Guest-0367

Posted by an unregistered user
i'm sure the store owners would be just ecstatic if we customers dragged the junk they sold us off to the nearest repair depot or back to the store or whatever so that the stupid thing can get fixed.

ecstatic because they got the junk at a discount in the first place with no return or exchange option.

ecstatic because then they dont have to give us our money back even though the thing doesnt work - too bad, the customer owns it now.

lots of horror stories here and on red flag deals and other complaints sites.

but the customer? not so ecstatic.

waste time taking it home only to find out it doesn't even work. more wasted time boxing it back up again to take it to the store. then the big suprise at the returns desk that they won't even stand behind it. then, gee, thanks ct jerks for arranging the repair for me, instead of giving my money back.

then go home again. do without the use of the thing you just bought brand new. wait around and then call a bunch of times to see if its ready yet. maybe somebody even loses the thing along the way, like you can read about on line. what do they care - they've got your money no matter what.

eventually if you are lucky it might get fixed. you have to go for another extra trip to fetch the thing home again a secpmd time and maybe it'll just break again the next time you try to use it because its junk to begin with. just check out some of the stories out there. google pressure washer.

ct knows these things are junk. that's why they won't stand behind what they sell. instead they sneek in a rule to catch you up. it's not even mentioned on the web page as we now learned.

oh, the customer doesn't like it? well its your fault for being a scammer and a fraudster. we'll just issue a traspass notice. we don't want union whiners like you in our store anyway. how dare you ask to be treated the way other stores would treat you. dont' you know this is Crappy Tire?

customer are better off to just avoid the whole ct mess and buy from somebody who will stand behind their products. costco. walmart if you don't want a membership. home depot even. maybe rona.

whatever you do avoid ct and their crazy repair only or exchange only bs.

is there anything left in the store where you can just get your money back if its junk? doesn't look that way.

CT Me / Lawguy

Trash talking junk!
Is there anything in the store you can get money back on? tons of stuff. In fact about 98% of the store carries a straight up warranty and return option.

Gas powered products are not returnable, it's that simple. Why is that so hard to grasp?
it breaks, it gets fixed under warranty. inconvenient, perhaps. it's not a perfect world, what can ya do. If you'd bothered to pay attention to previous threads and information, although you probably are just someone else who already has been under a different name, you'd have noticed a dozen other products not carried by ct that clearly wre proven, with information directly from the sellers and manufacturers that explain "Repair warranty" for this item if it is found to be defective.

You as a consumer does not have an absolute right just to say give me cash back. If you buy a computer, you can't use it and just hump it back to the store for your cash back. try that with the purchase of a cell phone, an automobile, tires, AA batteries, televisions.... the list goes on. No Act or Legislation is going to cover any of those purcahses and opt to get your cash back. It doesn't work that way, it never has, it never will.

CT Challenger

Trash talking junk!

dude, you’ve got some serious anger issues.

Is there anything in the store you can get money back on? tons of stuff. In fact about 98% of the store carries a straight up warranty and return option.

really? sounds like you are just making up figures now.

remember, we are talking about defective items, here.

what proof do you have that 98% of the items in the store have some kind of "return option" that allows a refund if it's defective?

some internal report you can post? an online survey of products? something from the annual report?

anything at all to show you aren't just making things up?

actually, I looked at 9 randomly chosen items on the web site. Guess what I found?

of those 9 items, 7 had either the 'repair only' or the 'exchange only' warrantiy, so no refund, ever, on roughly 80% of the items in the store.

and the other 2? one was a "special" warranty, and the other said "no warranty". so probably about 100% have no refund.

in fact, not a single item I checked even mentioned "refund" or "money back guarantee" or anything like that

so where is the "tons of stuff" where we can get refunds if it is defective (i.e., "junk")? where's your proof that it's 98% for defective items?

it breaks, it gets fixed under warranty. inconvenient, perhaps. it's not a perfect world, what can ya do.

i'll tell you exactly what us customers can do. we can buy from any other store who will give us a refund, instead of going through the bogus ct repair warranty hassle that was described earlier.

a dozen other products not carried by ct that clearly wre proven, with information directly from the sellers and manufacturers that explain "Repair warranty" for this item if it is found to be defective.

are you really going to dredge up that crap again?

this thread has already shown that all the other major retailers offer refunds for defective items

the only store where the warranty even matters for refund issues is ct

or are you just not paying attentilon?

You as a consumer does not have an absolute right just to say give me cash back.

i guess you really haven't been paying attention.

all those links on the Sale of Goods Act thread describe exactly that. refund if its defective. make no misktake - Ontario consumers have exactly that right.

methinks you just dont like it

No Act or Legislation is going to cover any of those purcahses and opt to get your cash back. It doesn't work that way, it never has, it never will.

see the sale of goods act and the consumer protecton act. refund if its defective. try to pay attention

but the customers? we are way ahead of you on this one.

way ahead

Angry CT Guy

dude, you’ve got some serious anger issues.

really? sounds like you are just making up figures now.

remember, we are talking about defective items, here.

what proof do you have that 98% of the items in the store have some kind of "return option" that allows a refund if it's defective?

some internal report you can post? an online survey of products? something from the annual report?

anything at all to show you aren't just making things up?

actually, I looked at 9 randomly chosen items on the web site. Guess what I found?

of those 9 items, 7 had either the 'repair only' or the 'exchange only' warrantiy, so no refund, ever, on roughly 80% of the items in the store.

and the other 2? one was a "special" warranty, and the other said "no warranty". so probably about 100% have no refund.

in fact, not a single item I checked even mentioned "refund" or "money back guarantee" or anything like that

so where is the "tons of stuff" where we can get refunds if it is defective (i.e., "junk")? where's your proof that it's 98% for defective items?

i'll tell you exactly what us customers can do. we can buy from any other store who will give us a refund, instead of going through the bogus ct repair warranty hassle that was described earlier.

are you really going to dredge up that crap again?

this thread has already shown that all the other major retailers offer refunds for defective items

the only store where the warranty even matters for refund issues is ct

or are you just not paying attentilon?

i guess you really haven't been paying attention.

all those links on the Sale of Goods Act thread describe exactly that. refund if its defective. make no misktake - Ontario consumers have exactly that right.

methinks you just dont like it

see the sale of goods act and the consumer protecton act. refund if its defective. try to pay attention

but the customers? we are way ahead of you on this one.

way ahead

Still trying to win on your interpretation? Even though you can't find even one example that says CTC's return policy is illegal?
The retailer must make good on defective items and how they make good is up go them. If it is an exchange, then it is an exchange. That will most certainly stop the "I just wanted to try it out to see if I like it crowd", or the "I just needed it for the weekend crowd", or the "I had buyer's remorse after I used it crowd". Yep, for all those people looking to get cash back.....they better shop somewhere other than CT.
Most legitimate customers are happy with an exchange. And if something is truly defective right from the factory, a full recall is issued....for a CASH refund...every time. For all other items, true defects are not the norm and that's why exchanges work.

Angry CT Guy

Here’s Part One of my report into the return policies at Canadian Tire.

Recall that I've already asked the following question about pressure washers and lawn mowers at Costco, Walmart and Home Depot:
"If I take it home and it doesn't work, how much time do I have to get a refund?"
Now, it's Canadian Tire's turn.

The idea is to look at the simplest case, when the customer is innocent, the product is clearly defective, and the customer followed all the right steps.

If the policy allows a period of time, even a day, when all models of washers and mowers can be refunded, then I’ll give the store an “A” (Refunds Provided).

If the policy doesn’t allow a refund, but does allow a period when all models of washers and mowers can be exchanged, then I’ll give the store a “B” (Exchange Provided).

If the there are any models of washer or mowers that cannot be refunded or exchanged, then I’ll give the store a fail of “F” (No Refund, No Exchange).

I started out by checking the following sources:

1 - Official store web site policy for in-store purchases in Ontario.

2 – The "1-800" customer service number.

3 –Google search for a standard phrase.

4 – Information available in the aisles of the store.

5 – Speaking to store personnel (Returns desk).

There’s a lot to report on at the CT web site, so I’ll just start with that.

-----

Here is the Canadian Tire web site on refunds and exchanges:
The site starts with a promising statement: “Easy returns: Save your receipt”.

This is followed by, “To return an item for exchange or refund, bring it to any Canadian Tire store within 90 days, in its original condition and packaging, with your receipt and issue of Canadian Tire ‘Money’”.

A consumer who didn’t keep reading might not realize that none of that applies to a defective item, because the site adds a specific statement:
“If a product is defective, the manufacturer’s warranty will apply.”
What does that mean, exactly? How come Canadian Tire is linking their refund policy to the warranty, when the other major retailers don’t? How come there isn’t a general policy for all outdoor power equipment?

And how do you know what the warranty is? Go to the store and look in the box? Ask at the Customer Service desk? I'm just trying to do some on-line research.

Well, something I’ve found by looking around on the web site, is that most products have a “Features” section, that generally includes a note about a warranty. For pressure washers and mowers, these generally say “repair only warranty”.

OK, but what is a “repair only” warranty? I couldn’t find a description on the site, and no other major retailers mention it. Besides, what does all this have to do with getting a refund for a defective item?

Also, some products are “exchange only”. What does that mean? Is a refund allowed? What is the policy?

No, the “refunds” pages doesn’t really answer any of these questions.

Do I give an A, B or F?

Maybe the customer service line will help.

Don't forget the "some exceptions may apply" part.

Actually, this may be a far better topic than the untrue "illegal policy" slant you normally tried to garner support for.

I'm in agreement with you from way back about the disclosure and understanding of return policies. When it is different for an item that is repair only, I think a separate disclosure should go out with the item rather than relying on a "some exceptions do apply" line.

CT Me / Lawguy

How do I know items are returnable? Because I own a store.....I see what goes in and out every single day. 7 days per week I see the exact dollar figure of refunds issued and guess what, not a day goes by where that number is ZERO. That means, we return money every day to customers for various reasons.

If it's gas powered, you own it! It will be repaired if it breaks. period. end of story. despite the fact you've chosen not to believe the facts, HOme Depot, Lowes, Rona, John Deere, they all operate the same way. You're just listening to davidler tell you otherwise. When your Home Depot lawnmower breaks down, and you end up at the local small engine shop having it tuned up, tell them i said hello. In fact here, the repair shop is the same for us and for the other retailers, so your mower will be next to a ct garden tractor in the shop. Don't believe me? Find out who the local authorized repair center for such items are and head down there. Ask them which retailers they are doing repair warranties for.... you will be shocked and embarassed to find out it's probably ALL OF THEM!
I check with my local depot every two weeks just to see how my customers are being treated and sure as heck, there's other retailers items there for warranty work. how do you explain that? and that answer is NOT, i'm lying LOL

YOur CPA interpretation continues to be wrong. In fact lets call your interpretation, illegal....just for fun.
retailers must honour their stated policy/warranty. That's what the rules say. it does not say, customers may select their own policy. LOL what a world that would be. We'd all be out of business.
Call it however you want, it has no impact on me. If my business lawyers, and my Corporate lawyers come down and say hey we need to change our policy, it violates consumer law, I will gladly follow along. Until then, I trust fully that out of the 10 billion dollars CT collected in revenue last year, some of it was spent on making sure we operate within the law.

Isn't about time you commented on something we did wrong 30 years ago to prove how smart you are?

Guest-0367

Yup, just the same old tired lies and BS by the CT Rep's.

Well, consumers who have researched this issue have already seen all the proof they need, and know not to shop at CT. Other stores have decent policies; too bad for CT.

And if consumers happen to fall victim to your scams, they know which Ministry to contact.

Lots of proof has been offered about refunds being required. But where's your proof to refute any of it? Huh?

There doesn't seem to be any. Just your own BS and guess-work, and one out-dated BBB site.

Not very compelling.

So instead of proof, you are once again you are resorting to lies. But they are so transparent, that nobody is going to fall for them.

Your "legitimate" customers are happy with an exchange, huh?

We've all heard the stories about innocent consumers being treated as a scammer, just for wanting to return the junk CT tried to pass off as merchantable products. I guess we can see now where that bad attitude comes from.

Happy are they? Not true, based on the complaints on many web sites. Plus it won't apply to anybody who fell for the "repair only" policy/scam, now will it?

Nice try, though.

And you should learn what a recall means, and why it doesn't apply to these cases.

Oh, and where's your evidence that 98% of your items have a "refund option" if they are defective?

Oh, wait - that was just more BS, too. No need for use to wait - thanks for the confession, though.

CT Me / Lawguy

Don't forget the "some exceptions may apply" part.

Actually, this may be a far better topic than the untrue "illegal policy" slant you normally tried to garner support for.

I'm in agreement with you from way back about the disclosure and understanding of return policies. When it is different for an item that is repair only, I think a separate disclosure should go out with the item rather than relying on a "some exceptions do apply" line.

Well good news for you. As I mentioned in previous discussions, in my store, and for sure in some others but not all, a warning on the register prompts cashiers to hand directly to the customer the warranty and repair information for certain products. So there is zero confusion. All gas powered items, bicycles, tents and pressure washers to name a few. They have folders at each cash lane, and they can't skip the warning message, it pops up product specific.
Now they leave my store with no questions or discrepencies and can make their warranty process as smooth as possible.

I know it's reduced a lot of problems and questions and my Managers don't get called up to customer service to explain things to customers very often for the most common ones. I wish all dealers would adopt this simple policy

Guest-0367

a warning on the register prompts cashiers to hand directly to the customer the warranty and repair information for certain products.

Awesome! It sound like you have turned cheating customers into a well-oiled machine, doing a pre-emptive strike to fool them into thinking they don't have any right to a refund!

You tell them that only the warranty applies, and they can only get it fixed huh?

Gee, how about printing out something like, "You are entitled to a full refund for a defective item under the CPA. Call the Ministry at 1-800-xxx-yyyy to learn more".

But, I guess that would be less lucrative than just plain lying, huh?

CT Me / Lawguy

Awesome! It sound like you have turned cheating customers into a well-oiled machine, doing a pre-emptive strike to fool them into thinking they don't have any right to a refund!

You tell them that only the warranty applies, and they can only get it fixed huh?

Gee, how about printing out something like, "You are entitled to a full refund for a defective item under the CPA. Call the Ministry at 1-800-xxx-yyyy to learn more".

All we do is tell them the truth brother, not some complainers interpretation of a law. Like I suggested previously, if you're that convinced, go buy a pressure washer, break it, demand a refund and sue for damages when you are denied the refund. You can start a class action suit and retire from your union leach job early

CT Me / Lawguy

By the way, love the fact you state that a seperate disclosure sheet should go out for warranties with items and then slam the idea as a "well oiled scam" when I tell you that's what some stores do, including mine.

Classic complainer. Ask for smething specific, and then when it's provided still can't accept it as good! So you're basically a life-long complainer who p robably thinks the world owes him something. Guess what boy, make it yourself in this world, quit looking for handouts. SOme of us stood on our own two feet and our own merits and made life work for us. Sorry that you can't

Guest-0276

All we do is tell them the truth brother, not some complainers interpretation of a law. Like I suggested previously, if you're that convinced, go buy a pressure washer, break it, demand a refund and sue for damages when you are denied the refund. You can start a class action suit and retire from your union leach job early

lol none of you worthless union CT haters have the balls or the CASH to back up their claims. NONE. Go ahead and sue us. We'll sic one the corporate lawyers against you. I'm sure legal aid will be more than adequate for you lol. You've already made this into your side show personal hobby, why not go all the way with it. It's that easy. You'll be the thanked by all those union goof balls who'll magically show up, working or not lol.

Guest-0367

All we do is tell them the truth brother,

Well, actually, it sounds like all you do is lie to them.

And, naturally, you lie to people on this site, as has been proven over and over again.

not some complainers interpretation of a law.

Argeed, don't tell them one's person's interpretation.

Just tell them the interpretation of the experts, as consumers have been doing on this site. Pretty simple, don't you think?

This is the truth, whether you like it or not: CPA and SGA apply to these transactions, and require a refund for a defective product. Already proven. No need to discuss further. Learn to live with it.

Like I suggested previously, if you're that convinced, go buy a pressure washer, break it, demand a refund and sue for damages when you are denied the refund.

Well, that would be fraud, now, woudn't it?

But that does show your attitude towards your customers: no way they could have a legitimate problem with the crap we agreed to stock, so they must be liars. Better call security and issue the trespass notice.

Actually, nobody here needs to go and buy anything.

Lots of complaints showing up like clock work, of people who've fallen victim to this scam.

Well, you CT rep's just don't get it, do you?

Nobody on this site has to convince you of anything.

All that's needed is to inform consumers about the poor practices at CT. (And you are sure doing a good job on that! Thanks!).

And, of course, to let the consumers know whom they should contact in cases of defective products: their Ministry of Consumer Protection.

The rest of it is just extras to help them undestand the depths to which CT is sinking.

Now, you CT Rep's would be wise to pay attention, too.

But maybe you already have, and that's why they want so badly to trick people?

Interesting idea. It would sure explain a lot of the lies.

CT Me / Lawguy

And, naturally, you lie to people on this site, as has been proven over and over again.

Just tell them the interpretation of the experts, as consumers have been doing on this site. Pretty simple, don't you think?

This is the truth, whether you like it or not: CPA and SGA apply to these transactions, and require a refund for a defective product. Already proven. No need to discuss further. Learn to live with it.

But that does show your attitude towards your customers: no way they could have a legitimate problem with the crap we agreed to stock, so they must be liars. Better call security and issue the trespass notice.

Lots of complaints showing up like clock work, of people who've fallen victim to this scam.

All that's needed is to inform consumers about the poor practices at CT. (And you are sure doing a good job on that! Thanks!).

And, of course, to let the consumers know whom they should contact in cases of defective products: their Ministry of Consumer Protection.

The rest of it is just extras to help them undestand the depths to which CT is sinking.

I would happily provide anybody with a broken pressure washer or lawn mower with the number for the Ministry that governs our practices. I'll give them the number and dial it for them right from my office so that they can hear first hand a case file worker tell them exactly what i already know. if the unit says repair warranty, and the seller is saying hey go have it repaired, it costs you nothing thats the warranty term, they will stand behind that remedy.
I know that because i've made that phone call myself to say hey, i have a complaining customer who says i can't send a unit for repair. I still recall the exact words which are "as long as you are making good on the defective item, the type of remedy is up to the seller to determine. The only time we get involved is if the seller breaks the term"

(by the way there is no ministry of consumer protection) Its ministry of consumer affairs or consumer services loser

Angry CT Guy

What's "lots of customers"?.....if you're talking about the 6 or 8 posters on here, some real, some not.....then I think I'll take my chances with the 700-900 customers I see each and every day of the week....and that's just one store.
"lots" of customers on the other 600 sucks.com sites too....but I don't see Walmart, Costco, Home Depot, Target, Sears and ALL the others going out of business anytime soon.
You lose, loser, you lose.

Guest-0276

Your pressure washer is broken, mower, whatever, use the warranty it came with. Every other store is the same. You want your money back for a broken item that YOU may have broken? Fat chance. Use the warranty and get out of my store. You're not feeling satisfied with your purchase, and want to be brave, then take us to court, go right ahead. I'm sure the judge will be very patient with your frivolous lawsuit wasting the courts time. I'm sure my lawyers will be asking for all of our costs when we win, and maybe for other things as well. So bring it on DavidLer and false consumer prophets. Bring it on!

Guest-0276

I guess we'll have to settle it in court then. You and every other lazy union slob who feels wronged by CT. So go ahead and pool your welfare checks sue one of us millionaire dealers. I'm sure shaking in my boots for the ass whipping we're about to receive. You lose loser. Take your meds moron.

Angry CT Guy

Yup, just the same old tired lies and BS by the CT Rep's.

Well, consumers who have researched this issue have already seen all the proof they need, and know not to shop at CT. Other stores have decent policies; too bad for CT.

And if consumers happen to fall victim to your scams, they know which Ministry to contact.

Lots of proof has been offered about refunds being required. But where's your proof to refute any of it? Huh?

There doesn't seem to be any. Just your own BS and guess-work, and one out-dated BBB site.

Not very compelling.

So instead of proof, you are once again you are resorting to lies. But they are so transparent, that nobody is going to fall for them.

Your "legitimate" customers are happy with an exchange, huh?

We've all heard the stories about innocent consumers being treated as a scammer, just for wanting to return the junk CT tried to pass off as merchantable products. I guess we can see now where that bad attitude comes from.

Happy are they? Not true, based on the complaints on many web sites. Plus it won't apply to anybody who fell for the "repair only" policy/scam, now will it?

Nice try, though.

And you should learn what a recall means, and why it doesn't apply to these cases.

Oh, and where's your evidence that 98% of your items have a "refund option" if they are defective?

Oh, wait - that was just more BS, too. No need for use to wait - thanks for the confession, though.

Outdated BBB article? I'm no math wiz, but that article was dated 2009-well after the CPA (2002) and sale of goods act (1996).

How you doing with the examples of CTC and illegal return policy in the same article/ruling/sentence? Not so good, I take it.

Other than your opinion, you still don't have any credible "evidence" either.

CT Me / Lawguy

How you doing with the examples of CTC and illegal return policy in the same article/ruling/sentence? Not so good, I take it.

Other than your opinion, you still don't have any credible "evidence" either.

Don't forget the reports of "Top 20 Retailers in Canada" - still waiting on the details of that report, which i'm sure is in the same file as the illegal return policy.

CT Challenger

The lying CT reps (assuming there are more than one) can sure post lots of lie on this site, but none of that will make the painful truth go away. Too bad, so sad - CPA and SOG still apply.

You need to re-check your math, by the way. The BBB site has information on an old law the CPA superceded. But I guess you just weren't paying attention, huh? Like most points of discussion, that one was wrapped up long ago. Too bad the lying CP rep's deceptions aren't working.

Regarding that phone call, it sure wasn't made to the Ontario number, because that's not what they've told other people who've called. Another typical CT rep lie. Good thing we're onto you, and won't waste any more time chasing your BS. I really don't think you callled at all - at least not Ontario.

You might hope you've accomplished something with all your lies here, but really you're just showing the true colours of CT Rep's.

Are you kidding me with that lame old "all stores are the same" line? Now THAT one has TONS of evidence!

See, it really doesn't take more than a phone call and a few mouse clicks to see just how pathetic and desperate you are.

Apparently you can't even tell new lies; just the same old ones that have already been disproven here, long ago, LOL.

Too bad for you that consumers are onto you and your tactics, and will just check for themselves.

Nice try, with the insults. I think we've all moved past that, now, though.

Well, good luck with your on-going scams. You're going to need all the luck you can get - LOL hilarious!