Sangria5

Some thoughts:

- I believe the stores are all independently owned ("Fred's Gardening and Engine Oil Supply"), so there are zero (I mean, zero) technicians and/or mechanics working for CTC.

- It could be useful to know how many 'technicians' there are in all the DisService Centers - we could get 'complaints per technician' to compare?

- It would be even better to know how many actual Class A Mechanics there are - one per garage? Less?

- Note that even CEO Whitmore admits their auto service sucks!

With that logic then I guess Midas, OK Tire, GM, Ford, etc. have zero technicians as well. You probably do not notice that you have very few posters to your blog.

CTH8R

Huh! Another Troll post!

Anyway, speaking of tires:

Ruth C.: Don't bother Svea go somewhere else. just totally screwed up my car and they said sorry too busy to do a good job because it is winter tire season, but here is a gift certificate for our store!!! go somewhere else. save yourself a big headache.

Last edited:

CTH8R

Alan C.: I was told by the store director on Saturday that i would get a call on Monday about my tires because they had to "Consult" with Corporate, i never got the call but i am hoping that you get a call from the Better Business Bureau about the false advert in your flyer.

1wildhorse

With that logic then I guess Midas, OK Tire, GM, Ford, etc. have zero technicians as well. You probably do not notice that you have very few posters to your blog.
actually sangria we dont really care.all we are happily doing is explaining how CT is by far the worst retailer out there to our knowledge.and actually even with the examples you quoted,they all offer customer service satisfaction guarantees(unlike CT).so its not our logic at fault sir.

Sangria5

Customer satisfaction guaranteed is a pretty loose term Wildhorse. If you actually read complaints from people on any site, you will see that the vast majority of people don't like it when others abuse a privilege. Your satisfaction and my satisfaction may differ drastically. Not too many retailers will give you whatever you want. Costco seems to be one, but the tide is turning on abusive returns people there from what I have read.

CTH8R

Speaking of Tires, can Canadians expect to be impressed with the job Crappy Tire will do?

Sheri C.: Absolutely UNIMPRESSED with Canadian tire at the center on Barton St in Hamilton Ontario..... U should b ashamed of the people in the auto department at this store completely disgusted that I bought my tires here....I question all of ur stores now this is rediculas!!!

CTH8R

This guy doesn't know how lucky he is, that we aren't including him in the 'person whose wheels fell off' report!

Chris O.: Don't go to Canadian tire garden city the auto department doesn't even know how to tighten lug nuts on a tire. We took the vehicle to another place and they said 4 of the 6 lug nuts came off just by using a hand.

CTH8R

Crappy Tire spammed, "what's on top of your tree?"

Samantha K.: An angel.... But I can certainly tell you what's NOT UNDER the tree.... The four winter tyres I had ordered nearly a week ago from my local store on Chemong Rd (hey, at least they got ONE of the FOUR in . But the tyres that just came in are 'all spoken for' and not for me)

CTH8R

Elizabeth K.: Very displeased with customer service in Oromocto, Nb. This past Saturday my husband went to our local Canadian Tire store to purchase 4 new winter tires for my car. Unfortunately, the store was out so we were told that the next city may have them. We got their number from the associate and we called the Oromocto store and inquired about getting those 4 tires and having them installed for us. Yippee...they had 9 instock so they booked us in to have them installed the following day at 3:30pm. The next day arrived and my husband and I packed our 2 children in the car to drive to Oromocto for our appointment. When we got there there was no one at the automotive desk. We waited and waited. There was no bell to ring to anyone know we were there...so we waited. Finally, a gentleman from parts showed up and paiged another gentleman who was supposed to be at the service desk. We were greated by a friendly man who confirmed our appointment and then proceeded to confirm the measurements of my tires...which were INCREDIBLY incorrect. So we ask then...I hope the tires that are on hold are not incorrect to which he replied...we don't have the ones you need. We don't put tires on hold. WOW!!! We changed our Sunday plans to get these tires on, we drove the distance only to realize that the person who originally took our phone was obviously more concerned with other matters and they failed to tell us that they don't hold tires. That would have been very helpful information to know at the time of our phone call. Thanks Canadian Tire.

CTH8R

Another in the on-going series:

Kimberly S.: I am so unbelievably disgusted with Canadian Tire Trenton. I went to have my winter tires put on my car re: change the rubber and was quoted 18.99/tire;price isn't what I am ranting about. After handing over my keys I was told it would be 171.66. I said to the man processing the order " wow that seems high", his response, "Ya, that's typical of this place." I couldn't believe what I had just been told! I wasn't going to pay that amount, so I called Canadian Tire in COBOURG ... They quoted me $59.99, plus tax; at this point I'm enraged, and in fear of going all incredible hulk in the store, I ask why there would be such a HUGE price difference, he response was " all stores are different but that seems REALLY HIGH". Armed with this information I march over and ask for the store manager and explain what has happened thus far. He is appalled, marches over to his service manager and demands answers.
Well looky looky, they were charging me double! Yes you read that right ladies and gents, D-O-U-B-L-E. Icing on the cake? No apology whatsoever. NADA, ZIP, NIENTE.
Moral of the story? Don't just assume b/c you had good service at one store, that others in the chain will do the same, ask people in the area about their experiences.
*end rant*

CTH8R

Winnie C.M.: oh I'm sorry to hear John. I was at the same burlington location and a gentle came back into the shop looking very upset. He had brought his car in earlier, and while he was driving on the road, his tires blew, he was left on the road. when he spoke to the service ppl, they claimed that they told him it was not safe to drive the car,in fact, someone changed the history note after he came back and added the comment it was not safe. I felt so sorry for him. And the staff was talking behind his back saying they did nothing wrong. I should have learn from that lesson and not go back to Canadian tire. i don't know what customer service can do for me because if these are dishonest ppl, i dont see how i can be compensated.

CTH8R

Canadian Tires paid Facebook to spam Canadians with the question, "If our tires could talk, what would they say?".

And ticked off Canadians answered:

Mike G.: If I was cheaper . I wouldn't be soo lonely in this dark warehouse . Just saying

Krzysztof W.: Don't have any work done at Canadian tire automotive

Darren M.: they would say the Canadian Tire marks me up way way too much

Mark S.: Buy me here, have installed somewhere else.

Dave A.: buy all weather from kal tire

Derek M.: They would say don't buy me in Canada I cost too much go to America I cost half price and they install for free.

Patrick T.: go to walmart we are cheaper

JR A.: be very careful you might not want to shop at canadain tire at shoppers world bramptonontario, remember if u have a big bag or packpack u might get harassed.

Darren M.: they would say the Canadian Tire marks me up way way too much

Hilarious!

Last edited:

CTH8R

Vinny P.: I am writing to express my extreme dissatisfaction with my most recent experience of Canadian Tire Auto.
Last week I went in to Canadian Tire to purchase winter tires and rims for my new Jetta. To my dismay, you were out of the size I need –no problem, I understand that this happens, especially this time of year. I went to Walmart to purchase the tires and then back to Canadian Tire to buy the rims, have the tires mounted, and then installed on my car. This process, though slightly inconvenient, was rather painless.
Immediately out of the Canadian Tire parking lot I noticed something was wrong –my car was pulling to the right. It was late and I didn’t want to go back to the store immediately and wanted to make sure that there in fact was a problem. The problem did not resolve itself and the car continued to pull to the right. 2 days later I went back to Canadian Tire and explained the problem. They suggested an alignment ($69 when you buy tires, but not when you buy rims, even if you pay $25 each to have them installed) but that I should go to the dealership as this is covered under warranty –it isn’t, and I was told that alignments are never covered under warranty after the car leaves the lot.
I went back to Canadian Tire yesterday and explained to them that the problem occurred when I put the tires on and that the car was driving straight with the summer tires on. I asked if there might be a problem with one of the rims that they installed or if there is a chance that the tires weren’t balanced. I was told that this was not the case and that it was probably a problem with the actual tires from Walmart (even though they are brand new). I didn’t really understand how this could happen, but was instructed to take the car back to Walmart and have them look at the tires as they were the ones who sold them to me. The mechanic said that he could do the alignment but there was no guarantee that it would solve the problem if the tires weren’t true. We did the alignment –I have to negotiate to the $70 price because I bought rims –this was another battle unto itself, but didn’t bother me much as they eventually agreed to. Canadian Tire took absolutely no ownership of this problem, completely denied that the tires may have been mounted improperly, balanced improperly, but had no problem charging me for an alignment that may or may not solve a problem that they were positive had nothing to do with them.
The alignment didn’t help.
This morning at 7:45am I went to Walmart and expected to be treated exactly the same as I had been at Canadian Tire. I explained to them exactly what I have written here and expected them to send me back to Canadian Tire. Instead, the manager simply asked me if they had checked the tires. I explained that they didn’t. He laughed and told me to give him the keys so I did. He instructed the cashier to put it in the system as a warranty inspection or something of the like. 20 minutes later he came back out and explained what had happened.
2 of the 4 tires were balanced incorrectly –he rebalanced them.
The air pressure was different in all 4 of the tires –none of them were correct –he fixed them all.
He also explained to me that performing an alignment with improper tire pressure (especially with them all at a different pressure) would drastically reduce the effectiveness of the alignment.
I thanked him, bought his entire team coffee, got back in my car, and drove away straight for the first time since having the tires on the car.
I considered driving right back to Canadian Tire and asking for my money back –for the alignment that was both unnecessary and improperly performed but declined as I was late for work and have already spent enough time there this past week.
I am typically not one to complain with poor customer service –I feel this is something we have come to expect from big-box stores that rely on volume rather than loyal return customers –but the complete lack of ownership by Canadian Tire juxtaposed with Walmart’s service compels me to tell this story. I am not so much bothered by the cost of the alignment and the hours that I have spent this past week resolving this as I am with the complete lack of ownership and dismissive attitude that I received. As soon as I made it clear that I wasn’t going to pay to have my car back on the hoist I was shooed away to another big-box store that, in turn, caused me to realize that good customer service is possible at big-box stores –just not at yours.
Sincerely,
Vincent Picone

CTH8R

Don M.: I will never take my vehicle there again. I asked to have a tire replaced, and once they finally finished they said I needed a lot more stuff fixed. Much of it had been repaired/replaced only a few weeks previosly. That was at least 10 years ago and have never gone back for any auto repair . I also will not recommend them for auto repair. I won't give them a chance to shaft me again.

CTH8R

Dave P.: I went to the Port Alberni store today to get some tires installed that I had ordered previously. Shortly after dropping the truck off, I was phoned and told that they could not install the tires because the two remaining tires were the wrong tires for my truck and that they were illegal and unsafe for my truck and that I would need to purchase 4 tires. The service person said that because Canadian Tire had sold them to me a year ago and installed them on my truck, he would look and see if there was anything that could be done. He said he'd call back. An hour later when I still hadn't heard anything, I called back and spoke to the service manager. He apologised for the position that I'm in, but said he couldn't put the new tires on my truck because the other tires that Canadian Tire sold me and installed, were illegal. I asked him if he could sell me the tires, and put them in the back of my truck and I'd get someone else to install them. He agreed to do that, telling me he doubted anyone would do it. When I went to pay, the tire installer was there, and he told me that I couldn't put too much air pressure in the tires that Canadian Tire had sold me and installed. I said it would have been nice if I hadn't been sold the wrong tires before, and his reply was that he didn't know if he had installed them or not, but if he did, his brain must have been asleep at the time. Then the salesman wheeled the tires to the front of the counter, and left me to try and manouver the tires out of the store without even offering to hold a door open...
Not a good experience at Canadian Tire.

CTH8R

Amber M.: Dave, I had an awful experience with a Calgary store. I needed a flat repaired so pulled in on an early Saturday morning and waited for my tire to be fixed paying a lot for it. Now during the day I drove in the city mostly under 60km/h. When i hit the highway at faster than 100km/h I heard this god awful thumping, my tire pressure went off and I quickly pulled off at the Airdrie Canadian Tire 5 minutes to close and had a psycho moment insisting they pull that tire and see what was wrong. Turns out the incompetent tire tech broke my tire pressure sensor and taped it back on the tire!!!!!! No info that they broke it at the Calgary store or anything, I was livid and took many photos for evidence. I work in Oil and Gas and had to return to the field where I was breaking safety protocol by driving a vehicle that had a warning sign on it. So on Monday when I finally reached a guy who claimed to be the manager he accused me that I literally in the span of 7 hours, took the tire off and broke it myself and taped it back in there. How in the hell would I do that????? Finally after throwing another fit I talked to the real manager who also accused me of the same thing till I said "fine I'll take this to the media". He then offered that they would fix it for me, you can't even change a tire I'm not trusting you to repair a tire on a $60,000 truck. He then said they wouldn't pay for the dealership to do it so I said fine I'll go to the media and you'll be hearing from my lawyer. He finally agreed to pay the repair fee after I complained to the store manager. Turns out they claim the store and tire departments don't intermingle but that person did help. It cost me two days of work plus lost travel costs to repair the tire back to code so I could work and I should have been compensated for that loss. I still have the pictures, and I haven't shopped at Canadian Tire, or anything affiliated since. I feel for you,I really do. Sorry buddy, and at a great time of year too.

Amber M.: Long and short of it, go to a real tire dealer, might cost a little more but the service can come with extra and better perks.

Last edited:

CTH8R

Angela H.:Dave Preedy I took my husbands jeep wrangle to Canadian Tire North Bay to have tires put on, I thought it would be a good idea I could shop while they do this. They broke the lock nut so I had to take it somewhere else and they had to cut the locknuts off.

CTH8R

Another tire change gone wrong:

Rick H.: A SNOW TIRE SWAP GONE BAD, COMBINED WITH AN OIL CHANGE AND FUEL FILTER CHANGE AND BRAKE CHECK, THAT THE CUSTOMER DID NOT WANT! I Just wanted the snow tires put on!