CTH8R

I guess The Moaner1 will have to keep his shady business running without the support of Rob P.:

Rob P.: I hate you and your return policy! get off my page!!!

CTH8R

Keith M.: Bought a Mastercraft tap+die set. Third hole tapped, I broke the 4-40 tap. Replaced with another Mastercraft - it did six holes. Got a Dormer tap - 85 holes done + still going strong. Worst part is - every broken tap means a SCRAPPED PART because there is no way to remove a busted 4-40 tap from a blind hole. Tested by Canadians? This Canadian says FAIL.

Keith M.: Wait - I must give details of GOOD service from CTC Chateauguay, several years ago. I was remodelling a bathroom and bought BernzOMatic plumbing solder. Put up 24 +/- joints in copper pipe, opened the main valve and got SPRAYED by 17 leaks, 20h30 Sunday night. Had to cancel my Gyproc guy for Monday and my Tile guy for Tuesday because of the 'fine quality of the product.' Also scrapped twenty feet of copper pipe, five valves, and ten fittings - tees, elbows, etc. The Chateauguay manager replaced my pipes + fittings and refunded the solder. I still lost two weeks before the tile guy could get back to me - long time to ask the wife to pee in a bucket.

CTH8R

As usual during a spam-fest, ordinary people can't help but notice how much it back-fires, when the retailer in question has done such a poor job of looking after its own customers:

Graham S.: My question is why would Canadian Tire have a news feed on Facebook? Seems like 7 out of 10 people here are trashing them for the way they do business. I have a few horror stories myself. Why would they open themselves up to such public ridicule? Also I don't think "The Canadian Tire Robot" that keeps repeating the same phrase over and over is helping people resolve problems. Post the resolutions on here so people can see Canadian Tire is trying to do the right thing.

CTH8R

Good summary of the robo-replies:

James K.: please contact our customer service about this issue we would like to have the appearance of wanting to assist you but we have your money already and really could give a rat's ass, But we would like to try and convince you to come and buy more junk from us . customerservice@canadiantire.com.as

CTH8R

CT seems to be trying something different this time, when they pay Facebook to spam Canadians. They have spams going out for 2 threads at once (tent + saw horse) and it has been going on for at least 3 full days.

The result? Even more Canadians than usual are reporting stories of poor per-sales service, horrible products, terrible return experiences, and huge rips-off on automotive service!

LOL! Money well wasted, Crappy People!

Here's a new response to the Tent Spam:

Tania S.: That camping tent that was on the picture, that reminded me of the tent that we purchased at Canadian Tire a few years ago in our Calgary location (36th st NE). After using twice in the summer (less than a year), 1 part of itbent. We went to the store with our receipt thinking that maybe someone from the store could help us on how to fix it. Unfortunately, we were told to just send the whole thing to the manufacturer. We decided to sent it for donation and didn't bother to buy another tent.

CTH8R

Cindy M: Those pop up tents are a fail. Not very safe when taking them down alone. Fingers get pinched and no way to get them out.

CTH8R

This one, in response to the 'feedback' spam, isn't a horror-story (for a chain-ge) - it's about CT Stupidity finally benefiting a customer!

James B.: Got a good laugh at our local Canadian Tire. I wanted to buy 6 feet of clock chain which was priced per foot. But their measuring machine measured only in metres. Nobody knew the conversion form feet to metres. I suggested using the 12 inch square floor tiles to measure 6 feet but that was not good enough. I also suggested they use a tape measure to measure out the chain but no, they had to use the machine. After much consultation between three clerks and a person in the office upstairs, they finally decided that one foot was about 3 metres so 6 feet had to be about 18 meters. At that price I bought the rest of the roll.

Owner 1

What you may not (definitely do not) understand is that these complaints have ALWAYS existed. They existed in the 80's, the 90's, and into 2000 and beyond. The only difference is that you used to spout off to your neighbour about your frustration. Now, customers still complain they just have the avenue of social media to do it. So now a guy from Vancouver and share a beef in 18 seconds with a lady from Nova Scotia.

Of course I wouldn't expect you to understand that because you refuse to believe something as simple the true numbers that show REAL business results. Canadian tire continues to stack decade after decade of profits and growth. You've somehow convinced yourself that your numbers of a few hundred people complaining online are more relevant and more accurate then 20, 30, 40, 50 year trends.

Not sure you'll find very many people who side with you. Math isn't a guess my friend. and the number speak for themselves. Success!!!!

CTH8R

Hmmm ... people continue responding to the spam, and noticing just how far Crappy Tire's horrible reputation is spreading:

Rick H.: Beautiful stories folks. This is a very entertaining forum. I am astonished at how Canadian Tire lets this forum continue to exist....the worst advertising possible, but a testament to their poor approach to customer service. You gotta wonder who runs their marketing department.....Nestor Pistor perhaps.

CTH8R

Not long ago there was a study that put Crappy Tire behind only Zellers in the race to the bottom of poor customer service. And there are plenty of surveys and reviews that reflect this sad state of affairs.

This is also reflected on other complaint web sites, but nowhere more than corporate Facebook pages. For instance, the Walmart Canada page has a general-topic thread, where Canadians can post their views, both negative and positive. And there are, indeed, some negative comments, like the lettuce wasn't fresh, or there are labour problems in Bangladesh.

But if you look at the sheer volume of Facebook complaints, Crappy Tire is far and away the 'winner' in this category (even after their 'maintenance' practice of deleting unflattering posts). I guess we can't blame Crappy for discouraging general feedback, by forcing consumers to post on random threads, where their comments are quickly hidden. This creates the illusion that fewer Candians have realized how much they truly suck.

And the worst Facebook scenario by far is when CT pays Facebook to spam ordinary Canadians about random crappy products. This is when the flood-gates really open, and it can be hard to even keep up with all the negative experiences and frightening warnings posted by our fellow shoppers.

You won't see anything like that on Wallmart's Facebook page, even after attacks of Walmart in the press. Very sad for Crappy, I'd say.

I suspect that mis-guided patriotism, a nostalgic veiw of this once-great retailers, and the savings from their poor return policies are temporarily allowing this crappy instituition to remain afloat.

I, and many others (just check Facebook!), look forward to a not-too-distant time, when "Canadian Tire" is just a logo on some price-fixing gas stations, and on some obscure credit cards.

Last edited:

CTH8R

Yeah, I know this is only one person, but there DOES seem to be a them ... "dollar store" LOL!

Ryan H.: Stop stocking your shelves with crap. Leave the lashes for the dollar store.

CTH8R

220 comments in the first hour of this thread? I smell SPAM!!

Elvis S.: Wow. Keep it up Canadian Tire. Keep stocking garbage and continue pushing more customers away. I used to be the biggest Canadian Tire fan but I stopped shopping there. I went from being almost a daily shopper to using it as a last resort (maybe twice a year).

CTH8R

Rosanne G.M.: Worse customer service EVER!!!!!!! The story I could tell, but to keep it short and sweet..never ever ever shopping there again!

CTH8R

Another once-loyal ex-customer discovers that the CT of old, no longer exists:

---

Dave G.: The christmas before last I purchased a canadian tire wire feed welder on sale, for around 220 dollars. It up and died a year and a half later. I was checking the manual for a possible fuze/breaker issue, no luck, but found it had a three year warranty. After dealing with a less than pleasent and far frm helpful customer service representative (using the term SERVICE loosely) I called a toll free number for a repaire depot.

Unable to repair I get a certificate, for "replace/refund" I walked back to the welders and yes...mine was in stock...happy happy joy joy....NOT. I was told that replacing was not an option because I had only paid 220 for the welder and its now at retail regular price of 399...WHAT????? SERIOUSLY???? So refund it is...well sort of...in the form of a canadian tire gift card. Stuck waiting for the welder to go on sale again I guess.

I then decided that after the anal violation (excuse the expression) I got for getting a "deal" at canadian tire was not going to happen to me again, kicked in the extra cash and bought it at full retail for 399. It was the last one, box was open but looked like it was just open and never removed ( not the case at all!!) I then, just a day or two after, I got a serious back injury, and wasnt able to walk let alone pull out the welder and get back to my projects.

So finally after a couple of months I pull it out for a quick welding repair, and the "trigger feed" was broken and jamming up the wire feed. Oh well..it has a FULL warranty....right? HA ha ha ha ~snort~ ha ha , what a joke. Recalled the 90 day store exchange in the warranty info i repacked it n headed up to canadian tire once again.

Purchace date..06/16/2013...return date..08/16/2013....yeah baby...I am going to get satisfaction.....good grief will I ever learn? The more pleasent young lady at canadian tire customer service (using the term SERVICE ever more lightly) informs me it only has a 90 day exchange and im too late ( I`m sure thats what she said) being in a very foul mood (layed off frm my job permanently, and still in severe pain) I decided to take the high road and not allow her to hear my misplaced (somewhat) aggression, and walked out.

Took the welder to the repair depot, and just got it back (working even!) (add shock) on 09/16/2013. I have over the years, being a car guy, automotive electronic tech, fabricator, and all round tool guy, spent thousands and thousands of dollars (often more than the competition because canadian tire is CANADIAN)

Well let me tell you....I will never shop canadian tire ever again, friends, family all have been informed that I wont accept gifts from there either. friends an the rest of the public will also read this as a warning to all the fair treatment I, a very loyal customer has received.

CTH8R

Nother less-than-happy customer. Anybody at CT spottin' a trend here? Anybody???

Jessica R.: So I tried to price match at one of ur stores in windsor,on today. WHAT A DISASTER!!!! It was all fun and cool until I wanted to pay with a coupon. Why can u not use a coupon from the manufacturer with a price match??? Ur company gets the money back from the manufacturer. Just not impressed, they ur company rips my flyer up so I cant price match at another store. I just wanted to a be a CT shopper, doubt I will be returning any time soon. Maybe I will take ur flyer and price match at a much friendly store :(

CTH8R

Automotive complaints are common on CT's FB page, too, like this sample. Anyone see a problem here? No? Are you SURE???

Nicole J.: They replaced a tire for me - with the WRONG size tire - caused $1,200 damage to my car and they still refuse to take responsibility for it. Customer service sucks. complained countless times to no avail.