CTH8R

This is yet another area in which Canadian Tire excels ... at sucking, that is.

I was inspired by this post on the Mapleview thread:

https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/c...nance-avoid-mapleview-dr-barrie-location.html

Here's what blakean wrote there:

I just got back from having an oil change done at the Mapleview Dr. Canadian Tire location. After waiting over an hour to have the change done in an EMPTY garage and signing what I assumed would be the price I would pay, I was shown the bill that was around $15 more than the price agreed upon.

It was pointed out that my car needed more than the 5L included in the price (the guy said MOST cars need more than what is included in the package, which makes their advertisement rather dishonest, I think).

This is disappointing and dishonest but understandable, although not drawing my attention to the possibility is either careless or underhanded. I was assured that the price I signed was the price I would pay. Otherwise, I would have gone somewhere else.

What was unreasonable was being told in the pissiest of attitudes that "we're not going to give you $11 worth of oil for free" by a guy who needs some customer service skills slapped into him by his management. I wish I had recorded this guy's name, but I wanted to get out of that store as soon as possible.

---

As a nice finishing touch to this last oil change I will ever have done at Canadian Tire, my windshield wiper fluid light, which was on when I pulled in, was still on when I pulled out. This small "extra touch" wasn't even attempted, although it was advertised as being part of the "package." I had to fill it up when I got home. I suppose paying over $100 for an oil change and some foul attitude wasn't enough for them to also top up a cheap fluid.

Other garages will get my repair and maintenance business from now on. Steer clear of the Mapleview Dr. garage if you want anything approaching pleasant customer service and people who will draw your attention to hidden details what you will end up paying for later.

CTH8R

Michelle N.P.: One time I took our Challenger to Canadian tire for an oil change. And you should of seen the filter! They couldn't get it off and it was bent and holes all over it. My brother came to see me and asked why it was taking so long and they told him they couldn't get it off. Well he went in there and had it off in a matter of seconds!! Never go back there for an oil change

CTH8R

Responses to Crappy Tire's offer of a free tow:

Crystal K.: Canadian Tire told me i needed 5000 dollars worth of work when i took it in for an oil change. i got a second opinion and even a third and none of what they said was wrong was actually wrong. in fact, 6 years later my car STILL has not needed the costly repairs they said i had to have or i would die driving my car. go figure eh. must be some miracle ?

Ewan: Had a friend who went in for an oil change came out witha 1500.00 bill she was in tears. How could this be there was nothing wrong with her car and thre was no way an oil change cost that much Take advantage of women much, I think so I wouldnt go there if you paid me

Tim Y.: Got an oil change and they left funnel and oily rag on engine l.. discovered later when it started to smoke... glad my car didnt catch fire dumb ass ct

CTH8R

I like Tim's trick with the marker pen ...

Tim Hick Also got them to change my oil. I always mark my filters with a sharpy to make sure it got changed. Sure enough got charged with oil and a new filter. Low and behold never got a new filter. Grant ( the owner of fort Saskatchewan and Sherwood park) offered me a few free oil changes ....ya right

CTH8R

It looks like those helpful and generous Canadian Consumers have helped one of their fellows dodge a bullet:

Al M.: and I was going to get my oil changed at C.T. WHERE I LIVE, HHHMMMM

CTH8R

Dustin D.: I had my oil "changed" at Canadian tire Sherwood park. Started my truck up in the parking lot, ran it for a bit, happened to notice the low oil pressure light on. Right then some kid comes bolting out of the shop with a jug of oil in each hand. The mechanic asks me to drive it into the shop where he listens to it run for 30 secs and tells me no damage was done. Offered me a free oil change. Sweet deal, maybe you took 5 years off the life of my motor, guess well never know. Good thing I didn't drive away.

CTH8R

Dave K.: Why should a customer have to go the extra step of contacting customer service after the fact?
Canadian Tire, why not train your employees to resolve issues to
KEEP CUSTOMERS.
Instead of training them to dig deep into customers pockets at every given chance.

CTH8R

Recently, Crappy Tire decided to spam Canadians on Facebook, about a 'free' tow offer. Many responded with dire warnings about the perils of letting the Crappy People have access to your ride. See here for more: https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/g...mpetent-incorrect-incomplete-28.html#post9146

But the following were comments specifically about how much CT sucks at simple oil changes (something many Canadians manage to pull off, in their own driveways!):

Victoria S.: I will never be taking my moms car or my car to Canadian tire. She went in to get an oil change. tried to charge her over 1000. For an oil change!!!!!

Wesley C.: I took my van to the Canadian Tire on pinenush rd in Cambridge ontario for an oil change and when they checked my tire pressure the broke my tire pressure nipple indicator then told me its gonna cost me $95 for a new one, i argues that they broke it so they should replace it, after the manager argues with me that it was defective and thats why it broke they offed me a half price deal, which i accepted because I had to leave, i still felt ripped off, now when i get my oil changed i request them to "dont test my air pressure" and sure enough 5 oil changes later none are "defective" I feel that they upsell to make more money.

Roxanne B.: I went to ct for ONLY a service that consist of only an oil change. Then when I returned from Xmas shopping my truck was still up in the hoist To my surprise they told me me it will cost me 800.00 some dollars then I said who said I needed a new fuel filter? I just replaced it 2 weeks prior... All I said was get my truck off that hoist now. Which they did and I have never been back to ct SINCE!!!!!

Joanne S.H.: I had a simple oil change done in Burlington Ontario 2 weeks ago. They did not tighten the oil plug or the filter. Oil leaked all over my driveway. I called them the next day and was told they couldn't do anything about it. Now I'm left with an oil stain on my driveway and had to replace the oil. Thank crist my engine didn't blow!

Heather B.C.: I don't trust them ...they did an oil change I drove my car home 18kms and then another 6 kms later my car wouldn't start. The alternator was done, no juice in it which would have meant I had been just running on battery...I think they pulled a switcheroo on me.

Donna D.: appears to be a generous offer but all the posts I've read had a negative experience with your car repair shop as did I years ago - so don't go there anymore. I went in for an oil change and the front counter guy came back with a list of things that needed repair, including a brake job which had just been done, and to replace a part that my car didn't even have, so it seemed like out and out fraud to me. I do like the store for shopping. Too bad the car repair problems seem to be systemic.

MattandErin M.H.: Id be scared to get my car towed there as well, went for an oil change in Moncton NB, and they paged me ten minutes later and told me that my was leaking oil. So they quickly showed me that it was leaking oil. I went back to the parts counter and the service guy already had a quote for me of over eight hundred for a rear main seal. I didnt get it done went home and the next morning looked myself. Come to find out it was a loose motor bolt that was leaking dripping to be exact. Now I have a paved driveway and there was never a oil spot before in my driveway,not saying it was loosened off there but it was a very quick fix of about four turns to tighten. Guess they just wanted me to spend over eight hundred to change something that wasnt broke. Canadian tire should focus on there honesty instead of scamming people into having parts changed out that dont need to be. Some poor customer that wouldnt know better would have got that work done at a huge cost if they were not able to fix things themselves.

Tammy-Trevor S.: I had a friend who the guy working had an oil change done and they forgot to put oil in, you can imagine outcome and KIA was pissed as it was a leased car!!! Nice offer CT but fix the issues with your repair shop first and fix the way you handle a bad situation that was YOUR fault, for me to even get half my money back I had to fight for it by going to head office, and for me to get my money back for being charged for using my old nuts and stufg my hubby had to argue with them and prove they were reused! Not cool!!!!!!

CTH8R

Doug A.: Whoever is defending canadian tire mechanics obviously never went. In 2006 my friends girlfriend brought in her car for an oil change. They took out the old oil but didnt put any back in. They said it was ready she drove around the block and the engine seized. They had to buy her a new engine. Real experts !

CTH8R

Beware of tampering during oil changes:

Ron M.: had my oil changed, the kid comes out and says oh i was taking a peek at your brakes and this spring popped off, i couldnt get it back on. Then walks away.

CTH8R

Roger D.: I just got an oil change done yesterday and they charged me $4.99 for a "Fluid Top Up" which I did not agree to, nor was it explained to me that it would be added to the oil change. There was also a $2.99 "Waste oil disposal" charge. Where I work, vehicles get repaired and they have waste oil as well, but it gets picked up for FREE. Why is this Canadian Tire location charging its customers for a free service??? I will not be returning to that location for an oil change.

CTH8R

Salman C.: Please do not get any services done by Canadian Tire - they are a rip off and do not fulfill their promises. I have had a real bad experience at their AUTO SERVICE last week. I went for an Oil Change but found out that all my indicator lamps were out of function

CTH8R

Interesting ...

Fradie U.: Yes it is true I take my co-op in one of Canadian tire and if they change your oil they don't drain the oil properly because they paid by work the more car the more they get paid

CTH8R

Angela M.: ... I had my oil changed there and the next time I got it changed at Midas they said that a Midas oil filter was still on--CT didn't change the filter..... Needless to say, I won't go back again.

CTH8R

Joe F: I was at canadian tire for an oil change at 10:36 am today. I was the next guy in. I left at 3:51 pm. Service sucks.........and im being nice!!!!!!!!!!!

CTH8R

Nektario K.: ... A friend of mine was doing oil changes here and they kept over filling teh oil on his Subaru..they killed the motor..He had to pay half to get it replaced..They didn't even take responsibilty..and this is just OIL CHANGES.

CTH8R

Put this one down as "incompetent"

Martial M.: I learned how to do my own oil change AFTER a bad experience at a Canadian Tire... the oil they put in my car I swear put that engine to retirement... (It was a great car right before the simple oil change ! )

CTH8R

Another:

Mala M.: Quaker State Oil is decent, too bad getting an oil change at Canadian Tire was the biggest mistake of my life... (They used 5W-30, when I TOLD them 3 times 10W-30 and they didn't tighten the oil cap). I'll never go back... Not even for love or money.

CTH8R

Yan L.: ATTENTION..LONGUE HISTOIRE, MAIS PARTAGER SVP C'EST IMPORTANT POUR NOTRE SÉCURITÉ!

Bonjour, mon nom est Yan Lagacé, heureux propriétaire d'un Ford Escape 2006 que je prend grandement soin...mécanique-inspection-entretien-huile syntec depuis 80000 km avec filtre syntec aussi ect ect..Je travail a mon compte aussi et aujourd'hui quelque chose aurais pus changer beaucoup de chose dans ma vie...J'ai visité un CANADIAN TIRE...bref je fais souvent affaire avec canadian tire pour acheter mes pieces, faire des changement d'huile ect ect...aujourd’hui c'était changement d'huile et de pneu. Imaginez vous donc que je suis sorti du garage avec des pneus neuf..et pas d'huile dans mon camion...je m'en suis heureusement rendu compte car le moteur claquait, je me suis arrête et j'ai vérifier mon huile et BAM...carter vide...rien dans le moteur...je suis retourné sur place pour faire corriger la situation puisque j'étais a deux pas du garage encore(200-500m)...la raison de mon post....comment est ce que un client peut sortir d'un garage sans huile!!!! Ya pas de double vérification??? a quoi sert toute les inspections de freins-pneu-tie rod-ball joint-link kit pour nous vendre des services supplémentaire...si la raison de la visite principale est un changement de pneus et d'huile et que celle-ci n'est même pas bien fait...L'erreur est humaine, je suis d'accord mais il reste que j'aurais pus aller sur l'autoroute, tombe en panne sauter un moteur, bloquer la circulation, avoir un accident ect ect... tout sa car un commis na eu de formation pour faire un double check ou que ya pas une autre personne qui est charger de double check!!! CANADIAN TIRE, comment est-ce que vous pouvez éviter que sa se répète encore et que un autre client ressort du garage sans huile dans son moteur, comment pouvez vous vous assurer que sa ne se reproduira pas. WALLMART mécanique procède a une double vérification avec un autre comis lors du changement huile ou de pneu...j'ai payé environ 1000$ pour les services rendu ce matin, environ 30-40$ par pneu de trop au niveau du prix si je compare avec d'autre garage...le changement d'huile, 20$ de trop...mais le service en vaut le coût(sauf la cassiere qui a bypasser un popup pour me mettre en financement 18 mois car miss juge que si le client le demande pas elle na pas a le demander même si ya un popup qui lui dit de le demander... et que je vais devoir passer 1 heure au téléphone pour régler ce probleme la)...toutes les personnes sur place mon toujours bien servis...mais elles n'auraient rien pus faire si j'aurais sauter mon moteur sur la 132 en plein traffic...j'aurais passé combien de temps sans camion(qui est ma source de revenu) j'aurai probablement du vous poursuivre pour avoir dédommagement...combien sa m'aurais coûter encore la...combien de temps sa aurait duré???
ATTENTION..LONG STORY, BUT PLEASE SHARE IT IS IMPORTANT FOR OUR SAFETY! Hello, my name is Yan Lagacé, proud owner of a Ford Escape 2006 that I greatly cares... mechanical inspection maintenance oil syntec from 80000 km with filter syntec also ect ect...I work my account also and now something would have pus to change many things in my life...I visited a CANADIAN TIRE... in short I often do business with canadian takes to buy my pieces, make the oil ect ect... change today ' hui it was oil and tire change. So imagine that I am out of the garage with new tires...and no oil in my truck... I to am happily realized because the motor chattering, I stop and I check my oil and BAM... carter empty... nothing in the engine... I went back there to correct the situation since I was a few steps from the encore(200-500m) garage... the reason for my post... How is that a client can come out of a garage without oil! Are not double check? What is any inspections of brakes-tire-tie rod ball joint-link kit to sell additional services... If the reason for the main visit is a change of tires and oil and that it is even not properly made...To err is human, I agree, but it remains that I would could go on the highway, crashes jump engine, blocking traffic, having an accident ect ect... all its because a clerk na had training to do a double check or is not another person who is charge of double check! CANADIAN TIRE, how you can avoid that its repeats again and that another customer is from the garage without oil in the engine, how can you assure you that its not happen. Mechanical WALLMART proceeds has a double check with another comis during oil change or tire... I paid about $ 1,000 for the services rendered this morning, approximately $ 30-40 per tire too much at the level of the price if I compare with other garage... the oil change, $ 20 too... but the service is worth the coût(sauf la cassiere qui a bypasser un popup pour me mettre en financement 18 mois car miss juge que si le client le) not ask it na not a request even if is a popup that tells him to ask... and I'll have to spend 1 hour on the phone to solve the problem the)... all people on-site my always well served... but they would have nothing could make if I would skip my engine on the 132 in full traffic... I would have spent how long without truck (which is my source of income) I probably of you continue to have compensation... how his me would still cost the... how long its lasted? (Translated by Bing)

CTH8R

Thumper M.: i called at noon to take an appointment for an oil change...the guy told me it was on special for $34.95 but because it would take 4 liters more it would come to $50...i showed up for my appointment at 6:15pm and the idiot in charge told me my truck was limit for his lift...and now it would be $34.95+$38 in labour plus the extra oil...every place i ve ever got my oil changes is never more than $57...canadiantire should be disgusted getting ppl. to go to their stores then change their estimates...you absolutly waste our time