CTH8R

ok I have an update.court process was today,and I honestly felt like I was being railroaded by the judge.basically he said that my expenses were unreasonable(I have 3 kids,and he seemed to think that it was reasonable for me to leave my wife and kids home alone with no phone etc.and my argument that hang on if one of the kids was hurt etc. and she couldn't do shit was perfectly ok.)anyway the upshot of all of that was that he didn't seem to think that a 11 hour drive to the courtroom should be punctuated by a nights layover,and the fact ive driven fuck knows how many kilometers is irrelevant.
when I figured that the judge had set aside the default order in the previous hearing(and unknown to myself also makes that judgement invalid,not just set aside to give ct a chance to reply),then I got the distinct impression that things were about to turn even nastier than they were already.
even cts lawyer dropped their previous offer from $5k to $2k based im assuming on what the judge was saying.
hell he even said that he could FINE me if I had no intention of settling at that point.wasnt nice.
so at the end of the day I ended up offering to settle at $5k. the ct lawyer agreed and I now have to release them from my claim.leaves a bit of a nasty taste in my mouth,but hell at the end of it all I managed to eke out $5k for a $350 generator because they refused to exchange/refund me.maybe I could have done things a little differently,but I seriously got the feeling that all was not right there.as it stands,i have not officially released ct from the claim so im under no obligation whatsoever to censor what I really think,and I believe that ive said that here.
anyway lesson learned.NEVER BUY SOMETHING FROM CANADIAN TIRE THAT CARRIES A REPAIR ONLY WARRANTY.
obviously once ive signed the release I will no longer be able to legally comment on the matter,but believe me I will be voicing my opinion on any matter that does not directly concern this!!

Hi, 1wildhorse:

Congratulations on the successful outcome of your lawsuit!

You bought a crappy $350 generator, that was misrepresented as being functional, and you were able to file a lawsuit and get $5,000 in compensation. That's terrific!

(I, too, am disappointed that the judge didn't want to award you the full cost of your family to travel, etc. I suppose the onus is on the plaintiff to 'mitigate the damages' by not incurring extra costs that could have been avoided. I see your point about your family, but it might be a bad precedent to allow too much cost in that way? I.e., it wasn't the defendant's fault your family had to travel with you? Just an idea).

I think this a good example of why we don't hear more about lawsuits such as yours, when Crappy Tire ignores Consumer Protection laws, and leaves their customers stuck with the defective products.

Our legal system tries to get people to settle 'out of court', so the guilty party can make an offer, and as long as the judge thinks it's reasonable, the judge can pressure the customer to take the offer.

So, as long as Crappy Tire is willing to open their wallet for each case, they can avoid having their dirty laundry exposed in open court, and end up on CanLii. This works well for each individual consumer, and of course it allows Crappy Tire to keep telling consumers "sorry, no refund".

But in the bigger view, the system isn't working, because CT is being allowed to just refuse to give the next customer the required refund for the next defective generator, etc.

Regarding the 'fraud', I think I posted about that. Civil court is really not set up to address a criminal matter. You might consider going to the police with your judgment (can your agreement prevent you from reporting a crime? I think they can't do that!) And if the police won't listen, you can try a Justice of the Peace, who could start an action if there is evidence of a crime.

Oh: one last thing - were there any details or statements from the judge that back up the "illegal" aspect of CT's actions? For instance, did the judge quote any specific sections of the CPA or SOGA? That might help others with their cases!

You've already heard from highborn. And I, too, am very proud and thankful that you invested your time, effort and money, with the noble goal of righting an obvious injustice, for the benefit of all Canadians. Your story has also informative and educational.

(I see that the only people who will be happy that it didn't go to court, is The Moaner - no surprise there - what's bad for their victims is good for The Moaner!)

Well, thank you very much, 1wildhorse, for all your efforts, on behalf of your fellow Canadian consumers! Your posts and insights will be very valuable to those who fall victim to this Crappy rip-off!

Last edited:

1wildhorse

......wait just a second here. hold the horses and back the truck up.
You mean to tell me that you were unable to take down Canadian Tire with allegations of fraud? (in small claims court lol ) shocking.

Please allow me to be the first to laugh in your virtual face and point fingers lol Yes that's correct. There is absolutely no surprise on my end, nor was there every any concern that you could make any impact on Canadian Tire (ditto for this website as a whole) but to see it come to reality, just makes me laugh at your ridiculous claims and attempt, and further destroys your credibility.

Speaking of credibility throughout your entire process and crazy claims of having us right where you wanted us....remember brick at a time prepare to crumble.... I noticed that you didn't garner much if any agreement from h8r and challenger. Neither of them seemed to back your notion that you could take down the red triangle. I wonder why that is.....?

It would seem to me that although both would certainly like to see that, they were both smart enough to realize that you were crazy out to lunch.

food for thought
you really are an asshole

1wildhorse

if you still cannot see the LONG TERM damage your policies have on your company then by all means keep on mocking....you seem to think im someone trying it on but all i really wanted was justice.however your attitude seems to reflect your companys attitude as a whole,i wonder how many long term loyal customers there are who no longer wish to buy ANYTHING from your store.so your 'victory' is hollow.

CTH8R

i wonder how many long term loyal customers there are who no longer wish to buy ANYTHING from your store.so your 'victory' is hollow.

Well, since January, as a part-time hobby, I've managed to collect 296 people (plus friends, family and co-workers).

https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/g...never-go-canadian-tire-again-30.html#post9988

And, of course, there are many time that number are posted on the internet (and, indeed, on Crappy's very own Facebook page).
And many times that number are not on the internet at all, but merely complained to the store.
And many times THAT number who said nothing, but simply refuse to shop there any longer.

Funny how someone who claims to be an "owner" is completely blind to the 'canary in the coal mine' - LMAO!

CT Challenger

1wildhorse:

Congratulations on your recent victory over CT. They have claimed many, many times that there is nothing at all wrong with their terrible "Repair Only" return policy, except that people don't like it. You've reinforced just how wrong they are, and that Canadians should not hesitate to use the legislation that is in place to protect them.

You've also demonstrated the use of another provision that hasn't been discussed here much: damages, arising from the defect. Many people who have been refused a refund or even just a return for a defective item are so relieved to find out they can get a refund, that they overlook the damages that they have suffered due to Canadian Tire's misrepresentations.

I wish that you had managed to squeeze more from them, but it's far better from what their policy said you were entitled to (i.e., nothing).

Thank you for having the courage and fortitude to tackle this issue head on, and being such a fine example of consumerism in action!

1wildhorse

thanks challenger.im just hoping that my story will inspire others not to give up!hopefully someone will eventually be brave enough to take matters a stage further and take it to trial....

Owner 1

if you still cannot see the LONG TERM damage your policies have on your company then by all means keep on mocking....you seem to think im someone trying it on but all i really wanted was justice.however your attitude seems to reflect your companys attitude as a whole,i wonder how many long term loyal customers there are who no longer wish to buy ANYTHING from your store.so your 'victory' is hollow.

Really? You think I don't understand long term?
Okay lets run this AGAIN. How many decades of growth and profit? how many? 1 decade? 2? 3? nah keep going it's more

So I see you're all offended that I called you on your tall claims. Put on your big boy pants, you're not playing in the sandbox here. Brick by brick. Remember that? oh suddenly you're much more humble. The whole empire crumbles? remember that? the receipt itself is fraud? remember that?
Well buddy, guess what. Your arrogant, "I don't need a lawyer, i'll take the whole thing down myself" just reared its ugly head. Now you have to humbly sit behind a computer screen and accept that you failed. You sir, got it handed to you. On a platter!

This has absolutely nothing to do with how myself personally or my store treat customers. You're not a customer. You three are the only ones who would ever get an earful from me the way you are right now. There's a reason that I've been awarded things like business of the year, customer service excellence, small business of the year, entrepreneur of the year and excellence in community service. Because day in, day out we show our customers that they matter to us. We aren't perfect, we make mistakes. When we do, its the job of my senior team and myself to make it right.

So how about you just turn around and walk away, tail between your legs, humbled and ego bitten and go back to worrying about every petty little bit you can dig up about Canadian Tire. It's much more at your calibre and level to deal with small petty things then it is to think large picture like those of us who can, do!

Oh by the way, an interesting article today showed that Canadian Tire Corporation is voted as top 100 employers for young people in Canada. The list does NOT include Lowes, Walmart, Home Hardware, Home Depot, Target, Staples or Sears.
Oh speaking of Sears, their glimmer of hope CEO spearheading their restructuring resigned. A once great retailing icon on life support. Shameful, hope his replacement can fix it.

Tough times in big box retail, wonder how we keep doing so well?

CTH8R

Lindsay store seems to suck, too. What a surprise!

Sharon C.: CTC in Lindsay never and I mean never have anyone to help in the garden centre.

CTH8R

Anyone need bait? How about using .... spam!

Nick F.: The only bait I ever had from Canadian tire was switch and bait. My local store has almost none of the products in the flyer.

CTH8R

How about Chain Saw Spam?

Blaine T.: Just like the cordless weed eater I bought ? It broke after 3 months and tried to exchange it with no success.

CTH8R

Even the (ex)employees think the place sucks!

Tim P.T.: Canadian Tire Corp is a joke.....they hired me ,only to get rid of me ,because they wanted to go with a younger staff .....now when you go into the south Barrie Canadian Tire on Mapleview Dr , those same young people that i was replaced by in automotive ,don`t have clue what entails the job they have to do ....they traded over 25 years of automotive experience for a young person that does not know anything about automotive,except turning the key to drive home .......what a bloody joke ...............

CTH8R

Fishing license spam, anyone?

Gren W.: Don't go to the CTC store on Nash Road in Hamilton.....they told me there 3 years ago (after new mgmt. took over) that it wasn't worth their while to sell hunting & fishing licenses anymore.

CTH8R

Well, I see Mr. CT Moaner One logged on last night, but for some reason forgot to paste in his usual robo-post.

Here - let me take care of that!

- If even ONE Canadian has EVER had even ONE complaint about ANY OTHER store, then NOBODY can EVER claim there's a problem at Crappy Tire.

- It matters not how many Canadians have complain about CT, or even boycott the store entirely, because I’m still making money.

- Customers are stupid.

- I’m rich.

OK, we’re all caught up!

LMAO!

I see The Moaner logged on tonight, and took care of things themselves for a change!

Yup, they pretty much stuck to the script, LOL!

CTH8R

Some moron (can't remember who, right off the top) recently claimed:

Oh by the way, an interesting article today showed that Canadian Tire Corporation is voted as top 100 employers for young people in Canada. The list does NOT include Lowes, Walmart, Home Hardware, Home Depot, Target, Staples or Sears.

Just for chuckles, I decided to check this out! As usual, the above Crap is full of ... (wait for it ...) Mis-Representations!

Who knew? LOL!

I mean, the above quote makes it sounds like Crappy Tire is the top employer of young people, right?

Well, let's consider this: they have 58,000 employees or something like that Canada-wide, right? So they are just bound to have more youth working there than other small businesses (like small appliance stores, bike shops, sporting goods, etc.).

Plus, just because the whole corporation (petroleum, credit cards, Forzani, etc.) are included, that does NOT mean that your local Red Triangle of Crap store is somehow bending over backwards to give non-exploitive employ youth!

And lets not forget the stories of older, experienced workers who are displaced just so some younger, cheaper, inexperienced kid can help the greedy owner keep costs down! Let's hear it for poor service, exploitation and incompetence! (One need only look back a bit in this very site, to read about an experienced mechanic who was replaced by some bumbling high-schoolers).

But what of the factual content of this morons post?

Can we really trust what they wrote?

Because, right there on the list, is this:

"Sears Canada Inc."

Nice misrepresentation, there!

And how about this little oversight from the mis-represented list:

"Costco Wholesale (Canada) Ltd."

Ouch! That's gotta hurt!

Check it out for yourself:

Canada's Top Employers for Young People

Besides: what does all this fan-faire and mutual back-patting have to do with, say, the worst return policies among all Canadian retailers, and a horrible reputation for rip-off automotive service?

Yup - you guessed it - Crappy Tire STILL sucks!

CTH8R

Ok.

Here is a typical example of a customer who noticed CT about to fail yet again with tires ... In a photo they chose to post on their own page!

Martin D.: This dummy will put the tire backward

Last edited:

CTH8R

... I've been awarded things like business of the year, customer service excellence, small business of the year, entrepreneur of the year and excellence in community service.

Wow!

Those sure do sound like impressive credentials! The Moaner clearly isn't nearly as much of an a-hole as people have assumed, based simply on their posts here! Behind that greedy, arrogant, selfish exterior there clearly must beat the heart of a true humanitarian!

And, although I thought this thread was for the sharing the many "We hate Crappy Tire" stories on Facebook (and not for posting on-line resumes), allow me to share a bit about myself, too:

- In grade 6, I won a window-painting contest at the Royal Bank downtown.
- I was the fastest reef-knot tier in senior Boy Scouts.
- I've been voted "Most Likely to Build Something Geeky".
- My team won "The Rivi" canoe race in 1986.
- More recently, I've cured polio, German Measles (twice!) and Dutch Elm Disease.
- I've been voted Father of the Year (twice again!) as well as Mother of the Year (but only once).
- I've been voted Catholic of the Year (2008) and then Atheist of the Year (2009).
- And, though I don't like to brag, I've won the Nobel Prize in both Physics and Philosophy!

But I don't expect you to believe me.

Because, when people don't post any evidence to back up their claim, well, they can post almost anything they feel like.

Last edited:

CTH8R

Jeannie H.: Canada Tire, is a store i try to Avoid they either , New Flyers Do not have the product ,or if they do I have Soooo many times had to return it , something 9 out of 10 Wrong with , like a Part. Missing from the package , used to be my husbands favourite store a bit of every thing ,Now like myself. Lost interest ,

CTH8R

I see Mr. CT Moaner One logged on again, but forgot to click the Submit button!

Once again, let me take care of this:

- CT has been around for decades, and isn’t bankrupt yet, so it doesn’t matter how many people we rip off lately.

- Customers are stupid.

- I’m a nice guy, and rich to boot.

---

OK, we’re all caught up!

LMAO!