CT Challenger

It's ironic that a familiar store with the word 'tire' right in its name would do so poorly at stocking, selling, installing, servicing and providing warranties for its name-sake product.

Yet their gradual decline in the automotive field is well-known, despite their recent attempts to reverse this trend.

But their supposed efforts don't seem to be paying off, based on recent comments.

Here's one from just a few minutes ago, posted to their very own facebook 'fan' page, Canadian Tire | Facebook

Jąŷ-Sĭn Dŕűëŧt: I have an issue...i went into your winnipeg, unicity store and purchased a moto-master AW at 205-75-R15 well they installed a 205-70-R15 and well after being parked right after it was deflated because wrong tire size...well here is the big problem, not only did i sit in ur store for 3 hours i am now here another 3 hours stuck while im waiting for you ll to fix your mess up.. I dont think thia is right, 6 hours total ive wasted to buy your product and have it installed...not very good canadian tire...not good at all

CT Challenger

Here's very detailed story of poor sales and installation, both online and in stores, from this site: https://www.facebook.com/SimonizPressureWasherRipoffAndCrap

Letter to Canadian Tire from an unhappy customer!
by Simoniz Pressure washer Ripoff on Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 2:20pm ·
I was searching for people who have had problems and came across this. Enjoy!

An Open Letter To Canadian Tire:

Dear Canadian Tire,

I realize that you are a Canadian company. Based on my 30+ years of experience in Ontario, my frequent trips to your rubber-scented store with my father over the years, and the implications of your name, I assumed that you would be a wise choice for me to purchase tires from.

I was wrong.

I am not quite sure how a store named CANADIAN mothereffing TIRE could suck so damn much at the entire process of selecting, purchasing, receiving and installing tires, explaining warranty, and recording info like my odometer reading.

My personal experience was PAINFUL when purchasing tires at Canadian Tire. I called to ask what the best option would be for my wee car. I had it narrowed to 3 choices (What?! The New Husband refused me to research this shit for weeks on end like I normally do, so I had to act fast), all of which your tire rep insisted were "fine tah-ers".

Could he comment on the all season-ness? No. Would any be better in wet conditions? Not sure.

Okay, fine, I'll take the Michelins.

You have 4 in the store? Perfect, can you please hold them and I'll bring my car in?

No, you won't hold them? Ok. What if I give you my credit card info? No? Can I just come into the store now? No? Because you are busy? WTF?

So I called back later to schedule an appointment. The new gent explained that the system wasn't working right and that he didn't know what to do, but I "could just come in when we open tomorrow first thing, and if you get here first you hopefully shouldn't have a problem".

Reassuring.

Gee, sounds swell. I really hope I can get up early, head to your shop, HOPE you have the 4 tires I want, and ASSUME you will install them then for me.

Screw it. If in-store wasn't reliable, I'd order online.

Despite the name, they suck when it comes to tire purchases.

Dear God. If any store has ABSOLUTELY no communication between online tire transactions and the store, Canadian Tire takes the prize when ordering tires online.

Be advised, dear Canadian Tire customer, that your online confirmation is NOT a receipt, but that you will get a receipt in store. HOWEVER, once you get to the store, the store will tell you there is no record of purchase and no receipt to give you, because "you didn't buy the tires from us. You bought them online."

Uhh... but...?

Canadian Tire online emailed me at least three times to tell me to CALL MY MOTHEREFFING SELECTED STORE to schedule my installation.

Said local store had no record of my tires. For days. And days. And a few more days, while assuring they would call me once my tires were delivered to the store.

They did not call. Ever.

Online emailed me AGAIN.

So, dear Canadian Tire customer, after you walk in to the store with your online confirmation and wait 15 minutes for them to locate the tires that they do, in fact, have in store with your name on...

- You will get to hear the guys at the desk takes bets on what one employee decides to "sell" someone that day (Niiiiiice).

- You will be temporarily talked into an additional $7/tire warranty to replace your tire because (and I quote) "the included warranty isn't really a warranty and you're screwed if damage happens near your sidewall."

- Your husband will tell you the extra warranty is bullshit and you will save yourself $60.

- You will have to call the store 3 more times, and make another return trip because they have 'accidentally' recorded your odometer reading 8,000 km LOWER than your odometer reading, which impacts your not-very-comprehensive "comprehensive" warranty. (Be sure they correct this in their system with a new work order, even if they protest, tell you there is nothing they can do if you've already "cashed out", and offer to correct it in pen, in their own hand writing).

- Don't give them the business or the satisfaction of forcing you into an overpriced alignment "check" for $50, or an alignment for $90. Take your shit elsewhere. It will NOT void your warranty if you don't get it done then and there. I'm going to get it done at Active Green & Ross.

Even your main customer service line wouldn't confirm if not getting an alignment would void my warranty.

In truth, it would seem that uneven wear due to misalignment is not covered in your warranty, but by the sounds of it, not much is covered in your warranty... so... as a Canadian Tire customer, why would you want to spend another $100 at Crappy Tire?

Anyway Canadian Tire, if you are truly looking to get back to being a leader in tire sales once more, you have a hell of a lot of work to do. PATHETIC, after spending nearly $1,000 in goods and services, along with much too long on the phone and in store.

Apathetically furiously yours, Stephanie

p.s. The more I hear that damn whistle on your commercials, the more rage-y I get. Just sayin'.

p.p.s. I look forward to your cease and desist letter.

p.p.p.s. Yandie had it right... I forgot that my father has referred to your company as Crappy Tire for as long as I can remember. How... relevant.

Last edited:

CTH8R

Here's a story from this thread, June 2010: https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/personal-stories/673-canadian-tire-fails-tires.html#post1935

Bought used 944 with winter tires on it. It came with a set of summers. I put the summers on but they were so bad I thought the car was going to rattle itself apart. Initial plan was to drive to the US on said crappy tires and get new ones there for about 1/2 the price of what I would pay up here. However, the tires were so crappy that I didn't want to make the drive all the way there on them. So since Canadian Tire has the word "tire" in their name I figured that was at least one thing they couldn't screw up and they might have the right sizes in stock since the Porsche takes two different sized tires and has two different sized rims.

Canadian Tire experience:

So I go to the Canadian Tire in Milton. They have one size in stock. They tell me the store on Woodlawn in Guelph has the other size in stock. I buy the one set in Milton and drive to the Woodlawn store (I was going to Guelph anyway). I buy the second set at the Woodlawn store but they tell me I need to go to a "specialty shop" to have them installed. Apparently I was wrong in assuming that having the word "tire" in the name meant they'd be half decent at them. Anyway, I ask if they can ask the Stone Road location if they can install them. I am told that they cannot because it would be too hard to explain over the phone (Um, why? There's only so many measurements on a wheel/tire combo to discuss that could make a difference... anyway, on with the story...).

So I drive to the Stone Road location. They tell me they have no idea what the people at the Woodlawn store were talking about and they can install them but they do not have time. I need to come back the next day first thing in the morning. I do so. I am the very first person in the store when they open. It still takes them over 4 hours to install my tires.

A day or two later I realize they have screwed up bad. They put the larger tires on one side of the car and the smaller tires on the other. What the hell? So I stop at the Milton store on the way home from work (I live near Guelph and work in Mississauga). They basically tell me the people at the other store must be retarded or something and "fix" the problem (so I thought). I double checked this time that the larger tires were on the back and smaller on the front. All good.

A few days later I notice there is a large chunk missing out of my body work near the bottom of the car. Obviously from a misplaced lift or something. There is no way something on the road caused the dent. As far as I'm concerned someone at Canadian Tire did this as I would have noticed it when I swapped the winter and summer wheels and no one else has lifted the car. I send an email to Customer Service complaining about my bad service and that I would like them to repair this chunk missing from the bottom of my car. I get no response (as I expected).

So today (many weeks later) while working on the car I thought it was odd that the driver's side front wheel was lined up with the fender while the other one was inset about 1-2 inches. Upon farther investigation I realize that on the driver's side, even though the tires are correct, the rims are swapped. The larger (wider) rim is on the front and the smaller rim on the back. So the smaller tire is on the larger rim and the larger tire on the smaller rim. What the hell?

Anyway, now I'm to the point where I feel I should be reimbursed the installation cost ($120 or something like that) due to all the hassle and repeat visits I had to make; have the tires/rims swapped around for free to make it "right"; and that they should pay to repair the dent/missing chunk in my body work. If I wanted hassle/to waste time I would've just driven to the US and got tires for half the price.

Sorry for the long story. They just piss me off so much. It's like they really don't want my business. Every time I'm about to go there I'm thinking, "No, they did crappy work last time. You're going to regret it." But I give them the chance anyway. Then they screw it up again. From now on I think I'm just going to rent a car if I need emergency work done on the weekend/evenings than submit myself to Canadian Tire's abuse.

CT Challenger

Another story, from November here: https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/personal-stories/673-canadian-tire-fails-tires.html#post6611

A guy I know noticed one of his tires was little flat and found a nail in it. The tires are less than a year old and maybe 10K on them. He was out of town in Cobourg ON. The guy was told the tire could not be fixed. This fellow has some mental illness and is slow. So Canadian tire sold him a new tire for $196.+. He showed me the tire and I nearly flipped --- the tire was almost brand new --- all it had was a roofing nail in it. I took it to my garage --- $10 repair + HST. If the tire had gone flat on the highway --- CAA would have fixed it for $0 as part of their service. I could not believe how Cdn Tire took advantage of this guy or why the company would bother. Anyway they made an enemy out of me a lot of other people over this matter. I can be a formitable enemy. I am going after getting this guys money back. Anyon elase with similar stories.

CTH8R

Elaine Childerhose-Smith: I ordered a set of 4 Michelin X ice 3 tires on Sunday October 21st. The website said I would receive an e-mail from the store and I could phone to SCHEDULE installation. Got the e-mail a week later, called the store and was told, "No appointments for tires." I was pretty disappointed with the misinformation followed by the terrible attitude of the automotive staff. You're website is deceptive - and many of the store staff are rude!

CTH8R

Brent Greentree: Hahahaahaha, tried to buy TIRES at 2 different locations in Red Deer and couldn't get them?!? Canadian Tire??? Hahahaahahahahahaa Want some Christmas lights??? Wtf??

CTH8R

Linda Mclean Roy: Canadian Tire is a store that really sucks. No warranty outside Canada for the things they are supposed to be known for "TIRES" PLease look into their store policies before buying, as it is "BUYERS BEWARE" CANADIAN TIRE YOU REALLY SUCK!!!!
6 minutes ago · Like

CTH8R

Mario Perrier: I wouldent take a wheelbarrow with a flat tire to your store in newminas after my experience purchasing 4 tires and having them installed and telling them not to use a impact on them and they still did, when it came time to change a flat tire could not remove the wheel nuts and ended up breaking a tire iron and 2 powerbars and took the truck back to there store where they had to cut all the wheel studs off with torches and then gave me a bill for over $350 witch I told them to shove up there @** because they where the cause of the problem

CTH8R

Paul Keating: The Kanata store destroyed one of my summer tires (tore off 6" of the bead) when swapping my new winters on and scraped up my aluminum wheels in the process. Offered me a "discount" on a new tire. New tires vibrate like crazy. Taking the truck somewhere else to get them broken down, remounted and rebalanced. How's that for "Tire Smart"?

CTH8R

Laurie W Baker: just like to mention that i went to can. tire to get my tire put on a rim with one way tread,went to pick it up later,it was on backwards,after waiting to get it installed.and 7 days later,its leaking...am I tire smart,not for going to can.tire im NOT!!!

CTH8R

From the Facebook 'fan' page:

Allan Gates: I had my snow tires put on at your KV NB store. They weren't even able to do that correctly. One was flat this morning. And they made me pay for the tow truck to take it back to be fixed properly. Is this the level of incompetence and poor customer service your customers should expect?

CTH8R

Sean McGonigle: Tire Smart Challenge : If you want good tire service you'd be smart to avoid Canadian Tire.

CTH8R

Bon Balsillie: Took my car to Canadian Tire to get my winter tires on, They stole 2 of my centre hubs off the wheels, and said that's how I came in. I inspect my car every time before going into any shop. They cost $34.00 plus taxes each. I will never shop at Canadian Tire Again.

CTH8R

Les Berry: Ordered some winter tires from Canadian tire when the were on sale over a week ago for $187 and they didn't order them, now they want $249 each for them. Guess you can't trust them to keep a good price for you anymore!

CTH8R

Something was posted by Jame Woo on CT's facebook thread on winter tires.

But, now it's gone!

All she got was "could you please contact customerservice@canadiantire.com with your contact info about this? We will be in touch."

Pretty sad!

Last edited:

CTH8R

Jose Da Silva: Bunch of crooks...damaged my rim and blamed someone else...customer service gave me the song and dance. Terrible place to do business with. Treat customers badly. Now they are suffering and have started to lay off people just before Christmas. I'll never ever buy anything at CT and my kids won 't either.

CTH8R

Dave Harding: Maybe if they fixed the Fort McMurray store so it had proper service and a little bit of pride in the CT brand I wouldn't avoid it like the plague.

CTH8R

Do they know they are wrong, but say these things to get extra money? Or are they so incompetent that they really believe what they say? Greedy or Incompetent? So hard to tell ...

Tracy Tran: I swear to never trust canadian tire auto shop, my tire which was originally purchased from here had a slow leak. The mechanic took less than 10 minutes came back told me it can't be fixed. Immediately gave me options for a new tire heck he gave me a quote on full set of 4 new ones. With doubts I took my car to another well known tire shop he fixed it for under 20 dollars never trust these crooks with ur car!

Khris Tobin: I also took my car to Canadian Tire to have a slow leak fixed a couple of years ago and they told me my rim was bent and gave me a quote for 4 rims? Took my car to get a second opinion somewhere else and they told me nothing wrong with the rim? Found out back then that the tire changers are people hired off the street.

CTH8R

Ash Obirek My buddy bought new tires plus installation from them and they never tightened one of the rims back on, he ended up losing two lug nuts on the highway plus the car was shaking like crazy .that's just one of a few incidents that happened to a few ppl I know . I like the store but don't take your car there .

Elaine Moreau Was first person at Canadian tire - to my winter tires put on my car - was told there were no other vehicles from the night before and my car would be first - what a crock !! Sitting here and watching as 4 cars have been taken into the shop - next tire change over WILL NOT be done at Canadian Tire - zero customer service !!!!!!!

Johny Ennis Not sure why your store is called Canadian Tire. The past three weeks it seems you never have any! I've been trying to purchase winter tires from your company for three weeks, and have not been able to as your stores in St. John's seem to perpetually be "out of stock". Especially the tires which are supposed to be the sale of the week! Out of stock the day of!
Today when I went to look at other tires, the sales person kept trying to sell me the most expensive tires. I settled on a set of four Altimax winter tires which were "in stock", and on sale, but when I went to put my car in for the tire change the sales person said I'd have to leave it there until Friday morning, and he still couldn't guarantee that the tires I was purchasing would be in stock by then. Now I'm going some where else!
Seriously folks, get your point of sales system together!

CTH8R

Liana De Santis Never will I use your automotive center for tires changes, was misquoted and they would not honor the price. The kid even misquoted someone else while I was waiting and yet they would not face up to it. Worst was to be told you can always go next door to walmart if your unhappy, I was utterly shocked at that point. Worst customer service ever.

Liana De Santis @canadian tire I have already sent my detailed complaint to your customer service and am hoping for a response. On my receipt their is also the store email which i cc in my complaint however it was invalid and bounced back. Can I have the store email as I want the manager aware of what occurred and how employees tell customers to go to walmart, still in shock.