CTH8R

This thread continues to get a lot of "views", especially in the fall and spring, when people are swapping around their tires.

I assume people want an idea what it should cost, maybe because they suspect they got ripped off at Crappy Tire.

I use a local mechanic whom I've learned to trust, and I got the swap done by him just this morning.

My winters are already on their own rims, and I was charged $10 per tire, flat rate (not hourly). There was $5.20 HST, so the total was only $45.20.

(I suppose I could have swapped them myself, and I've done it before. But for $10 I'll pay a guy who will also check the brakes and the suspension for wear, while it's already up on the hoist.)

I also asked my mechanic what a "full" swap costs, i.e., when the winters aren't on their own rims, which means the summer tires are pulled off the rims, and the winter tires are put on the same rims (with balancing, etc.) .

He said a "full swap" is about $25 a wheel, and with HST it's about $113.

(So, rims are a good idea, because you'll save the extra cost twice a year - fall and winter, so after a year or 2, you've covered the cost of the rims. It's also a LOT less wear & tear on the tires themselves, which can become worn over time by being stretched over the edge of the rim repeatedly. That alone will make your tires leak less and last a lot longer, making rims an even better investment.)

I think it would be useful for people to know what other places are charging in my area (the "labour rate"). I plan to check around some of the other shop, like Walmart and Costco - I'll just give them a call. Maybe I'll try another local garage. And I suppose I should ask at one or two Crappy Tires in my area, and see what they charge.

But, keep in mind, there are so many traps and rip-offs at Crappy Tire, and so many cases of the wheels coming completely off, that you should think long and hard about letting them get their paws on your ride, even if the tire swap sounds straight-forward (i.e., a repair that most motorists are supposed to be able to do at the side of the road without any training or extra tools.)

It sounds easy, but no matter how cheap they might turn out to be, you might want to check this thread, before you book an appointment:

https://www.canadiantiresucks.net/g...stallation-service-warranties-online-etc.html

Last edited:

CTH8R

Cory L.: Canadian Tire charges $200 to just change 4 tires that are already off the vehicle. Take of old rubber and replace with new. Not even on the vehicle. Costco charges $50.

CTH8R

Winter tire season is here again. And it sent just the rate you have to watch:

Irfan M.: Purchased 4 winter tyres for my Hyundai which is 8 months old. My wife was tricked into wheel alignment by the service person costing $90 + taxes. She was advised all inclusive in one fee of $72 tire change and balancing, may be an individual behaviour but cost me money in the end. Most new cars do not need Alignment and wheel balancing is good enough, so watch out

Irfan M.: Yes I did on contact us link on your website. Also provided invoice no and my contact no. It was definitely not a pleasant experience. I will like to discuss this. Your invoice no 200264000673870 my contact no 416xxxxxxx.

CTH8R

Mike S.: WHY are some of your dealers FORCING their employees to submit to a BIOMETRICS finger and / or palm scan for clocking in and out? The CT location I worked for 4 years took on a new dealer and he implemented this biometric system which I DO NOT AGREE WITH. He gave me NO CHOICE but to quite. Please have your dealers consult their employees before they implement systems which they may not feel comfortable with or infringe on their privacy or security. GOOD BYE!

CTH8R

Something to think about, if you haven't yet done your spring tire swap:

Dianne S.:
Very bad experience, swapped my winter for summer tires, they put a damaged tire on my car,on the inside where I wouldn't see it. When found by an independent mechanic 2 days later, there was no missing this was dangerous. This is by a store that calls themselves Canadian TIRE. Perhaps if they had spend LESS time trying to find burnt out bulbs, dirty in cabin air filters, and pushing for an expensive wheel alignment, they would have noticed that they were putting a dangerously damaged tire on my car, makes you wonder where it got damaged. Not a chance of getting through on the phone to the manager of the sales department

bishious

Just so you know, ALL auto repair shops charge for shop supplies at a similar rate. No exceptions. I say this based on 25 years as a service advisor and having worked at both CT and dealerships. It is often used as a way to give the customer a discount and it is at the discretion of the service advisor.