CTH8R

Another unsatisfied customer.

If you watch Facebook pages for similar Canadian companies, you won't find as many complaints as CT has.

And hardly any complaints like this, about terrible return policies

Elena B.: I tried to return it on Friday but I was told exchange for another GPS only. I came on Saturday and tried to have store credit or at least credit for another GPS which would be on sale to buy later. I was told that GPS is not supposed to find by the name but only by the address. I have 4 year old Garmin. I bought it for updated maps. If I had the same situation with Future shop I will be able to have refund.

CTH8R

Remember this?

Cosmo M.: Not impressed with the Canadian Tire Store located on Westmorland Road in Saint John New Brunswick. I purchased a yardworks electric snow thrower on November 28, 2013. On today's date being December 01, (only 4 days later) I took it out of the box and set it up. We had a 5cm snowfall the previous night so I thought I would give it a try clearing my deck as that is why I purchased it. It was so sluggish and struggling with this little bit of snow I decided to stop using it in fear that I would break it. It was less than 5 minutes of use on a wooden deck. I completely cleaned it off, I used a leaf blower to dry it and then wiped it all down. I re packaged it in all its original packaging and box. You could not even tell that I took it out of the box. We then returned it to the store explaining to the store manager that it was not strong enough to do what I wanted. She promptly says sorry nothing I can do other than exchange it for another one because it was now considered used. There was no willingness to discuss it further and she just walked away leaving me out almost $200.00 for a machine that is no good to me. We asked if they could even to a partial credit or store credit, but no she just walked away. I have since emailed the Canadian Tire customer service dept to file a formal complaint. I have not yet received a response. I just want to make everyone aware of this store policy and warn everyone that in the eyes of Canadian Tire, it is buyer beware. Like I can afford to throw away $200.00 in this economy and right before Christmas. They shouldn't be allowed to use the the word "Canadian" in their name. They are not very Canadian like at all.

This was a object lesson on what "Customer Satisfaction" means.

So, how did the Red Triangle of Crap do with the clear-cut example?

Let's see:

---

Cosmo M.: Just a follow up on the response I received form Canadian Tire's supposed customer service dept. All I got back was a template form letter with it addressed to me. There was no open formal discussion or even an willingness to try to understand my position. It was not even signed by any particular individual. Oh in my letter to them I did not ask for info on their return policy I wanted to speak to upper management to file a formal complaint. STAY CLEAR OF CANADIAN TIRE!!! See below for their response........

Thank you for contacting our office regarding our Return Policy.

To return an item for exchange or refund, bring it to any Canadian Tire
store within 90 days, in its original condition and packaging, with your receipt
and issue of Canadian Tire “Money”.

Original condition generally means that the product is:

- Clean
- Complete
- Not defective
- Not used
- Not installed
- Not modified (e.g. rope cut to length, paint that has been mixed)

Returns without the original receipt or packaging will be accepted at Canadian Tire’s discretion. If a product is defective, the manufacturer’s warranty will apply. Credit to the original method of payment or a store credit will be provided as required. Some exceptions may apply. Your name, residence address and phone number will be required. This information is collected, used and retained to help prevent fraud, and may only be disclosed within Canadian Tire. Valid photo ID may be required to confirm this information.

Exceptions include:
• Items limited to return within 30 days: all electronics
• Items which may only be returned if they are unopened: ink cartridges, media, and memory cards

Gift Cards purchases are final:
Gift Cards are not returnable and non-refundable.

We apologize we are unable to honour your request.

We thank you for providing us with the opportunity to respond.

Corporate Customer Relations
Canadian Tire Corporation Limited
1-800-387-8803

Last edited:

1wildhorse

from my experience with dealing with generator,i believe there is something in law that allows you to return something if it is not fit for the purpose for which it is intended.presumably a snow blower is used with the intention of blowing snow,so if it doesnt do that job properly then i think he is well within his rights to legally return the product...

CT Challenger

That's a very good point.

There's a big difference between "I just changed my mind." verses "It doesn't work as advertised".

So, it would depend on how they represented the product.

If the customer described their needs and the store recommended this product, then clearly the store is responsible for their mistake.

(Although CT could plausibly deny everything.)

If the customer went by what the box says, and it didn't do the job, again the store is responsible.

For instance the box says "removes up to x inches of wet snow" vs. just "can remove up to x inches of light powdery snow".

But often these products are vague: "removes snow" or "light duty" vs "heavy duty".

Last edited:

1wildhorse

exactly and i believe courts tend to give benefit of the doubt towards the consumer.certainly thats what happened on my part!

CTH8R

Something to consider:

"In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

It's best not to "feed" a Troll by responding to their nonsense.

Last edited:

CTH8R

Another victim. They probably read the big sign that says, "Easy Returns, Keep Your Receipt", and fell for it.

I'm not sure they will get anything back using their friend's advise, though, but I wish them luck!

Ji Y.C.K.: Today, I got bad service from nanaimo customer service centre. I went to return a free oil heater, but the employee said that she can't accept it because I opened it. But how could I know that it was noisy before open it? I used just once yesterday. I understand your return policy. But the problem was that employee's attitude. She was very rude,and seems racist. At that time I met my friend and told him about my situation and she told me that if I repack it and tape it then she will accept my return request. She didn't explain me that she can accept the return request if I repack it looks original. I stood in front of customer service desk quite long time. I don't understand why that kind of staff works at customer service.

1wildhorse

not too sure that is true. given your postings without any proof. nice try ateher and gallenger.
wow youre sounding more like mr owner every day.try looking up small claims proceedings.when an individual sues a company,judges are instructed to take this into account and to look more favourably upon the claimant.FACT.

1wildhorse

or at least take into account that the plaintiff has no lawyer but the defendant does.i read it somewhere,but since case is now over i deleted a whole bunch of stuff.

CTH8R

S-Angry-A-Guy has entirely dropped his, "Gee, can I just ask an innocent question" ruse, and has revealing himself to be just a CT Troll, on here to disrupt and provoke.

"In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

It's best not to "feed" a Troll by responding to their nonsense.

1wildhorse

anyways its besides the point.if your store actually treated its customers properly then there would be no need to take you to court.....

Sangria5

wow youre sounding more like mr owner every day.try looking up small claims proceedings.when an individual sues a company,judges are instructed to take this into account and to look more favourably upon the claimant.FACT.

i am sure there are a lot of frivolous claims that go to court. my guess is the judge weighs the arguments and makes a decision. never heard that one or the other is looked upon more favourably before. i don't believe that.

Sangria5

i would not know. I haven't been to court. and aside from 8her's commentary, who am I disrupting or provoking? there is only a couple of posters on this blog including me.

1wildhorse

i am sure there are a lot of frivolous claims that go to court. my guess is the judge weighs the arguments and makes a decision. never heard that one or the other is looked upon more favourably before. i don't believe that.
and boom there went your credibility over the hill and far away....as someone who has undergone the court process,i dont believe that anyone who has a 'frivolous'claim would be bothered to actually go to the hassle of the whole thing-far too costly and time consuming in my opinion.but the way youre saying it,seems like everyone who has a complaint about CT is FRIVOLOUS.man you really have your head up your ass,ive said it before and ill say it again.
and i noticed you didnt bother to deny that you were part of the CT trolling thing this time.games up.

1wildhorse

and if you actually came on here with a reasoned argument defending CT properly that couldnt instantly be picked apart for the shite it is then you would actually be given some respect.unfortunately its as h8r says 'TROLLING'.and so what if theres only a few regular posters?theres quite a few 'silent' readers who have probably made up their own minds.not for us to tell people how to think.all we do is record what is being said on YOUR facebook page,so that when its deleted there is still a record of the terribad ways of your company.actually you probably think that h8r,challenger and myself are one and the same people what the thought never occurred to you?that it might only be one person responsible for all of this?bit like yourself?in all honesty WE DONT CARE,we enjoy slagging off your crappy company as often as we can!

CTH8R

This poor customer was told they could return an item if it was found to be unsatisfactory. Turns out the store stuck to the letter of the policy, which is that CT won't accept returns if you are unhappy with an item. If only they'd been honest with their customer in the first place!

Lallouz S.|C.: I just got home from the Cote des Neiges, Montreal store after arguing with the manager Johanne B., I bought a RCA home stereo from another Canadian Tire 2 weeks ago and was told I can return it at any location if I didn't like it. I went here because it's closer to my home, and before the manager even saw my receipt told me I can only have a exchange because the box was opened. I had my bill with me and explained to her that it's impossible to test something without opening a box. After spending two hours setting it up it had a hissing sound when it was on, so I told her I didn't want another one (that was her suggestion - buy another one - she was clearly not seeing my point), that I would like my money back as promised to me by the Canadian Tire employee that sold it to me. She was so rude and arrogant just insisting that there is no way to get my money back when I asked to talk to the owner (apparently this location is a franchise and doesn't have to follow all the other Canadian Tire rules) she said he doesn't have time for petty things like this. It might be petty to you but not to me, I spent 2 hours setting it up just to find out it was not worth the money so I had to pack it back up, put it in my car, drive there in -19 weather, carry it to the location from my car and then to get a rude manager who is not willing to even give me a credit note so I can buy something that works. If you are the owner I would fire her in a heartbeat and believe me I would if she worked for me, I'm the owner of a restaurant on St-Catherine street so I know the worth of employees and she is not worth it, obviously from all the other reviews as well. I shop at Canadian Tire all the time, but will never to back to this one, and I will tell all my friends and clients not to go to this location. Something has to be done about the customer service. I hope someone with authority will do something with this constructive criticism.

CTH8R

Seems like he hasn't yet given up on the rest of the chain, though:

Barry C.: I have been a loyal CTC customer for 40 years. Living in several areas during that time. I moved to Brantford 16 years ago and continued to shop at CTC. Aprox. 12 years ago the store moved and had a much bigger venue. Service declined as staff were harder to find and the knowledge of the staff was poorer. 10 years ago the store expanded and then staff were impossible to locate and the knowledge of were items were was non-existant. I found other places to shop due to this but continued go there to get items I could not find anywhere else. 6 years ago I purchased a cottage. I went to the CTC store and loaded up 2 carts of item to furnish my new place. About $1000.00 then waited a line of 15 people waiting. They had 3 check outs open and 2 were having difficulty with items that were not cataloged into the system. I expressed displeasure to the other shoppers and pushed my cart aside and went home. I was followed by several others. I returned the next day thinking this was a bad day for the staff. The same thing happened. I did go to the Owen Sound CTC and picked up the same things and had a good experience. Over the next many years I have gone to the store here and have had similar experiences and wrote 3 letters of displeasure to the head office and had no reply. We purchase a water carbon oxidizer to make carbonated drinks from the store. Every time I go there it is a trial. The return desk to return the empty pressure bottle has a long line and the checkouts are still full. These are not prim times. it is anytime of the day. The staff is still had to find and have no knowledge of what is in the store or the warehouse. I do not shop at CTC with the exception of the Owen Sound store when I am in the area. Plus I express this to everyone I know. The store has gotten to big without the corresponding increase in staff and knowledge.

CTH8R

Yet another customer discovers the truth about the "Easy Returns, Keep Your Receipt" sign: that it means nothing, once you've opened the package. Another new Boycotter!

Grace S.: Canadian Tire should have a Buyer Beware section. I tried returning an Ice Machine today and was told that the canadian Tire Return Policy will NOT take anything back if the package has been opened. the machine was not hurt and was back in it's orginal packaging. I tried it and was not satisfied with the performance. Another man had a heater that he plugged in and wasn't happy with the air flow... again- no returns! It was used! How can one evaluate performance without trying it??? Good customers are made to feel criminal at the counter because of this unreasonable return policy. I am no longer, after many years, a Canadian Tire Customer... and my goal in life will be to warn others of this lack of customer respect wih regards to this Return policy.... Yes! Buyer Beware!!

CTH8R

For some reason, Angry Sangria Guy decided to Troll over on the Facebook thread:

Which store is the "try me out" store? Was that Costco or Walmart or both? Like most consumers, I look before I buy. And if I can't look, I don't buy. Period.

Obviously Angry Sangria Guy is not at all like most people, who are not clairvoyant, and thus unable to tell if they will be satisfied with a product, merely by 'looking' at the package. Maybe they can shake the box. Squeeze the sides a little. If its a big purchase, they might have checked online reviews first, but generally not.

But generally, they don't choose to skip the entire purchase based on a little uncertainty, like Angry Sangria Guy claims THEY do, because consumers are used to the policies at other big stores, which stands behind what they sell.

(Make no mistake: a Satisfaction Guarantee costs a store more money on returns, but they are there for good reason. Stores know people will buy more thing if they think they can bring them back - which Crappy People like Angry Sangria Guy benefit from.)

If Angry Sangria Guy really does want people to shop at the other big stores instead of his, because they all have a Satisfaction Guaratee of SOME kind, that's fine with me!

The problem is, Crappy Tire hides their true policy, including using a big sign saying "Easy Returns" (which hasn't been true for years).

If they really want people to "not buy if they can't look" and try it out first, they should be upfront about breaking from the herd, and trying up upsize profits by refusing to stand behind what they sell.

Their first step should be pulling down those dishonest "easy" signs, and instead have ones saying, "All Sales Are Final", like you see at the other Discount Stores.

Interesting thing: if most people really ARE like Angry Sangria guy? This would have zero (I mean ZERO) effect on sales! LMAO!

Last edited: