This morning it was -19, and -28 with the wind-chill.

I wonder how many people are out shopping for automotive batteries? Maybe not so many for motor-bike batteries, but the warning is still timely:

John K.: They sold me the wrong battery for my motorbike and refused to refund my money. Their HO backed the local store. I will never deal with them again.

John K.: I had a very similar experience. Kicked out of a store for asking for a refund on a battery they sold me that didn't work. I called their HO thinking logic will prevail. they backed the store manager. I will never deal with them again and will be happy to share my experiences with others.

Somebody else noticed the HST rip-off. Other retailers don't try to pull this:

Norm H.: Really disappointed with attitude and way of doing business at CT in Orleans. Paid 160 for a new battery plus 15 for enviromental fees, to be paid back when battery returned. when they charge the enviro fee they add HST. When you return the ald battery they don't give you the HST back. They try to say the government gets it but the only thing that the government receives the HST on is the sale of the new battery. CT is pocketing the HST on the enviro fees. Thats just plain theft in my books.

Denny S.: I hear you Rob, I got my battery replaced yesterday and still in shock how this cost me 300 dollars -- for a battery 300 - I thought canadian tire was a good place to not get ripped off like I would from a dealership ...... boy am I an idiot for shopping here

Kendall B.: Last time ever shopping at a Canadian.Don't believe their battery commercials 5 year warranty what a joke.you would think their would honor the warranty on battery they only sell but they won't. make sure you pay with a credit card because if you lose your bill in the 5 years your S.O.L

I guess that dumb ice-covered truck is supposed to make us by Crappy Batteries from Crappy Tire:

Clint P.: It's nothing new and designed to make people think Canadian tire has the best batteries for the North. It's been known for some years now manufacturers of automobiles were going to make the switch to AGM batteries,(absorbed glass mat). The hold back was in the charging process delivered from the alternator. Any properly maintained and charged battery will start an engine in 40 below. Heat is what kills batteries, not the cold(a common misconception)..Starting ability isn't soley determined by the battery either, it's dependent upon other factors as well, one being, was the block heater plugged in. Believe what you choose, but I will not buy a knock battery product from Canadian tire, I will go to an independent distributor like Battery Direct.

Kliff W.: How about spending the money it took to make that POS truck on kids that need gear to play hockey or other sports. 1 truck vs. a few hundreds kids gear.. get your priorities straight!

Efrem H.: "Powered by the Motomaster Eliminator AGM Battery"... which was the worst battery I've ever had... 2 died in 2 years, and then I didn't have the receipt anymore...

Danny T.: You know, having a battery in an ice truck will void that battery warranty! I was told the same on my 1 year old eliminator battery today. Even though it has 3 year replacement warranty I was completely ignored, told that my battery has frozen and is voided. Go figure batteries freeze in cold? If I had a shady warranty like that on the products I sell in my business, I would be OUT of business!

Ice Truck Battery:

Stephen D.H.: Cool ride misleading commercial, a fully charged battery will not freeze, a discharged battery will. Discharge the battery, freeze it and then try to get warranty, they will not warranty a frozen battery

Wayne C.: outta 4 new batteries from Canadian tire ,all 4 went back the next year ,frozen at 25 below,bad batch I guess

What Mark thinks of the Icy Truck spam:

Mark N.: Really nifty idea CT folks.
However I still will never buy another one of your batteries.
It's not because they are any worse/better then anyone else (although having a premium 'spiraltech' fail in 3 years is rather special). It has to do with your terrible warranty policy on your batteries. I understand the requirement to protect yourselves from fraud. But having experienced AND watched your staff refuse to honour the warranty on a motomaster branded battery with the date of manufacture clearly printed on the unit without the original receipt is terrible. I buy from a local battery shop with a smaller selection, but record keeping that favours the customer (rather then investors).

Delia G.D.C.: That is crap...I had my battery changed last January 2013, today my truck won't start. And the battery they gave me, the positive is too loose. Doesn't look to be the right battery they recommended and installed. I had a new one from another store installed, and it starts easily. The crappy one is only one year old, still under warranty but not changing it with another crap. Sorry.

Icy Truck:

Thomas S.: Anybody else realize that ice is an isulator.... Also.... How do we know if that truck wasn't running for an hour before they shut it off... One more thing... It's a brand new truck too.... Try it on and older truck with less Compression and the kind of truck that literally depends on a battery

Troy S.: Not really sure of the point of the ice truck, aside from looking interesting. If you think critically about it, the ice would act as a good insulator, and inside the truck it would be closer to 0 degrees, or the temperature of the ice. The battery should be expected to work fine, and the engine should be easy to turn over, under those conditions. I suggest putting a traditional truck into a freezer at -40, then start it, and this would then impress me.

Icy Truck:

Christian D.: Already went to CT to for a bad battery checkup. They wanted to change my starter... I purchased a new battery and solved the problem by myself. Be carefull with CT.

I bot an "Eliminator" 10-3400-6 in Dec 2010. The FREE replacement warrantee is over but I still have 6 yrs added on as the deprecation warrantee. Here it is Jan 1 the truck doesn't start the battery is kaput. So I charge it up for a few hours (still no go) So I put the charger on and leave it for 12 hrs. My car in the mean that battery being the original is kaput also (9 yrs old) so I buy one from a local auto parts store. Back to the ctc. I go to ctc on Friday the 3rd. The fellow checks the battery and says its okay (yes I thot it was as I charged it for 12 hrs) but the charge won't hold, next cold day I will stuck again somewhere far from home. He putts around with it talking away in French which I don't understand and he's not going to speak to me in English because this is quebec and he doesn't have to. Anyways I get another lad to translate what this French lad has said with a big grin on his face. I do get another battery of the same ctc number, pay just under $50. The explanation I understand is yur charged from day one at $1.00 per month for a total of $36. for the 3 yrs after that date if u return it for replacement you pay the $36 plus some other fee plus tax comes to just under $50. and ur new warrantee starts all over again from the date u receive your replacement battery. It's cute to say the least but really no one expects anything for free and ctc isn't going to loose either.. am I pissed?? Not really but I'd appreciate a little more politeness but this IS quebec one cannot expect too much. But I will be doing any business in future with ctc at a different store.

fred please learn.one store is just as bad as the other.please dont deal with any of them.....i was going to say a little rant as it happens so where better.mr owner sangria whoever the fuck you are,your stores stink.your policies stink.and thats why brick by brick you WILL go under.you can try to defend such crappy and bullshit policies as much as you like but all of your arguments are groundless and without weight.you are the worst chain it has ever been my misfortune to deal with(thankfully no longer i learnt my lesson).i hope everyone takes your horrible chain to small claims,and brings you down.merry 2014,lets hope by the end you arent spouting nonsense about what your profit margin is anymore after treating your customers so fukkin horrible.you deserve everything that is coming to you.

CT is using the Icy Truck to promote their batteries.

But how well did Nikky's battery perform?

Nikky E.: I just wanted to say I got a car battery 2 and a half months ago here in Saskatchewan we had -56 weather and my car was plugged in but battery froze and the Canadian tire here refused to take it back cause they said it was my fault I didn't know I controlled the weather but I can tell you im never going to get a battery from there again

Back