CTH8R

The length of this Facebook post has to be one of the longest Canadian Tire has received:

---

Corey M.:

Please do not buy any bike from Canadian tire... They have the absolute worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life.

It was a nightmare to try to return a bike that was broke when we bought it and still broke to this day.

We bought our bike from Canadian tire and that day me and my girlfriend proceeded to go on bike ride. At the beginning of our bike ride we noticed that her chain kept falling off, which was ok but really strange, then realized the bike wouldn't change gears, you couldn't adjust the size of the handle bars and we ended up walking our bike straight back to Canadian tire. We told the Canadian tire representative that we had just bought this bike 2 hours ago and it's broke, you sold us a broken bike. He said I'm sorry but there is nothing we can do for you, our policy here is that we do not take back bikes after they are bought. We informed him that we were unaware of any policy and that the bike is broken.. We would like the same bike but just one that actually works, or a store credit, anything to get this piece of crap off our hands.

He told us he would take our bike in and get the 'bike guy' to take a look at it on Monday. After all of this we filed a complaint and tried to contact higher office because it just didn't seem right to pay $300 to buy a broken product only to not be able to be compensated for it, in the form of a store credit or replacement. Especially when none of the staff were knowledgeable or gave us a buyers warning regarding such a product.

So our complaint to head office got us a phone call from the service department. We explained our story on which we feel robbed of our $300. I mean we just expected to buy a product that was in working condition not broken upon buying it. Normally if you are any major business within North America and a very unhappy customer has a complaint regarding a 'broken product' when you buy it, you would think they would be a little accommodating. Anyways it was far from accommodating. She stated that returning bikes is against their policy and we should of been aware. Meanwhile, there was no signs anywhere regarding this policy, nor did the person helping us retrieve the bike in that department or the lady at the cashier or even on the receipt.

We ended up not getting any respect from the customer service from head office and merely left us walking away with our tails between our legs.

We waited to see how long it would take to be contacted back from the 'bike guy' who was fixing our bike... It wasn't until 3 weeks later when we had to call ourselves and ask about our bike that was apparently being 'fixed '.

Our bike wasn't fixed, we still have the same problem and our bike is sitting in the garage unused and we are out $300.

This has actually been the worst display of customer service I have ever experienced and I have never had such a sour taste in my mouth regarding such a major company within Canada. I don't understand how you expect to compete and stay competitive in the market when you have such terrible customer service. The times are changing and no company wants to see an unhappy customer. Places like walmart will wipe you guys out If you continue to pursue terrible relationships with your clients. You are supposed to represent as Canada's number 1 go to store for all household needs... But you have become last on my list and I will never shop at your store again. I know I am only one person but as you continue to treat clients the way you do it will begin to multiple more and more.

I will be writing 'buyer beware' warnings for your bike products this coming spring and let my town know of how poor my experience again.

I hope no one else has to go trough this.

A very unhappy former customer!

CTH8R

Glad to see at least one person heeded the warnings of their fellow Canadians:

Sina D.: glad i just read all these comments. and i wanted to go there tomorrow to buy me a new ike. looks like i spend $200 more and go to a bike retailer with quality bikes.

CTH8R

And that was BEFORE this was posted ...

Miles J.: The best bike from Cambodian tire is a bike lock... Poor quality bikes, heavy as truck that are put together by total nimrods who do think handlebars n wheels don't NEED to go on properly... Thanks CT, so VERY glad I paid you the extra $20 to put my bike together improperly so I won't have any further issues. Ya flipping right... Stick to angle grinders n Jerry cans... This place is pathetic for bikes... No wonder the guys carrying his bike... They forgot to tighten the headset and now the head tube is oval and bearing poppin out... What a waste of $350. Support your local bike shop and ride something they stand behind, rather then some retread that slang low end car tires. Ps - Canadian tire - thanks for helping me out soooo much... Guess you were wrong and spokes aren't supposed to go 7-8mm past the rim and wear thru my tube every other ride.... WTF?

CTH8R

Matt D.: I bought my bike during the sale last month. I was shocked at the no return policy even if it hadn't been ridden yet (once it leaves the store you are out of luck).

CTH8R

Ash R.: I bought a bike at Canadian tire and it was crap. I tried to return it and they gave me a really hard time.

CTH8R

Shelly S.: i bought a bike fr there 2 yrs ago & my bike says shimano parts on it but i looked everywhere & there isnt a shimano part on it. i called the store and got told too bad and 2yrs later the bike doesnt work properly. The crank is shot and the gears never worked right.

CTH8R

Jaye L.: Bikes from Canadian Tire are throwaways. No point in servicing them as something breaks immediately after you fix something else. Support

CTH8R

Sandi H.M.: YES I was behind a lady in line once she was returning a faulty bike and they would not exchange or return her money, she had to leave it there for repairs and be without a bike for who knows how long. You want a budget bike, go to Walmart and have 90 no hassle return policy. Sorry CT but I do not agree with your polices

CTH8R

Ernie E.M.: It don't matter if you walk out the door, get to your truck, then turn around and go back in. NO returns on the bikes. No warraty at all on anything

CTH8R

Dave C.: A couple months ago I bought a bike. Worst thing I have ever done, I took it out for practice ride after I got home and gears were loose. Brought it back to Canadian tire to get serviced they took it into back and said they fixed the problem, drove back home took it out for a ride. As I pushed down on peddle it gave out I nearly went head first over handle bars. Took the bike back to see what they could do. No help was offered not even an apology pretty poor customer service.

CTH8R

Sylvain G.: Best suggestion for a bike DO NOT BY A BIKE FROM CANADIAN TIRE. I Bought 2 Bikes (( Schwinn Grande 6.1 ) for a total of 1400$ both bikes were not assembled properly and have been back to there repair shop for over 2 weeks now and no one to repair them. So basicly spent all that money and got nothing for it... Customer service is the worst I have ever seen... Even after talking to customer service head office nothing has changed... NO REFUND AVAILABLE OR EXCHANGE ON BIKES SO BASICLY BY A BIKE AND WALK CAUSE YOUR BIKE WILL NEVER WORK PROPERLY....Thank you Canadian Tire for making our lives so easy.... Pffff what a joke

CTH8R

Thumper M.: the bikes are absolutley terrible too,bought one on SALE for $300.The first ride it was broken.Spent 3 hours in the store for them to try and figure it out.Now its been 3 days and still no bike

Thumper M.: i talked with the director general of the store and he didn t care.I don t think contacting customer service will do much more

CTH8R

I'm a bit behind on the customers' responses to the latest bicycle spam. Why do they keep provoking Canadians, when the response is so overwhelmingly negative?

Oh well - at least it helps to get the word out that their bicycle are non-returnable crap!

---

Chris A.H.B: I got a bike from Canadian tire and after 1 ride I took it back the front bearing fell out of the stem. The second bike I got as a replacement I took it home and had to fix & adjust the front derailleur.
Ride it 2 times and the right crank arm bent. No impact, jarring, damage to it and when I took it back they refused to fix it. They insisted that I hit something or got hit by something. The bike went into the basement and I never rode the thing again until I got free parts to fix it. I will never buy another bike from Canadian tire again.

Jeremy C.: Dont buy a bike at ct unless your just looking for scrap metal. I used to work there. The bikes are complete garbage.

Gerald S: Do yourself a favour, if you need a new bike this Spring head to your local bike shop. In most cases they have bikes for riders of all abilities and budgets. What you get at a bike shop that you WON'T get at CT:
1. A bike properly sized for you by knowledgable sales staff
2. A bike assembled and tuned for you by a professional bike mechanic, not some pimple faced 17 year old who builds bikes when he's not cleaning toilets.
3. A shop that services what they sell, once you're out the door at CT, you're on your own for service and many bike shops won't service department store junk.
Again don't be intimidated by bike shops. They have good prices, knowledgable staff, trained mechanics and they want to earn your business. Will you pay a few buck more? Perhaps. But in the long run that bike will require less service, fewer replacement parts and will run better longer. The difference you pay up front (if any) you'll get back in no time.

Eldon J.: Bought a bike at Canadian tire two weeks ago. Rode it for 45 minutes. Had to take it back. Would have been built better by a group of three year olds being instructed by a guy with no arms who didn't speak their language.

Michael P.J.: If CT were to sell bikes they would need to get a bike that wasn't throw away! There are good bikes out there, that don't cost an arm and a leg! They have good components, the problem is that they don't have qualified bike mechanics, they need to treat it like their automotive dept, hire mechanics who can fix the problems! Otherwise stay out of the bike market!

Eric M.: This is the perfectly right backdrop for this style of these world famous boat anchors. A 45 - 55 lb mobile boat anchor that looks pretty till you try to ride it or it rains and becomes an instant ruster

Johnny W.: Canadian tire bikes are downright awful. If you want 15 year old kids selling you bikes then go here, but they have 0 clue whats going on

Linda W.: Yeah, bikes aside, Canadian Tire, as a chain is notorious for underwhelming staff who don't know what products their own store carries. I've often gone back to the staff member who told me "We don't carry anything like that" to tell then what aisle I finally found "it" in! You're always better off taking to older staffers, the one's with grey hair, if you really need something.

Jeannine E.: The return policy is: no returns or exchanges in bikes. The second you leave the store you are SOL if you change your mind or if anything goes wrong. I ended up selling my brand new bike on Craiglist at a loss due to tailbone injury (not caused by bike). Since then I have refused to ever shop there again - 4 years and counting!

Crystal G.: total waste of money......I talked with a dad in a ct parking lot today, shared my experiences with the bikes I'd bought and the crap customer service.......I smiled when he took his daughters bike back inside. smart man! ct stinks for bikes.......and I stinks because I actually used to like their store
good to see im not alone!

Sheldon D.: I bought a super cycle a couple years ago that came with tires so big that the gears couldn't be adjusted enough to shift in the lower gears without the derailer rubbing on the tire. What a rip off. However, I am happy due to the fact that I bought a REAL bike now. Thanks CTC :)

Stephen S.: I'd agree with most of the Canadian Tire bikes being of poor quality but sometimes they do have a gem or two...an example is my Schwinn 240-DSX. I replaced most of the components with better quality ones but the frame on that bike is the bomb. Also the quality of a cheap bike at a bike store is just as bad as anything at CT although you won't get gouged as much at CT.

Anita M.: not only does the too-bad-its-yours return policy apply to bikes, apparently it would also, we're told, apply to refurbished expensive items like lawn mowers, tractors, etc.. They don't allow you to even test them to see if they work, even in the parking lot.....you buy it, hope it works and once you leave the front door it's "aus de la vista, baby"

Corey M.: Just because they don't specialize in something doesn't mean they shouldn't take pride or responsibility for what they are selling.. Just because its a $300 bike doesn't mean they can just sweep us under the rug and forget about it.
I want consideration and have the customer service and Canadian tire as a whole take responsibility for their products they are selling to the every day average customer.
I feel I am not being recognized and I feel Canadian tire thinks its ok to ignore this huge fault in their customer service responsibilities and duty to the consumer.
A corporation as a whole should recognize their products had defaults and the customers hard earned dollars shouldn't have to suffer the consequences for it

Last edited:

CTH8R

And this one deserves a post all of its own:

Ernie E.E.G.: my real name is Laurence, (to verify I can send you a message from my FB account anytime you like). I was talking to whomever is your Admin on Facebook back in July. It came to light again because I just had to replace the crank set in November, the front brake pads are completely gone now, and the paint on the swing arm being chipped like that just plain pisses me off. Pardon my language. Even after this whole fiasco, I do still enjoy shopping at CT. Mainly your tools because of warranty. Regardless, I am pissed over the bikes. I spent $900 in 2 months on bikes and get 2, possibly 3, lemons? (I have the receipts to prove it! 2 were on my girlfriends CT account!!!) The man that works at assembling these bikes is doing a halfass job in Windsor, Ontario at the Lauzon and Tecumseh store! To cut a washer in half and use as a shim instead of getting straight forks? The forks are very bent, not just a little bent!! So bad that it burnt the front disk pad on an angle. The tires were more than half flat at the store so I couldn't even test ride it! Not to mention the chips in the black paint on the rear swingarm! There is probably 30+ of them! The other question is why does the Supercycle Ascent mountain bike have the same shocks, front/rear at $159, as my $599, I got for $299 on sale (is that why? On sale things are less in quality?), CCM Apex? And after tightening my crank twice it is now grinding like there is no grease!! I freakin ride the bike 2 times a day, for 8-10 minutes either way to work!! It's been a horrible experience! I hope this isn't just a waste of time. Prove me wrong!
P.S. I wrote the most part in July but never sent it. I just came across it and it refueled my anger besides the fact of having to replace more things now. I sold my Schwinn at a loss and have spent money on my Apex to make it safe. My girlfriend rode her bike a few times and it seems good but not untill I spent hours going over every part.
Signed,
One Unhappy Customer

CTH8R

Ernie is now on this site, too!

Here's some follow-ups he posted to Crappy Tire's Facbook page:

---

Ernie E.G.M.: Customer service talks in circles. I let this go last year but ain'y gonna do it this time. I am sick and tired of the lack of respect from CT! DO NOT BUY ANY BIKE FROM CT!!! I spent almost $1000 last year on three bikes from CT. 2 were put together so bad that it messed up parts! The front forks on my APEX were bent and caliper shimmed with a cut in half washer!!!

Ernie E.G.M.: This one actually made me think something was going to get done: Thank you for contacting our office regarding your concern.
We are sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction with Canadian Tire. Additional information is required so that we may proceed in addressing your concerns. Kindly provide us with the following information as soon as possible.
- Canadian Tire product number of the bicycle
- Full name
- Store of purchase and date of purchase
- Daytime contact number
- Full mailing address
To provide this information, simply respond to this email or contact us at the toll-free number provided below. Our Customer Service Representatives are available to assist you Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. (EST) and Saturday and Sunday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (EST).
We thank you for providing us with the opportunity to respond.
Corporate Customer Relations
Canadian Tire Corporation Limited
1-800-387-8803

Ernie E.G.M.: And this is my response:
Good afternoon. I will answer questions in order below. I contacted the store last year and told my story and the guy said was to bring it in. I was already done replacing the front shocks and I did not want whoever put it together to work on it again. I have spent what I saved buying this bike. Other than a few basics it is a completly different looking bike. But if I wanted to spend $600+ on a bike I would have from the get go. Not piece by piece. If your going to call and say "What can we do for you?", I will just hang up. At this point I am very disappointed. You need to wow me to make me change my tune. If not save your breath. I am in the process of completly going over the 3rd bike I bought from you guys last year, to make sure my girlfriend is safe, and so far the only gripe I have is the minimul use of grease. The guy at the store needs to retire. I see him sitting in the store sometimes putting bbq's and bikes together. Blank stare to customers. Cutting a washer in half to shim something is a joke. I have worked on bikes my whole life since I was small kid and could never see where you would put twisted forks on a bike and shim the caliper with half a washer. The replacement forks don't cost him any money. If I was a novice this could have hurt me. Give me an address and I will send you the forks and the cut washer or I can email you a clear picture of both. With flat tires and no test drive I was forced to keep it because of your no return policy for assembled bikes. I am done rambling. Wow me.

Ernie E.G.M.: And this is the end result:
Thank you for contacting our office.
We apologize that this product did not meet your expectations and thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. Here are the warranty details for our bicycles:
Occasionally, a bicycle will have a manufacturer's defect in workmanship or materials in the frame or one of the parts. The replacement warranty applies only to manufacturing defects in either the frame or the forks. Defects in other parts are covered by the repair warranty. There is a 1-year repair warranty for parts with a manufacturer's defect.
The warranty does not cover: Any malfunction caused by abuse, neglect, accident or improper maintenance; broken parts due to normal wear and tear; wheel truing or bent rims; punctured tubes or tires; bent frames.
We provide free adjustment of components such as brakes, shifters, seats, handlebars and spokes within 30 days of purchase on bikes we've assembled at our store. If your bike requires adjustments after the 30-day period we can provide this service. Regular charges will apply. All warranty work requires proof of purchase. Please keep your warranty information along with your receipt.
We have taken the liberty of forwarding your comments to the General Manager at the Windsor store. We would encourage you to communicate with the Windsor Manager.
Please be assured Canadian Tire Corporation and our Associate stores strive to provide both quality products and excellent service to our customers.
We thank you for providing us with the opportunity to respond.
Corporate Customer Relations
Canadian Tire Corporation Limited

Ernie E.G.M.: Bunch of BS. What will the General Manager do for me? Nothing. No matter what any of you commenting think, you buy something that is already together, you expect it to work. It's complete BS that we should have to learn how to put a bike together just to buy one that is put together! Good thing I am very knowledgeable or I could have been seriously hurt!

Ernie E.G.M.: And trust me, I ain't going away! I want everyone to know!! DO NOT BUY BICYCLES FROM CT!!!

CTH8R

Vanessa N.: I am so upset with Canadian Tire....my husband purchased a bike for my daughter yesterday, got it home and realized the bike had two different tires(rims and sizes!!!). Then if that wasn't enough, went online to check out the same bike and it was priced at $99.99...Selling in store for $139.99!!! I am livid!!! Went back to get service this morning about this issue and got passed from associate to associate. They wanted us to return the bike but we wanted THIS bike, no more in stock apparently. The associate informed us that there is not two different tires on the bike so my husband proceeded to show him other bikes they had in stock and sure enough, two tires are different on those as well. Why are you guys switching parts on bikes like this.

Vanessa N.: and another thing. My husband noticed that another bike on the sales floor had a tire that wad warped. Why are you selling junk like this? Poor, poor service and quality products, sales associates, and overall experience. I shop at Canadian tire on a regular basis but will not be shopping there again after this experience unless we can get this issue fixed.

CTH8R

Kris H.: I am very disappointed with Canadian Tire. We bought one of your better bikes for my son in November for his birthday. Well he was crushed after waiting for the warmer weather to discover he couldn't ride it due to poor assembly. When we asked to return the bike or even exchange it we were told no. That we could bring in the bike and they would get their technician to fix it. By the way only works one day a week. How do I tell a 6 year old he will need to continue to wait to ride his birthday present and that there is no guarantee the bike can be fixed! This is a really poor policy to have in place when clearly the problem was when someone assembled the bike wrong from the store!

CTH8R

Imraan G.: I'd be happy to have a bicycle that I could take with me that works for me. Unfortunately Canadian Tire has the worst customer service I have ever come across. I bought a bicycle so I could accompany my wheelchair bound son around town. After riding 100 meters and realising that the bike wouldn't work for me, I tried to exchange for better one. They wouldn't do it. PATHETIC.

CTH8R

Jenn D.M.: Their bike return policy is a good example. Kind of hard to buy a bike for our son's birthday when he has to come in to try it ahead of time and ruin the surprise because you can never take it back. Ended up getting it at Sports check which has a normal return policy and warranty.

CTH8R

Rui C.: I was going to buy a new bike, but I waited in your Lawrence & Brimley store for 40 minutes for someone to help me, aged down the associate from the bike section and he told me he was busy (he walked around with a phone to his ear for most of that time) and after I went to customer service and asked for.the manager, someone named Linda who was not the manager rd me to go back to the bike section. At this point I walked out and ill look for a bike elsewhere. Simply awful customer service.