CTH8R

#719:

Hamid J.:

I will never ever walk in to another Canadian tire store and recommend everyone to do the same. I suggest Canadian Tire to review its return policy and make it easier for customers who purchase their defective products rather than keeping it or get a store credit. I advise anyone who plans to purchase something from Canadian Tire, think twice before waisting all your time and energy arguing with cashier and store manager. Canadian Tire this is not the way Canadian consumers should be treated and hope to see improvements in the future.

CTH8R

Hamid J.: David, they used to have the best return policy and among all the big stores and were my favourite but I got the surprise one day when I bought a bathroom cabinet which was defective, the store would exchange it but wouldn't take it back and return my money. If I don't like them it's because they don't protect their own customers, CT used to be my favorite store and I used to purchase so many things from them. I don't expect individual store to break any rule for me, I expect them to be like what they used to be. Usually the changes are for better but in CT case they are for worst. You can stand for them as much you want but I prefer to shop where I am protected.

CTH8R

#720:

Lu T.:

Purchased a push lawn mower from your Sarcee Trail Calgary Outlet, took it home to try it out and discovered it was difficult to use due to the uneven nature of my lawn. Took it back for a refund and to purchase a self propelled unit. The customer service rep refused me my refund saying since it has been used, she has to take care of her supplier/manufacturers interest. I asked to know why the manufacturers interest had to be given priority over mine as a customer. She says she will only refund the product if it is marked down $50.00. I don't quite understand how I could be penalized for trying to return an item that isn't suitable for my needs. How would I have known without trying out the product first. Anyway, this goes to confirm what other customers have been saying. Never again with Canadian Tire. Enough said.

CT Challenger

#722:

Ed B.:

Went in to get my power locks looked at, cost me $150 diagnostic fee. They tell me the tumblers are broken and they can fix it for $734. I declined and got a second opinion. $5 battery for my remote and locks work again. Enjoy the $150, it will be the last dime you get from me.

CTH8R

Gettin' close!

Andrew T.:

Canadian Tire has the WORST customer service out there. i went to store #087 and tried to return something. Store manager Johnathan came to the counter with an attitude, said i couldn't return it then threw my bill on the table and turned his back and left with mumbling something.
I called customer relations, filed a case, said they will look into it and store manager / owner will call me. been 4 days with no reply. No wonder that store has horrible ratings!

Last edited:

CTH8R

Tic-toc ...

PhilandHarry L.:

For the second time in a year I bought a product from your store in the NewGlasgow store that was no good and could not be returned because no receipt could be furnished. One was one of your high touted battteries for my lawn tractor and the other was a barbeque regulator which was no good two weeks after I bought it , a non adjustable one that will not let my barbeque to heat up to more than 150 degrees. Is this what I can look forward to when shopping at your store? WallMart is starting to look good and I will be on facebook and trashing you if I do not get an answer. Please do not take my favorite store from me. Hearing nothing I will commence my campaign. Stop selling us garbage or we will go elsewhere.

You are starting to sell us garbage like a lot of American owned stores. Keep it up and you will lose your life long customers like me

CTH8R

#722:

(721 was skipped, before)

Jessica H.

You guys are a complete rip off in the automotive department. If i have any advice for anyone, it would be to completely boycott this company.

Last edited:

CTH8R

#723:

Shawna D.G.:

Dear Canadian Tire store owner on 64th Calgary,

My hubby needed to drive an hour to get to Okotoks to purchase a jack trolly from your store due to a flat tire.

He then drove an hour back to find out it doesn't work- he engineered a different way to change the tire. He drove over the rim to raise it enough to change the tire.

Now a few week later, but with in the receipt warranty, we would like to return the item for a refund in Calgary, bc thats where we live.
I am told that I cannot return or get a gift certificate for a trolly jack, only exchange for another at Okotoks store after being tested for default!

My response to the customer service girl that her
Boss is a piece of "work", and its in the days of return, the item did not raise to do the job, we chose to buy another one from costco-
Now you are making me commit to something that doesn't work and its defective from the manufacture, despite the trolly jack warranty!!

Never again buy anything from Canadian Tire!!! Ever!!!
When the manufacture warranty is different from the receipt script, the cashier should state the warranty and it should be written on the receipt, for example Christmas decorations are a different return policy.

Should Not be a disappointing surprise at customer service, stating sorry we cannot help you. You should of come back to have the jack trolly checked and and if it is defected it would be an exchange only. Its manufactures return policy.
Well, i did not buy it from the manufacture I purchased it from you and believed that it would do the job and the jack trolly did not raise.

Feeling frustrated and disappointed- this Canadian Tire does not care!

CTH8R

#724:

Vanesesa P.:

On Mar 26, 2015, I brought my vehicle to Canadian Tire Red Deer North to be serviced. My trunk latch wouldn't close, causing the indicator light to drain my battery overnight. I was quoted $385.00 and told it would take a week to get the part, so I left my vehicle with them.
Then, a customer walked in, took the keys to my vehicle from the counter, and drove away in my car. Canadian Tire did not notice. A service employee called me days later to confirm my appointment at a later date. When I pointed out that since they had my car, they could fix it anytime and call me when it was ready for pickup, she said, "Oh, don't you have it? We thought you had already picked it up." I told her that I hadn't picked it up nor asked anyone else to do so on my behalf. I asked her to check the lot and let me know whether my car was there as soon as possible, and she agreed to do so. Three hours later, having heard nothing, I called back and spoke to the same employee, who had not yet checked the lot. She asked, "Oh, do you want me to do that right now?" I said, "Um, yes please, I need to know whether or not I need to file a police report for my stolen car." This time after hanging up, she actually did check the lot, and called me back 20 minutes later to confirm that my car was missing. She had alerted the service manager, Jeff Pahl, who was not in that day.
I immediately reported my vehicle missing to the police. On April 13, 2015, my vehicle was recovered by a tow truck driver in a nearby town. The keys were not with the vehicle. Lorraine Bouchard, the representative from Canadian Tire's insurance company, Claims Pro, advised me to have the vehicle towed to Gary Moe Hyundai in Red Deer, which I arranged. When it arrived, I inspected my vehicle, which looked exactly the same as before I dropped it off at Canadian Tire, except for a scratch on the rear bumper. However, the insurance company's appraiser assessed the damages on my vehicle at $2,144.09, the value at $1,996.00, and concluded that it must be written off as salvage. $1,056.99 of the assessed damages were due to the bumper scratch, the other damages being the original trunk latch issue, and the replacement of all locks due to the key being unrecovered. On June 2, 2015 ClaimsPro offered me a settlement of $1,796.40 for my car, and kicked me out of the rental car I had been in for only 6 days.
I tried to reason with ClaimsPro. I told Lorraine that I didn't need the bumper replaced, that my car looked perfectly fine. I said that the vehicle only needed the trunk latch fixed for $385.00 and some new keys cut, and I would be back on the road. This would not only save ClaimsPro money, but would save me the trouble of having to buy a new car. Lorraine would not listen to me. She insisted that I needed to make a decision immediately, as the tow truck driver and rental company needed to be paid, and she "needed to get this file off her desk." I explained to Lorraine that although I am just a "file" to her, this was a major life decision for me. I mentioned that I had been dealing with issues in other areas of my life as well, having been on medical leave from work when the incident occurred. I asked for more time to allow me to understand all of my options and get some professional advice before making a decision. Lorraine continued to harass me on a regular basis, stating that Gary Moe Hyundai had demanded that the vehicle be moved immediately from their lot, and that they would be charging lot holding fees, which she wouldn't pay.
On June 16, 2015 I called Gary Moe Hyundai, and spoke to Hugh. I explained that I was having difficulties coming to an agreement with the insurance company, and asked if it was alright if my car remained on the lot a bit longer. Hugh said it was perfectly fine. I said, "Are you sure, because my insurance told me that you're demanding it to be moved immediately." He said, "I'm the executive manager here, and I can make these kinds of decisions. Don't worry, it's perfectly fine." I thanked him and hung up, relieved that I still had some time to decide what I should do.
The next day, June 17, 2015, Lorraine called my boyfriend to say that she had received a notice from Gary Moe Hyundai, "in all capital letters stating that the vehicle must be moved immediately," and that the dealership was charging a daily holding fee for the vehicle. He advised Lorraine that I had just spoken to the dealership yesterday, who confirmed that my vehicle could remain there at no charge. Lorraine told him that she was trying to "hunt Vanessa down to get this matter resolved," and that she "wasn't angry, but needed to speak to me urgently to resolve this matter." She continued to harass us several more times before finally calling the dealership for herself and confirming that the vehicle did not need to be moved. I insisted on seeing the notice that Gary Moe Hyundai had allegedly sent to Lorraine, but she told me that it was "privileged information," and refused to forward it to me.
I told Lorraine that I was very unhappy with the way I was being treated, that I didn't believe the appraiser's assessment was reasonable, and that I did not believe that she ever did receive a notice from Gary Moe Hyundai. On July 24, 2015, I insisted that Lorraine either send me the notice, or her manager's contact information. I received no response. Several weeks later, Lorraine sent me a notice stating that ClaimsPro had done their due diligence, that their settlement offer had expired, and that I had two years to take legal action against Canadian Tire if I wished to do so.
I then arranged to have my vehicle towed from Gary Moe Hyundai to my home. When I called the dealership to explain to that the insurance company had taken back their settlement offer, and that I would probably not be getting my vehicle fixed through them after all, Kendall was sympathetic and understanding. I asked her if there were any fees owing for storing my vehicle on the lot, and she said, "Not at all, it was no problem, all it did was sit there. Why would we charge you for that?" When I offered to come down to meet the tow truck driver, she told me that there was no need, and that she would direct him to my car for me. I am very grateful to Hugh and Kendall at Gary Moe Hyundai.
On Aug 27, 2015, Key Towing brought my vehicle to my house. The tow truck driver was very sympathetic, listened to my whole story, and could not believe what had happened. I told him that I was considering taking the insurance offer and paying the salvage fee to keep my vehicle, and attempting to fix it myself. He said, "No no no, you don't want to do that, you would need to pass a salvage inspection in order to get it insured again, and there's no way your car would pass. They completely rip it apart and look for any reason not to put it back on the road." I had had no idea, and thanked him for telling me this. He told me that I should call Canadian Tire and ask Jeff to settle the matter. If that didn't work, he said that I could call Accessible Lock and Key, who would cut me a new ignition key in about 5 minutes for a couple hundred bucks. He said that my trunk latch could be fixed easily as well.
I next called Canadian Tire and spoke with Jeff Pahl. I told him that his insurance company had offered me an unreasonable settlement, and that they were trying to write off my vehicle which I believed was completely unnecessary. I told him that I would like to come in to the store and sit down with him to discuss possible options to get this matter settled. Jeff was completely unsympathetic and seemed to be confused as to why I was even calling. In a condescending tone he said that I obviously didn't understand how these situations worked. He told me that this is the way it goes with insurance claims, that they only pay what the vehicle was worth, and that if I wanted more money, unfortunately I was out of luck. I told Jeff that I had not ever asked for more money, that all I wanted was to get my vehicle back on the road, which it should have been 7 months ago. I said that this was not a regular insurance situation where I was the victim of a random crime, that it was due to Canadian Tire's negligence, leaving keys unattended on the counter, that resulted in my car being stolen. I said that his service employees did not even notice it missing. He said, "Yeah, we did!" I began to explain to Jeff that his employee had told me herself that they thought I had already picked up my car. Jeff then said, "I am ending this conversation, and you can deal directly with our insurance company." I said that he had no right to end the conversation, and that he needed to take responsibility for his mistake, or else I would be going to local radio stations and newspapers to share my story, causing him to lose business. Jeff told me to go ahead. I then asked to speak with Don Murray, the owner of Canadian Tire North. Jeff refused to give me his number and said coldly, "you can call the main switchboard line and ask for Don." I hung up.
Next, I called Accessible Lock and Key and spoke with Walter. I was still shaking with rage and indignation at Jeff's treatment of me when I called, but within minutes Walter's playful banter had me smiling. He told me that he could cut me 2 new ignition keys for $200. When I mentioned the trunk latch issue, he said "Oh sure, I can fix that too, sounds real easy, I bet I can do it in about five minutes." I was in disbelief. Walter told me that he would see me in 45 minutes, and exactly 45 minutes later, he arrived. He and his partner took apart my trunk, joking good-naturedly while they worked, and managed to fix the latch using only common household tools. They also cut me two new keys. When we tested the keys in the ignition, the battery was dead, so Walter gave me a boost on his way out. The bill was $200. Walter joked to his partner, "Canadian Tire quoted her at $385 to fix the trunk, and we just fixed it for free. I think we're getting ripped off, don't you?" They talked with me afterwards for 20 minutes, giving me various recommendations to local mechanics for future car issues, before heading home for the day.
After 7 months of stress dealing with insurance companies, tow truck drivers, and dealerships, 7 months of making my way around by carpool, bus, or bicycle, 7 months of trying to convince Canadian Tire and ClaimsPro that my vehicle did not need to be written off, my car is now back on the road and running fine, thanks to Accessible Lock and Key. If Canadian Tire had been reasonable, they could have ignored the bumper damage as I requested, paid only $200, and had me back on the road 6 months ago. Instead, they chose to place the blame on me, the victim, and refused to take responsibility for their negligence.
I never once received an apology from any representative from Canadian Tire or from their insurance company, Claimspro. Needless to say, I will never again shop at Canadian Tire Red Deer North, and I hope that anyone who reads this won't, either.

Vehicle Stolen From Canadian Tire - 106.7 The Drive

Last edited:

CTH8R

Ya gotta be quick, to snag these stories afore Crappy scrubs 'em offa their 'fan' page ...

Peter H.:

I had 4 new 17" Michelin Defender Tires installed at Canadian Tire, Bedford Commons August 4th, on a 2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD. My first time on the highway late in August I noticed a slight steering wheel shake at 110 and not when braking. The first opportunity I had to take it in for a re-balance was this afternoon. What I was told when I arrived was I only had 30 days to come back for a re-balance and that I would have to pay $14.99 per wheel today. I told them since you couldn't balance them right the first time, if I'm going to have to pay, I will pay someone that knows how to get it right the first time, and left the store. I should also mention after my install in August I noticed they did not inflate my tires with nitrogen that I had paid for. This resulted in waiting an additional 1/2 hour for them to swap the air for nitrogen. Customer service sure isn't what it used to be at Canadian Tire. Also should mention I had to wait an extra 1/2 hour for my installation to swap the air for nitrogen, as the work order called for nitrogen and they filled my new tires with air, charging me for nitrogen. I would much rather be posting a more positive story.

CTH8R

#725:

Vince G.:

Vince Gillis If Walmart is starting to look good ; then the problem is way more complicated than it shows in this post.. For the love of God stay out of that place.

CTH8R

#726:

Kris G.: Canadian tire can patch a hole in the wall but it took them 4 days, two attempts and 7 hours of me waiting in the store to patch a hole in one of my tires. Idiots. DO NOT SUPPORT CANADIAN TIRE OR USE THEIR GARBAGE.

I have made a complaint via the comment survey on the receipt and have been told that the service manager will contact me. I will explain via this forum so others can see.
I had a screw in my rear driver side tire and, being Sunday with limited options, I went to The store on Scott Rd in Surrey BC. They removed my tire and actually found that I had two screws, of which I was informed, so they patched/plugged one and did nothing with the other.
While they were reinstalling my tire to my vehicle the employee stripped one of my lugs and came and told the service person but no comment was made to me. They went back out and the employee stripped another lug and again no comment was made to me until I asked what the hell was going on. This was the one hour mark.
I was told that two lugs had been stripped and they would be replaced. Why, if you stripped one would you strip a second I asked and there was no satisfactory response. I would have to wait for this to be fixed. Two more hours go by and my vehicle is "done" according to them.
I return home and at 7:30pm notice that my tire is flat so I call roadside assistance to come and swap for my spare. When the technician takes off the centre cap he notices that I only have four out of the five lugs installed. This was not told to me at the Scott Rd store or anywhere mentioned on the receipt. I did the survey at this point.
I ended up in in Abbotsford and went to that store to deal with the issue. Jas, the department manager was very helpful but has not changed my opinion of Canadian Tire. Harley, the technician, that first looked into this in Abbotsford would not install the Canadian Tire part which did not fit properly. This store ordered the proper part from Chrysler and over the next 3 days and 4 more hours at this store has replaced the missing lug and properly patched my tire.
I have received a email from Surrey stating that Ralph will contact me but as of yet has not bothered. It has been 8 days now since this incident and I am sure he has had ample opportunity to correct this issue.
I feel that due to the lack of information I was originally given, leaving the store with 4/5 lugs, your service department put myself and my family in a unknown unsafe situation and could have caused an accident that may have cost lives. This is disgusting and that is why I will never return to Canadian Tire for anything.
If you would like more information YOU can contact the Surrey BC store on Scott Rd and ask for the submission I made. You can also contact BCAA and They will send you the information from the service call that they made to my house.

Notice how no response was made to my comment about how my issue transpired. Lack of caring even by their representatives here.

This is a generic response that is automatically generated by their site. Cambodian Tire can't even or doesn't even have the decency to have a live person monitor this page. If they did you would not have called Moni Jay, Joey.
Calling your store Canadian is now offensive to me as a Canadian and I will from this point on be referring to it as stated above, Cambodian.

I tried to go onto the customer service web site it suggested and was confronted by a list of phone numbers so I guess I shall call them.

Presently on hold

So in order to actually make a complaint against the store you need to call the 1-800#. Doing the survey on the receipt does nothing because the store can just ignore it. I have filed a complaint and now must wait until Monday at the latest for a response or I call the 1-800 again. All up to the customer.

So they say they will contact me. Let's see.

Last edited:

CTH8R

We might get another boy otter, when he finds out that nothing gas-powered is returns keep at CT.

Cody C..:

Extremely disappointed in Canadian Tire's customer service. Bought a lawn tractor in 2013, and have been able to use it twice. It has broken both times.
It is still under warranty, and CT wants me to pay for all repairs. So far, I've had a broken belt, a bent pulley, dead battery, it killed a brand-new battery in 3 weeks, fuel system problems, and a broken carburetor.
It has cost me $500 in mowing, delivery, and repair charges on top of the $1700 purchase price, and I'm done with it. I can't afford to own a Yardworks mower. It is literally garbage
I just want my money back so I can get something that runs more than twice!
I will NEVER buy another MTD Product (Yardworks, MTD, Yard Machines). Stand behind your product, CT, or don't sell them at all.

CTH8R

#727:

Roni D.:

Flat tire rip off at canadia tire!
Today i had a flat tire while driving to work.
I replaced it with my spear.
On the way i stopped at canadian tire shop i vaudeuil
They charge me 50 dollars fo it.
22 dollars to fix the tire.
28 dollars to place the spare back and install the original tire.
I felt its a rip off!!! so i spoke to the shop manager which really didn't want to listen. He had the answer ready for me.
I stopped on m way at gordons good year to get their pricefor the Same job i would have paid 23 dollars
So lesson learned!!
And i want all my friends to know.
Dont go t cdn tire for mechanical work they rip you off.
Roni

Last edited:

CTH8R

#728:

Tim F.:

It is with great regret that I must recommend that NO ONE get their car repaired at CT. The experience we have been through over a repair made at the CT at Cremazie, Montreal was the most horrific experience in bad customer service I have ever experienced. A simple check engine light repair in April 2015 which CT did on my Mazda CX-7 ruined the engine. After 3-4 weeks of waiting for the manager of CT decide that it was indeed their fault and agreed to replace the engine, it took over a month for them to replace the engine, only to have additional repairs because CT did not use proper parts, connect parts properly and other problems due to poor repair service. It took 5 months to receive payment for the 4 weeks of car rental that CT agreed to reimburse. The situation dragged on because both the manager and his supervisor would either be on vacation, or unreachable. Finally in September, after several return trips to "fix" things that were wrong with the initial repair, we took the car to the Mazda dealer which resulted in NEW repair bill of almost 1,400$ because CT did not connect a hose correctly (we kept the evidence) and replaced a thermostat with a non-mazda approved part, thereby not doing what CT said it was doing. The customer service experience and the insults from the CT manager when he found out we were no longer going to CT for repairs were uncalled for. We are STILL dealing with the situation and getting NO RESPONSE from CT. CT has a terrible customer service reputation, but I never knew how bad their service really is or how bad their management is. Shame on you CT.

CTH8R

#729:

Cesar A.:

I had experience with them at Mcleod branch. I ask them to change my brake fluid and they did, after 2 weeks I went back to complain that my brake is sagging when i use my brakes. They charge me again for it. So I dont go to them any more...all is money to them.

CTH8R

#730:

David S.: I don't know how that happened for the record I stopped liking Canadian Tire when they tried to rip me off when I tried to get snow tires temoved

CTH8R

#731:

Derrick M.:

So, I have to "activate" my Canadian Tire money account every month huh? That's ridiculous. If I don't login or buy something every month, I lose my CT$? I guess I'll just shop elsewhere.

CTH8R

#732:

Holly Y:

Did I read my email correctly and I now have to log in to make sure that my account is active to keep my CT money? If that is the case, then I'm going to stop collecting on the card and shop elsewhere.

CTH8R

#733:

Suzanne G.:

That is the most stupid thing I ever heard. I think they just lost some members with this dumb move.