Just brought a brand new shark vacum for three days. Use it once and it did not work well due to poor design. It does not work well on hard wood floor without turnning on the power brush. But turning on the bursh will damage my hard wood floor. So try to refund it. But CT refuse to give me back my money. They get a customer service manager and only give me back a store credit which has to be use in full within one year. They said it is has be "unused". I told them I read the big sign on their wall and did not see the word "not used". I also asked the cashier about the return policy before I brought it. The cashier just said "90 days" with out mention of unused. The customer service manager said it is print on the warranty and the warranty is everywhere near the vacum display, and I should get a copy and read it... The warranty just mention the warranty without mention of refund. And she said the "unused" is print on the receipt and I should read it. But no body told me. Normally if you buy some clearance item with no return, the cashier will told you and circle the "noused" word or stamp a "no return". But no one did that... Feel like I am being scammed.
I was planning to return the < $200 vaccum and at the same time buy a treadmill that is on sale for > $700. Now I am so "p..." that I will just use up my store credit and will not buy any expensive item from them.....

CTH8R

Why only boycott expensive items? It's best not to buy any items that could be in any way unsatisfactory.

In fact, why give them any business at all? Lots of better alternatives out there - stores that stand behind what they sell.

Last edited:

DavidLeR

Sorry to hear about your poor treatment by Crappy Tire.

Unfortunately, you were one of many Canadians who had not yet learned that Crappy Tire has the worst return policies among major Canadian retailers.

And, to make matters worse, they fail to adequately notify consumer about these policies, so innocent consumers like you assume the policies will be the same as all the other retailers. Then, people like you don't find out until it's too late.

Some stores also add their own interpretations and extra rules, like every item needing to be unopened before it can be returned.

You can read more on this site about the different polices that they have, for unwanted items, defective items, battery warranties, etc.

Actually, you are lucky that they agreed to give you even a store credit - some customers get nothing at all, and are stuck with a non-functioning product.

But the real issue in your case isn't about the store polices at all. It's about the legislation for retailers (which can't be trumped by a store poicy).

If they sold you a vacuum that is supposed to clean wooden floors, and it does not do so, then you are entitled to a refund under the Sale of Goods Act. You can read more here: https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/general-canadian-tire-complaints-chat/707-sale-goods-act.html

Ellen Roseman appeared on CBC recently, about a coffee maker that was sold as 'new' when it was actually used. The principle is the same: the item they sold you was misrepresented, so they are required by law to refund your money (and not just give you a store credit). Have a look: https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/g...arketplace-concludes-canadian-tire-sucks.html

So, not only does Crappy Tire have the worst policies around, but they try to use them as an excuse to ignore the laws.

Are you really sure you want to buy anything there? Are these the kind of people you want to support?

Last edited: