CT Challenger

I'm sure Jumpstart does some good work.

But that's no excuse for Canadian Tire to steal the tax credits of the generous Canadians who donate.

And after they steal the tax credits, they also steal the credit for the whole donation!

Have they no shame at all?

They should individualy give each customer who donates the $2 for Jumpstart at the cash a receipt of some sort for the donation the've made so that rhe CUSTOMER can use it as a tax write off instead of Canadian Tire getting to write it off at the end of the year then brag about how "Candian Tire donated 1.2 Million dollars etc.. And look how great we are. Bullshit!! You're selfish and opurtunistic.

I have nothing against helping people in need or donating money. It's just when these corporate c**ksuckers claim the fame for themselves, well that really pisses me off. Thank you and have a nice day. :)

I don't approve of vulgarity, but I understand the righteous indignation that lead to it.

CTH8R

I was really surprised to find out that charities are NOT required to give you a tax receipt, no matter what the amount of the donation is.

Questions and answers

But Canadian Tire should at least be up-front about it, and say, "Would you like to donate to our charity? Canadian Tire won't give you a tax receipt, but we'll tell CRA that we donated the money, so that |WE get a tax credit for YOUR donation".

It'd be great if CRA required charities to issue receipts to the actual donators, and required people to sign over their donation to a third part (the way they do for tuition transfer).

In the meantime, beware of this - it's yet another scam that Crappy Tire will try to pull on Canadian consumers!

Owner 1

I was really surprised to find out that charities are NOT required to give you a tax receipt, no matter what the amount of the donation is.

Questions and answers

But Canadian Tire should at least be up-front about it, and say, "Would you like to donate to our charity? Canadian Tire won't give you a tax receipt, but we'll tell CRA that we donated the money, so that |WE get a tax credit for YOUR donation".

It'd be great if CRA required charities to issue receipts to the actual donators, and required people to sign over their donation to a third part (the way they do for tuition transfer).

In the meantime, beware of this - it's yet another scam that Crappy Tire will try to pull on Canadian consumers!

Wow. Now i've heard it all. Jumpstart is a scam?

Jumpstart - What is Jumpstart

You know, not liking our products or our prices or warranties or employees or whatever.... but to call a program like JumpStart a SCAM.... that's low for ANYONE!!!

Post on here and tell me that the hundreds of thousands of kids, literally hundreds of thousands of kids got SCAMMED when they got their new hockey equipment or Karate registration or swimming lessons.

Go ahead, report it as a scam....here's how you do it. Right from the CRA website.
15. How do I report charity fraud?
Report fraud to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Call Centre by calling 1-888-495-8501. You can also call the CRA's toll free numbers in Canada: 1-800-267-2384 (English) or 1-888-892-5667 (bilingual).

and then go tell that kid down the street you need his hockey stick back because its evidence, you know proceeds of crime.

WOW....simply WOW!

CTH8R

Wow. Now i've heard it all. Jumpstart is a scam?

WOW....simply WOW!

Nobody said Jumpstart is a scam.

In fact, nobody said anything bad about Jumpstart at all - only good things!

Do you even bother to read what other people write, before you post your drivel?

What a moron you are!

Yup - "wow" pretty much sums it up.

But Crappy Tire? Big-time scammers!

Smrt Cnsmr

I've noticed a pattern in the posts by Canadian Tire employees.

Whenever they get caught with their pants down, so to speak, they always come up with some diversion, to steer the story away from the embarrassing facts.

This whole "you said Jumpstart is a scam" diversion is just the latest attempt to distract people from the real issue: Canadian Tire taking the (tax) credit for donations made by customers.

A similar thing happened when the Canadian Tire Corporation was convicted of a price fixing conspiracy. The CT poster tried to blame it all on one individual, but the corporation was found guilty.

Lots of other examples on here. Refusing refunds, selling defective products, illegal collection of personal data, incompetent repairs. Giving that kid brain damage. The list of cover-ups is lengthy.

This site seems to have more than its share of dishonest people trying to defend a dishonest company.

CT Challenger

Yeah, but nothing prevents a charity from providing a receipt. Nothing at all. Even for $1, they could do it, if they wanted to. Sure, they'd have to write up a slip of paper with the mimimum information on it, but what does that cost? Next to nothing.

However, there is a common practice to only give receipts for donations of over, say, $20 or so. That cuts down on over-head costs. But CRA advises registered charities to give a receipt, in order to encourage donations. Makes sense, when you think about it for a minute.

But we all know the real problem here isn't Jumpstart, despite what The Moaner says.

It's with Crappy Tire saying, "Give your donation to us, and we'll give it to Jumpstart". What Crappy doesn't say is "And we'll use your donation to get a tax credit, then brag about how much money WE donated to Jumpstart".

Shameless, indeed!

Last edited:

CT Challenger

Maybe it's a just a diversion, but for some weird reason the Crappy People want to steer this discussion away from the deplorable actions of Crappy Tire, and off into a side-discussion about the relative merits of Jumpstart as a charity.

Ok, I'll bite!

MoneySense magazine does a ranking of charities every year.

(Being a pro-consumer publication, I'm sure the Crappy People will be unhappy with them - just as they are unhappy about Ellen Roseman's efforts to help consumers).

Anyway, here's the results of the Moneysense charity review from last July:

The 2011 Charity 100: Social Services | Lists | MoneySense

In the "Social Services" category, they gave Jumpstart a "B-".

(Hey, that's a LOT better than the "F" consumers gave Crappy Tire, in the Customer Satisfaction survery done by Marketplace - another pro-consumer organziation the Crappy People hate!)

That puts J/S behind:
- Calgary Inter-Faith Food Bank Society (A-)
- President's Choice Children's Charity (A-)
- War Amps (War Amputations of Canada) (A-)
- Young Life of Canada (A-)
- Second Harvest Food Support Committee (B)
- Tim Horton Childrens Foundation (B+)

But it does put them in a tie with:
- Covenant House Toronto (B-)

... and slightly ahead of:

- Children's Wish Foundation of Canada (C+)

Just something for smart consumers to think about, when deciding which charties to support!

(Personally, I support War Amps and World Vision, among others.)

Now, brace yourselves for more scathing remarks from the Crappy People about Moneysense, Marketplace, Ellen Roseman, and anybody else who supports consumers!

Owner 1

Nobody said Jumpstart was a scam?

I suppose the title of this thread should lead me and others to believe that you support Jumpstart?
and the statement about be aware, it's another scam canadian tire is tryign to pull on canadian consumers is all about the positive results of the charity?

get real

simply put, that's your way of backtracking because you don't have the balls to back up your statement. You can't justify calling it a scam because you know it's not. You FINALLY recognize you've gone too far and that was an example of your blind hate for anythign canadian tire.

get bent you lying pathetic waste.

CTH8R

The Moaner keeps getting publicly spanked, day after day, for the pure drivel they keep posting.

With so much humiliation going' on, I wouldn't be surprised if they just friggin' snapped one day soon, and went ballistic.

get bent you lying pathetic waste.

Oh-oh!

Looks like today's the day!

ROFLMFAO!!

CT Challenger

Well, The Moaner sure does have an active fantasy life, LOL!

They think any discussion about Crappy Tire's misuse of the Jumpstart charity, is proof that we "don't support" Jumpstart.

And Moaner is so easily confused, they think they can make assumptions about consumers views on the "results of the charity".

(Either that, or they are just looking for something to moan about!)

Yes, the Moaner's cranium is so cracked, they think that this somehow proves that consumers think Jumpstart itself is "a scam".

(Huh? It's Crappy Tire that's running the scam, remember?)

But the Moaner's delusions don't stop there. Their busted brain also tell them that "the consumers are backtracking".

And this becomes proof that the consumers "don't have the balls to back up your statement".

But these are statements the consumers never made! WTF???

"You FINALLY recognize you've gone too far"

Really? The consumers have gone too far? Based on a bunch of crap that The Moaner made up? LMAO!

"and that was an example of your blind hate for anythign canadian tire. "

OK, now it's getting REALLY confusing! Are they on a rant about Jumpstart? Or a rant about Canadian Tire?

I think The Moaner's cerebellum is so scrambled, even THEY have lost track of what their complaint is.

It's just so sad, isn't it?

But not entirely unexpected.

Smrt Cnsmr

I enjoy watching Moaner1 make a fool out of himself as much as anyone.

But let's not be too distracted by these false accusations and off-topic debates about the Jumpstart charity itself.

The main point is that Canadian Tire is pulling a fast one by asking Canadians to donate to a charity (doesn't matter which one!), than claiming the tax credit as their own.

Oh, and then announcing to the world how generous they are ... With someone else's money!

It's the dishonesty of the whole thing that I find upsetting.

(Although that MoneySense article ranking the different charities was VERY interesting!)

CT Challenger

<sigh>

Mornings just aren't as fun anymore, without that kick-start of hilarity, from the demented ramblings of our beloved mascot, Moaner1 ...

Last edited:

CTH8R

I suppose Jumpstart does some good things, but clearly there's a conflict of interest when a CT store owner makes financial decisions on behalf of the CT Jumpstart charity.

As a charity, but they should choose their tax receipt policy based on what's fair to the donors, and to encourage as many donations as they can.

However, when Jumpstart sets a higher limit for issuing tax receipts, then the Stores can claim a higher tax credit for themselves, using the customer-donated money.

Letting a store owner decide when Jumpstart gives customers a tax receipts, means letting the store owner decide when their store gets to claim a tax receipt.

It comes down to this decision: "Gee, should I let the customer claim this tax credit, or should I claim it for myself, and gain a financial advantage?"

Makes me wonder how many store owners are on the board of Jumpstart, and facing this conflict of interest ...

Last edited:

CT Challenger

I've done the tuition transfer, too.

I've had students transfer their tuition receipts to me, which gives me a bigger tax refund than they would have gotten, if they'd claimed it themselves.

But I didn't just keep the extra money! I gave the extra back to the students (who really are entitled to it, I believe).

Now, if the CT Owners were REALLY interested in helping the charity, they'd give their extra tax credit money right back to Jumpstart, instead of just keeping it for themselves.

That's second-best to giving the tax credit to the people who deserve it: the generous Canadian donors.

Owner 1

Where is your information coming from in terms of owners and jumpstart and tax receipts?

Owners do not make ANY decisions in regards to JumpStart. We do not choose which local kids recieve the funds, in fact we don't even get to see who gets them, that information is private. Secondly we do not claim any customer donations on our books. We are simply the collection agent, through whatever events are hosted, and the donation boxes located in our store. We bundle the funds and simply get it into the hands of JUmpStart. They dole out the funds, they issue the tax receipts, THEY are the charity. I'm a for profit retail business. I'm not getting any extra tax credits on behalf of JUmpStart LOL that's ridiculous

Now what's this about tuition transfer for students? sure hope those students are your kids or grandkids or you just committed tax fraud

CTH8R

Woo-hoo!

Look who's back for another round of humiliation!

Hilarious!

Owners do not make ANY decisions in regards to JumpStart.

Really?

You are absolutely sure about that, are you?

Have you even bothered to see who's on the board?

http://jumpstart.canadiantire.ca/CFF115003TA_Annual_E.pdf

One dealer after another!

LMAO!!

And try to guess which major CT shareholder is the "chairMAN"?

tax fraud

What is it with Moaner and their hysterics about "fraud"?

A guilty conscience, perhaps?

LMFAO!

Thanks, Moaner! You brightened my rainy morning!

(Which, by the way, I spent out in the rain collecting donations for breast cancer research. Gee, maybe I should follow the CT Way, and donate it all under my own name! And steal everybody's tax credit? Nah, I'd NEVER stoop as low as the Crappy Owners!)

CT Challenger

OK, it usually takes a while to wade through all the Crap posted by The Moaner.

So let's get started with the next round: the distractions.

Instead of addressing the topic at hand, The Moaner likes to make up new claims, then vigorously deny them, as if somebody else had actually said these thing.

(This fantasy about "you said Jumpstart is a scam" is typical.)

Sure, it sounds like a denial, and it serves keeps the focus off of the scam Crappy Tire pulls on consumers. But it's all just a bunch of B.S.

We do not choose which local kids recieve the funds, in fact we don't even get to see who gets them, that information is private.

Intesting idea. But irrelevant, even if it turns out to be true.

They dole out the funds, they issue the tax receipts, THEY are the charity. I'm a for profit retail business.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that's true. But who cares? It's irrelevant, and nobody said otherwise.

I'm not getting any extra tax credits on behalf of JUmpStart LOL that's ridiculous

Yup, it sure is ridiculous! But again, nobody said they got "tax credits on behald of JUmpStart".

No, we said they get RECEIPTS FROM Jumpstart, on BEHALF of consumers!

sure hope those students are your kids or grandkids or you just committed tax fraud

Actually, they can also be step-kids. But hey, nobody would every accuse The Moaner of being a tax expert! Obvously!

More on their other stupid statements, soon.

Last edited:

CT Challenger

A rainly Friday night is a good chance to catch up on some unsued humiliation opportunities with The Moaner.

Over in the Lies thread (how appropriate!), The Moaner posted the following absurdities:

Unless you annual income is $350.00 a $2 donation would not give you a tax break.

I think The Moaner meant $35,000. Let's give him/her the benefit of the doubt, shall we?

CRA themselves have a very different way of calculating tax credits, which is not so kind to The Moaner.

See this link for an estimate:

CRA - Donations and donors - Tax savings - Charitable donation tax credit estimator

You can see for yourself that even a $1 donation has an estimated tax credit of $0.20 (i.e. 20%).

The exact amount depends on your province and other details of your tax situation - that's why it's an estimate.

But, you know what? I've still got TurboTax installed from the spring. So, I thought I'd do some sample calculations.

If you had no other deductions, and only straight employment income, would you get a refund for a donation of $1? $2? And does income matter? What about Moaner's magic $35,000?

Well, here's what I found out:

A donation of as little as $5 will give you a tax credit of about $1, whether you earned $20,000 or $50,000

So, this theory that "Unless you annual income is $350.00 a $2 donation would not give you a tax break"? Completely incorrect, and highly misleading.

The interesting thing was the upper limit: the more you make, the more you can deduct. Someone earning only $20,000 will 'max out' at a donation of $4,300. But someone pulling in $50,000 will see a benefit for every dollar they donate, up to about $24,000.

Bottom line:

Every dollar matters, whether you only make $20,0000, or you make $50,0000.

Oh, and one other thing:

Even if you CAN'T use the tax credit, that doesn't mean The Crappy People are entitled to take if from you!

Just because I'm unable to drive for while, does that make it OK for someone to steal my car?? Of course not!

It's all just an excuse for the Crappy Owner, to make cheating you sound like it's not so bad!

Don't be fooled! They just want to scam you out of your tax credit! You've been warned!

Last edited:

CT Challenger

Here's something else the Crappy Owners don't want you to know about, and kind of kills their flimsy "you can't use it anyway" argument.

CRA allows you to carry forward charitable donations for FIVE YEARS.

So even if you gave only $1 a year, and it wouldn't help you THAT YEAR, you could just hold onto all five of your $1 receipts, and submit all five in THE SAME YEAR.

This gets even better, though.

The credit on the first $200 is at a low rate, but the credit on the SECOND $200 is at an even higher rate - often twice as much! So, it pays to save up a couple of year's worth of donations, and claim them all in the same year.

And the amounts after $1000 are at a higher rate still, so this can really pay off.

It's a bit different in each province, so here are the exact percentages:

TaxTips.ca - Donations Tax Credit Rates for 2011

Of course, there are other factors, like your net income, etc. But it can all add up!

Don't forget: it's your donation, and it's your tax credit! Don't let the deceitfull Owners claim YOUR tax credit as their own!