CT Challenger

We've often heard from CT'ers who say, "Gee, nobody's perfect - everybody makes mistakes."

But that's a serious misrepresentation of the reasons people give for their complaints, and indeed for boycotting this horrible chain.

Because policies aren't "mistakes". Rather, they are deliberate, carefully planned and faithfully executed decisions. Business decisions, on how to make the most money.

And a good way to make money (at least in the short-term), is to refuse to give refunds (and maybe not even exchanges) on defective products (and even on ones people decided they don't like).

And so, we end up with a partial and informal list of several hundred people who have decided to "never shop there again".

If you just take a look, you'll see what the main reason is.

Is it poor in-store service?
Sure, some give that reason, but not that many.

Is it rude staff?
Yeah, a few, but that's the not the main reason.

But by far, the reason most often given for the boycott is this:

The horrible return policies.

How long can this short-sighted business decision keep this shady store afloat?

Let's just keep counting & see ...

CTH8R

#305:

Ok, this one? Probably a mistake by the person who did the work ... but a deliberate act of cost-cutting to hire untrained, unsupervised staff in the Anita J.: I had a flat tire fixed there once, and the next day I went back when my tire was really low on air. The guy said just put some air in it. I left went to my mechanic and he looked at it and said it was machined on wrong. He also said that if I would have done what Canadian tire said, the tire could have blown up in my face. He changed out my tire with a new one and I brought the other tire back to Canadian tire and had them reimburse me for the diifference. With the manager saying everyone makes mistakes. Sad, I'll never go back there

CTH8R

#306:

Kika T.: Never liked Canadian Tire... they have a horrible return policy...I go to Home Depot

CTH8R

#307:

Ryan S.: Too bad most of the employees are incompetent. And the management is even worse all canadian tire cares about is making money by all means whether it be ripping off people, scamming, or fraud. I wouldnt shop at canadian tire if I was dying and it was the last place on earth. Not to mention their return policies are just ridicoulus.

CTH8R

Sorry ... let me fix this one up:

#305:

Mistake, or deliberate choice? This one is probably a genuine mistake by the person who did the work. But that is still the result of deliberate cost-cutting, to hire untrained, unsupervised staff in the first place.

Anita J.: I had a flat tire fixed there once, and the next day I went back when my tire was really low on air. The guy said just put some air in it. I left went to my mechanic and he looked at it and said it was machined on wrong. He also said that if I would have done what Canadian tire said, the tire could have blown up in my face. He changed out my tire with a new one and I brought the other tire back to Canadian tire and had them reimburse me for the diifference. With the manager saying everyone makes mistakes. Sad, I'll never go back there

CTH8R

#308:

Ginny D.: Sounds like the one in Bedford too. Went in with two sets of 17" tires and left with one set of 17" on my vehicle and a set of 15" in my trunk. Went back and told them they weren't my tires and said they weren't the ones they took off. Tried to tell me I switched my tires for some old bald ones to try and get a new set. Bunch of crooks, took my winter tires I had only used one season and gave me someone's bald tires and called me a liar for their screw up. Never again will I buy anything from there.

CTH8R

#309:

Ryan S.: Too bad most of the employees are incompetent. And the management is even worse all canadian tire cares about is making money by all means whether it be ripping off people, scamming, or fraud. I wouldnt shop at canadian tire if I was dying and it was the last place on earth. Not to mention their return policies are just ridicoulus.

CTH8R

#309:

Ryan S.:

Oops! Counted that one twice!

Luckily CT paid Facebook to Spam Canadians - that brings the boycotters out into the open:

#309:

Nels H.: Canadian tire has ridiculously bad customer service at almost any level. After an absolute fiasco regarding wrong tires installed, wrong tires reordered, Saturday mechanics with no certification, a $60,000 truck almost lost off a lift onto a concrete floor, I cancelled my order, contacted customer service and got the orbital referral..needless to say the Canadian Tire store in Spruce Grove Alberta has lost the business of our entire family and a good percentage of the other fifty people I have told about the experience. Canadian tire used to be a decent store but it is worth a few extra bucks to get a vastly better quality of service at other more professional places of business.

CTH8R

So many reasons ... to never shop there again.

#310:

Ruth B.T.S.: Since you have gone so into hunting...not shopping at CT anymore...sorry, you lost a customer, probably many others

CTH8R

#311:

Christine P.W.: I avoid CT at all costs. I've bought a few tools there only because they were on sale. Return policy is horrible, and customer service is bad. The garage is brutal and they are dishonest and take advantage of women who bring in their vehicles. Too many bad experiences for me! Cake boss is cool, but won't bring me to CT

CTH8R

#312:

Fran W.: CT in Prince George BC, has terrible customer service in all their depts, can never find anyone to help. Sale prices are gd when they actually have the product advertised. Return policy is a joke. Spent big bucks there on MCard & found out they don't give out CT MONEY on credit purchases if u don't use their own card. Last time shopping there for me

CTH8R

We've heard from Patrick before, about how much CT sucks, in his view. But here's his Boycott Announcement:

#313:

Patrick T.: karen of course its a women store now....they clearly change their goal...its not a mechanical /automotive store anymore ..its a walmart in disguise ...but more expensive!....and btw can tire..why would i contact you? you didnt get what i wrote? whats more to say!?..mmm i am not going there anymore!

CTH8R

Thank you, CT Spam!

#314:

Bill M.: Don't get any car serviced here! I don't shop at Canadian Tire... So get off my Facebook page!

CTH8R

#315:

Brent W.: boooo to canadadian tire they suck they rip people off there a garbage store to shop with no customer service skills exspecially the one in olds hard to find help toooo

Brent W.: i dont and you wasting time tellin people that dont make sense think there going to listen the place sucks period will never shop at any canadian tire again

CTH8R

#316:

Mateen S.: I would never shop at canadian tire again, your customer service is rude and dont know how to approach ppl.
Beat place to show is your competitors(costco/loblaws).

CTH8R

Indeed, Facebook is an awesome utility - the company-sponsored Spam App is especially useful for provoking complaints, right up to Boycott announcements, and even calls to join the boycott, like this one:

#317:

Claude C.: OK. So go to Home Depot on Lacadie Blvd in Montreal. Nicest, most efficient folks ever. The contrast is amazing: We were at Canadian Tire nearby on the weekend. I got verbally abused by Eric, a fat slob with a moustache who had had a bad night (or a bad life...). Then you get to Home Depot on L'acadie and it's as if you're no longer in Quebec (notorious for bad service). Go there and support them. Boycott Canadian Tire. Support Target, Home Depot, basically all American companies who understand service. You will live longer (than Eric)

Last edited:

CTH8R

Ron is already #307, but he's hoping to get the word out:

Ryan S.: Buyer beware. If you look at all the comments people have posted on the other advertisements here you can see. Canadian tire has the worst customer service,mechanics,equipment,management ever.

CTH8R

#318:

Sheila G.: After the stunt Canadian tire pulled on my daughter in Edmonton where they were only to change over her tires to winter tires. Instead they pulled her tires and then said it needed a part and they would have it fixed on Tuesday oct 15. So she would be left with no vehicle for over 3 days. She needed to be out of town by 5 on oct 11. When she complained about it they had it fixed in 30 min. I will never give Canadian tire my business again for such deception.

CTH8R

#319:

Judy J.E.: My car over heated so I babied to a canadian tire. Was told I needed 12000 dollars to fix it. Apparently a cracked head gasket. I asked if mybe it was the rad. They assured me no. I decided to get a second opinion, something seemed fishy. I babied it to my home town Mechanic. He checked it out and said I needed a $300 rad.. Said the head gasket was just fine. WOW is all I can say.. Never will get my business again. Or several others for that matter

Last edited:

CTH8R

Betrayal is a common theme in Boycott Announcements:

#320:

Nan T.: I think I`m about done with CT and will boycott. It seems that the general policy is NO RETURNS and their Merivale Ottawa store manager delights in putting one over on customers. CT corpoeate back them up. CT fool me one, shame on you! Fool me twice.. not gonna happen!!! Never thought I`d say this but thanks God for American retailers coming to Canada. Bye bye CT!!! I`d say it was nice knowing you but it wasn`t.