CTH8R

Nicole J.: They replaced a tire for me - with the WRONG size tire - caused $1,200 damage to my car and they still refuse to take responsibility for it. Customer service sucks. complained countless times to no avail.

CTH8R

One more to throw on the growingstack:

Manuel G.B.: amen to that Brother, went there to fix my truck at the beginning they told me was 458 bucks, they made me wait 2.5 fkn hours they come back saying there was something else wrong - after they broke it 870 !!! i told them to ^^^k right off and give me my truck back, never again !!!!!!

Last edited:

CTH8R

That poor reputation just keeps on growin'!

Jake H.: I agree with the comment about the automotive repair department...read your bill very carefully! On 2 occasions. Corrections had to be made in my favor due to overcharging. And extras ..."rip off!

CTH8R

I don't like to double-post, but this story has been tracked on this thread as well, so I thought I'd let readers know how that one more CT victim was able to get at least partial justice after being screwed over by a CT location:

hey i have to tell you what happened, issued the claim in Burlington Small Claim Court, asked a friend to deliver CT copy which he did. they asked him to wait for the received and he staid there for more than half an hour then they said they can not accept the claim so he brought that back. i told him that i don't care about the receive just go there and leave a copy in front of the camera, he went back and showed the documents to all camera and left the place, they didn't want to accept it!!! anyway offer that i can take the care out if i wave the claim. hey man i owe you allot, i mentioned all the acts which you told me i also sent you a copy of the claim by private message hope it works, wish all the best for you take care

Hi, Highborn:

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you.

First of all, congratulations on the resolution of your issue with Crappy Tire!

It seems like consumers are on a roll, clawing their way out from under the piles of Crap that have been dumped upon them.

If I understand your post correctly, you’ve managed to compel Crappy Tire into releasing your vehicle! Woo-Hoo.

(But one would expect that a competent mechanic, having already mis-diagnosed the problem, and then utterly failing to correct the original problem, would have sheepishly returned the vehicle to you, with a contrite ‘sorry for the inconvenience’, and not even bothered to mention the cost of any parts they might have mistakenly put onto your vehicle. But, as I wrote: "competent" is the key word!)

From the sounds of it, they actually should be on the hook, to complete the entire ‘repair’ they agreed to perform, whether it be water pumpt, radiator replacement, or whatever, for the original quote of $428 plus 10% (I.e., an extra $42.80), even though they claim the job should have been quoted at $1800 plus tax.

But it certainly sucks that you had to be dragged through all of this, due only to CT’s incompetence, followed by greed and arrogance. It would be nothing more that basic fairness if they also compensated you for all your lost time battling with them to get a fair deal, plus the court hassles, etc. Not to mention all the stress and worry they caused, by not saying in the first place that this would cost $1800 (in which case, you would have just walked away, knowing the vehicle wasn’t worth fixing).

By the way, before giving up on this vehicle entirely, I suggest that you take the vehicle to a competent mechanic for a correct diagnosis of what’s actually wrong, as well as an accurate estimate on what it will cost to once and for all fix it.

Again, Congratulations on your win, and Sorry that you fell into this trap in the first place!

Last edited:

CTH8R

Kim H.: The Canadian Tire on Robertson Rd put a dent in my car while working on it. After numerous verbal complaints to them, and two written letters to the service manager I got exactly nothing back. Wouldn't ever deal with them again. I live in Thunder Bay now and will never use the service dept.

CTH8R

Mauro B.: Once I took my car to CT because my car had a leak for months. They did a pressure test and said it wasn't leaking. I disagreed and I showed them the leak (that was antifreeze). I moved the car to different parking spots as evidence that new spots were forming. CT stood by their initial report. I took it to a real mechanic who then found that a seal was leaking. $10 later it was done. CT is good if you know what you are getting and where to get it. Great self-service!

CTH8R

This might explain some of the troubles:

Tim P.T.: Canadian Tire Corp is a joke.....they hired me ,only to get rid of me ,because they wanted to go with a younger staff .....now when you go into the south Barrie Canadian Tire on Mapleview Dr , those same young people that i was replaced by in automotive ,don`t have clue what entails the job they have to do ....they traded over 25 years of automotive experience for a young person that does not know anything about automotive,except turning the key to drive home .......what a bloody joke ...............

CTH8R

Trent A.: They charged me to find out i need to replace all my sensors on my car to pass air care, $1000.00 later i took my car through air care and it failed!!!! I took my car back within an hour of aircare and they told me i must have done somthing after i left! But they could do another test for more money to see what was wrong!!! #%&* a%&*&%#! i will never in my life spend a dime there again. Rip off artists, no customer service! Shame on abbotsford canadian tire.

And after the Robo-Reply:

Trent A.: I have contacted this site and they tell me to contact the automotive dept that ripped me off!!

highborn

I don't like to double-post, but this story has been tracked on this thread as well, so I thought I'd let readers know how that one more CT victim was able to get at least partial justice after being screwed over by a CT location:

Hi, Highborn:

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you.

First of all, congratulations on the resolution of your issue with Crappy Tire!

It seems like consumers are on a roll, clawing their way out from under the piles of Crap that have been dumped upon them.

If I understand your post correctly, you’ve managed to compel Crappy Tire into releasing your vehicle! Woo-Hoo.

(But one would expect that a competent mechanic, having already mis-diagnosed the problem, and then utterly failing to correct the original problem, would have sheepishly returned the vehicle to you, with a contrite ‘sorry for the inconvenience’, and not even bothered to mention the cost of any parts they might have mistakenly put onto your vehicle. But, as I wrote: "competent" is the key word!)

From the sounds of it, they actually should be on the hook, to complete the entire ‘repair’ they agreed to perform, whether it be water pumpt, radiator replacement, or whatever, for the original quote of $428 plus 10% (I.e., an extra $42.80), even though they claim the job should have been quoted at $1800 plus tax.

But it certainly sucks that you had to be dragged through all of this, due only to CT’s incompetence, followed by greed and arrogance. It would be nothing more that basic fairness if they also compensated you for all your lost time battling with them to get a fair deal, plus the court hassles, etc. Not to mention all the stress and worry they caused, by not saying in the first place that this would cost $1800 (in which case, you would have just walked away, knowing the vehicle wasn’t worth fixing).

By the way, before giving up on this vehicle entirely, I suggest that you take the vehicle to a competent mechanic for a correct diagnosis of what’s actually wrong, as well as an accurate estimate on what it will cost to once and for all fix it.

Again, Congratulations on your win, and Sorry that you fell into this trap in the first place!

Hi CTH8R
Thank you for all your comments, suggestions, and also kind words of support during this procedure,Without your help, I wouldn't have any succeeded. right now i am thinking to take CT to the court even i get less than what they offer me right now, they would have found the solution before i filed the claim. however i got the key point from you so i need more comments & suggestions, i have some more information which i want to share with you (recently). i would like just to email you for now and if you find it is OK you would publish it here for every body to see.
thank you again & regards

CTH8R

From Complaints Board:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/canadian-tire-e-test-c685161.html

Took my car for the e test with the check engine ON to Canadian tire, they connect it to the reader and it did not pass due to "cooling system performance". They want 123.40 dollars for a "drive clean emissions test diagnostic " which is only done by pushing the bottom of errace code on the reader and take probably 5 minutes of their bussi time to see IF IT COMES BACK ON. So if you want to trow 162.95 (39.55 of their time plugin your car to the reader and123.40 on punching a bottom that errace the error code ) take your car to Canadian tire brantford or probabli any Canadian tire ..by the way the car had nothing just an error from God knows what!!!
Due diligence is going to cost you.!!!

CTH8R

Aj
Oct. 1, 2013
7:56 AM

This stuff happens far more than you think. Shops like canadian tire and most dealerships pay the mechanics flat rate. There is no incentive to take their time and do it right, it's all about how many repairs you can push through in a day. Quality work is not longer valued by the shop owners, it's the reason I left the trade.

CTH8R

Kenderdaednu
Oct. 1, 2013
3:06 AM

Had my Dodge truck front brakes done at Chilliwack Canadian Tire , few days later my right front brake caliper locks closed and almost catches on fire after my hour long highway drive with my elderly parent, if it caught on fire on the hyway at 100 k , we would of been dead , BUT !! theres more after a long apologize and repairs done , a few months later Iam on trip up to the Cariboo to get my dad to the kelowna hospital , well after getting to Kelowna ,LUCKY !!! me the left front locks up on me :( but this time Iam in a Safeway parking lot next to the kelowna Canadian Tire , another locked up brake job :( if that had locked up on the Coquihalla highway 110 k ,with my father in the truck , we both be dead :( you want my opinion get your vehicle work done some place else than Canadian Tire , I am afraid to drive my truck now on the highway , gonna get a real brake shop to look at my truck before I do any more highway trips.

CTH8R

Thank God word is getting out!

Zizzler
Sep. 30, 2013
5:12 PM

Wow, reading all these comments makes me glad I've never been to Canadian Tire for auto service. I wasn't planning on it anyhow, but I'll be sure to avoid them and tell everyone else I know to avoid them.

CTH8R

RJ in Halifax
Sep. 30, 2013
1:44 PM

Seems like CTC hasn't learned anything in 30 years. In 1981, I took my car into a CTC store in Calgary to have a block heater installed. The "technician" managed to crack my engine block in the process, resulting in an engine replacement that took about one week. Them the very same day I got my car back, I was on the highway to Banff when the engine siezed up. Turns out they had used the old oli from my original engine to refill the new one, metal shards included. Finally, after 5 weeks, I got my car back in good running order; however, I had to sue CTC in small claims court for the cost of a rental vehicle. The CTC store owner claimed he didn't have to supply me with a rental bacause I only brought my car in for a block heater. Since that jos was completed the same day, a renatl was not authorized. The fact that I went without my car for 5 weeks was apparently "beyond his control". The judge actually thought he was on Candid Camera before realizing the man was serious.

CTH8R

BeenThereDoneThat
Sep. 30, 2013
1:40 PM

Having had numerous bad experiences at Crappy Tires in both B.C & AB, including a CV joint boot improperly installed, oil plug installed improperly after an oil change (woke up to an oil flood in my driveway) my best advice would be *avoid Crappy Tire like the plague*. Their costly and shoddy repairs aren't worth the aggravation. And a resolution takes forever and is a HUGE fight.

CTH8R

i'm dissapointed so buzz off
Sep. 30, 2013
1:35 PM

If Canadian Tire was dissapointed then why were they jerking this guy around? The words coming out from their mouths isn't matching up with their actions.