CTH8R

More:

David S.:

I got an email last night about a recall on children's booster seats for the car and the only reason I paid attention was due to the picture in it and that it was the seats I am using for the kids. So I headed to Canadian Tire this morning as they were the ones recalling them and said they accept all returns and will refund.
What they don't tell you is that they give you the lowest possible sale price for the items because you don't have the receipt for something you bought over a year ago. So I got $28 back for 2 booster seats (store credit that is). So they've already made a 60-70% profit on the item instead of giving you the regular price on a *recalled* item which they've probably been refunded back from the manufacturer as well.
Now you take that $$ they refunded and go to buy 2 more booster seats because you have no choice but to have them. WOW..the cheapest ones they have in stock now are $50 (up to over $100). So not only do you not get the full price refund you now have to spend an additional $70 dollars to get the replacement seats. They know you have to do it as you just turned in your two defective seats. So Canadian Tire makes yet another profit because you returned an item THEY recalled. And your store credit isn't useful anywhere else!
So what happens to someone who doesn't have the additional $70 to spend on these booster seats? Does Canadian Tire really care if they use defective seats or no seat at all?
Corporate greed for something they should be fully taking care of instead of making a profit on a defective safety item.
‪#‎CanadianTire‬ ‪#‎greed‬ ‪#‎safetyrecall‬
Canada Safety Council

CTH8R

Let's be generous and only count it as 2.

#928, 929:

Dominique B.:

Congratulations Canadian Tire! You just lost me and my family as customers.
Spent 20min at customer service counter while your staff did everything they Could to NOT HONOR price match with the bay.
WOW!!!
You could even hear them chatting away to find reasons not to apply the policy!
WOW!!!!

CTH8R

#930:

Mike A.:

Hype and horseshit. Stay away from the Auto service centre at the Cobourg store. Had front wheel installed there fly off the car on the 401 at 100 k + They should be charged with negligence. Expensive tow and $ 458 dollar repair bill. No apology forthcoming from owner Ralph Moulton, or Corporate. Lesson learned.

CTH8R

#932:

Kevin L.:

Well I had a terrible experience today. I had purchased some chains for tires of a UHaul I had rented. Before the purchase we had asked both the auto guy and cashier about returning the product if we had an issue. Both told us we could, but failed to inform us of the 72hr deadline. Anyways they weren't the right size but we were busy with our move and didn't have time to return them till the next wk. We go to return them in Kelowna (originally purchased in Lloydminster) and were told that we couldn't return them as it's past the 72hrs. Were told it says it on the receipt and was our fault for not noticing. Yet we went to Wal-Mart right after and did a return without a receipt, no questions asked in under 2mins. I said to CT I'd be fine with an in-store credit but nope. Definitely have no plans to ever go to Canadian Tire again and will be cancelling my CT Options card. Horrible customer service and look forward to spreading the word about the experience.

CTH8R

#933:

Alan A. C.: I hear you Kev. We had a horrible experience in the past with a Canadian Tire auto shop. Their auto shops are set up as a scam trying to sell you stuff you don't even need. I posted something similar a few months back. As far as Canadian Tire taking it seriously; they said the same thing to us, and when the store finally got back to us, they waived our labour. Unfortunately the price of all our parts went up to make up for their loss. They didn't even care when we pointed out the original prices for our parts was higher now on the new bill. Used to be one of my go to establishments, now I avoid it like the plague. Good luck Kev, and I hope they treat you better than they did us.

CTH8R

#934:

Diane S.: Typical arrogant treatment of a customer by Canadian Tire, you should be switching your buying to Walmart

Roadwarrior

Interesting story, for anyone picking a repair shop, or even just swapping summers for winters:

Richard L.:

my name is richard l. i am a 56 year old man,interprovincial red seal auto mechanic inspector and i am a resident of parksville,over the last 35 years i have repaired thousands of cars, i have help so many wonderful people in our town with car troubles been called honest and sincere helpful and dedicated to customer service, am a married to the most wonderful person ,i have two awesome daughters one who has just became a registered nurse the other still in university,both of them who saw mom and dad work to help our community and themselves follow in our foot steps to be helpful in life,we have had some hard times like many others in our small community,work has always been hard to find in our parts, i was so excited when finally the parksville canadian tire was going to open,after 7 long years i so much wanted to join the team,to be able to help customers in a brand new shop,nice equipment and all that comes with it,this is what happened instead,in the first week two good technicians left,one installer was fired for speaking out on a dangerous truck,we all drive on these roads no one deserve to be involved in an accident with a potentially unsafe truck,our job as tech is to keep you and your family and friends safe .the original pay rate was of 24 dollars an hr for red seal professionnel mechanics on flat rate,kind of low for red seal techs but we were starting off,a guarantee of 5.5 hrs a day for a total of 132 dollars a day, i provide a tool box with 60,000 dollars of tools to service the customers cars to the best of my abilities,and to provide quality repairs, after the first week the were happy as i stayed till 6.30 one night and 7 the next with no extra pay,i knew the customers needed the work trucks and i was the only one in the 5 bay shop for those two days,a heavy work load a new shop and went out of my way to deliver the best i could for this new store,i was told job well done richard,this happened again on two other nights,i never said anything,i just was happy to be needed and proud to once again serve the public. the owner came down after two of the other techs left because of low wages to the techs and told us he would up it to 25 an hour and guarantee us 8 hrs for the first three months,which seemed a little more fair so we accepted and carried on, in the mean time in the store other employees were fired, they seem to be trigger happy. the first week went good as we had some of the best in the corporation helping out and i am speaking of al o. ,a hard man but a fair person one in which i have much respect for,a true leader and one who was not only impressed by my efforts but told me he was happy to have me on the team,i felt like a hero,inspired and proud.the next week was quite different and negative energy flowed thru the shop,irv the service manager told me he just got hammered for poor performance in the shop,i tough to myself hmmmm heads are going to roll,and i was right just didn't know it was going to be mine,not after the efforts i had put in and the service i was giving, at 28 dollars an hour i can make good money ,but only if work comes in,if i get 41 hours i will make 30 an hour sounds good right,but hold on i don't make the quote or book in jobs that are profitable to a tech,i started to get oil changes that pay .3 of an hr in which i have to go get the car and put it up on the hoist do a thorough inspection,brakes,exhaust,spotting bad suspension,all the fluids, a battery test,a brake fluid test,a coolant ph and freeze point inspection,the vin number plate number mileage, reset the oil maintenance or attache a sticker to the window,transfer all this information into the system,and return the car outside before i am done and that my friends pays me $8.40 and takes one half hour and even if i did two in one hour my pay would be $16.80.tires pay .2 to get the car or truck bring it in and change it over with the same kind of little inspection,not good at all, the after working hard and for the company i am told we work on weekends as well,the only thing that will get done on weekends is oil changes and tires mostly.the ct tire promise of good wage is getting very dimm ,on saturday at 6 pm after staying late,tired and hungry,Irv the service manager come to me and i can see he is not happy,i did my best to do everything i could,but to no avail his goal is not that of mine,he says to me so you don.t want to work sundays,i said i prefer not to,there is no money in it for me and the young installers should be able to handle it,so your not working sundays and i again repeated i would prefer not too,so your not going to work sundays and again i repeated i really would prefer not too,i have done my time and using red seal tech to do tires and oil change on sunday and forcing them to make no money is wrong,finally upset at his condescending stance,i leave to go home, the next morning i come in a little early in hope to talk with him again to see if there are any other ways of working this out,i put on my coverall and sweep the floors open the doors and great a few early customers as i always do,and when Irv shows up,he looks at me same stance and says,you don,t get it do you,i said what ,you don,t get it,i said get what,your done your fired ,i said fired he said ya FIRED. a little shocked to say the least,hurt is more like it,how can i go from a hero to a zero so fast,what did i do wrong. considering when he hired me he never gave all the details,and sundays is the only day my wife and i really ever have to ourselves,i never said no i simply said i would prefer not to,how can a company retain professional red seal tech that go out of there way to provide the best they can,stay late if needed,help any customer who is seeking just some advice or help,and treat there staff that way. this is the worst place i have ever worked for in all of my 35 years as a tech.you bet i am upset and hurt from this. working i a shop is difficult at the best of times,helping the two young guys they hired to service your cars with no experience to make sure they do it right,in the two weeks i was there i never seen anybody come and spend time with those to young techs,how will they get better if no one helps them out,guidance and training is what they need.they get it from caring technicians who give a damm.to all the wonderful customers i had the opportunity to serve i thank you ,i will miss helping you.to the canadian tire store of parksville,flexible hours,team unity and a career time for family seems to be a little bit of a miss,to treat your older workers this way is shameful to say the least and in a community that strives to help older people,shame on you SHAME.

I was working at the store during the period you mention. You did not do any of the things you say you did. You left wheel nuts loose on a car and the wheel almost fell off. You put directional tires on the wrong way. You didn't respectfully request not working weekends, you had a screaming fit, something about "church day". You told an installer that the correct way to tighten oil filters was to grease their hand so it would slip when the filter was tight enough. No one was fired for an unsafe vehicle. You didn't stay until 7 because the entire store closed at 6 and you didn't greet early customers because you had no key to get in. You weren't the only one in the shop either. Maybe you could explain why the Canadian Tire in Nanaimo let you go as well. nice story, but false.

CTH8R

Interesting, hearing the inside story from a named person, and then some anonymous person of unstated affiliation arguing the opposite.

Yet the stories Richard L. Tell, are ones we keep hearing over and over, from all across the country. What a coincidence!

CTH8R

#935:

Cara K.: I just recently had a bad experience with Canadian tire as well. Absolutely horrible service. I haven't gone there since nor do I believe we will be returning. It's too bad such a large corporation has such poor ethics!!!!

#936:

Wendy D.:
Dear Canadian TIre, I just wanted to let you know why I will never set foot in another one of your stories again. Last night I entered your store in Huntington hills to buy a dog leash, I was followed by the girl at the customer service desk and told if I didn't leave my back pack (the I use as my purse ) that I would have to leave. I have been in this location a number of times with the same back pack and this is not only the first time I have been asked to leave but it is the first time I have been greeted at all so from now on I will be shopping at Home Depot.

#937:
Jessica V.:
Crooks... Never ever again

#938:

Chantele N.:

Not happy with Canadian tire this morning go there to get my stools cause it's showing me the picture is 14.99 and its there typo and they don't even give me the price it's showing cause there cheap !! Like I didn't make the mistake you did !!! I should have gotten the price shown !! I didn't get no price change memo !!!!!! Uhgggg done with Canadian tire

#939:

Cheryl M.:
worst service ever from Canadian Tire Whitehorse. customer Service desk does not serve rather give misinformation and the manager is just as bad and would not help in any way whatsoever in honoring a rain check for a product that is no longer available until maybe June. so wait five months if you want this product and if no longer available oh well pick something else. i will pick another store to shop at

#940:

Rick P.:
Will never purchase goods from your store EVER again . When you purchase from one store you should be able to return to another store. Lesson learned go to Home Depot where they care about their customers

CTH8R

#941:

Ray J.: I have a question. What's the fastest way to spend your hard earned money? Answer= To buy gas from a crooked store like you getting caught price fixing. I will never buy a thing from you again Canadian tire.

CTH8R

#942:

re: Canadian tire / China tire (everywhere)
You forgot to include ,,,, no tellers at Canadian tire. all self serve more jobs gone. I have stopped going there 2 years now. used to spend many dollars there including car repairs. All the fools who accept self serve will pay more for people on welfare. Where are you actually saving?

CTH8R

#943:

Anello D.:Terrible customer service!!!!
Even from the complaint dept!!! Do not shop here!!!!!

#944:

Chris T.:

On my way home from work I discovered I had a flat tire. I was close to Canadian Tire Confederation Park Mall Saskatoon SK, so decided to pull in and ask for help due to my thumb being broken. Now I thought the kids working there would not hesitate to lend me a helping hand, boy was I wrong!!!! First the kid says they can't come out to the parking lot because it is against policy. So I asked if I could just pull it into their empty bay. He then developed an annoying ATTITUDE with me and said he would have to charge me $30 to help me get the spare down from my truck and switch it out for me. I asked to speak to his manager in wich he says there isn't one working?!!. Then tells me he could lose his job if he walks outside even to "look" at my spare, because he is not a technician!!! So doing a good deed for someone is wrong at a customer service based outfit??? Not to worry, my beautiful WIFE came to my rescue and helped me change my tire. I have been a Canadian Tire customer for years, and that just STOPPED today. I will be encourageing my family and friends to also stop shopping here as well, and the word will spread, trust me! Thanks for nothing!!!
Signed,
VERY DISAPOINTED FORMER CUSTOMER

#945:

Irisdude M.:

These guys just ripped me off BIG time ! i am never gonna shop here or recommend them ever ! Maybe if they apologize,refund,exchange,and make it right i may change my mind, but far as the Brantford store goes No way !

#946:

e-Test Rip-off:

Jean T.: Wow never heard of that before. Certainty won't be going there!

#947:

Katie H.: Lesson learned!!! Ugh! Never again.

#948:

David B.:

Warning: don't buy the batteries from the Canadian Tire on Princess at Gardiner in Kingston ON. The person who kept them maintained was away for weeks last December and the one I bought would not hold a charge. The store DID NOT HONOUR THE WARRANTY!
In my opinion the batteries at that Canadian Tire are suspect at best and you will be throwing away your money if you buy one.

#949:

The store in Abbotsford is SO bad............. They almost never have advertised items in stock, if the system says they DO, no one can locate them. And they just say "sorry. can't find them..... " and they MOVE ON...I asked for rain check, NO rain check. 7 out of ten times we have been in there they do NOT have the items advertised....... She said " u could go to Langley, CHilliwack or Mission, the system says they have them in stock. " MY ANSWER was "SO DOES YOURS"............ It says U have them in stock too.........but here I am with an empty cart because U SAY no one knows where they are! We will NEVER set foot in this store again. It is beyond pathetic. We went and bought the items some place else....It is up to the STORES to have advertised items ON HAND..... It's called MERCHANDISING! KNOW your store and your STOCK!

Bonus:

Marie-Lise D.:

En novembre dernier, nous avons acheté ce foyer électrique de 999,99 $ chez Canadian Tire...... Ce matin, j'ai remarqué que la bordure décolle!!! Je retournerai certainement pas au magasin, car la vendeuse a bien été claire en nous disant que lorsque le meuble est monté, on ne peut pas le retourner..... Mais en payant mille dollars, nous pensions avoir de la qualité et surtout le garder pour plus que 3 mois!!!! Vraiment déçu et pas satisfaite ni du produit, ni du service!!!!! Pensez-y deux fois avant de faire confiance à Canadian Tire frown emoticon

Last November, we bought this electric fireplace of $ 999,99 at Canadian tire...... This morning, I noticed the edge off!!! I shall return and certainly not at the store, because the saleslady has been clear in telling us that when the cabinet is mounted, we can't return it..... But by paying a thousand dollars, we thought we had the quality and, above all, keep him for more than 3 MONTHS!!!! Really disappointed and not satisfied nor of the product or service!!!!! Think about it twice before trusting in Canadian tire frown emoticon

CTH8R

#950:

Chris D.: Last year about April, my Dodge van had a brake problem several blocks from Canadian Tire in Nanaimo. In the previous 1 year and 2 months, I had spent in excess of $2000 at that Canadian Tire on tools, a generator and lawn care stuff.
My brakes were burning up. I managed to get up the hill to their place and pulled into their service center and I saw one mechanic working on a vehicle. There were about 15 bays I think. All except for 3 were empty. That being 3 occupied bays, 1 of them with my van in it.
The service manager would not take me because he said they were too busy. He told me I would have to leave it over night. I live on a small island just off of Vancouver Island, so leaving it over night, and having two dogs with me, I could not do that. So he told me to get out. That was how he said it. Get out, you can't have your vehicle in here. I thought that was rude.
I left after I used his phone to call a tow truck to take my van to another place in Nanaimo (Speedy Brake and Muffler). He didn't even want to let me use his phone. I would have become very angry had he refused that. I would have gone to the manager of the store.
However, not wanting to waste any more time, because of the dogs in the van.
They opened the rear door and I drove out and parked waiting for the tow truck. A mechanic came out and asked me why the service manager did not take my vehicle. I told him he said it was too busy and for me to leave it over night. (This was still around 10 in the morning). The mechanic groaned and shook his head. Nobody else came outside and I eventually got it to Speedy Brake and Muffler in the core of Nanaimo and they fixed my van in 2 hours.
I don't shop at Canadian Tire anymore. I have one of their credit cards and will never use it and have never used it. They are a crummy outfit in my opinion.

#951:

Driss L.:

(Translated) Bad service, run before making an accident in your car because of their incompetence. Sorry if the employee sent falls on this post but better that people are aware that you could potentially break the car of 3/4 of your customers.
The clerk offers me a oil for engine that won't even with my engine. If it wasn't for one of the colleagues who came out to ask if what you were telling me it had the sense, I would have had a beautiful oil change with oil canola on your part.
I would give no name, but you can be sure that I would take the necessary steps to obtain compensation. 15 $ 000 loss potential and I am certain that you don't have the means to allow you to damage the car of somebody so stupidly.
Canadian tire, I give you a good time to contact me by Facebook or other but I'm waiting for a compensation for your incompetence or be sure I'd pass the message to the people never do business with Canadian tire for your car.

Bonus:

Billy D.:
I was just at one of your locations in Toronto. A salesperson came to me and told me about a special offer concerning a rewards card. He went through the whole process on the iPad, asked me to sign without having read any terms or conditions, and once it was all completed, he mentioned a MasterCard.
I have had only one credit card in my life. If the salesperson had said anything about a MasterCard at any point during this process, I would have immediately declined. By the time it was approved, it was too late to reverse it. I don't want to further affect my credit score by now cancelling a credit card that I never wanted in the first place.
I came in for an oil change - not to apply for credit.
I feel like I've been scammed and I really expected better of a place like Canadian Tire. I'm very, very upset by the whole experience.

Trish W:
The EXACT same thing happened to me about three years ago at the Canadian Tire at the Eaton Centre. I was lied to and told that I was signing up for coupons! I was furious when a credit card arrived in the mail!
It's obvious that Canadian Tire is extremely sloppy, or devious, in their marketing methods. With the same things still happening they apparently don't want it to change, so it must be working for them.
This makes me want to boycott them. I was just there a couple of days ago. I think I'll return my items and go elsewhere!

CTH8R

A good lesson, and soon a boycott:

Chantal D.:

I returned a blender my husband got me as a valentines gift today. Now, husbands bad, he didn't keep the receipt. I return the blender and get 31.34 back in total. I return home and find out from my husband that it was an 85$ blender!!!
I find out after that CT only gives back the lowest price it has ever been?? Are u kidding me? The customer rep should have explained that to me AND told me what the regular price was. She never said hello, or smiled. Completely unfriendly and rude.
I went to CT faithfully and now i am reconsidering where i will shop in the future.

CTH8R

#952:

Shelley J.:

Kicked out of the CT parking lot. Guess this is a good reason for farmers and oil workers not to shop at Canadian Tire anymore !

#953:

Kevin S.: Well one place I won't shop at anymore.

#954:

Shelley L:.

I have shopped at the Bonaventure Drive Canadian Tire for more than 15 years. I own a home near in Bonavista and purchase automotive, household, garden tools, camping gear, sporting goods, and other items to name a few. When I checked out with my bird feed yesterday, I had come from the University and was carrying my backpack rather than my purse. The cashier said to me 'you're supposed to leave packpacks at customer service when entering the store.' I asked why someone would do that considering it contains my wallet, iPad, cell phone and specialized recording technology. She said 'that our policy'! I said well maybe if it's a bunch of teenagers and they are creating theft issues. She replied 'well I'll call a manager, then.' I'm waiting for the MC transaction to complete and I'm wondering why the cashier is calling the manager. A young manager came over (I failed to get his name, (tall, thin, young, male, dark short hair)). The cashier said to him 'I asked to look in her backpack and she said no, so I called you.' I explained that's not what she said at all. I started explaining what had transpired, when he interrupted me, mid sentence. He leaned in, took a louder and taller posture and began telling me about 'the policy'. At this point, there is a customer waiting behind me and my transaction was complete. I pushed the birdseed into my bag and left. This is one of the first times that I have experienced 'abusive' behaviour while spending my money at this retailer. As I was leaving the manager condescendingly said to me..'have a nice day, Miss. Clearly, I'm in my 50's. It seems these two employees do not value customer service or customers for that matter. Although this Canadian Tire is a handy location, I know of other retailers who will happily accept my money.

Last edited: