CTH8R

We’ve all been watching Crappy Tire completely drop the ball, when it comes to managing their social media site.

(And, no, merely deleting negative comments does NOT count as “managing social media”)

Naturally, some of the comments are about poor customer service, where the store failed to live up to their own return policies, or to provide adequate sales assistance to customers.

But what I find most interesting, is the large number of their customers who are complaining about staff doing EXACTLY WHAT THE STORE WANTS THEM TO, i.e. refusing returns that would be routine at every major store out there.

Defective product? NO REFUND, at Crappy Tire!

Opened package? “Repair Only”? NO REFUND, NO EXCHANGE at Crappy Tire!

And when consumers find out what the real rules are at this Crappy store, we see that the Crappy People who patrol their site are usually silent.

The most they can come up with is, “Strong customer service is important, we would like to hear more personally” or “Customer Service is very important to us and we would like to try to make things right. Please feel free to contact us”.

But is that even true?

Are the Crappy People even being honest on their own site?

No, they are simply making a vague and half-hearted suggestion that maybe somehow the store’s policies will be waived for just this one customers, just this one time.

But we’ve seen what the customers get back in these cases: a form letter saying (in essence), “Sorry, that’s our policy”.

Indeed, if the Crappy People truly thought that “customer service is important” (let along “very important”), then surely they would bring their policies in line with all the other retailers out there, and put an end to all these recurring complaints.

The fact that they stand their ground, and that they continue to hide their true policies, serves as a message to us all: customer service isn’t important at all.

Their true slogan isn’t “Bring It On” …. it's actually “Don’t Bring It Back”.

CTH8R

They are there if you need them ... And even if you don't!

David A.: Yea of course it's free, my dads friends had a tow on the 400 and they tow it too the shop, and there was something wrong with the front end of the car, so CT says, it will cost 1500.00 $ for the job plus, you can not have the car back because it is not road safety, so my dad friend is like, if you don't give me back the car, I'm going to charge you with theft for stealing my property, and sure enough they have him the keys, so the job was not done, so he got a tow to another repair shop, and he said it will only cost 500.00 $ to fix, so In the end, nothing is for free people, this is 2012. You will pay for the tow!

CTH8R

Lots of complaints about ATVs that are known to be dangerous for kids, yet CT is pushing them for under-16's, and about contests that don't work or don't result in prizes.

But enough about their crappy web site. Here are things that are relevent to your local Red Triangle of Crap:

Love your latest purchase:

Jeremy A.: Has the new Chinese manufacturing complex been shown here yet? I hear it's something like 18 football fields big..
Look forward to less product from home and a lot more shoddy workmanship.

Jeremy A.: Ever wonder what happened to Mastercraft tool quality? Canadian Tire Corp to open Shanghai office - Taipei Times Canadian Tire's Bonikowsky wouldn't say what products the 452-store retailer currently imports from China or which new ones might be available in the future. But McLarney guessed much of the store's Chinese products involve its private-label goods, such as its Mastercraft tools.
Canadian Tire also owns clothing retailer Mark's Work Warehouse, which could benefit from the inexpensive textile market in China.

Jeremy A.: “1.3 billion customers with a large and growing middle class — this must mean there is a huge customer base for my company, right? Quite possibly, no. You need to get into the details to truly understand your potential customer base and can’t rely upon big numbers and Western assumptions."
—Fareed Ansari, Vice President Asia Pacific, Canadian Tire
So, people here get laid off, jobs get moved to China, and no likely new income... Sounds like another money funnel to me.

Donna T.: Do u accept negative reviews, replace belt Aug 12, in to be tightened Aug 20, snaps Aug 21, Canadian Tire on Victoria in Hamilton has to charge for labour as I had it replaced at one on Kenilworth, RU Frigin Joking!! Hate to see if I was out of Hamilton when it happened as I was on my way to Hwy!! U may have great warranty on parts but now I know why!!

Four-wheeler:

Karen B.: I am incredibly disappointed in Canadian Tire!! If I return something I expect to receive ALL the tax that I paid back! I bought 2 items in BC (sought out a Can Tire in BC because I knew that I would be able to return in Alberta). Canadian Tire in Edmonton would not return the tax I paid in BC. I know the Can Tire has claimed this tax so I expect if a return is done the tax would be returned!

Trey O.: That foure wheeler is crap !!!

If you need a lift this weekend:

John M.: hahahahaha!!! I would never use your road side assistance, its probably as bad as your customer service in your stores, no one would come to help ......

Sherry G.: Free tow but double the price on repairs...you only get a free tow to the Canadian tire service centre for repairs!

Marla N.: Nope,,I'd rather pay for a "real Towtruck" to a "real repair shop"..NO CANADIAN TIRE PARTS ON MY TRUCKS!!!

CTH8R

OK, I guess this is worth posting, regarding the ATVs Crappy Tire is pushing for kids - dangerous even for adults!

Margo B.: Very dangerous machines... My son, 25 years old - 7 broken ribs, 2 punctured lungs, broken knee cap, broken shoulder blade, 2 broken bones in his back, ruptured spleen... on life support.. in the hospital for 2 weeks and now on disability because he lost the use of his left arm... all from hitting a tree with an ATV... So think before you buy this for your kids...

CTH8R

Car Troubles at Wall Photos | Facebook

Kevin K.: No idea why anyone this day and age would ever consider to have their car service there. The only good thing they sell are baseball bats, hockey pucks, light bulbs when they are on sale

Karen B.: "Service center" what a joke! There is go good service there!

Italo John B.: Good for a tow, not for service. I'm shocked people still bring their cars to see them. In Windsor, they have a bunch of kids runnin the place!

ATV:

David L.: Found out what the return policy is: "This product is final sale and does not have a return policy on it." And for the warranty: "1 year repair only". Yikes! $2725 before taxes!

Pump up the sharing:

This isn't an in-store issue, but it's still pretty entertaining! Crappy Tire totally dropped the ball on yet another promotion, leading to lots of frustrated people who jumped through all the hoops, only to be cheated in the end. Sounds like their warranties, LOL!

Wall Photos | Facebook

Last edited:

CTH8R

The new thread on the Parts Selection tool is off to a crappier start than normal, even for them:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...00613754058.147633.90752524058&type=1&theater

Lots of complaints about the crappy app itself, plus these:

Caroline T.: Canadian Tire stands by their work until you drive away. The service manager told my sister that her signsl worked when she drove away so it must be a different problem.

Caroline T.: The service manager in Thunder Bay took no responsibility. She has already had to bring the car back twice.

Last edited:

CTH8R

What's in your toolbox?

Paul P.: Today I bought a Mastercraft cordless drill. While it was on sale for 1/2 off the price at the register was wrong. $118.99 instead of $69.99 Consumer beware - know your prices and don't

Jąŷ-Sĭn D.: I have an issue...i went into your winnipeg, unicity store and purchased a moto-master AW at 205-75-R15 well they installed a 205-70-R15 and well after being parked right after it was deflated because wrong tire size...well here is the big*problem, not only did i sit in ur store for 3 hours i am now here another 3 hours stuck while im waiting for you ll to fix your mess up.. I dont think thia is right, 6 hours total ive wasted to buy your product and have it installed...not very good canadian tire...not good at all

CTH8R

Need help selecting parts for your car?

Shelli G.: why cant Canadian tire ever change my oil light indacator when I get oil changes??? keep asking on each visit only response i get is they probably dont know how because its a new car???? I figured it out by reading the manual!

CTH8R

Tsk-Tsk.

This poor gentlemen certainly didn't receive the benefit of the Scanner Code of Practice. Same old story of poor service, I'm afraid.

The first posting is repeated for context:

Paul P.: Today I bought a Mastercraft cordless drill. While it was on sale for 1/2 off the price at the register was wrong. $118.99 instead of $69.99 Consumer beware - know your prices and don't rely on the cash register.

Paul P.: They didn't give me $10 off even after I asked if I got a discount. Plus I lost 1049 of 1118 bonus points on my CT Money Advantage card when they did the refund (I don't think most stores have this card yet which replaces CT money

Paul P.: They certainly didn't demonstrate that to me and I asked about a discount (did not actulally mention the SPAVC by name) when I went to customer service after they charged me almost $50 too much. Even with two customer service staff looking at the flyer and the computer they were looking for a way to still charge me more than what was advertised.

CTH8R

Share Your Opinion:

Tyler Y.: ALERT ! ! ! ! ! Canadian Tire auto repairs are to be avoided at all costs. I was recently stranded up north in Barrie (Bayfield St. store) when my fuel pump quit. The folks at that store charged me $106 just to tell me my car problem was a fuel pump and then wanted $900 on top of that to fix it. My mechanic told me it could be fixed for $480, almost half the cost! So I had it towed home and fixed. Thank goodness for decent, honest, hard-working "little-guy" mechanics who don't take advantage of people.

CT Challenger

There are a lot of customer complaints about Canadian Tire, on this site, on CT's own Facebook page, and on other sites as well.

Can we conclude anything from this data?

People claiming to be store owners have posted here, saying emphatically, “No! It means nothing!”.

But there are certain things we can glean from these reports generously offered by our fellow consumers.

For one thing, we know for sure that not everybody is quite as happy with Crappy Tire as the owners would like us to believe. They’d like everyone to think that Crappy Tire is deeply loved throughout Canada. I guess we can’t blame them for wanting to create and maintain an “everybody loves us” façade for their business. After all, they might lose money if word gets out about how much some people hate them. Still, is it really worth selling out their integrity for a few bucks? I guess they think so.

There’s something else we can learn from the contents of the complaints: Crappy Tire has terrible return policies and customer service, not to mention terrible repairs. The sheer volume of complaints seems to overwhelm even their on-line staff, who try their best to delete the most damaging ones. And the complaints are often the same, across the country, due to the terrible policies and poor practices that continue to bite naive customers.

Something else we can lean is that Crappy Tire has the worst policies around. We simply don’t hear complaints about any other retailer having a “repair only” policy. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a single one about any other Canadian retailer, big or small. But Crappy Tire? We see them all the time. Day after day, week after week. Similarly for “exchange only”, and for the lack of refunds for defective and unwanted merchandise. Few if any complaints on these topics for other Canadian retailers of similar goods; loads of complaints about Crappy Tire.

One other thing we can learn: the Canadian Tire people are liars.

They swear up and down that “every other retailer” has “the same damn” policies, like Repair Only. So we ask, “Why don’t we see them on their web sites, or hear about these policies when we visit the stores? “They are hiding them” the Crappy People say. “Bull Sh*t” we say! If they were hiding them (the way Crappy Tire does), we’d be seeing at least a couple of complaints on the other web sites. But we don’t. And repeated checks of other web sites, and even personal visits to the other retailers fail to find them.

Another lie that the owners like to tell: “No, we don’t have any Repair Only Policy. No Exchange Only policy, either. No, we have excellent policies, just like the other stores”. But we know this isn’t true, because we can find out about these policies by digging around on the Crappy Tire web site, and calling their Customer Support people. And these policies are confirmed by the on-going barrage of complaints on this site, other similar sites, and on Crappy Tire’s own facebook page.

Thank you, fellow Canadian Consumers, for helping to get the word out: Canadian Tire sucks!

Last edited:

CTH8R

It's Happy Hour:

David S. G.: If you want to give me some Happy Hour then fix my car right the first time. Focus on what you should be good at.

CTH8R

Crappy Tire is running another contest, called "Win a trip across Canada!" But it's an even worse fiasco than usual! Hilarious!

Ok, there's also a new complaint under "It's Happy Hour!":

Melanie J.: Yeah or at least have happy hour on stuff we can use

CTH8R

CT is hawking one of their Mastercraft drills.

Like many things in the store, they have a special policy if it turns out to be defective: "Exchange Only".

So, if it turns out that they asked somebody to build it to a low quality level, you are stuck owning it - or an identical, equally crappy one.

Well, at least it's not the dreaded "Repair Only" policy.

Here's what this guy had to say about it:

Greg K.: I've been through 3 Mastercraft cordless impacts and 4 drills. Always the batteries that fail. Went to DeWalt and never looked back.

CTH8R

It's been a while since anybody's been as mad as this lady, on the "Win a Trip" thread:

Marj N.: Well..... to say I am pissed would be an understatement. To make a very long story short I was driving my car when the engine light came on. Because it was after hours and I was near a Canadian Tire I drove it there. They accepted my car for service and told me to come back in an hour. When I returned they said their diagnostic machine could not read the computer in my car BUT I could drive my car and not to worry as this was common practice to drive a car with the engine light on. My gf and I asked again and again and I was reassured over and over that it was ok. That was a Monday night. Wed morning my car died near Steele Mazda. So I had it towed there. Apparently the engine was fried. The heads were warped and the gaskets were leaking. ???? All greek to me. Mazda Canada will not honor the warranty as I drove it with the engine light on. So I went back to Canadian Tire where the Service Manager AND their Mechanic reassured me again that it should have been ok to drive it AND that Mazda was not telling me something. I wrote the President on Canadian Tire who had their GM contact me immediately. In the end the Service Manager and the Mechanic renagged on their statements and are now saying that they told me to go straight to a dealership. EVEN with my gf writing a letter witnessing what was said to me Canadian Tire will not support that they told me to drive the car.

---

At least she's getting the word out on what Crappy did to her car.

Here's the follow-up posts that she copied to Crappy's f/b page:

Pam S. ouch-that's going to hurt! Sorry Marj Newell

Marj N. I am not done yet!! I refuse to have to pay for this when I went on the advice of someone who is suppose to know what they are doing.

Catherine B. jeez louise, that heinous. hope you get this settled, so nasty and the little guy is never the winner. fight on Marj.

Joanne B. omg, that is terrible Marj. Prayers:)

Jenn P. NEVER go to Canadian tire for mechanical work...their sly sneaky scammers. That sucks Marj, hopefully someone will face up to their mistake, and help you out!

Murielle M. Marj, did Canadian Tire charge you for the attempt to diagnosis of your vehicle? And did they suggest that you get your car towed to Mazda?

Marj N. Murielle M. ... no there was no charge because their machine was not working and no they never suggested going to the dealership at first. Only the second time talking to them, which was after the car had died, did they suggest going back to Mazda as they felt Mazda was not telling me the whole truth about the computer in my car.

Jamie W. Post this on their FB site - see what the asses say. So sorry for all the stress

---

Someone has since gotten a response from CT on the Win thread, so she wrote:

Marj N. Wow! Wish I could get that same sort of service Dave!

Marj N. Even the President of Canadian Tire doesn't seem to give to hoots about how his people are treating me.

---

Nice "customers service", Crappy Tire! I hope the money you saved by screwing this lady over, is worth all the negative publicity!

CT Challenger

Someone took the time to post the following helpful advice to Crappy Tire, from this link:

https://www.facebook.com/VoicesDoMatter

The advice is relevant to the decision to 'fire' your customers, or to the decision to screw them over in the hopes of saving money.

Here's what the link said:

TIP OF THE DAY: What are your customers REALLY worth?

We all know that customer service is important: but what is each customer worth that comes through your door? Here’s a quick way to determine the lifetime value of your customers.

1. What is your average sale or average amount of money a customer spends per month? (Simply add up your total dollar sales for a year and divide that by the total number of sales transactions you completed.)
2. How many times a year does an average customer buy from you? (Take your total number of sales transactions for a year and divide it by the total number of customers.)
3. What is the expected number of years a customer will use your services or buy your products?
4. How many people per year does your average customer tell about your company? (You may have to guess at this one. It’s probably between 3 and 12. Generally, the better your customer service, the higher this number will be.)
5. What percentage of these people actually become customers? (Usually between 20% and 70%.

Keeping this in mind when every person walks through your door will help you remember how truly valuable everyone is and why it's so important to make them feel valued!

Try to guess how Crappy Tire responded to this helpful advice. That's right! They promptly deleted it!

LMAO!

Last edited:

CTH8R

People are posting complaints faster than CT can delete them, LOL!

Alan K.: here is the story sherwood park ab canadian tire backed my truck into a trailer there is not alot of damage but none the less damage. the back bumper is dented and something went through the plastic and bent the bumper down. so that is the damage i was fine with them getting it fixed at a dealership no problems, but they wanted to get a bumper from a scrap yard and put it on. that i am not at all ok with. the store told me that i have to go through my insurance and pay my deductible. anyway i have gotten zero help with this matter i know that there insurance should be paying to get it fixed but the head office just told me that i can take them to small claims court. this whole thing seems unbelievable, if anyone knows what i can do please let me know. thanks

CTH8R

On the possible meaning of a "limited parts" warranty:

Gary N.: Perhaps, it you use it, you may have invalidated the warranty as it only applies to unused items...everything else might be classified as "customer abuse" :p...I'd say that would be a very limited warranty agreement...care to comment CT?