CTH8R

There must be SOME benefit, to all the spam they pay to send. And it must be enough to balance out the many, many comments like this:

Tobias L. Have you been to Costco? Now thats service!!! 2 years old no problem returns, with record braking profits. Why, people love the company that looks after them, thats why they PAY to shop there!!

CTH8R

Here's another Gift Card complaint - probably it was one of the above "Promo" cards - even though CT claims (falsely) that it was a "Gift", it still expired in a week!

Jacky G.: This company is a bunch of crooks. I tried to spend a $25 gift card yesterday and they said it was expired. That's illegal in Canada. Customer service would not do anything to make this right. They were paid for the card, when ever my dad purchased it. Franky I think they owe me $25 plus interest. unfortunately I lost my cool and chucked the card at their Customer service. Thieves is the only word that comes to mind.

More Gift/Promo Card issues:

Denzil G.: I received one of the $50 gift cards for spending $200, the ad came up on Facebook at 7:30PM the day of the promotion (very helpful). Only to find the card, which I put in my wallet with the receipts, was not a gift card but a Promo card that had a short time in which to use it. Nice of the staff in the store to let people know this! Well the stuff is all going back this weekend, they better not give me the same grief they gave Grace.

CTH8R

CT sucks at ... 'Promo' cards AND Gift Cards!

Janice C.: ya, hi. I figured everyone else should know this so they don't get screwed over like I did. There are fraudulent Canadian Tire gift cards going around. I ordered two online for my parents for Christmas, and both were used on the other side of the country completely emptied AFTER I had purchased them and had them in my possession. Canadian Tire says they cannot do anything about it so ya, I wouldn't go buying their gift cards online. Maybe not in the stores either since they probably come from the same place. Canadian Tire, you have a fraudulent worker in your warehouse copying cards and screwing your customers over. Next year I will get Home Depot gift cards. I don't like supporting corrupt companies.

CTH8R

This is a big discover for Steve, but nothing new for people who've read this thread: https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/g...ing-unwanted-goods-ct-has-worst-policies.html

Steven G.: Unfortunately I need to share something very important about Canadian Tire's return policy. I'm not sure if it was always like this or if they are recent changes, but I'm sure if you are aware you might think twice about purchasing there. They DO NOT accept any returns for open packaging. I tried to return an LED light because I did not like it and they refused to take it back because I had opened the clamshell packing. I explained that there is no way I could possibly know whether I liked it or not without opening the package. I was informed that regardless, the policy is NO RETURNS for open packaging. I called the corporate office make sure this was indeed Canadian Tires policy and not just a misinformed clerk at the returns counter and yes indeed this policy was confirmed by a representative at their corporate office "NO RETURNS ON OPENED PACKAGING". I thought I would share this with my friends, as you may want to consider purchasing your products from Walmart or Costco (much more consumer friendly return policy) and they carry more or less the same merchandise.

CTH8R

Did contacting CS help Steve? LMAO!

Steven G.: I have already called customer service at your corporate office and the only resolution I received was a re-quote of your open packaging policy.

Sangria5

This is a big discover for Steve, but nothing new for people who've read this thread: https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/g...ing-unwanted-goods-ct-has-worst-policies.html

Steven G.: Unfortunately I need to share something very important about Canadian Tire's return policy. I'm not sure if it was always like this or if they are recent changes, but I'm sure if you are aware you might think twice about purchasing there. They DO NOT accept any returns for open packaging. I tried to return an LED light because I did not like it and they refused to take it back because I had opened the clamshell packing. I explained that there is no way I could possibly know whether I liked it or not without opening the package. I was informed that regardless, the policy is NO RETURNS for open packaging. I called the corporate office make sure this was indeed Canadian Tires policy and not just a misinformed clerk at the returns counter and yes indeed this policy was confirmed by a representative at their corporate office "NO RETURNS ON OPENED PACKAGING". I thought I would share this with my friends, as you may want to consider purchasing your products from Walmart or Costco (much more consumer friendly return policy) and they carry more or less the same merchandise.

Which store is the "try me out" store? Was that Costco or Walmart or both? Like most consumers, I look before I buy. And if I can't look, I don't buy. Period.

Sangria5

Icy Truck spam. What are we at now? Eight? Nine?

Sheri C.: Still no reply to my email now two weeks ago!!!!! Very disappointed

Looking at YouTube today and it seems that there are over 2 million hits on the various videos with an average 91% like attached to them. Even CTC's own facebook page has over 16,000 likes. Can someone here do the math for me?

CTH8R

April R.: I use to love Canadian Tire, but went there for the first time after about 10 years, and it's still just cheaply made Chinese junk, and there's too many stores like that these days. Plus the stores smell like tires: not healthy....

CTH8R

Oh-oh! More gift card troubles - seems like just not a good place to buy one, with crappy security and no accountability, etc.

Janice C.: ya, hi. I figured everyone else should know this so they don't get screwed over like I did. There are fraudulent Canadian Tire gift cards going around. I ordered two online for my parents for Christmas, and both were used on the other side of the country completely emptied AFTER I had purchased them and had them in my possession. Canadian Tire says they cannot do anything about it so ya, I wouldn't go buying their gift cards online. Maybe not in the stores either since they probably come from the same place. Canadian Tire, you have a fraudulent worker in your warehouse copying cards and screwing your customers over. Next year I will get Home Depot gift cards. I don't like supporting corrupt companies.

Janice Chaves i've called the number and they said they couldn't do anything

Last edited:

CTH8R

If only the rest of the CT'ers were as eager as Angry CT Guy, to let the world know what their policies actually are!

Maybe it's time for those misrepresentative "Easy Returns" signs to come down, and be replaced with the accurate wording, "All Sales Are Final"!

In the meantime, we'll just have to reply on people like Steve to do CT's job for them .... on their own Facebook page!

Steven G.: You are correct Ana. However, I am not mad. I merely want to make sure that the public is made aware of this rather strict policy that happens to not be the norm in Canadian retail stores. People need to educated that this is their policy before buying so that they do not end up in the same position as myself. I intend to do this through various media sources.

Last edited:

CTH8R

This link was posted on CT's F/B page (also known as the "flooded with complaints page", LOL!).

Canadian Tire's Return Policy Fail | Articles, Blogs

Story about not standing behind dangerously defective items:

I’m here to tell you a little story – maybe more a word of caution but in either case, if you shop at Canadian Tire you may want to read this.
I have a tendency to over talk (or in this case would it be type?) so I will try to keep to the most important details of this story. Here we go..
Back in mid-November (I can’t be certain of the exact date), Ryan and I ventured off to 1 of our 2 local Canadian Tire stores in the spirit to do some Christmas shopping. While we were there, we noticed that the Lemax Christmas village collection pieces were all on sale. I’ve always wanted a Christmas village, so we made the decision to pick up a few houses and start our village, thinking we would add a new house or 2 every year – kind of like a tradition
We picked up a the Holiday Homecoming House, Barton’s Bookstore & the Hat Trick Hockey Shop (a Canadian Tire Exclusive) by Lemax. We brought them home and started to hook them up a little later that day. All that had to be done was the batteries put in the compartments. Ryan took the hockey shop and I took one of the other buildings and got to work. Mine all went together without issue but Ry complained that he was having a hard time getting the batteries in his. When he finally did, he started saying how hot the pack was getting and it wasn’t even turned on yet! I though he was nuts, I had mine turned on and working and it wasn’t even warm. But sure enough, I tried touching it and it was BURNING hot, like couldn’t even hold on to it. So we immediately opened it back up and low-and-behold, A SMALL FIRE had sparked in the battery pack – WOW!! All I can say is I am so thankful that it happened while we were sitting right there and not one night while we were sleeping or something!

I hopped in the truck and took it right back to Canadian Tire explaining what had happened. They offered me an exchange with no hesitation at all. Even though I was a little hesitant about these things now, we decided to go ahead and get another of the same. When we got it home it all worked fine, and it sat happily on our mantle for most of the holidays.
Then, when lighting up my village for the last time on New Year’s Eve, I noticed that the light in the Hockey Shop wasn’t working. It was only about half as bright as it should be, and it was flickering quite a bit. I turned off the pack, took it off the mantle and tried to play around with it a bit, thinking maybe something had come loose. Nope, something was wrong with the light.
I decided right then and there that I was going to take the house back to Canadian Tire again. Having 2 defective of the same item screams production error to me and thought they needed to know about it. Not to mention that these things aren’t cheap and we didn’t want to run the risk of forgetting about it until next year, setting it up and the whole thing goes up in flames. No thank you.
I admit, through no fault but my own, we didn’t get to Canadian Tire until just yesterday. And I didn’t have the receipt, well I couldn’t find the receipt, but I’ve NEVER had an issue before. Besides, I wasn’t looking for a refund just a store credit as has always been done in the past. Also, according to Canadian Tire’s Return Policy, if you don’t have a receipt, the store can go back 90 days for receipt look ups. What happened next was a TOTAL SURPRISE!
Ryan and I walked up to the Customer Service Counter and I explained the the cashier that the item was defective and that I would like to return it. We also explained that the first one had caught fire and that there seems to be a problem with this particular item. We were than informed that Canadian Tire does not accept returns on Christmas Decoration?!?! Since when?
There was no explanation, no apology and no attempt to satisfy a clearly disappointed customer. No one seemed to care that their products are dangerous and defective. In the end, we wound up just leaving the fire-hazard of a Christmas Decoration on the Customer Service Counter and walked out of the store.
I came home and did a little research. NO WHERE in the Canadian Tire Return Policy does it state that Christmas Decorations cannot be returned, refunded or exchanged. (see for yourself here) I was able to do it in November, so why not January? I wasn’t looking for an exchange (which I knew was impossible) or any sort of ridiculous compensation, just an in-store credit!
This whole scene really upset both Ryan and I myself. There are so many “what ifs” that could have changed the outcome of this story. Luckily, we are only out around $25 but it could have been so much worse.
To top it all off, Canadian Tire has made 2 very loyal shoppers quite upset, over $25! That and now we’ve told you, and word of mouth travels very fast!
I can’t say we won’t ever shop at Canadian Tire again, because we will, but you can bet I will look elsewhere to spend my money first. Maybe a store that values its customers a little more?
What are your thoughts? Have you ever had an issue like this with Canadian Tire or any other store? Please share with us on our Canadian Coupons | Free Samples Canada FB Page! We’d love to hear it!

Last edited:

CTH8R

Najah A.: I use to LOVE Canadian tire. I can't buy with confidence. If you want to return anything, put an hour aside because it takes that long even if no line up. When you send a complaint to head office, they never call you back. Big fail CT

CTH8R

Valerie S.C.: North side Lethbridge store sucks!!! Worst employees ever. They are rude and not helpful whatsoever

CTH8R

That battery seems to be the slice of John's well-founded grudge against CT:

John K.: They sold me the wrong battery and refused to give me my money back.

John K.: If you did your best, why do so many people complain?

John K.: How can Canadian Tire get so many complaints and not realize their treatment of customers has to change?

John K.: When you contact their customer service people, they stand behind their local dealers. I will never step into a Canadian Tire Store again.

CTH8R

CT is quite an innovator ... at finding new ways to suck!

Rick V.D.: speaking of getting ripped off. want to make sure everyone knows, if you purchase something from cdn tire and return it, if you don't have the cdn tire money u got when you made the purchase they deduct it from you credit amount. so canadian tire takes your real money for their play money...a complete ripoff. IT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!! another reason to NOT shop at cdn tire...

1wildhorse

CT is quite an innovator ... at finding new ways to suck!

Rick V.D.: speaking of getting ripped off. want to make sure everyone knows, if you purchase something from cdn tire and return it, if you don't have the cdn tire money u got when you made the purchase they deduct it from you credit amount. so canadian tire takes your real money for their play money...a complete ripoff. IT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!! another reason to NOT shop at cdn tire...

thats just funny.i never knew that.makes sense i spose.canadian tire are mickey mouse as we would say in the UK and their money is the same....

CTH8R

Hmmm ..... do you suppose people should even bother doing what the Sys Admin says, and contact Customer Support?

Perhaps there are other kind Canadians who've been down that road already, and could advise us?

Michelle N.: Don't bother. You'll just get a generic response and they will tell you there is nothing they can do about the behaviour of their employees because they are franchisee's that run the stores. You would think that CT would be concerned with their image being represented this way. They aren't.

CTH8R

An interesting prespective, on the recurring barrage of customer complaints, many posted to CT's own Facebook page:

If you read any complaint site whatsoever, you see that 100% customer satisfaction is not reality. Each business has its distractors. You can take hundreds of complaints at CT and see hundreds of complaints at Walmart, home depot, target, etc. Just proves the point that all these extremely successful businesses stil can't satisfy 100% of everyone that walks through their doors.

This is really just a variation on Angry-Sangria-Guy's old theme: ‘If there is even 1 customer who isn’t 100% satisfied, then the blizzard of Crappy Tire complaints can be ignored’.

Either way, the CTer is just trying to convince consumers to ignore the incredible out-pouring of complaints about CT, many of them posted on CT’s very own Facebook page!

And when comparing CT to other similar retailers, there is always the question: does CT’s service suck more than the others?

It was reported previously that some of the common, recurring complaints about CT seldom (if ever) appear on the Walmart page. Things like Repair Only policies, and (not surprisingly) reports of Bait & Switch.

This is true despite the fact that customers can post to Walmart Canada’s wall – something the CTers would never allow. Yet Canadians are still willing to find a way to get their complaints out there, despite all the deletions, LOL!

1wildhorse

and i dont believe wal mart actually delete any negative postings.from what i gather they actually look into them,and respond to emails etc etc etc...