CTH8R

Sure, many of us remember the ‘good old days’, when CT had quality products, generous return policies and good customer service. They made a profit then, which was nice.

(Well, not so much profit, back when they tried to expand into Texas ... but lets not get the CT'ers TOO upset, today.)

But the CT of old is nothing at all like the new ‘lean and mean’ CT, with low-quality products, the worst return policies around, and notoriously poor customer service.

Sure, these claw-backs and service/support reductions allow them to now milk the public for extra profits.

But that doesn’t mean they will be able to keep this up, as they join the ‘race to the bottom’ previously won by Zellers. Nowadays, they face a better-equipped, better-run Walmart and Target, who stand behind their products with decent (and legal) return policies, and a consistent corporate identity (things customers have rightly come to expect).

Nostalgia and misplaced patriotism can only last a finite period of time, and after that, a tipping point will be reached, when the stores will become re-branded in the consumers’ collective mind as “The New Zellers”, with dishonest practices and bargain-basement quality.

The Crappy People can moan all they want, and continue to deny what is happening (“See? I still made money last quarter – all must be well!!!")

But in the end, they will be the authors of their own demise.

Last edited:

CTH8R

Who was it who wrote, "One brick at a time"?

Well, here's another brick, now missing from CT's wall:

Rosanne G.M. Worse customer service EVER!!!!!!! The story I could tell, but to keep it short and sweet..never ever ever shopping there again!

Last edited:

CTH8R

Someone else who won't be donating an Owner's Retirement Fund:

Manuel G.B.: amen to that Brother, went there to fix my truck at the beginning they told me was 458 bucks, they made me wait 2.5 fkn hours they come back saying there was something else wrong - after they broke it 870 !!! i told them to ^^^k right off and give me my truck back, never again !!!!!!

CTH8R

'Nother crappy tent:

Gin ML As for the tent in the picture..I bought one. I find they leak very easily. And no matter how light the rain/mist .. the walls are wet to the touch.

Gin ML With that said I do find the return process at Canadian Tire ridiculous. I have taken slack trying to return a product after only 24 hrs. And it was a master-craft item which I understood to be lifetime guaranteed.

CTH8R

Maybe time for a new thread: Crappy Tire Sucks at ... Price Matching!

(Luckily, we can all use the Crappy Flyer to get bargains at shops that don't renege on their promises to consumers - and let's all buy a few extra things we'll need, while we are there, too!)

Emily P-T.: Canadian Tire seriously needs to improve their price matching method. I have never seen so much paper during a simple transaction at a retail store! It takes me seconds at the grocery store, 15-20 minutes at customer service at Canadian Tire. I have contacted Canadian Tire about a problem I had with a staff member who made me feel like a liar, and who has zero patience but no apology or reimbursement was ever given

CTH8R

This time, we get an insider's view:

Dan S.: I worked for Canadian Tire about 8 years ago, for a year. And the difference between Canadian Tire locations is the owners.

Other locations would treat their employees well, others wouldn't. The one I worked at, let people return anything and everything, while other locations would make you feel like an idiot for returning things.

I had a situation with my store, called corp for advice. They said I was fine, and that I shouldn't worry about losing my job. The store owner told me "Corp has nothing to do me, I run my store how I want." And I was fired.

Last year I learned: In Scarborough, the floor manager at Warden and Eglinton, is ignorant and rude. I took my return problem to St, Clair and Kingston Road. The store manager was very polite, and even went the extra step to make sure I was a happy customer.

It's all about the owners and management. Floor staff just follow the rules.

PS. People don't get notifications when you respond to their posts in here. You should send them a PM, so they know you care @CanadianTire

CTH8R

Oh-oh - another ex-customer. But have no fear - The Moaners says he's still got plenty to keep them rich!

Catherine S.: I purchased a Microwave that ended up to be defective. I returned the Microwave to the store in the original box with the receipt. Since the purchased was over the 3 month mark i was told I could exchange it for another Microwave which I declined. I was not given a return of money in the ways purchased it, nor a gift card. I was told because it was past the 90 day period I could purchase something of that value today. There was nothing I needed nor wanted that day. I was told it was their policy and yes I would have to keep coming back to see if there was anything I would like to exchange it for. In the meantime I would have to keep the Microwave at home or in the car until I saw an item or items that i would like to exchange it for. I was amazed at this return policy as it used to be very reasonable at one time. Needless to say I purchase products from companies that have a good and consistent return policy just in case I have a need to use it.

CTH8R

They'll have to get rich without this guy, too:

Steven A.: I have had to stop buying car parts at Canadian Tire, in order to get parts you have to order them for later delivery, a day or two and leave a deposit. Then I have ordered all the parts I may need and start my repair and find I don't need to change everything and they charge a restocking fee for any returns. From my local private parts store, you order your parts they are delivered to the store in a couple of hours, I can order all I think I may need and return the remainder without any restocking. Have you ever not purchased everything you might need before starting a repair. With Canadian Tire you end up with car in pieces for days because you didn't dare spend/waste the extra cash on the might need part.

CTH8R

And this guy, too - luckily for the owners/dealers, there are just MILLIONS of Canadians who have not yet heard how much they suck!

Ferry D.: When Can Tire opened in Richmond BC, they had staff in every aisle ready to help customers. That lasted a few days. Now if you need assistance, there is usually one poor exasperated staff member fielding off several customers. Now that they have introduced "self" check out, there are no cashiers to offer help either. Finding prices on products is impossible due to "shelf" pricing. Stuff, especially small items, get mixed and relocated so that the shelf price 2 ft. away is meaningless. There are not enough staff to maintain the shelves. I no longer shop there.

CTH8R

It's getting to be a little too late in the year to buy a tent ...,

But it's never too late to tell Canada how much CT sucks!

Volker S.: Quality? I do not think so, I bought a tent and it lasted 3 month before it ripped, and got a whooping 20 dollar gift card for the trouble

CTH8R

What's up with the tents? Despite all the alleged testing, they sure do seem to suck!

Jason P.: If thats the easy up tent its garbage. Used mine couple times and it broke trying to take tent down. Also cust svc is usually poor called numerous times to verify if they had stock they always say no i would then go to the store to see it on shelf.

CTH8R

Tents-Shments:

Adam F.: I bought this same tent. One year later is falling apart already. Tried to return. Or at least get a new one. Stored moved to different location and they will not help me. Not pleased. Will not be shopping here any longer. Had 3 bad customer experiences in a row at different locations. Too bad

CTH8R

Tugz T.: Your power tools last only half way into the first job then they break...then there's your customer service, absolutely the worst. Totally unknowledgable staff....especially your auto parts people...dumber than a tree stump

CTH8R

Ok: headlight eyelashes?

Brian B.: well a least these will not be out of stock , because no one will buy them !!

CTH8R

A response to the "How to Get Back in Shape" thread - is it a complaint? A suggestion? A criticism?

Jared S.: Thats easy you work for a trucking company that hauls the Canadian tire containerz around then you deliver it to the store and instead of utilizing an invention that is essential in modern trucking like say for instance a (pallet) these retards load the containers from floor to roof thus damaging thousands of dollarz of merchanidise and the truck driver gets to play jenga! Maybe if CT paid more than ten dollars an hour they might actually figure out how to get some quality loaders!

CTH8R

... we will see if im allowed to introduce fraud allegations into the proceedings...

I just thought of this. There is another thread on this site, about Dealers who falsely accuse customers of fraud.

There is the common-language definition of 'deception', but that's very different from the criminal definition.

From what I recall, there has to be:

- A deliberate deception (not just an 'honest mistake').
- The deception results in a gain that the perpetrator is not entitled to.
- The deception has to result in a loss to the person being deceived.

They might try to pull the 'gee, we didn't know' defence, but then these are people who claim to be 'well versed in the law'.

But it seems clear that their deception resulted in a gain for them (not giving the refund you were entitled to) and a loss to you (being stuck with a non-functioning product).

There might be more details at https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/g...rn-identical-products-different-receipts.html

1wildhorse

actually there is legislation here....
Canadian Criminal Laws Dealing With Fraud in Canada

Criminal Code Offences

Canadian theft and fraud laws are built on the simple notion that exploitive dishonesty should be forbidden. Starting from the premise that honesty and dishonesty are such basic notions that everybody understands them, criminal law should clearly prohibit acts commonly considered dishonest to underline this understanding.

A person commits fraud who dishonestly by a) deceit; b) unfair nondisclosure; c) unfair exploitation induces any person or the public to part with any property or to suffer a financial loss.

This covers dishonest appropriation by deceit as in cases where the owner is deceived into willingly parting with his property with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it.

While deceit means any false representation it does not include an expression of opinion not made as a statement of fact. A seller has some latitude in "puffing" his goods, but he is not authorized to misrepresent them or to assign to them benefits they do not possess. Statements made for the purpose of deceiving prospective purchasers cannot properly be characterized as mere puffing.

Unfair nondisclosure is where a duty to disclose arises from

blue bullet point a) a special relationship entitling the victim to rely on the accused or
blue bullet point b) conduct by the accused creating a false impression in the victim's mind or
blue bullet point c) circumstances where nondisclosure would create a false impression in the mind of any reasonable person.

i believe that both sections b) and c) apply here.....