CT Challenger

It's interesting to compare the Facebook pages for Canadian Tire and Walmart Canada.

I've been watching the Walmart page for a while, and there a some similarities, naturally, because they have a lot of overlap in the products they sell and the services they provide. But there are some revealing differences, too.

https://www.facebook.com/walmartcanada

One thing I noticed right away, is that Walmart courageously provides a thread, where consumers can post general comments, both good and bad. At the Crappy Tire site, there is no such general thread, so customers have*to look around for a somewhat recent thread (on "Spring" or Rugby, or whatever they can find), then hope someone notices their post, and maybe takes pity on them.

Another advantage of the "Posts on Walmart Canada" thread is that*other consumers can easily check Walmart's 'scorecard', to see how Walmart Canada is doing in the eyes of their fellow Canadians. At Crappy Tire? No such luck.*You'd have to scan through many different threads, looking through all the irrelevant *"gee, I like spring and rugby, too!" posts, to find something even related to Crappy Tire.

Another advantage of the Walmart page (but a disadvantage in Crappy Tire's view?), is that the history of comments to Walmart can be easily viewed in the future. On the CT page, the multitude of threads eventually scroll off the screen and get hidden, so it's hard to see a clear history of comments. I guess that's a better setup, if you are expecting a "tsunami" of complaints!

Another important difference is the type of complaints that show up there.

For instance, many of the complaints are about Walmart.ca, their online store. But we all know that Crappy Tire couldn't make their e-commerce venture work, so they foolishly shut it all down years ago, totally missing the online shopping revolution in Canada. At this point, all they can do is try to sell some tires, but still can't beat the prices of their online American competitors.

But a huge difference is the deluge of complaints about Crappy Tire's return policies, with many customers even posting their pledge to boycott specific stores, or often the entire chain. Such complaints are so rare of the Walmart Canada site, that I haven't seen a single one in all the weeks I've been looking.

Especially significant, is the number of complaints on the Crappy Tire site about Repair Only products. You will, of course, never see such a complaint on the Walmart site, because they have no such policy, not even on gasoline-powers outdoor equipment. You'd think if Canadian Tire was genuinely concerned about customer service, they'd have reversed this ridiculous policy long ago.*

And let's not forget the recurring complaints about batteries, bicycles and tires, that flood in every time Canadian Tire make fools of themselves by advertising their horrendous products on Facebook, often spamming innocent Canadians when they do so. Yet complaints about Walmart Canada's performance in this field are few and far between! Geez, if Walmart can keep their customers' wheels from falling off, why can't Crappy Tire just sent their teenaged 'technicians' on the same course?

I see comments on the Crappy page almost every day, about someone who spotted a post that's been deleted. There was even a couple that mysteriously vanished earlier today! Yet somehow, there never seem to be these so-called "maintenance" deletions of negative (but legitimate) complaints over on the Walmart page. Wayward to go, Walmart Canada!

Finally, one last comparison. Canadian Tire is bigger than Walmart Canada, with 490 store to Walmart's 330. And the CT site seems to have been collecting Likes since about 2009, compared to only about 2012 for Walmart Canada.*

And yet, after all their "Like us and we'll give you something" promotions, Crappy Tire has only managed to get 850,544 Likes, compare to Walmart Canada's 704,106.

If Crappy Tire has more stores, can "play the we are Canadian card" at every opportunity, and has been collecting Likes for so much longer, why do they aren't doing much better than US-based Walmart?

Could it be that Crappy Tire simply sucks, and Canadians are becoming aware of that fact?

This is certainly something for Canadians think about, as they compose their upcoming 'boycott CT" message!

CT Challenger

It's interesting to compare the Facebook pages for Canadian Tire and Walmart Canada.

I've been watching the Walmart page for a while, and there a some similarities, naturally, because they have a lot of overlap in the products they sell and the services they provide. But there are some revealing differences, too.

https://www.facebook.com/walmartcanada

One thing I noticed right away, is that Walmart courageously provides a thread, where consumers can post general comments, both good and bad. At the Crappy Tire site, there is no such general thread, so customers have*to look around for a somewhat recent thread (on "Spring" or Rugby, or whatever they can find), then hope someone notices their post, and maybe takes pity on them.

Another advantage of the "Posts on Walmart Canada" thread is that*other consumers can easily check Walmart's 'scorecard', to see how Walmart Canada is doing in the eyes of their fellow Canadians. At Crappy Tire? No such luck.*You'd have to scan through many different threads, looking through all the irrelevant *"gee, I like spring and rugby, too!" posts, to find something even related to Crappy Tire.

Another advantage of the Walmart page (but a disadvantage in Crappy Tire's view?), is that the history of comments to Walmart can be easily viewed in the future. On the CT page, the multitude of threads eventually scroll off the screen and get hidden, so it's hard to see a clear history of comments. I guess that's a better setup, if you are expecting a "tsunami" of complaints!

Another important difference is the type of complaints that show up there.

For instance, many of the complaints are about Walmart.ca, their online store. But we all know that Crappy Tire couldn't make their e-commerce venture work, so they foolishly shut it all down years ago, totally missing the online shopping revolution in Canada. At this point, all they can do is try to sell some tires, but still can't beat the prices of their online American competitors.

But a huge difference is the deluge of complaints about Crappy Tire's return policies, with many customers even posting their pledge to boycott specific stores, or often the entire chain. Such complaints are so rare of the Walmart Canada site, that I haven't seen a single one in all the weeks I've been looking.

Especially significant, is the number of complaints on the Crappy Tire site about Repair Only products. You will, of course, never see such a complaint on the Walmart site, because they have no such policy, not even on gasoline-powers outdoor equipment. You'd think if Canadian Tire was genuinely concerned about customer service, they'd have reversed this ridiculous policy long ago.*

And let's not forget the recurring complaints about batteries, bicycles and tires, that flood in every time Canadian Tire make fools of themselves by advertising their horrendous products on Facebook, often spamming innocent Canadians when they do so. Yet complaints about Walmart Canada's performance in this field are few and far between! Geez, if Walmart can keep their customers' wheels from falling off, why can't Crappy Tire just sent their teenaged 'technicians' on the same course?

I see comments on the Crappy page almost every day, about someone who spotted a post that's been deleted. There was even a couple that mysteriously vanished earlier today! Yet somehow, there never seem to be these so-called "maintenance" deletions of negative (but legitimate) complaints over on the Walmart page. Wayward to go, Walmart Canada!

Finally, one last comparison. Canadian Tire is bigger than Walmart Canada, with 490 store to Walmart's 330. And the CT site seems to have been collecting Likes since about 2009, compared to only about 2012 for Walmart Canada.*

And yet, after all their "Like us and we'll give you something" promotions, Crappy Tire has only managed to get 850,544 Likes, compare to Walmart Canada's 704,106.

If Crappy Tire has more stores, can "play the we are Canadian card" at every opportunity, and has been collecting Likes for so much longer, why do they aren't doing much better than US-based Walmart?

Could it be that Crappy Tire simply sucks, and Canadians are becoming aware of that fact?

This is certainly something for Canadians think about, as they compose their upcoming 'boycott CT" message!

CT Challenger

Sorry about the double-post - at first, it didn't look like it was posted at all, then it did it twice! I tried to edit it, but it wouldn't let me do that, either.

Last edited:

1wildhorse

actually i think you have made a very interesting and informative post,and it definitely needs to be read through twice by the crappy managers,who still think they are on this untouchable pedestal.as you know im in an ongoing litigation against crappy tire.i must admit im saddened that BECAUSE of their so called customer service i was forced to file a claim against them.it never used to be that way,a few years ago i never had any problems.shame on you canadian tire shame on you.even in the unlikely event i lose to some obscure argument which i dont even think exists in law,you have still permanently lost a customer,and all of my friends and relatives.the other day i was looking to buy a cooler.in the past i would have gone straight to your crappy store because of the selection you boast,but once bitten twice shy as they say,i didnt even slow down and went straight to wal mart,and got one there!never again will i brighten your doors with my presence.....

CTH8R

Oh, it's so much fun having Moaner One back here, posting his hilarious nonsense, and displaying his ignorance for our amusement!

It's been well-established that people who run Crappy Tire, like The Moaner One, couldn't care less what their customers think, as long as there enough of them in the store to keep them money.

But anyone who is paying attention on this site will know that this thread is one of the most popular on this site, receiving about 400 or 500 views every week.

In fact, it is close to breaking into the Top Ten.

(But the all-time champion is still the Repair Only Warranty thread, with over 50,000 views.)

Speaking of keeping count: watch out, CT! Walmart Canada is catchin' up on number of Likes! LMAO!

CTH8R

Who are you apologizing to? Yourself and H8R are the only two with any interest in this

The only reason Moaner1 is chirping this thread, it 'cause they are mad that the "dirty laundry" of their beloved stores is being aired here, for all to see.

If the out-right lies don't work, the CT'ers have traditionally resorted to petty insults - I guess 'cause there's not much left for them to try!

As many ex-customers have posted: it's just plain sad.

CT Challenger

Another Canadian who won't be "Liking" Crappy Tire any time soon:

Bartin F.: Ive actually started traveling to another town in the last while and have found home hardware in st george to be much more friendlier and helpfull to me..they actually come over and ask me if i need any help..

Bartin F.: I have spent thousands of dollars there..I got all the reciepts to prove it..

Bartin F.: also the manager leaves alot to be desired..i have not seen that woman smile in 10 yrs...

Bartin F.: how come when i go to my Canadian Tire branch in St Stephen NB..i can never get any decent help..they all run away when they see me coming then thier ticked when i chase them to a corner..and they actually have to assist me..why after 10 yrs of going there..

CT Challenger

Wish Bill would be more specific. What could the complaint be about? The "Repair Only" policy? "Bait and Switch"? So many, many possibilities, over at Crappy Tire:

Bill S.: We had a very bad day at Canadian tire last week about the paint we purchased! We're going to file an formal complaint against them

CT Challenger

The Moaner wants to know “what, specifically is wrong" with their inventory system. Well, here’s a specific example:

Melissa L.: A purchase? How about on the items you say are in stock, but the shelves are empty and the sales associate "cannot find it". I lost track of the number of times this has happened to, in different Canadian Tire locations. It once took them over an hr to find a bouncy castle! Not a small box of nails! I don't know what kind of system you have in place for stocking but I'm sure my one year old daughter could develop a better system!!

CT Challenger

I wish Hilda WOULD write a book - or a least a more detailed post:

Hilda V.N.: Countless times we've picked up a sale priced item and when we got to the register, they rang it through as the original price. We've watched CTC staff lie to customers about tires that were ordered and sold to someone else. We could write a book

CT Challenger

Arnie T: Service is bad when it comes to returning things just a hassle

Tracy M.: The last time at local store ended up like most times. No help. No product especially if on sale. Walked out empty handed as usual. Try very hard to NOT shop at Canadian Tire

Sara G.: Bought our kids a 500.00 roto tiller...came without a handles....over 10 days and still no handles....urg...purchase being returned and will not buy large items there again!!!!!

Danny K.: canadian tire SUCKS. Pathetic customer service.

CT Challenger

Bruno A.: Horrible customer service they treat customer like thieves I bought two lounge chairs and while putting them in the back of the truck I discover a broken leg coming out of one box ,I go back in to change it and it took 20 min, they had to open the box that left the door 10 seconds ago , called a security to calm me down , had to sign return papers and they took my ID for the exchange !!! and I got a lecture for that guy telling me all customer are the same and any box that leaves the doors has to be open !!! they have camera outside they could have verified and save me all that hassle. This is the opposite of good client service and pushes one to avoid that store that became a symbol of foreign cheap import and cheap service. Local is not Canadian tire only the name is Canadian ... Shame on their management and lack of reason..

CTH8R

Heed the words of Serge!

Serge F.: Corporate answer is being provided, once again, and not to my satisfaction. I will continue to voice my opinion and share my experiences with Canadian Tire, a major Canadian store who continue to show a lack of flexibility in ways it handle customer satisfaction.

Serge F.: No I am addressing this at the national level where they focus and specialized in providing Corporate Answer, failing paying proper attention to the root of the problem.

Serge F.: Only 11 days after purchasing and 2 usages of that Gas trimmer, it will be prudent to say that my request of obtaining authorization to have the product return to Canadian Tire would be in a reasonable one.
I understand that there is a 7 days exchange Canadian Tire policy, but in ignoring my request, after only 11 days after purchase, only show a major lack of understanding and flexibility from a major Canadian institution. The way you treated and continue to handle this issue can only be perceived as being unreasonable and lack of discretionary power to successfully mitigate this issue.
Canadian Tire continues to lack flexibility and failed to properly address my concern, as such, I am and will continue to actively pursue this battle with Canadian Tire and Troybilt.
With persistence and the help of many social media available, I will continue to share my disappointment in Canadian Tire customer service and the hassle encountered with my Troybilt trimmer.

Serge F.: Wallmart and Costco, return policy is way more customer friendly and flexible!

CTH8R

Response to the copy-and-paste "customer service is very important to us" claim:

Michael R.: no it's not why lie ? you guys don't care about customers at all

CTH8R

Melissa B.: Can't stand the store in Brantford, they r rude not helpful and don't care about costumer service. Will never go back. Managers are also useless.

CTH8R

Not sure if they have the Scanning Code of Practice in NL, but I thing it's national:

Joan F.: Canadian Tire in Mt Pearl , Nl has very bad customer service...I had a bad experience last November. Ignorant manager & employee!!! They mark prices but say "that price was put there by mistake " so it actually cost more!!!

CTH8R

Joan F.: Customerservice@canadiantire.com has already received my complaint when this incident happened. At that time, I forwarded pics of the item with the lower price still attached. I had an apology from that particular email but I never heard a word from the store itself.