CTH8R

Jeff D.: Never let you guys touch my vehicles ever again! You did a tune up and didn't check the gap of them! I've burned out two ignition coils because of your techs inattention to details! Now I have to pay to have new ones put in and a new pack! Should have went to the dealer as my wife told me...

CTH8R

Paul M.: A friend took her truck w the engine light on and the kid at CT told her to go home and google it. Wish I ueard these stories BEFORE I took my truck in and got fleeced

CTH8R

Someone else uninsterested in a free tow. Could this be mere coincidence?

Jean M.A.: That sounds good. However, I have experienced repairs by Cdn Tire and NO THANK YOU. Both my daughter and us had fires in our cars after Cnd Tire worked on them.

CTH8R

Gabriele B.: I'm so disappointed after the second set of tires ..........not because of the product...........just the service........you pay 250 bucks for 2 rear tires and the mechanic can not even put your spare tire back were it belongs to...........thank you for telling me my reverse light left is not working ......I fix it myself

CTH8R

Sarwar Y.: When googling Canadian Tire, one can find tons of customer complains. How are you guys still in business with so many complains and misleading customers in the auto service dept by making them repair unnecessary parts for a high amount of price?.... I dont get it

CTH8R

Babak K.:

My Toyota Camry 99 got overheated like suddenly which make me tow the car to Canadian Tire, 2510 Hyde Park Gate, Oakville, ON. I explain not to fix the car until you give me the full estimate because I have limited budget, the car doesn't worth more than $1500 and I don’t want to spend more than $500 on it. They told that I need to pay $48.50 for Cooling & Heating Inspection then they will be able to tell me the exact estimate. I agreed & I explain that it gets overheat in two minuets and I am pretty sure something wrong on thermostat or water pump. Because when I tried to turn the heater on inside is flowing cool & it is not getting hot also radiator was not that hot. Also the radiator fan was working properly; there was no sign of the leaking water. The time was 12:15 Aug 20 2013.

At 2:10 pm I received a call from Canadian Tire was a lady; she told me that I am lucky which the problem is just thermostat. But she recommended me to change the relay on high speed for radiator fan. However she said that is optional but better to do it. I told them are you sure that going to be the problem? Since I am limited on my budget, she said I would give you $30 off cause I had membership cart and confirm the issue is the thermostat. The total of $428+Tax was supposed to be charged to fix the problem and she said they call me as soon as the car is ready to pick up.

Finally she called me at 6:10 saying that sorry we just realize your water pump is gone and there was a mistake on the diagnosed. Now I have to pay $1300 to fix this problem!!!

I am pretty sure my thermostat was okay and no one is going to change the high speed relay since there is no circulation of water (that is funny)
I said okay but I need to talk to the manager regarding the miss diagnose and I would just pay $48.50 because the diagnosis was not completed and please remove the parts which you installed and put mine back to the place. Even Mike who was their mechanic (at the first) was admit that he made a mistake, anyway the ask me to come tomorrow and see Tony who is the general manager. It tokes whole my day to deal with the issue finally take the bus to go home!!!!

On 2013-08-21 I was there at 9 am, was not easy to take the bus from my place to get there, however they said Tony didn't show up yet, I wait until 2 pm which I realized he is not coming so they asked me to come tomorrow anyway….very tired and so disappointed no choice but go bake to home and wait for another day. I waste my whole two days no car no answer and poor customer service

Finally today 2013-08-22 I was there at 9 am, but telling me Tony is sick is not coming today come back tomorrow, that was unacceptable, they were trying to making fun of me they don’t care of the customer they treat me like thief, just playing with me. I said no I need to talk to someone responsible; they changed their word saying that we need to have to change the relay to realize the water pump problem; even other mechanic on the place told me you are right but you can not do anything.
However I said I want to stay here with my car until Mr. Tony shows up it is already three days I waste my time and my car has the same issue as first day and you guys ask me $480 to pay for your mistake.
They send a big guy with the tattoo was rude treat me that I need to leave the place right away which I said I spend 3 days and I have right to see Tony regarding the issue. So they called the police to kick me out. The two police were nice and polite no complain at all however i am going to take the issue to the court. It is not the money issue which is poor knowledge and they don’t have enough skills as a mechanic.
Sorry For My Poor English
Regards
Bijan

And a follow-up:

Babak K.: thank you i hope they would help. this is not a money issue but i am so disappointed of their behavior since i was their customer for last three years. now i have no car with family. appreciate your concern.

CTH8R

Some long stories lately:

Stanley D.: I want to let you know of the very bad automobile service I received today...I had an emergency road side mishap...I found a screw in my front tire, rather than drive home and try to repair this problem at home , I decided to go to your store for this minor repair.....as I explained the problem to your clerk...I was informed that there is a 1 hour wait....I had no problem with this...2 hours later I asked why it took so long ? I was told 1 hour not 2 ??? the clerk informed that it was because I did not make an appointment ???/ are you kidding me ???? how could I possible predict this ??? .... 3 vehicles were repaired before mine...in the time it took I could have easily taken my car to another garage or purchased a flat repair kit and repaired it myself.. I mentioned this to your clerk she replied again that I was not informed of this...her answer was well now you know...my reply was now is too late ...she apologized and said that her colleague should have informed me of this... I told her to forget it ..I will just make a complaint... THANKS FOR A REALLY LOUSY HOSTAGE SITUATION...you ask for a customers keys so that he is held prisoner by your staff and cannot leave to go else wear.. I also intend to make a complaint against you to the consumer protection office....why does your staff lie to your clients...if they must make appointments for break downs on the road it will be necessary to have a physic in all the automobiles in Canada. . If I had gone to any other garage my flat tire would have been repaired immediately...this I know from previous experiences...

Stanley D.: I already made a complaint directly to the store this is the address 6565 Rue Jean Talon Est St. Leonard, QC H1S 1N2

Stanley D.: also I am a member of the CAA and I was debating about calling them to help...but seeing that I was 200 yards from this store and knowing that the CAA will take about an hour I thought it would be a lot faster to go to the Canadian tire store ..I arrived at 9.30 am ...the clerk was speaking with a customer on the phone , explaining that he could not take him as he was busy today...when I spoke to the clerk , my first question was will you be able to repair my flat tire today ?? the clerk replied YES but there is a 1 hour wait ...the garage had 2 vehicles inside after 45 minutes there were 5 ...my car was still in the parking lot outside...I left Canadian tire at 11.45 am

CTH8R

Serious horror story:

Valerie C.: I had my car towed to CT and estimated. The mechanic took the engine apart and then went on holidays! I had to wait 2 full weeks to get the car fixed but then...I wasn't at home with all this, I was in another city 800 miles away and had to fly home finally, have someone else drive the car out etc etc...and they over-charged me by $1000!

Valerie C.: And the engine light is on and the car drags so now I have to go to the Lexus dealership on my own dime to get it looked at! Took it to CT as they were the only ones open on a Saturday of a long weekend...never again, I should have trusted my gut and all my parent's CT stories around the dinner table they would tell as i was growing up...

CTH8R

Kelly H.: Just don't rely on their warranty service after the fact! We went back to our local Canadian Tire today to have a spark plug replaced that they had installed 129 days ago. Although they would give us the replacement spark plugs, they wanted to charge us $150 for the labour to replace them. Apparently Canadian Tire doesn't stand behind the products they sell or install in your vehicle for more than 100 days. We spoke with 2 managers, both of whom were rude and condescending. I will definitely be taking my car service and general purchasing elsewhere from now on.

CTH8R

Doug A.: Whoever is defending canadian tire mechanics obviously never went. In 2006 my friends girlfriend brought in her car for an oil change. They took out the old oil but didnt put any back in. They said it was ready she drove around the block and the engine seized. They had to buy her a new engine. Real experts !

CTH8R

Anissa B.: And they'll make your tires fall off as soon as you leave and claim no fault! And after you contact them at their email they'll never get back to you! Hurry up and get your free tow!

CTH8R

Nicole S.: I received a remote car starter as a gift, I called the local CT and was given an estimate for the cost to install it in my car, a week later when I called back to book I was told the cost was going to be an extra $300-500, the person that gave the original estimate didn't account for the correct labour to install, never did get it installed.

CTH8R

Why the 'free' tow isn't free:

Warren R.: lol.. sure it's free and clearly you don't understand that the first thing they do is hook you up to the diagnostic machine to see what is wrong with your car. booom $75 right there, so much for free. Then, what you also don't realize is that this garage is considered to be the second most expensive garage in the country and they have fooled many for years!
They get you to sign up for the roadside in hopes that you go exactly to the garage where they make their real money!
Nothin is ever free. specially from Canadian Tire people..Wake up!

CTH8R

Carl A.: They charge me $180.00 just to tell me that my A/C needed $1000 worth of repair, so it cost me that to tell me what I already knew

CTH8R

A response to the spam about a 'free' tow:

Shane C.: Why, so you're automotive department/mechanics can destroy my car so that I repeatedly have to return to your terrible store. Get lost.

CT Challenger

There are so many negative CT repair stories on CT's own Facebook page, that even the consumer who read them are beginning to post comments with that observation.

And this thread seems to be 'trending' (as they say) on this site, too.

Not a good sign, Canadian Tire!

Last edited:

CT Challenger

There certainly are a shocking number of negative stories about the historically poor automotive service and CT.

Last edited:

CT Challenger

This negative comments about poor automotive service have lately outnumbered those that are supportive of Canadian Tire auto service.

This is not a good sign for the 'brand', and we could be reaching a 'tipping point' in public opinion.

Once this catches on, it will be difficult, maybe impossible, for CT to regain that lost trust, even if they revamp and re-launch themselves as genuinely competent provider of automotive service.

Last edited:

CTH8R

Holly P.: I wouldn't EVER go to Canadian Tire for car service; they are horrible to deal with!! They don't know how to keep appointments they make with people. You more like wait a couple hours past your "appt" time.