvale blvd. Your warranty is not worth the paper its printed on.

CTH8R

Another victim, who was charged tax, but didn't get it refunded. Extra profit for CT!

(I'm sure they will pass those profits on to consumers, in the form of Lower Prices, LOL!)

Mike L.: Hi CT, I have a big question. I bought a new car battery $110 in store plus I got charged $15 because I didn't turn over my old battery, and the total was $141.25 including tax. So after 2 days, I return the old battery to get my deposit back, but the cashier only refunded $15 and not $16.95. Cashier said because I didn't return it the same day, I will not get the $1.95 tax! Is she serious? Is that your policy? Imagine 100 customer not getting $1.95 then thats $195 pocketed by CT?

CTH8R

Lorrie C.: 2 batteries in 3 weeks from Canadian Tire - they really are crap! They don't warranty the battery - this has been a nightmare!

CTH8R

Lorrie C.: Getting battery #3- third one in one month; however, IT WON"T BE ANOTHER BATTERY FROM CANADIAN TIRE!!!!!

CTH8R

Cailee B.: Do not let Canadian tire install batteries for you. They tried to charge me $300 for a battery and an install. Then tried to tell me my alternator was gone, I said hell no and got a second opinion. The other guys said there was nothing wrong with my alternator. Lesson learned, and I won't be going back.

Last edited:

CTH8R

Cailee B.: Do not let Canadian tire install batteries for you. They tried to charge me $300 for a battery and an install. Then tried to tell me my alternator was gone, I said hell no and got a second opinion. The other guys said there was nothing wrong with my alternator. Lesson learned, and I won't be going back.
Like · Reply · Yesterday at 7:41pm

CTH8R

Oh, that ubiquitous Icy Truck!

Ryan V.: This battery is mediocre at best and the warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on.
I installed one in our 03 Monte Carlo which my wife uses for work. They advertise it as great for cold starts and high electrical load use and short trips with stop and go traffic which is exactly what my wife does with it. Well on her last 4 days off we didn't drive the car and it sat in the driveway plugged in at -20 to -30 temps. Wouldn't start on fifth day when she went to go to work so I called The corporate office and was shuffled to customer care where I was told I neglected the battery and it may have froze.
REALLY???????
How do you stop a battery from freezing in Saskatchewan in January?
The neglect apparently occurred because we left the car sitting for a "period of time" (which is not specified in the warranty) and not fully charged (how would you know if its fully charged, not like there is a light or buzzer in ANY vehicle telling you that).
The point is that I bought a specific product that is advertised to do a specific job and Canadian Tire hides behind the word "neglect". I guess I'm just another sucker that bought into corporate advertising.

Ryan V.: No case number provided as of yet. I left a message at the north Albert street Regina location with the service/parts manager who says on the message manager he will call back by days end...that was three days ago and I haven't heard back from corporate. This is now the third battery in the last 2 years that you folks won't honor the warranty on because of my "neglect". This is ridiculous.

CTH8R

James B.: you know whats great a policy that you pay tax on a deposit for a battery. bring the old one in the next day and they keep your tax you paid on the deposit. smells fishy canadian tire

CTH8R

What to expect after buying a Motomaster Eliminator battery:

Rick P.: I have a motomaster eliminator battery I do not have the reciepit for it but it has a June 2010 sticker on it is there anything I can do as it is dead and will not hold a charge. I noticed that the sides are expanded out? Please let me know as this is for my summer car that I am trying to get ready for my wedding

Canadian Tire Hi Rick. Unfortunately, returns, exchanges or warranties on an item without a receipt may not be accepted. For more information on our return policies, please follow this link Returns | Canadian Tire. Thank you.

Rick P.: Well that sucks I guess it is off to walmart and stop supporting Canadian tire for a battery that they should last longer than 4 years . Thanks for nothing ... At least you answered. I will make sure I tell everyone how helpful you were.

CTH8R

Bobby O.: Hey Rick if you buy an East Penn battery from NAPA next time you will NEVER need a receipt if you run into trouble. All you need is the battery itself and you won't have issues anyway because they aren't crap like the motormaster one you bought. And Canadian Tire knows this because they are just going to delete this message again like the other ones!!! Lol what a bunch of jokes they are

CTH8R

Manny B.: Too many complaints to allow me to post and complain about the supposed warrantied battery I purchased two weeks ago that won't hold a proper charge. They tested it and said it passed but is lower than should be. But they can't replace it?????

CTH8R

Manny B.: Too many complaints to allow me to post and complain about the supposed warrantied battery I purchased two weeks ago that won't hold a proper charge. They tested it and said it passed but is lower than should be. But they can't replace it?????

Owner 1

You know, as I was scrubbing through your crappy forums this week it occured to me that there's been a major shift in tone of your lunatic rantings and ravings on here.

There has been a significant absence of your usual postings of "worst return policy among major retailers, illegal repair and warranty policies"

Then it hit me, maybe you've finally clued in that we all have pretty much the same policies, and in fact the 90 days with a receipt is better then most who have not tailored back to 30 days. Also worth a mention that you were proven that our repair policy is in fact legal and you were WRONG!!!

hahahah so all you have left now is a small fraction of a small percentage of our daily customers who post something on facebook.

You suck! canadiantiresucks.net .... sucks

will i am

And ... Rick responded to the bogus justification for this scam:

Rick R.: I'm sorry. I have to disagree with your premise for a badly constructed policy. The store posts a sign clearly stating the price is the effective price with the core returned. This means HST is not charged on the core. If I had brought a dead battery with me, I would not be taxed on the core. So I am being charged a fictitious tax penalty because I bring my dead battery back when I can drive my car to the store. The net result is not the same if I bring my core with me versus bringing it later. The core charge is a deposit. Not a sale. Besides I am a business. The battery was sold to my business and the store people did not ask me whether I collect and remit HST which I do. So that is a second policy failure. This battery policy has more holes than Swiss cheese!

In reply to this, and any other parts in which a core charge applies. I went to purchase a caliper for my truck, when i got there the parts person informed me if i brought my caliper back after that i would not get the tax back on the core which worked out to $10.01. I said i did not agree but went and took my caliper off first. When i returned to the store with my old part ready to purchase the new one i looked at my reciept, and heres what i read caliper $169.99 , brake fluid $6.49, casting (core return) -$77.00, subtotal (before taxes) $99.48. Perfect... except for the next line on the receipt which is 13%HST $22.94. Clearly the are still charging you the tax even if you bring in the old part at the time of purchase. I complained the staff who said "Were sorry there is nothing we can do, if you don't like it shop somewhere else. I said give me my money back and i will, which took 1?2 hour for them to figure out how to refund my mastercard. So I decided to check my battery reciept from 03/14/2013 and wouldnt you know it... , i was charged back then for the taxs on the core even when i brought in my batter at the time of sale. This is outright theft and this has been going on for almost 2 yrs at this store. *** I URGE EVERYONE TO CHECK THERE RECIEPTS *** and demand your money back.

CTH8R

Kevin F.: I will not shop at Canadian Tire for service again. Needed a new truck battery.. (simple enough) went to CT...price seemed reasonable for battery...didn't have time to do the change myself, so I got them to do it. Imagine my surprise to find that they charged me $70 plus tax to loosen one bolt and two terminal screw-downs!
Excuse? "It took longer than expected" Ummmm...no!!
Not sure the deal but I know in the U.S. ...Walmart installs it's store purchased auto batteries for free.I should have known better not to trust their monkey business! Changing batteries is not the work of a certified mechanic but yet CT thinks that we should pay for it like it is. Ridiculous!!