CT Challenger

Survival Plan B: give less $$$ to the dealers ...

Canadian Tire Seeks Savings Ahead of Target Arrival - Businessweek

My favourite part:

"Canadian Tire consults with dealer committees for major decisions, making it harder to remove underperforming dealers, and provides an incentive for dealers to order a surplus of sale merchandise and sell the extra at regular price after the sale ends. That increases margins at the company’s expense"

Perhaps those dealers actually have too much 'skin in the game'?

Bushbob

Canadian Tire has not done well in years. The business is struggling. The Canadian Tire stock price today is the same as it was 7 years ago. The poor service they offer is only the tip of the iceberg.

CTH8R

I see CT is still shifting the focus away from their Red Triangle of Crap stores, and continues to buy companies that suck less than they do.

I look forward to the day when there are no Red Triangle stores left at all - just the smaller off-brand stores that don't rip off customers quite as much, LOL!

Last edited:

CT Challenger

Yes, it seems acquisitions are a central part of their plan to hold onto some market share, somewhere.

Also in their plans is Survival Plan C: "fire a bunch of executives" ...

Canadian Tire cuts senior jobs to reduce costs ahead of increased competition

Who's gone? Some familiar names!

Glenn Butt, executive vice-president of customer experience and automotive

Pat Sinnott, executive vice-president of technology and supply chain

Mike Arnett, executive vice-president of corporate development.

Kristine Freudenthaler, senior vice-president of technology

Angela McMonagle, vice-president of investor relations

Somebody's in full-bore Scrooge Mode - just a few weeks before CHRISTMAS?

Ouch!!!

Last edited:

Owner 1

bahaha I love this.
The Facebook copy and paste, well atleast there's some legitimate complaints in there, and as usual some grossly exaggerated ones. NEVER have any flyer products in stock? right. 50 pages, and nothing in stock? I GUARANTEE that's not the case in any store anywhere in the Country. Some items sold out or late to arrive, for sure that's going to happen. The claims of never have anything in stock, well, you'd be pretty foolish to believe.

Now onto the best parts of everything i've read of late on here. The pure sillyness of H8R and Challenger

1] survival plan
2] attempt to hold onto some market share somewhere
3] the day when there are no more red triangle stores left
LOL

You just don't get it do you? This is not a dying brand. We are not closing stores. We are not losing money.
How about an education of the retail landscape in Canada.

Lowe's massive enter into Canada plan has failed and stalled. If they don't manage to acquire Rona, they will leave Canada. Rona's future is cloudy at best. Sears Canada 3rd quarter "improvement" was to get to a $20 million loss with sales down somewhere around 6%
These are some serious once powerhouse companies that are performing terribly on a regular basis.
While the likes of Home Hardware, Walmart, Home Depot and CTC perform well.

let me know when you acquire anything closely resembling an accurate understanding of business, retail, Canadian Tire or anything in the neighbourhood.

wantyounow

Well would you look at that! It was one "buy our stuff, we are Canadian" commercial, just like I said. The commercial isn't even running anymore. The xmas campaign is now running, and there is no "buy our stuff, we are Canadian" in them. Simply a focus on certain gift ideas.

CT Challenger

Interesting theories from The Moaner on how maybe other retailers suck almost as much as Crappy Tire's stores do.

Too bad he didn't bother to post it to the Facebook discussion thread, LOL!

Also interesting theories on why Crappy Tire is NOT a dying brand.

I guess The Moaner isn't one of the top executives who were let go recently.

LMAO!

CT Challenger

Simply a focus on certain gift ideas.

Really?

Which "gift idea" is the Runway/Sam commercial focused on?

On second thought, don't bother. Your half-baked theories are just boring.

At least they let Butt run a store - but I bet the next batch of guys don't do any better with "customer experience" and "automtotive".

Hilarious!

CT Challenger

Hey, Moaner:

Where's all that evidence you said you had about every retailer of automotive batteries in all of Canada?

And where's that info. about the changes of policy on how refunds are given?

Still waiting!!

LOL!

CT Challenger

Hey, Moaner:

Got any lines on some jobs for the now-ex executives let go just a few weeks before Christmas?

Maybe shovelling snow? Dressing up like Santa?

Just curious!

CT Challenger

Have no fear - The Moan will be around shortly with their quarterly 'thank God CT Retail doesn't have to report their own separate results' message.

And, to tell us all how other stores suck nearly as much as CT. Oh, wait - they already did that, LOL!

CTH8R

Interesting advice .. which Crappy is sure to ignore!

Gerald D. With target coming to town its do or die for you CT.
Here is some free advice.
Start selling Canadian quality product again.There is demand for that. Cheap low quality domestic items and made in China items marked up excessively don't cut it anymore. Unfortunately consumers are wise to this nowadays.
Get rid of the restrictive exits which herd you into a cashier line if you are not buying. Annoying
Be truthful to your customers and upgrade training. I pay extra for good service especially if I feel welcome.
Respond with positive feedback and I may return as you are a Canadian institution after all. Good luck, you will need it.

CT Challenger

Interesting article on "Free Shipping Day":

Retailers guarantee delivery by Christmas Eve with Free Shipping Day | CTV News

Apparently, online shopping is going to be increasingly important to retailers as they face U.S. competitors setting up shop in Canada, shifting shopping habits and tight-fisted consumers.

So, how is Crappy's on-line shopping site doing? Didn't they start this up, back in 2000?

Oh, wait: the CT geniuses decided that consumers didn't WANT online shopping! So they shut it all down 4 years ago!

LOL!

But I did hear they are back online ... selling just tires! Try putting THOSE in someone's stocking!

LMAO!

No wonder all those executives are out looking for work, just before Christmas.

Yeah, that part is really kinda sad ... I almost feel sorry for them.

Almost ...

Last edited:

Bushbob

The Canadian Tire online shopping is another in a long list of failures. They just don't seem to have what it takes to make it work inspite of how popular online shopping is.

CTH8R

For sure, IT and CT just never seem to mix.

People who are naive enough to book a service appointment with them, are still finding out at the last minute that the work can't be completed, because the parts weren't reserved for them - the two systems aren't linked.

And, you still have to keep and bring in all your receipts, because the still don't store all the transaction (which would NOT require storage of sensitive personal information, by the way).

So, I can understand them getting rid of Pat Sinnott and Glenn Butt, and putting some younger guys in there to get the job done.

But after all the money they sunk into IT in the past few years? What a waste! Good luck fixing all that before Target shows up with modern IT to eat your lunch for you. LMAO!

Even the dealers are finally getting fed up ... and now the Corp wants to reduce the Dealer's margins even further? Ouch!

Last edited:

CT Challenger

Hey, have you checked out how much those ex-Exec's at Crappy were rakin' in, before the Boarde finally cracked down on them?

Check it out!

http://corp.canadiantire.ca/EN/Investors/Governance/MIC/MIC_2012_eng.pdf

Sinnott was getting $1.3 million to run Technology and Supply Chain - areas that really suck. How's that e-store going, LOL?

Arnett was President, Canadian Tire Retail, which has been in the crapper for years. He was getting $1.6 million.

And they were paying that Butt guy $1.8 million for "Customer Experience and Automotive" - both areas that sucked massively, by all accounts.

So maybe it wasn't a bad idea to can them - didn't seem to be helping at all, having them around, despite the big pay-cheques.

Still, it only saved $4.7 million a year, minus whatever Golder Parachutes they might have had.

And according to the Crappy People who used to post here, Butt actually has a brighter future, since everybody who runs a store gets to be a millionaire by just playing golf all day long! Bet he's finally on the path to "huge coin", huh?

LMAO!

Last edited: