wadtur

I never will buy anything from CT other than maybe dish soap,garbage bags,etc. They have lost a lot of business from me because of one particular incident that really shocked me.
We had bought two Coleman double-height queen air matresses from them (which are not cheap). One of them leaked after a few months which was replaced under warranty no problem but when the second one leaked still in warranty, we happened to be going by the store so we bought another one as we needed it for guests that weekend.
When we went to return the defective one, we were told that we could only get another one on exchange as per the warranty policy. We explained that we had already purchased the replacement and had the receipt and we don't need 3 of them.
We asked for a store credit and they said okay but it could only be used towards another air mattress!
I called customer service in Toronto and their response was "each store is entitled to their own return policy" and I also wrote to the store manager/owner and got no response.
As far as I am concerned Canadian Tire is the worst store I have ever dealt with and avoid them as much as possible.
Costco and Home Depot are far more consumer friendly and get the bulk of my business.

guest1993

Not true. Store credits may be used towards any merchandise in the store. What should've been done was a refund for the new ones you purchased and an exchange for the second old one which was leaking.

DavidLeR

Count yourself lucky that you go any satisfaction at all on the first inflatable mattress.

Crappy Tire sell many products with "no warranty", including inflatable items. That means Crappy Tire won't even send it out for repair, if it's defective. You are stuck with a dud - to bad, so sad. See this thread:

https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/g...warranty-no-refund-no-exchange-no-repair.html

If the mattress instead had the better (but still awful) "repair only" policy, then Crappy Tire would at least help you get it fixed, but they could still refused to even exchange it. So, you lucked out on the first one.

See this thread for details: https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/g...pair-only-warranty-no-refund-no-exchange.html

Instead, you caught a break (sort of) and they only imposed the "exchange only" policy on this product, so at least you could get a second on that inflates.

If you really want to push for a refund, one the basis that they sold you a defective product, have a look at this thread:

https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/general-canadian-tire-complaints-chat/707-sale-goods-act.html

But consumers report having to sue the store to get their refunds - might not be worth the costs.

Next time: shop somewhere else, where their policy is to stand behind what they sell!

Luckily, every other major retailer has better policies!

Last edited:

Owner 1

Ahh the return of old friend DavidLER - welcome back
I see you were on the wrong end of many a consumer argument over at RedFlagDeals. Ran your scamming ways over there out of leverage and came back to here?

Unfortunately for you, only two members remain. Say Hello to H8R & Challenger. They will be your only support.

CT Challenger

Not true. Store credits may be used towards any merchandise in the store. What should've been done was a refund for the new ones you purchased and an exchange for the second old one which was leaking.

Really? You are 100% confident about that, are you?

You've checked with every single one of the 487 or so stores, to make sure they NEVER limit the merchandise on a store credit?

And you've checked with every single returns clerk at every store?

No, I think you are just making up crap.

Besides, many customers have reported the same experience.

I'll believe them over you, any day of the week.

Thanks for sharing, though!

guest1993

Actually CT Challenger I haven't checked all the store but I'm sure even if I did, you still wouldn't believe me. In the store I work at this is the case. Please private message me if you want to know the location of the store and our policies, I would be more than happy to help you, anyone for that matter.

CTH8R

Actually CT Challenger I haven't checked all the store but I'm sure even if I did, you still wouldn't believe me. In the store I work at this is the case. Please private message me if you want to know the location of the store and our policies, I would be more than happy to help you, anyone for that matter.

Hah! So you "haven't checked ALL the store", huh?

That's quite a confession! Didn't see THAT one comin', LOL!

So, exactly how many stores HAVE you checked? 50? 20? 10?

Wait: have you checked even ONE other store????

Yet you want to speak for the whole CHAIN, huh?

No, not very convincing, I'm afraid!

But you are right about at least one thing:

Nobody is going to believe anything you say after this! Ha-ha!

guest1993

So, now I don't know anything? Real great approach to things, to belittle me when all I'm trying to do is help you out. That's fine, everyone is entitled to their opinions, if you don't want to shop at a store you don't have to, no one is forcing you to. I would however still like to meet you people in person, just to get a good look at the big scary men bullying people trying to help off this website. Hiding behind a computer is no way to live your life. I may work for a crappy store but I can still say I tried to improve the customer service situation with customers and was simply brushed off. But then again, "I know nothing" right?

CT_CS

I must say, unless CT Challenger has checked THE ENTIRE CHAIN, you have no right to mark him wrong either, in location that I have worked at, a store credit is given and can be used on any merchandise in that store (only) just as guest1993 had said

CT Challenger

I tried to improve the customer service situation with customers and was simply brushed off.

Really? You tried to help, did you?

Well, let’s look at your track record, shall we?

A consumer wrote:

We asked for a store credit and they said okay but it could only be used towards another air mattress!

You jumped right in and ‘tried to help’ by writing:

Not true. Store credits may be used towards any merchandise in the store.

Actually, this is the exact opposite of helping. You are actively trying to hurt consumers!

Instead of helping us get the word out that practices like this one await innocent consumers, you are actively trying to trick us into believing that customers are NOT at risk of losing money.

If this is what you count as “help”, well be better off without it, thank you.

CT Challenger

guest1993 did not write, "Not true in MY store" or "not true in SOME stores."

guest1993 wrote "Not true", suggesting it is not true in any stores.

So, it is up to guest1993 to check every store before making such a claim. They have failed to do so.

To prove guest1993 wrong, it is only necessary to check what consumers have already writen. So, guest1993 has been proven wrong.

guest1993 owes consumers an apology for misleading them. But I have a feeling we aren't going to get one..

Keep in mind, this site is for consumers to help one another, not for employees to defend their stores with mis-information that could harm consumers.

Last edited:

CTH8R

What a whiner guest1993 is.

The very first words he ever poster here were in response to a comment from a consumer.

He wrote, "Not true."

Then, it turns out it really IS true, and he was dead wrong.

Did he apologize? Nope.

Even just admit his error, and move on? Not at all.

Did he at least take his wuppin' like a man? Far from it.

Instead, he just keeps on whining.

Sounds like excellent Crappy Management material to me!

I'm sure he'll be promoted to "Head Refund Denier" and "Policy Misinformation Disseminator" in no time!

Last edited:

guest1993

Well, first of all I am a female so please don't make assumptions. I can say for myself that hurting the consumer is not my goal, nor am I manager so please stop with all these assumptions. The only time a return is refused is if I have reason to believe the person is trying to scam me, which doesn't happen very often in the past 3 months I haven't denied a single return at the desk, you want to know why, because I AM trying to help people so don't put the blame on me. I have had enough of this forum, it's pathetic. You men are pathetic, and I know you are men because the only type of people who come into my store and have reactions like yours are men. I am not whining at all, nor defending my store which was previously stated. The offer is still open to reveal yourselves and for me to reveal the store I work at so you can visit it yourselves to see how many misconceptions you have made about Canadian Tire as a whole. Can I also make it VERY CLEAR: I DO NOT AGREE WITH THE RETURN POLICY PUT IN PLACE, which is why I do everything in my power to do any return that is put in front of me! If your looking for an apology I can't help CT Challenger or CTH8ER, I will apologize to the person who returned the bed, because that was poor customer service on that employees behalf, NOT MINE. So please stop grouping all employees together, we are HUMAN BEINGS JUST LIKE YOU, you have crappy jobs you work to support your families as do we, it is not my life dream to work at Canadian Tire and make everyone elses lives miserable. I don't want any slick remarks posted back to this post, if you have any "STRONG" words to post back, please private message me or please, do us all a favor and for once keep them to yourselves.

CT Challenger

Sorry - how is any of guest1993's verbage supposed to actually help any customers?

All we've gotten so far are some empty claims that there's a store some place in Canada that doesn't suck ... much.

Oh, but if we only say the Magic Words, then the secret location will be Revealed!!!!

No thanks. I'd rather have some concrete information to go by.

Something like this, for example:

https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/g...-ct-return-policy-sucks-example.html#post6751

Owner 1

guest1993 did not write, "Not true in MY store" or "not true in SOME stores."

guest1993 wrote "Not true", suggesting it is not true in any stores.

So, it is up to guest1993 to check every store before making such a claim. They have failed to do so.

To prove guest1993 wrong, it is only necessary to check what consumers have already writen. So, guest1993 has been proven wrong.

guest1993 owes consumers an apology for misleading them. But I have a feeling we aren't going to get one..

Keep in mind, this site is for consumers to help one another, not for employees to defend their stores with mis-information that could harm consumers.

So according to YOUR rules of engagement, the rules you've stated above, Mrs. Challenger, before making any claim that CT is this or CT does that it is up to CT Challenger to check every store before making a claim. You have failed to do so.
You owe consumers, and those of us that represent Canadian Tire an apology for misleading them and us. I have a feeling we aren't going to get that apology

CTH8R

You really are clueless, aren't you?

If someone says, "This is true for all cases", then they have to check all cases, and not just some of them.

For instance, if someone says, "This store has the best warranty among every Canadian retailer", then they have to check ... wait for it ... EVERY Canadian retialer.

And if someone says, "No Crappy Tire stores limit credits to a single type of product", then they have to check .... EVERY Crappy Tire store.

But to disprove a statement like that, all that is necessary is to find ONE exception. After that, there's no need to continue checking EVERY case. The claim of "all" or "every" has already been disproven.

One retailer with a better warranty will do.

One Crappy Tire store that limits store credits wil do.

Pretty simple.

But I have a feeling you still won't get it.

Owner 1

Oh no I get it! I get that it works like this too.

When YOU claim that CT has the worst auto service, owners are dishonest, worst policies for returns or doesn't ever honour the warranty etc.... then YOU also have to have visited EVERY retailer, and EVERY store in the CT chain to be able to make the claim.

Pretty simple. You want CT people to have everything covered, every store, every product, every competitor....then you should really be living up to the same standard.