Will not take back anything with an opened package ?!?

Steven Glickman

Please see below my email to "cusomerservice@canadiantire.com".

So far, I have received no response whatsoever. I will keep all of you updated as to the progress, both on this page and other internet media websites.

Good Morning,

I am writing to you on the advice of a response that I received on your Facebook page from one of your representatives.

On January 5th, 2014 I purchased a small very inexpensive LED light (Your SKU 099-6448-6) from your Canadian Tire store #149 in Kirkland, Quebec. When I brought it home and tried it, I was not impressed at all with it and decided I would return it 4 days later.

When I tried to return it, the clerk at the returns counter told me that they do not take back anything that has been opened regardless of when it was purchased. This was apparently confirmed by the store manager, although I was not present for the conversation between them. Needless to say I was flabbergasted as I had never encountered this policy from a retail store. I’m sure you would agree that it is impossible to try something without first opening the package.

I figured that I would call the corporate office and would get some resolution. I promptly did this from my car sitting in the parking lot. The person I spoke to on the phone confirmed in no uncertain words that the policy of Canadian Tire is to not accept any returns for anything where the package has been opened.

I realize that we are talking about a very small amount of money (about $11.00), so believe me this is only about principal.

I think if you are going to have this policy, you should clearly post it very visibly as you enter the store, as this is not typically usual in the retail industry.

Looking forward to your favorable response.

Steven Glickman

CT Challenger

Hi, Steven. I saw your update on facebook:

Steven Glickman As promised. I will continue to update on my response from your customer service team.
Lastest update 01/22/14: NO REPONSE
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Canadian Tire: Hi Steven, thanks for letting us know. We have followed up with our customer service team and hope to have a response sent to you soon.

CT Challenger

Recently, I made some purchases at Walmart, Home Depot and Costco.

It turned out that I didn’t like the particular model that I picked out at Walmart, even though I’d used it. The item from Home Depot turned out to be redundant, so I didn’t need it after all. The Costco item was the wrong size.

On my way back to Walmart, I was worried because I’d used the item, and even damaged the packaging when I opened it. What if they give me a hard time? When I went to Customer Service at Walmart, it turned out I’d even brought the wrong receipt! “No problem”, they said. “We can give you a Gift Card instead of a refund”. Seemed fine to me – they weren’t worried about the opened, damaged packaging at all! I got the other model I wanted, using the gift card to pay for it. Easy as pie! Oh, and while I was there? I picked up a few other things I might need, too. They treat me well, and I treat them well in return (Get it? “Return?”)

At Home Depot, I’d forgotten the receipt. No problem there, either. They checked my cards, found the one I’d used, and gave me a full refund, without hysterical, accusations, calls to the police, or any of the other antics we’ve heard happens at Crappy Tire. They didn’t demand my home phone number (which is unlisted) and didn’t ask to see a driver’s license or even any other ID. And I figured, heck, I might as well get some other supplies while I’m here. Hey – salt! I could use some of that – and it’s not $20 like CT was charging last week!

Last stop: Costco. Wrong size? No problem – go grab one that will fit, and come back. I didn’t even have to show my membership, let along consent to giving invasive information like CT would. While I was in there, I spotted a couple of other things I knew would make my wife happy, so I got those, too.

All in all, I was very happy that I hadn’t purchased any of these items at Crappy Tire, where it would have been a nightmare to try to get my money back, given that the items were out of the package. When are they going to change that sign from “Easy Returns” to “Don’t Open the Package”?

Sangria5

Recently, I made some purchases at Walmart, Home Depot and Costco.

It turned out that I didn’t like the particular model that I picked out at Walmart, even though I’d used it. The item from Home Depot turned out to be redundant, so I didn’t need it after all. The Costco item was the wrong size.

On my way back to Walmart, I was worried because I’d used the item, and even damaged the packaging when I opened it. What if they give me a hard time? When I went to Customer Service at Walmart, it turned out I’d even brought the wrong receipt! “No problem”, they said. “We can give you a Gift Card instead of a refund”. Seemed fine to me – they weren’t worried about the opened, damaged packaging at all! I got the other model I wanted, using the gift card to pay for it. Easy as pie! Oh, and while I was there? I picked up a few other things I might need, too. They treat me well, and I treat them well in return (Get it? “Return?”)

At Home Depot, I’d forgotten the receipt. No problem there, either. They checked my cards, found the one I’d used, and gave me a full refund, without hysterical, accusations, calls to the police, or any of the other antics we’ve heard happens at Crappy Tire. They didn’t demand my home phone number (which is unlisted) and didn’t ask to see a driver’s license or even any other ID. And I figured, heck, I might as well get some other supplies while I’m here. Hey – salt! I could use some of that – and it’s not $20 like CT was charging last week!

Last stop: Costco. Wrong size? No problem – go grab one that will fit, and come back. I didn’t even have to show my membership, let along consent to giving invasive information like CT would. While I was in there, I spotted a couple of other things I knew would make my wife happy, so I got those, too.

All in all, I was very happy that I hadn’t purchased any of these items at Crappy Tire, where it would have been a nightmare to try to get my money back, given that the items were out of the package. When are they going to change that sign from “Easy Returns” to “Don’t Open the Package”?

I wonder if all retailers read this kind of comment and decide to make changes to combat abusers. There are lots of blogs dedicated to this kind of behavior.

CTH8R

Interesting that the CTers see any kind of legitimate return as "Abuse".

Clearly all retailers want you to buy as much as possible from them, so if you are in doubt, they want you to buy anyway.

They want you to keep coming back, and buy lots on each visit, which is exactly what happened at all 3 stores.

Make no mistake, Crappy Tire wants you to keep buying from them, on the assumption that CT has the same policy as everyone else.

But when their real policies are revealed, suddenly they don't want you as a customer anymore.

Great long-term strategy, CT!

LMAO!