vin-man

My experience...

August 2nd 2011, I took my 2002 explorer to get two new tires installed on the rear. When talking with the service supervisor, the person who booked my order, I specified 235/70r16. He took my vehicle ownership info, made the work order, and told me the price. I questioned him on why the price was different than i expected? He replied that i saw the "starting from" price and since my size was bigger it cost more. I re-itterated that i thought there was a problem and he re-assured me he was correct. I took his word for it, signed the order, waited for the tire change, paid, and left.

Driving through the city was fine, but when I entered the highway the vehicle started to vibrate and the 4x4 transfer case sounded like it was going to explode and tear out of the truck. I pulled over and inspected things and all seemed ok. Tried again with same thing. Drove 30km home at about 30km/hr (did not happen at the slower speed) on shoulder and looked at the vehicle again. This is when I noticed they put 255/70r16 tires on. My explorer is always in auto mode and can't be turned off so when it detected slip between the front and back tires at the faster speeds, because the front tires are spinning faster than the back, it continually tried to engage in 4x4.

I called the store and the supervisor who put in the w.o stated that he installed the correct size tire and that someone else must have previosly changed the tire size. No apollogy. He said that if i took the tires off myself and brought them in he would change for tire size i wanted. Thats what I did. When I got to the store the supervisor approached me right away and said that he could only re-install my old tires and refund my money. Remember he has cost me an extra trip to town and did who knows what kind of damage to my transfer case. No apollogy. Instead he denies that I even asked for 235/70r16 size and that it is not the correct size, so he would have origionally refused me the service if that were true...so now I'm a liar whith a damaged truck.

Out of options I go home and re-install my old tires. I look at the sticker inside my drivers door and it clearly states the tire size to be as I instructed. Now I'm really upset. A wasted afternoon, a damaged transfer case, no tires, and I was labelled a liar in front of other customers.

I called the service manager and he supported his supervisor. Finally he put me on hold and checked the internet and sure enough found a discrepancy in the system and in fact I WAS CORRECT.

He offered no apollogies, laughed that there may be damage to my truck, but would install the tires if i went back again and give me a $50 gift card.

I called the customer service hotline and it is currently in their hands. The operator stated that there would be NO MONETARY RESOLUTION, free tires, or compensation. They may asses the complaint and respond with performing an ispection of the transfer case but they have to fully review my complaint. I am currently waiting a return phone call to determine if there will be resolution.

This was the REGENT ST south-end location in Sudbury Ontario. BEWARE...Stay away from this store!!!

Angry CT Guy

Posted by an unregistered user
My experience...

August 2nd 2011, I took my 2002 explorer to get two new tires installed on the rear. When talking with the service supervisor, the person who booked my order, I specified 235/70r16. He took my vehicle ownership info, made the work order, and told me the price. I questioned him on why the price was different than i expected? He replied that i saw the "starting from" price and since my size was bigger it cost more. I re-itterated that i thought there was a problem and he re-assured me he was correct. I took his word for it, signed the order, waited for the tire change, paid, and left.

Driving through the city was fine, but when I entered the highway the vehicle started to vibrate and the 4x4 transfer case sounded like it was going to explode and tear out of the truck. I pulled over and inspected things and all seemed ok. Tried again with same thing. Drove 30km home at about 30km/hr (did not happen at the slower speed) on shoulder and looked at the vehicle again. This is when I noticed they put 255/70r16 tires on. My explorer is always in auto mode and can't be turned off so when it detected slip between the front and back tires at the faster speeds, because the front tires are spinning faster than the back, it continually tried to engage in 4x4.

I called the store and the supervisor who put in the w.o stated that he installed the correct size tire and that someone else must have previosly changed the tire size. No apollogy. He said that if i took the tires off myself and brought them in he would change for tire size i wanted. Thats what I did. When I got to the store the supervisor approached me right away and said that he could only re-install my old tires and refund my money. Remember he has cost me an extra trip to town and did who knows what kind of damage to my transfer case. No apollogy. Instead he denies that I even asked for 235/70r16 size and that it is not the correct size, so he would have origionally refused me the service if that were true...so now I'm a liar whith a damaged truck.

Out of options I go home and re-install my old tires. I look at the sticker inside my drivers door and it clearly states the tire size to be as I instructed. Now I'm really upset. A wasted afternoon, a damaged transfer case, no tires, and I was labelled a liar in front of other customers.

I called the service manager and he supported his supervisor. Finally he put me on hold and checked the internet and sure enough found a discrepancy in the system and in fact I WAS CORRECT.

He offered no apollogies, laughed that there may be damage to my truck, but would install the tires if i went back again and give me a $50 gift card.

I called the customer service hotline and it is currently in their hands. The operator stated that there would be NO MONETARY RESOLUTION, free tires, or compensation. They may asses the complaint and respond with performing an ispection of the transfer case but they have to fully review my complaint. I am currently waiting a return phone call to determine if there will be resolution.

This was the REGENT ST south-end location in Sudbury Ontario. BEWARE...Stay away from this store!!!

That is a horrible experience and I won't make light of it. Out of curiosity (I'm at another store), what would be a reasonable resolution to your bad experience? If I was ever in a similar situation I would like to know the expectation from your point of view that would make it right.

vin-man

For starters, how about a transfer case mileage warranty for repair at the shop of my choice should it stop working say within the next 20000km!!! Since I have not had one spec of trouble with it since purchasing it in 2004...I would think that a little ownership regarding this mistake be the minimum. Nothing needs to happen at this time except maybe recieving a written letter stating that should the xfer case fail...CT will be responsible to pay for the damages in a very timely manner! I am not someone looking for a hand-out, NOR am I some-one who wants to be mistreated! Compensation for my three trips to town and a wasted day-off of misery would be appreciated though. I am a tradesman myself....my time at work is worth $36/hr @8hrs plus travel and gas ...lets seee...then again...CT charges what???80/hr???

This situation is not about a return policy or consumer fraud! How about the two losers looking after that dept be held accountable for such poor service. If CT Corps wont hold their privately owned stores and subsequent employees accountable for good service ...who will? Maybe Better Business Bureau??? I know that if I performed a bad electrical install and some-one or thing was hurt or damaged...my liscence would be in question!

vin-man

Oh... I noticed that other posts have been responded to by CT employees as well...I wonder if this site is like a fly trap to try and minimize customer complaints floating around the internet. I'm going to be busy...Facebook, twitter, newspaper blogs... and lots to say!!! :)

C

CT Manager

If something does happen to the transfer case, pursue legal action. The store will settle quickly. If it were me, I'd warrant the transfer case like you requested. I'd get a toe truck to bring the vehicle back to the shop, I'd ensure the right tires are put on, and we'd take care of all costs involved.

That service writer wouldn't last long with me. 3 trips back and forth indicates that you're an honest customer who has a legitimate concern.

Half, or more, of the problems I see on this website is due to incompetent management who aren't looking at the big picture.

CTH8R

Isn't it nice to know that there's an anonymous person out there, who says he runs a store (but won’t say which one), and who claims to be such a great and helpful guy!

Too bad we’ll never know which of the 400 odd stores this possibly-fictitious "Manager" might work at.

So, we’ll just have to play it safe, and avoid them all … but especially 2259 Regent St, Sudbury, ON.