dluk

I have a story, I will post what I have now on hands, and update once more information is available.

My mother had her oil changed in CT. All good and well.

She came there to get her brakes checked just over a month later - Canadian Tire found transmission fluid contamination in the brake cylinder. We then went to an official Toyota shop to get a second opinion, and got a quote for over 5000$ in repair. The contamination basically destroys every single rubber O-ring and seal in the breaks.

We went back to CT. The Auto Dept. manager looked at some papers, and brought us a list of what they did and said that they didn't add any fluid to the brakes, and that the brakes were fine when they checked them during the oil change. We haven't brought the car to any other place since the CT service. My mother is an accountant, and doesn't even know how to open the hood, let alone pour transmission fluid in.

I will update as soon as I there is any development.

dluk

We went to speak to the store manager today, and he tried saying that the brakes fluid must have been contaminated before they serviced the car. When we showed him proof that they looked at the brakes fluid (I asked for the copy from the automotive manager during the previous visit), he started saying that we can't prove that they put the transmission fluid in the car, and with a big smile on his face, like he just got rid of a nuisance.

I am calling their corporate today, and we will see what they have to say.

I was absolutely polite, courteous, and was treated like a fool and imbecile. I will not stand for it.

dluk

I called the CT customer center (1-800-387-8803) and launched a complaint there, and am waiting for a call back.

I also called the Alberta Motor Vehicle Industry Council (AMVIC for short, they deal with administering and enforcing automotive industry regulations under Alberta’s Fair Trading Act.), and talked to them. They asked me to send them all relative documents and a statement by e-mail. If they find that there is something for them to go on, they will launch an investigation.

I will keep working in both directions, and I hope to find a resolution.

CT Challenger

I called the CT customer center (1-800-387-8803) and launched a complaint there, and am waiting for a call back.

I also called the Alberta Motor Vehicle Industry Council (AMVIC for short, they deal with administering and enforcing automotive industry regulations under Alberta’s Fair Trading Act.), and talked to them. They asked me to send them all relative documents and a statement by e-mail. If they find that there is something for them to go on, they will launch an investigation.

I will keep working in both directions, and I hope to find a resolution.

Good luck with your complaint!

Let us know what works and what doesn't - plenty of others have reported damage and loss due to Crappy Tire's negligence.

dluk

I got nowhere with the Canadian Tire. They keep insisting that the brakes would stop working within 2 days if they are contaminated, and the fact that there was no change in performance over a month after the service they gave me led them to believe that I either contaminated the brakes myself, or at some other place that I have brought my car too within two days of bringing it to them.

I am proceeding with the car repair, and will be taking the matter to court against the store that I received the dreaded service from.

I asked the car mechanics to keep as much of replaced parts as possible to be used as evidence if I need it, as well as a sample of the contaminated brakes fluid. I also requested they do a test run with the vehicle to show that the brakes have not deteriorated even after another month of the car sitting in the shop.

I am compiling the documents and will file in small claims.

CT Challenger

I got nowhere with the Canadian Tire.

That's unfortunate, but not surprising.

When something similar happened to me, I got some good advice from CAA (I was a member), and got the repairs done for free.

You might want to search CanLII - Canadian Legal Information Institute for similar cases. The hard part is proving that Crappy Tire were the ones who caused the damage.

Thanks for warning people about the crappy service you received, and for the progress reports!

Guest-0533

Posted by an unregistered user
ahh another day goes by and only one poster, same guy, here on this "consumer advocate site"
and another day goes by and my sales were up 25% over last year.

Keep up the good work consumers. YOu're "getting the word out" lol

you fail

dluk

Thank you for pointing me towards CANLII, I found some really useful information there.

We decided not to pursue AMVIC. They mediate between the two parties in the matter, and I personally contacted the store with all the facts - and was told to beat it. If one of the parties is unwilling to negotiate at all (the store in this matter), then mediation is useless. We will just go straight to court, whose decision actually has binding power.

CT Challenger

Thank you for pointing me towards CANLII, I found some really useful information there.

We decided not to pursue AMVIC. They mediate between the two parties in the matter, and I personally contacted the store with all the facts - and was told to beat it. If one of the parties is unwilling to negotiate at all (the store in this matter), then mediation is useless. We will just go straight to court, whose decision actually has binding power.

No problem - glad it helped.

Would you be willing to post some links to cases you found useful? It would helpful to others who are in your shoes.

(Get it? "Brakes - Shoes"?)

Angry CT Guy

So AMVIC wouldn't support you? Interesting. Please post the link to your successful court case when completed.

dluk

This case is very similar to mine, against Wal-Mart.

CanLII - 2003 SKPC 106 (CanLII)

The plaintiff "have failed to discharge the legal burden of proof needed to establish liability on the part of the defendant."

I think we have a case though, since out situation if different from the one mentioned above. I will post here once after any more development in the case.

It's not that AMVIC wouldn't help me, and I am still planning to file a complaint with them, and I am hoping to get CT's licenses revoked with their help. AMVIC doesn't have legislative power to make CT pay for the repair, and would still tell me to go to court.

Angry CT Guy

This case is very similar to mine, against Wal-Mart.

CanLII - 2003 SKPC 106 (CanLII)

The plaintiff "have failed to discharge the legal burden of proof needed to establish liability on the part of the defendant."

I think we have a case though, since out situation if different from the one mentioned above. I will post here once after any more development in the case.

It's not that AMVIC wouldn't help me, and I am still planning to file a complaint with them, and I am hoping to get CT's licenses revoked with their help. AMVIC doesn't have legislative power to make CT pay for the repair, and would still tell me to go to court.

I thought you said that you had already contacted AMVIC. Yes, keep us in the loop.

Guest-0584

So AMVIC wouldn't support you? Interesting. Please post the link to your successful court case when completed.

There's always some anti-consumer a-hole on here, trying to make things worse for Crappy Tire's victims.

Nice going, jerks.

Yes, I do indeed hope dluk gets some satisfaction from yet another Crappy Tire rip-off.